Amethyst's First Deck

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
EDIT!: The updated decklist is on page 2.
Rate it if ya dont mind. 5 stars being best 1 star being worst.

Ok so this is my first Deck......Online.
I'd like some rating/ideas to improve it since im fairly new to Magic in any competitive....or not.....or heck well I can play the game with the best of em I just cant build a deck for the life of me. 

This deck is Standard Format.

Lands 25
Creatures 22
Other 13

Land:
Plains x 25

Artifacts:
Elixir Of Immortality x 1
Accorder's Shield x 1
Sword of Body and Mind x 1
Kiln Walker x 1 

Creatures:
Accorder Paladin x 2
Elite Vanguard x 3
Stormfront Pegasus x 3
Benalish Veteran x 2
Elite Inquisitor x 1
Kemba's Skyguard x 1
Leonin Skyhunter x 1
Loxodon Convert x 1
Armored Warhorse x 1
Pride Guardian x 1
Serra Angel x 1 
Stonehorn Dignitary x 1
Aegis Angel x 1
Sunblast Angel x 1
Sun Titan x 1

Enchantment's:
Arrest x 1
Divine Favor x 2
Pacifism x 1

Instant's: 
Demystify x 2
Guardians' Pledge x 1
Mighty Leap x 1

Sorceries: 
 Remember the Fallen x 1
Timely Reinforcements x 1 

Thats it. I welcome all critciszm on this deck, however I am not changing Serra Angel.

Edit: I've gotten a Sword of Body and Mind and replaced my Greatsword
Well the first thing is if you put [ c ] card name [ /c ] (without the spaces) round the cards it will make a link to the card image making it easier for us to see what you are using. Then you will probably also get more and better advice in the proper forum, which is the standard-casual forum over on the paper side of these boards.

That said you probably want to start by making most of those cards x4. This will improve the consistency of the deck.
Then decide if this is a controlling deck or an aggro deck.
If its control (ie slow decks that plans to win the late game with big creatures) you want more pacifisms and arrests and less elite vanguards.
If its aggro (ie fast decks that play lots of small stuff to kill them quickly) you want more elite vanguards and less big expensive creatures.

Then when you have done that (or maybe whilst you are deciding what sort of deck it is) play lots of casual games see what works and what doesn't. Get rid of the bad stuff and put in more of the good stuff.
Either way it is along way from being a competitive deck so stick to casual play with it.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

Well the first thing is if you put [ c ] card name [ /c ] (without the spaces) round the cards it will make a link to the card image making it easier for us to see what you are using. Then you will probably also get more and better advice in the proper forum, which is the standard-casual forum over on the paper side of these boards.

That said you probably want to start by making most of those cards x4. This will improve the consistency of the deck.
Then decide if this is a controlling deck or an aggro deck.
If its control (ie slow decks that plans to win the late game with big creatures) you want more pacifisms and arrests and less elite vanguards.
If its aggro (ie fast decks that play lots of small stuff to kill them quickly) you want more elite vanguards and less big expensive creatures.

Then when you have done that (or maybe whilst you are deciding what sort of deck it is) play lots of casual games see what works and what doesn't. Get rid of the bad stuff and put in more of the good stuff.
Either way it is along way from being a competitive deck so stick to casual play with it.

Well i'm not entirely sure if its aggro or what, and I absolutely will make some of those 4's in the future as I get more cards. I appreciate that tip. I'll hop on making them links as well. As far as conistency goes its fairly steady, and, I win most of my games. The two decks this seems to have trouble with are blue decks that like to use alot of spell cancelling, and poison counter decks. This is all in the "Just For Fun" section where these wins are coming from. Again i'm not sure where im at on the aggro/control since I was aiming for it to be sort of...versatile I think is the word i'm looking for. My usual opening hand is an Elite Vanguard, 3 Plains, one of my 2 mana creatures, Divine Favor and one of my big hitters like Sun Titan. I  generally draw into a plain every third turn or every other turn. More often than not though, the big hitter is none other than Serra Angel
I am pretty new to this stuff myself, but here are my 2 cents...

I think that your deck is a little bit heavy. In the sence that it will take you two or three turns alone to get anything(?) onto the board.   Except for the Elite Vanguard and Pride Guardian, you'll have nothing but Elixir of Immortality to boost yourself during the first turn.

Imo, You should(...) during your first turn be able to field both a mana-card and a creature, or something that mess with your opponents hand. If going by the creature, preferably a creature with an extra trait... ...of something. 

With your deck as it is here, your opponent will propably have fielded two mana-card and eat half of your elixir up by turnover.   Leaving you to field another mana, but still not have anything to resist the opponents' next step.

Be weary of adding mana-costly creatures. A lot of players are good at removing your precious mana, which will make you sitting there like a duck in the water. -Easy pickings.

There will at least be some resistance if you get cheap creatures that can block whatever the opponent throws at you in the beginning. Do not underestimate the power of 1/1-creatures.

Ex: If you have 'only' five 1/1-soldiers, you can still fight off (block) a 10/10 creature for a while.    
I am pretty new to this stuff myself, but here are my 2 cents...

I think that your deck is a little bit heavy. In the sence that it will take you two or three turns alone to get anything(?) onto the board.   Except for the Elite Vanguard and Pride Guardian, you'll have nothing but Elixir of Immortality to boost yourself during the first turn.

Imo, You should(...) during your first turn be able to field both a mana-card and a creature, or something that mess with your opponents hand. If going by the creature, preferably a creature with an extra trait... ...of something. 

With your deck as it is here, your opponent will propably have fielded two mana-card and eat half of your elixir up by turnover.   Leaving you to field another mana, but still not have anything to resist the opponents' next step.

Be weary of adding mana-costly creatures. A lot of players are good at removing your precious mana, which will make you sitting there like a duck in the water. -Easy pickings.

There will at least be some resistance if you get cheap creatures that can block whatever the opponent throws at you in the beginning. Do not underestimate the power of 1/1-creatures.

Ex: If you have 'only' five 1/1-soldiers, you can still fight off (block) a 10/10 creature for a while.    

I've taken most of that into consideration. This deck always, and I mean always drops a creature by turn 2. If not 2 creatures even. As for the Elixir of Immortality it's not for life so much as recycling enchantments/creatures back into my deck. One adjustment I know already im making as soon as I can get my hands on it, is i'm going to replace Greatsword with one of the "Swords" like Sword of Body and Mind or Sword of War and Peace if its still in print and legal for Standard format i'd love to drop in a Sword of Feast and Famine
Having looked at it a bit i'd guess it is a more aggro deck (lots of small fast creatures). I'd therefore lose the elixir of immortality, accorder shield, kiln walker, pride gaurdian and demystify. and a land or 2. This will make room for the x4's. I'd also look for a better equipment than the sword and use it to replace the greatsword and divine favor.

Cool.

I am/was/were in a similar peculiar situation with my black deck.

I just couldn't seem to get the right amount of mana. The mana-pedicament has improved, but my rats and bats aren't really up a challenge. I am trying to keep my deck to the amount of 60 cards, and it is indeed a challenge to not only balance the weak creatures versus the tough creatures, but to give any of them greater abilities through artifacts and sorcery.

It is getting there though. can win(lose) a solitary game by the fourth turn now, but I still feel that I am a little bit weak when it comes to fending of fancy magic and weird illusionary stuff.
The black decks are quite good at attacking , but there is almost no such thing as a proper defence.

With a black deck one must accept the death of the creatures, and make sure that one can revive them, to the opponents nuisance

The white deck, afaik, they are pretty rocksteady defencive-wise, but can become weak if their first line of defence, aka. Elite vanguards and alike, breaks. It is not easy for a white deck to regenerate health. Your 20 points are dearly to you. Make sure your deck builds up a defencive wall, so you can get the expencive(r) tough and cool angels up and flying.
Cool.

I just couldn't seem to get the right amount of mana. The mana-pedicament has improved, but my rats and bats aren't really up a challenge. I am trying to keep my deck to the amount of 60 cards, and it is indeed a challenge to not only balance the weak creatures versus the tough creatures, but to give any of them greater abilities through artifacts and sorcery.

It is getting there though. can win(lose) a solitary game by the fourth turn now, but I still feel that I am a little bit weak when it comes to fending of fancy magic and weird illusionary stuff.
The black decks are quite good at attacking , but there is almost no such thing as a proper defence.

With a black deck one must accept the death of the creatures, and make sure that one can revive them, to the opponents nuisance

The white deck, afaik, they are pretty rocksteady defencive-wise, but can become weak if their first line of defence, aka. Elite vanguards and alike, breaks. It is not easy for a white deck to regenerate health. Your 20 points are dearly to you. Make sure your deck builds up a defencive wall, so you can get the expencive(r) tough and cool angels up and flying.

Care to play a round or two?  
Cool.

I'll play. I won't be available for play until after 18.30 CET+1 (-Sitting at work atm    ) 

Just add Ulvetann to your buddylist, so you can see when i am online.

Cheers

Cool.

I'll play. I won't be available for play until after 18.30 CET+1 (-Sitting at work atm    ) 

Just add Ulvetann to your buddylist, so you can see when i am online.

Cheers

Added
Having looked at it a bit i'd guess it is a more aggro deck (lots of small fast creatures). I'd therefore lose the elixir of immortality, accorder shield, kiln walker, pride gaurdian and demystify. and a land or 2. This will make room for the x4's. I'd also look for a better equipment than the sword and use it to replace the greatsword and divine favor.

I've swapped out my Greatsword for a Sword of Body and Mind. I cant exactly drop the Pride Guardian though, well not outright drop him. He's basically there so i can quickly use a flyer to equip my Sword of Body and Mind to to swing for extra damage and then swap back to Pride Guardian the keep the opponent from trying to attack with something less than 2 toughness. I'd probably be great to replace Accorder's Shield with a second copy of Sword of Body and Mind and do the same with one or both Divine Favor. If i'm thinking right that would put Sword of Body and Mind at 4 in my deck. As for Demystify I added that to deal with mainly blue decks with their Mind Control and Corrupted Conscience. That said, I don't face blue every single match and more often than not I don't even see blue. I think that Sword of Body and Mind should help a ton with blue though since it gives protection from blue. 
For demystify effects revoke existence should be your go-to card as it deals with artifacts as well. As for leaving the guardian back for defence, creatures with vigilance are better as they can attack and block, you also don't have to move equipment around which leaves more mana open for spells. And as an aggro deck you should be attacking with everything every turn. If your opponent is leaving things back because they can't get past your creatures then they also have things there to block your creatures.
Honor of the pure is also probably the best pump spell for the deck.

Updated Deck. 
I call it Amethysts' First Deck.

This is a Human/Angel Aggro deck. Mono White.

Lands:
Plains x 25

Artifacts:
Accorder's Shield x 1
Cobbled Wings x 1
Silver-Inlaid Dagger x 2
Sword of Body and Mind x 1

Sorceries:
Revoke Existence x 1

Enchantments:
Bonds of Faith x 4
Oblivion Ring x 4

Creatures:
Accorder Paladin x 2
Aegis Angel x 2
Armored Warhorse x 1
Auramancer x 1
Cloistered Youth x 1
Elder Cathar x 4
Elite Inquisitor x 1
Elite Vanguard x 3
Kemba's Skyguard x 1
Leonin Skyhunter x 1
Pride Guardian x 1
Serra Angel x 1
Sunblast Angel x 2

This looks decent, manna-wise.

I noticed you have (accidently?) added Cobbled Wings under creatures, as well as Artifacts.
That is prolly an error, which means you can remove the Cobbled Wings from underneath creatures, and add something else there. I'd vote for removing an Aegis or Sunblast Angel, and instead of those two add something that can help you create some more manna. -Either just add two more manna to the deck, or preferrably a Pearl Medallion, and/or Marble Diamond, or two of either.

If you add one or two of these cards, trying playing around a little, you might find that you can actually remove 1, 2 or 3 mana-cards, (balance-wise) and/or add some more frontline-soldiers/brute force to your deck.

Sorry that I weren't online very much yesterday, I had some other pedicaments to solve. -cooking and cleaning. What is your online nick? -So I can add you?
Actually, I would advise against adding any more lands.  You could even subtract one.  This deck tops out at 6 mana, and that's only, like, 3 cards.  You could even cut a plains, 24 lands is likely more than enough.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
Actually, I would advise against adding any more lands.  You could even subtract one.  This deck tops out at 6 mana, and that's only, like, 3 cards.  You could even cut a plains, 24 lands is likely more than enough.

Heh trust me...I never even thought about adding more lands. It's been at 25 since I made it.
I see you put your faith (no pun intended.. ...or is it. hmm...) in the Elite Vanguard or a Pride Guardian during first turn. You'll might be able to field the Accorder's Shield, but take note, taht even if it costs nothing to field, it costs 3 to equip. -There will be no boost to either the Elite Vnaguard nor the Pride Guardian for a long time.

Turn two:

You'll have either a EV or PG on the table, and an Accorder's Shield on standby.
You'll now have two mana...
There are more options for you now;
Forget the cobbled Wings. They cost two mana to field, but you need to wait another turn to attach it to a creature. if you now have an option to field either Leonin Skyhunter, Elite Inquisitor, Cloistered Youth, Armored Warhorse, or Accorder Paladin, the question will of course be resolved according to what the opponent got. Cloistered Youth is indeed a tempting solution, but it got the weakness of being 1/1, and not being able to change to 3/3, until third turn. Leonin skyhunter got the flying ability, but that is all.
There are no boosters for him yet (nor the others) 

Turn three:

I would probably have started nibbling on you with my rats by now. if your soldier(!) was indeed fielded, he would not be able to attack me withouth being bitten by a rat with deathtouch. fair enough the rat would end up in the graveyard, opening me up for an attack.... ...Hm, You should have something more here to push forward. You took out my rat, but no life, nor have you anything left for defence.

In turn three, I can see from your cards, that you will only have three mana.
You might have lost one low manacost-soldier, and perhaps have untapped a second one from turn two. (playing low cost manasoldiers could at this time leave you with two/three on the table).
Either way, your artifacts still seem distant in their use.

I do believe you need some sort of mana-generator.

The white decks are powerful, but only with a lot of 1/1 soldiers. The 1/1-soldiers must stand fast long enough for your mana to build up. Once your mana is up, you'll be able to add wonderful artifacts and enchantments.

comparing to the deck I am building, i believe I would be able to nibble a hole in your defence, and quite quickly overwhelm you with only a few, and small, but very poisonous creatures.

If you're able to build a wall of blockers, you'll atleast withstand any deck that focus on infect. if you build a wall of blockers that also have tools against flying creatures, then you'll soon be powerful and can retaliate. With white deck I believe one of the difficult things are to stay cool long enough, and not getting oneself fooled into attacking to early.

Ok, that was my wall of text, 2-cent ranting and philosophical theorizing. -I hope it is to some help.