Favorite Diseases

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm working on a story arc that takes place in a quarantine envrioment. What are some of your favorite diseases and conditions that I might infect some of my players with. I have several from the books and some custom ones I've made myself, but any others would add a lot of variety. Thanks!
"A DM only rolls dice because of the sound they make" Gary Gygax 1938-2008
Hmm if you want to go all Cujo on the party, Moon Frenzy works. It's a good solid disease, especially in its greater incarnation.

If you're level 30 though, SLIMY DOOM! I mean, it's name is SLIMY DOOM! It has to be bad. This isn't a whole "I got the Slimy Doom and need to take some antibiotics for a week...", it's "OHGODSHELP*unintelligble glubbing and slopping noises*"
Spiteful Wizard and Voice of Reason of the House of Trolls The Silent God of the House of Trolls Unfrozen OTTer Arbiter of the House of Trolls Yes, I have many titles. Deal with it.
A disease that shrinks your penis 1 cm(go with 1/2 inch if you uses inches) with every failed save. Your players will be scrambling to get cured, you mark my words.

"You wake up in the morning. As you glance down your little friend seems... Different somehow. The word "little" has never been so adequate a description for it. Remove 1 cm from its length." And you can even infect them with it without having to change combat encounters due to the effects. Sweetness.

I do propose a -1 per lost cm on bluff, diplomacy and intimidate attempts on members of the opposite sex, though.
A disease that shrinks your penis 1 cm(go with 1/2 inch if you uses inches) with every failed save. Your players will be scrambling to get cured, you mark my words.

"You wake up in the morning. As you glance down your little friend seems... Different somehow. The word "little" has never been so adequate a description for it. Remove 1 cm from its length." And you can even infect them with it without having to change combat encounters due to the effects. Sweetness.

I do propose a -1 per lost cm on bluff, diplomacy and intimidate attempts on members of the opposite sex, though.

My party is made up of four women and a small child. Two of the players are male, but most of the characters either don't have penises or wouldnt care.
Slime rot - caused from coming in contact either with an infected slime or certain underground molds.  Causes the slow breakdown of cellular structure in the body and eventually becoming a green slime.  Effect is 1d3 con dmg per day until reaches 0.  Can be cured by a DC 12 cure desease spell.

Black Withering - causes the victim to have a spell resistance 12 to healing spells/potions.  Causes the victims extremities (fingers, toes, nose, ears, etc) to blacken.  DC20 cure desease.

Swamp mind - contracted from cursed mist in a bog or swamp.  Player is affected as the Confusion spell except the caster is considered the closest creature.  A roll of 50% or higher will cause the listed effect and reduce the players wisdom score by 1d3.  Once the wisdom reaches 0 the player falls into a vegitative state.  DC 20 cure desease or remove curse.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

you might run into some resistance slapping diseases on your players that affect their stats or ability to get things done just as a facet of the start of the campaign.

may i suggest that they are "diseased" or "plagued" and thats the end of it.

people will respond to them as if they are diseased and possibly/probably shun them (which is an obstacle to overcome).  you can power your monsters up a LITTLE over the norm if you want to simulate weakness (but buffing monsters is probably preferable to nerfing your players) from the disease.

finally, if the disease gets worse or will eventually kill its subjects, you can just write it in like a plot-related time limit (which it is).  getting medication or beneficial magic can extend the time, whereas extra exposure or failed magic (mutations!) can reduce the time limit.

this keeps out any resentment for meddling with characters, maintains all the feel of the disease as well as its impact on the plot, and, as an added bonus, you characters can describe their OWN disease (i can just see the small child choosing chicken pox :-p )       
Tubaman: You've hit my delima on the head, I don't want to cripple them but I want it to feel real in some way. I thought about making them vampire or werewolves (won't lie, got the idea while watching the new Underworld movie) but that just makes them more powerful and complete social pariahs.
I'm hoping to give them a new challenge that doesn't really hurt or help them too much, more just makes them adapt to how they play, both in their abilities and social interaction.
Y'all have given me some great ideas so far, looking forward to what you come up with next!
Following Tubaman's great suggestion, if you want to represent the change by powering up the monsters rather than the PCs, you could have a disease that affects perception and mental state.  Hallucinations, delirium, etc.  As far as the characters can tell, they're not doing things differently, but everything just got a lot more dangerous.  Uplevel an old, familiar class of enemy (one they've already outleveled) way beyond what they expect (level 9 goblins, for instance) to give them difficulty facing something that they should be able to walk all over.  If you really feel like being mean, you could have that band of "drow assassins" they just defeated turn out to be sick townsfolk.
Following Tubaman's great suggestion, if you want to represent the change by powering up the monsters rather than the PCs, you could have a disease that affects perception and mental state.  Hallucinations, delirium, etc.  As far as the characters can tell, they're not doing things differently, but everything just got a lot more dangerous.  Uplevel an old, familiar class of enemy (one they've already outleveled) way beyond what they expect (level 9 goblins, for instance) to give them difficulty facing something that they should be able to walk all over.  If you really feel like being mean, you could have that band of "drow assassins" they just defeated turn out to be sick townsfolk.

Love it. Stealing it.
Cooties.

Everyone hates getting the Cooties.
Support Cedric Diggory, the real Hogwarts Champion!