so who is going to go

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
see the john carter movie?

a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
isnt this movie apart of the princess of mars stuff???
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....

I thought the first one was the Princess of Mars.

I think I'll go.

I don't know if I'll go see it, probably wait to rent.
Yes, I do regret my Forum Name...Tech N9ne is clearly the best rapper of all time. I am currently looking to get in on a Real Adventures PbP game. PM me if you are looking for another PC.
Oh I definately will!
I've been an ERB fan ever since High School... and that was a long time ago!

I'm not sure how well the movie will follow the book though... not that it matters, the previews look awesome!
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."- John Stuart Mill “Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”― William F. Buckley "The straw in your man is amazing."- Maxperson Original Hipster of the House of Trolls: I was hipster before hipster was cool Resident Hater Mini Hate Machine

I thought the first one was the Princess of Mars.

I think I'll go.

It is the first one.
There are 11 in that series.

ERB also created Tarzan, and has a number of novels set on Venus as well as the interior of the Earth.
I have read almost everything ERB has written. He is one o' my favorite authors.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."- John Stuart Mill “Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”― William F. Buckley "The straw in your man is amazing."- Maxperson Original Hipster of the House of Trolls: I was hipster before hipster was cool Resident Hater Mini Hate Machine
Oh I definately will!
I've been an ERB fan ever since High School... and that was a long time ago!

I'm not sure how well the movie will follow the book though... not that it matters, the previews look awesome!

I'm down too.  I am also an ERB fan.  I recently dusted off my copy of the first three mars books, and I have also read some Tarzan and Pellucidar.  (I just did some work on a Pellucidar/Land of the Lost adventure setting.)  From what I have seen, I think the movie will not stray too far off from the book.  It definitely features a lot of the scenes, characters, cities, airships, creatures and the atmosphere generator from the first story.  They are going to have to tweak the ending or use some stuff from the second book.

So if myself and others like the movie and there is a desire for a sequel, it is going to have to make a ton of money.  It cost over 200 million and will need to make 700 million world wide to warrant a sequel.  Unfortunately some preliminary research has not looked good.  If the film makes 50 million or less it will be a failure, and if can get towards a 100 million it will be a success.

Here is a cool website with summaries of ERBs books.

www.erblist.com/erblist/summaries.html
Chelsea FC - winner of 2012 FA Cup and Champions League Champions of Europe! Three Lions Resident Footie

Awesome!

EDIT: Have you read any of the Tarzan books? I have read the first 14 and then a few of the last ones. I really enjoyed them! And I wish he would have expanded more on the Venus books.
I've been meaning to get around to the John Carter books for a few years now. I'd rather read the books before seeing any of the movies.
It's a Russian water tentacle!

Awesome!

EDIT: Have you read any of the Tarzan books? I have read the first 14 and then a few of the last ones. I really enjoyed them! And I wish he would have expanded more on the Venus books.

I have not read any Tarzan since I was a kid, I definitely looked for the more fantastic stories back then and still have a half a dozen Tarzan books.  I liked the Tarzan/Pellucidar crossover, and I want to check out the Venus books.  I think a cool game setting could be a mashup of ERBs Venus/Mars books with a dash of Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers for starters.
Chelsea FC - winner of 2012 FA Cup and Champions League Champions of Europe! Three Lions Resident Footie
... and Buck Rogers for starters.

I refuse to support anything Buck Rogers related until Lorraine Williams snuffs it.
... and Buck Rogers for starters.

I refuse to support anything Buck Rogers related until Lorraine Williams snuffs it.

Well that is kind of interesting...Does she still have rghts on the IP?  Anyways, I like  the black and white serials of Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon.
Does she still have rghts on the IP?

That's my reason. If she wasn't still one of the IP holders I'd willingly read or watch Buck Rogers. So long as she is in a position to benefit from it I refuse to support it.

Mind you, if someone else draws inspiration from it, hey, good for them. But I refuse to allow it as an influence. (I suppose having watched the old Buck Rogers show that ran from '79-'81 back when I was a small one there may be some influence I am unaware of, though.)
Call me a Philistine, but I'm only familiar with Duck Dodgers
Sign In to post comments