Boros Beatdown

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is the boros deck that I came up with.
Deck

Side Board
[deck]
3 mirran crusader
3 ratchet bomb
3 timely reinforcements
2 nihil spellbomb
4 revoke existence[/deck]

I'm still not sure if running elspeth and urabrask is a good idea.  ill take suggestions for improvements.
Well, you have a lot of good cards in there, and your mana curve is solid. I think the only issue is that it seems like a slightly jumbled version of a token deck. Take out the red and add green cards like parallel lives mayor of avabruck etc. and you have a token deck. I would try and condense the theme of your deck. I feel like it lacks synergy. But the only way to tell is to play test.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isgreen.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/04/20
Boros is fun. Arc Trail over Incinerate. Everything below is my personal opinion, but Incin should really be Trail.

Have you had any trouble reliably getting the black Flashback requirement for Lingering Souls? Because if you don't draw that black mana source, you're stuck with... a worse Midnight Haunting, I guess. I mean, no lie, Souls is nuts, but I wonder if maybe if you would have more consistency if you just cut it for more burn. Galvanic Blast or Gut Shot work.

I don't like really like Urabrask the Hidden here. You're not getting a huge value out of him since he sits at the top of curve and he's basically just setting you up for next turn at best. My thinking is, best case scenario, you drop Ura turn 5 and you're holding a Hero in your hand so when you drop her next turn she'll be haste-y, but realistically you could have dropped the Hero this turn and achieved almost the same result, while having one spare mana for, I dunno, Galvanic Blast or something. Or some other one-drop you just top decked.

I mean, I hate to just suggest HERP DERP TITAN instead, but... Herp Derp Titan. Devil's Play might also make a decent finisher in Ura's place.

Just my two cents:
-2 Ura
-4 Lingering Souls
-3 Incinerate

+1 Traveler
+1 Noble
+4 Arc Trail
+3 Galv Blast (or maybe Gut)
one of the things that i was trying to do iwth this deck was abuse hellrider's ability, so i need to keep red in the deck.  thats also the reason for making it token heavy.
What about Gather the Townsfolk instead.  Splashing for that black just seems like a waste.

I second the opnion on the Hidden.  You dont want anymore 5 drops than you absolutely need.  Hidden seems only usefull in decks that can cheat him in early.  Compare his come into play benefit to that of your other 5 drop.  No comparison.

I like the deck idea though.  Looks like a blast to play.
another card that i thought of putting in today was curse of stalked prey.  it would act like any of the token pump spells or honor the pure.
perhaps consider pyreheart wolf? i dont like it since it doesnt have haste. but since it has undying if you use the enchantment, it allows them all more likely to hit.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
UR Control
another card that i thought of putting in today was curse of stalked prey.  it would act like any of the token pump spells or honor the pure.

You know, I don't hate that idea. It's not a super great card, but it's a fun concept.

If I were to make a deck like this for FNM or something, I might do something like this:

Then probably a couple Swords or Devil's Play and something like 22 lands or so. Maybe some stuff to consider.

You know, I don't hate that idea. It's not a super great card, but it's a fun concept.

If I were to make a deck like this for FNM or something, I might do something like this:

Then probably a couple Swords or Devil's Play and something like 22 lands or so. Maybe some stuff to consider.

Seems like a possibility..maybe i'll slap this build together just to test.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
UR Control
thanks for all the imput.  this is what i have now:
Deck

Side Board
[deck] 3 mirran crusader
3 ratchet bomb
3 timely reinforcements
2 nihil spellbomb
4 revoke existence [/deck]

Let me know what you think.
made some more changes and this is what i have now
Deck

Side Board
[deck]3 mirran crusader
3 ratchet bomb
3 timely reinforcements
2 nihil spellbomb
4 revoke existence[/deck]

I believe that grand abolishers will help a lot.
abolisher is the nuts against control

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

rwu
Do you have any results from match ups? Also, how often do you get a turn two bloodthirsted Beserker? I'm just wondering about cutting him for Accorder Paladin if I don't reliably get him turn two pumped. Also, I feel like Blackcleave Cliffs and one or two Isolated Chapel might be the best splash for black since you still want to be aggressive. Also, do you mind if I just piggyback on your thread to minimize the clutter in the forum? This is what I'm thinking about testing on MTGO soon, and if it does well, at FNM:

Creatures
4 Doomed Traveler
4 Champion of the Parish
4 Accorder Paladin
4 Hellrider
2 Hero of Bladehold
2 Hero of Oxid Ridge

Other Spells
4 Gather the Townsfolk
4 Lingering Souls
3 Midnight Haunting
3 Arc Trail
2 Rally the Peasants

Lands
4 Clifftop Retreat
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
1 Isolated Chapel (maybe two if I don't hit black mana often)
11 Plains
4 Mountain

Sideboard
4 Grand Abolisher (I don't know my meta yet, so he could be main deck)
4 Revoke Existence (Tempered Steel and Heartless Summoning?)
4 Celestial Purge (RDW and Zombies?)
3 Oblivion Ring (Titans, etc.)

Sideboard is all over the place since I don't know the meta.

Tested online a bit today, and didn't do too shabby. I beat G/R Aggro (I think), U/B Delver, U/W Delver, B/W Tokens, and B/R Vamps. I lost to W/U Humans and some really weird G/B/U Zombie-ish I have no idea list (it was also the first game). This is what I'm running right now:

Creatures
4 Doomed Traveler
4 Champion of the Parish
4 Accorder Paladin
4 Hellrider
2 Hero of Bladehold

Other Spells
4 Gather the Townsfolk
4 Lingering Souls
4 Honor of the Pure
3 Arc Trail
3 Midnight Haunting

Lands
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
4 Clifftop Retreat
2 Isolated Chapel
10 Plains
4 Mountain

Sideboard
4 Grand Abolisher
4 Celestial Purge
3 Oblivion Ring
3 Timely Reinforcements
1 Hero of Bladehold

Three cards in particular make the deck: Lingering Souls, Honor of the Pure, and Hellrider. It may seem like I should just go B/W Tokens, but Hellrider and Arc Trail are so good. Plus, if I have issues with finishing games, I can throw in more burn like Brimstone Volley or Hero of Oxid Ridge. Honor of the Pure is definitely better than the Rally the Peasants pump I had going on. Arc Trail is very good versus U/W Humans, B/R Vamps, and other aggro decks. I'm even thinking about trying to make way for a fourth one through the sideboard. Hellrider just leads to some unexpected blowouts. I haven't had much trouble with the RR casting cost, same with getting black mana for Lingering Souls. I killed an opponent at nineteen with an army of tokens and resolving a Hellrider. I'm liking him a lot more than Hero of Oxid Ridge at the moment, but I may eventually split them main deck or put one in the sideboard. Lingering Souls is just as nuts as people make it out to be. Doomed Traveler and Lingering Souls make coming back from sweepers not much of an issue, especially if you have a Hellrider or Hero of Bladehold ready to boot. I will keep testing this build the next couple of days, and if all goes well I may try to put the list together for FNM this week.
Sign In to post comments