1st edition AD&D Help

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I started playing 1st Edition AD&D. I like it a lot but I'm a noob and I don't know what to do. My party is nooby too, with only 1 semi-good player. I always find that we are struggling with what to do. We don't know how to start up the game or where to go, what to do. Can someone give me some basic things I should be doing for most adventures? Thanks :D
I started playing 1st Edition AD&D. I like it a lot but I'm a noob and I don't know what to do. My party is nooby too, with only 1 semi-good player. I always find that we are struggling with what to do. We don't know how to start up the game or where to go, what to do. Can someone give me some basic things I should be doing for most adventures? Thanks :D

What should you do? You should play the game.

I mean, without a more specific question, I can't give you any more specific of a response. 

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

Sorry Cohen   Frown   I guess I'm wondering if you could give me a tip on how to start an adventure. I always struggle with the NPCs. What's a good rule of thumb?
Are you playing or DMing? If you're DMing, you may want to seek advice on that board.

In either case, what is it about NPCs you always struggle with? Ask a specific question and you will get a specific answer.

Do you struggle coming up with NPCs? I'd say preparation.

Do you struggle playing NPCs? Flesh them out more, give them backstories and personalities when you build them for the adventure, and it will help you play them better.

I can run through a list, but it'd be much, much easier if you'd just explain your problem more specifically. 

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

I'm a player. I think i'll just have to learn through experience. Maybe I'm trying to say I struggle with roleplaying
I'm a player. I think i'll just have to learn through experience. Maybe I'm trying to say I struggle with roleplaying

Play a character with low charisma, so you can have an "in-character" rational for either A) not being very talky with NPCs or B) being bad at it.

And practice, practice, practice. Consult your DM and fellow players, they will have more specific advice, based on what they've actually seen when you play. 

Dilige, et quod vis fac

Ya you are in that awkward phase that takes a long while for most people to get out of. Basically I'd pick a movie character out and make him your "WWJD".

Using Aragorn you would just ask yourself "What would Aragorn do?" Then say and act what you think he would do - and use dice to decide the outcome if necessary. 
Yes, I do regret my Forum Name...Tech N9ne is clearly the best rapper of all time. I am currently looking to get in on a Real Adventures PbP game. PM me if you are looking for another PC.
Sorry Cohen   Frown   I guess I'm wondering if you could give me a tip on how to start an adventure. I always struggle with the NPCs. What's a good rule of thumb?

1E eh?
Well, thats pretty easy.

Just listen to the pretty barmaid, nod a few times, be sure to check your coinpurse every few seconds, watch the door for the inevitible guards looking for you/torch-bearing monsters/flabbergasted mayor/half-dead messenger that will be the jumping off point to your adventure.  Deal with that. Agree to head off to whatever ruined keep/dark forest/secret hideout/nasty sewer system or caves of chaos that the BBEG lives in for >insert substantial reward (ie 500G! woot!)< Deal with THAT.  Or Die trying.  Since it's 1E you'll probably end up doing a lot more of the "Die Trying" part. 
Rinse.
Repeat.

Oh, and be sure to watch out for Lightning item saves, that pesky Type E poison and remember that the lower your AC is, the better. 

Good luck and Happy adventuring.