Robe of Useful Items: A little broken or very broken?

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, something I just noticed. The Robe of Useful Items' power replenishes whenever the item disappears. The Artificer's Arcane Rejuvenation kicks in whenever you use a daily item power. Am I missing something, or is this an eternal fountain of THP at the cost of a minor action? There's no reason not to carry a Robe of Useful Items around for pre-combat buffing, and Avengers and Monks have very good reasons to just use the robe all day period. Has any errata been issued to nerf this combo? Has anybody else noticed it?
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
The item needs to disappear, which happens after it lasts an hour. It is also armor, so it isn't exactly the easiest thing to take on and off right before combat.
Cloth Armor IS easy to take on and off though. You can fluff it as a boxer robe even (boxer pants are your armor).

And what I was thinking of is, nothing says you can't take out an item that will self terminate. Say, a burning scrap of paper. Sure, the DM can **** you over, but we're assuming RAW here since no sane DM will allow this exploit.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Cloth Armor IS easy to take on and off though. You can fluff it as a boxer robe even (boxer pants are your armor).

You can't have two of the same item slot function at the same time. That's going to get legitimately tricky for anyone who wants to wear non-cloth armor or for that matter wants cloth armor that has some additional purpose.

And what I was thinking of is, nothing says you can't take out an item that will self terminate. Say, a burning scrap of paper. Sure, the DM can **** you over, but we're assuming RAW here since no sane DM will allow this exploit.

Even if that piece of paper is burned to a crisp, there's still a crisp which hasn't disappeared...

You can't have two of the same item slot function at the same time. That's going to get legitimately tricky for anyone who wants to wear non-cloth armor or for that matter wants cloth armor that has some additional purpose.

Even if that piece of paper is burned to a crisp, there's still a crisp which hasn't disappeared...

Right, you can't. One of them overrides the other. Which is the Robe, ideally.
RAW it takes 5 minutes to change any item slot other than weapon/implement.

Also RAW the object you get from the robe lasts 1 hour.

So no, sorry, this doesn't work.  Cool idea though.
RAW it takes 5 minutes to change any item slot other than weapon/implement.

Also RAW the object you get from the robe lasts 1 hour.

So no, sorry, this doesn't work.  Cool idea though.

Source on that first quote? Because if that's the case, that's the most hilariously fail rule in the whole edition. It literally takes you five minutes to put a jacket on, no matter what.
Source on that first quote? Because if that's the case, that's the most hilariously fail rule in the whole edition. It literally takes you five minutes to put a jacket on, no matter what.

PHB1, pg212.

"Putting on a suit of armor always takes at least 5 minutes, which means that it’s an activity you can undertake only outside combat (likely while you’re taking a short rest)."

It's not as silly as it sounds, though:

1) They assume you're not going to go into battle starkers.
2) "A jacket" doesn't really work as cloth "armor" flavorwise, since it doesn't give you full torso coverage, nor arm, leg, or head coverage as most Cloth "armor" would.
3) A lot of Cloth armors would probably involve buckles, belts, pockets, pieces of clothing, etc.  It's not "put on a jacket and you're done lol", you're basically dressing up for a formal (sans haircare and other weird unnecessities) whenever you're getting ready for battle.

PHB1, pg212.

"Putting on a suit of armor always takes at least 5 minutes, which means that it’s an activity you can undertake only outside combat (likely while you’re taking a short rest)."

Doesn't that refer to...well, armor? Otherwise you get the Slo-Mo Jacket Montage, which is just nonsensical.

PHB1, pg212.

Doesn't that refer to...well, armor? Otherwise you get the Slo-Mo Jacket Montage, which is just nonsensical.

It's called Cloth Armor, ain't it?
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

PHB1, pg212.

It's called Cloth Armor, ain't it?

Yeah, but while my memory could be faulty, I recall that bit of the...think it was Equipment or Adventuring chapter, to be referring to the bigger armors (heavies specifically). Otherwise people somehow go into frame-by-frames of getting dressed. Which hey, it can be a fun thing to poke at, but it doesn't make the rule less wonky.
Survey Says: You're being a Munchkin
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Yeah, but while my memory could be faulty, I recall that bit of the...think it was Equipment or Adventuring chapter, to be referring to the bigger armors (heavies specifically). Otherwise people somehow go into frame-by-frames of getting dressed. Which hey, it can be a fun thing to poke at, but it doesn't make the rule less wonky.

You're just hitting one of the limits of refluffing - just because you can refluff armor into being a jacket, doesn't mean it suddenly gets to ignore the limitations of being armor. Unless you're doing something mechanical like this, it ought to never be a problem.

You're just hitting one of the limits of refluffing - just because you can refluff armor into being a jacket, doesn't mean it suddenly gets to ignore the limitations of being armor. Unless you're doing something mechanical like this, it ought to never be a problem.

It's not refluffing. Think about it, Cloth Armor provides no bonus without an enchantment. Its description pretty much is that it's clothing. So it really does take people five minutes to put any sort of clothes on, be it jackets, robes, or frilly boxers with pink hearts a la Ghouls and Ghosts. It's about as silly as the Rejuvenating trick would be if it worked, which is why I'm pointing that out. I don't have an issue with it per se because I understand the reasons for it, but I do find it odd that a rule has this very 3.5esque edge case.
RAW it doesn't work. We deal with RAW here, and you know that. 
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
RAW it doesn't work. We deal with RAW here, and you know that. 

This kind of got cleared up like ten posts ago. Conversation's moved to a different place, specifically poking fun at how everybody in D&D does frame by frame dressing up.
When I get up in the morning I put on boxers, pants, a belt, and a shirt, and then I put socks and shoes on and lace up my shoes and then maybe put on a jacket. My regular, unenchanted suit of Cloth Armor takes me about five minutes to put on. The crazy thing here is not slow-mo dressing, it's firing my bow twice, running forty feet, and then pulling a coil of rope out of my backpack all in six seconds that's crazy.
Screw that, if I can't Magical Girl Transform, or Ultimate Form some new armor every time I Second Wind/Action Point/Use a Daily then I don't know why I'm even playing this game!
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
When I get up in the morning I put on boxers, pants, a belt, and a shirt, and then I put socks and shoes on and lace up my shoes and then maybe put on a jacket. My regular, unenchanted suit of Cloth Armor takes me about five minutes to put on. The crazy thing here is not slow-mo dressing, it's firing my bow twice, running forty feet, and then pulling a coil of rope out of my backpack all in six seconds that's crazy.

Didn't English Yeomen shoot like several arrows in the space of ten seconds? Rope aside, I'm positive this isn't actually unrealistic, funnily enough.

Screw that, if I can't Magical Girl Transform, or Ultimate Form some new armor every time I Second Wind/Action Point/Use a Daily then I don't know why I'm even playing this game!

Zathris gets it. A game with no cool duds is not a game worth having!
Didn't English Yeomen shoot like several arrows in the space of ten seconds? Rope aside, I'm positive this isn't actually unrealistic, funnily enough.

A good rate of fire was around 1 every 6 seconds IIRC, or around 10 arrows/minute.  And that was in a pitched battle situation where you didn't really have to aim much, just loose and you'd probably hit something.

The most comical 'do it in 6 seconds' thing is crossbow twin strike.  The fact that a ranger can potentially make 6 to 8 attacks with his crossbow in 6 seconds is just hilarious if you consider that it takes ~30 seconds to reload even the best crossbows, once.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Summoned ArmorLevel 6+ Uncommon

One need never worry about being caught unarmored while possessing this extraordinary armor.

Lvl 6+21,800 gpLvl 21+5225,000 gp
Lvl 11+39,000 gpLvl 26+61,125,000 gp
Lvl 16+445,000 gp

Armor: Any

Enhancement Bonus: AC

Power (Minor Action)

You banish this armor to a secure extradimensional location. At any point in the future, unless you are wearing armor, you can use another minor action to recall the armor. The armor appears on you as though you had donned it normally.

I have never found a D&D comic more appropriate to a thread before.

On the CO IRC, generally as TorpedoFish.
Vain? Me? NEVER.
57223408 wrote:
You're the straightest shooter I know on these boards. You don't mince words about your opinions, and I respect that about you. The whole fiasco you described in the last State of the CO Forum was particularly enlightening (and kind of disappointing with regards to how they see us).
56868168 wrote:
Ah, Tsuyo. When your post isn't one sentence long full of asterisks, you have much wisdom to share with us .
From the IRC:
(19:52) RuinsFate: You know, I was gonna agree with something PalOn said... but I think I'm just gonna through my lot in with tsuyo's sudden train-wreck grade interjection. (01:45) Nausicaa: yes your rage is a righteous rage :D (01:45) Nausicaa: righteous rage of torpedo
My sci-fi writing.
I have never found a D&D comic more appropriate to a thread before.

Sometimes, there's only one thing left to say. And sometimes, that thing is
Oh Goblins always good for a laugh.

Y'know , you could use the Minor Action every 6 seconds or so, for ... something ... Wink

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.

So, something I just noticed. The Robe of Useful Items' power replenishes whenever the item disappears. The Artificer's Arcane Rejuvenation kicks in whenever you use a daily item power. Am I missing something, or is this an eternal fountain of THP at the cost of a minor action? There's no reason not to carry a Robe of Useful Items around for pre-combat buffing, and Avengers and Monks have very good reasons to just use the robe all day period. Has any errata been issued to nerf this combo? Has anybody else noticed it?

You could possibly use the Genasi Voidsoul racial power to cause the item to vanish. ;)
This thread went from interesting to awesome. :D

You could possibly use the Genasi Voidsoul racial power to cause the item to vanish. ;)

This...probably totally works. Any reasons why it wouldn't, gentlemen?

This...probably totally works. Any reasons why it wouldn't, gentlemen?

Except that the robe also disappears. Unless you also take that off, and that's one way to get 6 torches. Undecided
If you only need the item to "disapear"....  presidigitation can turn it invisible for a few seconds...  

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Actually, I suggest you time yourself getting dressed some day.  Don't be all in a rush, just get dressed like normal.

I bet you it will take 2-3 minutes, counting shoes, pants, shirt, undergarments, socks, etc.

Now imagine doing that without zippers or velcro.

5 minutes to remove cloth armor doesn't sound like a huge stretch to me.  Sure, it can be done faster, but 5 min is a fairly good benchmark.  Of course, 5 minutes for heavy armor is rather silly in the opposite direction, but you can't win them all.  ;)

Casual Magic player since 2003 (Onslaught Block). 60% Johnny, 40% Timmy. Want a free, graphics-based, collection database to inventory your cards? I made one! Feedback welcome. Program runs offline, includes powerful search options, art, Oracle text, data import/export, and a rigorously updated list of every card ever printed. Version 5.13 (Theros) now available!

So. Green needs an iconic creature type, eh? How about wurms!

One Billion Words - 1001 Fantasy Landscapes: Share DnD-ish landscapes for use in homebrew campaigns!

Actually, I suggest you time yourself getting dressed some day.  Don't be all in a rush, just get dressed like normal.

I bet you it will take 2-3 minutes, counting shoes, pants, shirt, undergarments, socks, etc.

5 minutes to remove cloth armor doesn't sound like a huge stretch to me.  Sure, it can be done faster, but 5 min is a fairly good benchmark.  Of course, 5 minutes for heavy armor is rather silly in the opposite direction, but you can't win them all.  ;)

The problem is that this kinda falls down when you realize shoes and co. are actually item slots. This is why it looked so absurd to me. If you assume Cloth Armor includes everything you wear except specific items that changes, of course.

Of course, this results in the absurdity of putting on Chain in 5 minutes, or Scale and Plate in anything under 15 minutes.

FWIW, I can go from my skivvies to full BDUs in 3 minutes, add a Flak Jacket and my gear and you get the full 5 (A Wizard would still have an Adventurer's Kit, and you can't just drop those Glass Orbs). A Flight Suit or Riot gear (or Cold Weather gear, for that matter) is going take longer, and not just because of everything not being in the same place, probably comparable to Hide and Chain. I haven't had the pleasure of trying on a space suit, but google reveals 15 minutes to put it on (yahoo answers says 2 hours, but that's absurd, maybe 2 hours to do the paperwork so you can put it on)

Of course, this results in the absurdity of putting on Chain in 5 minutes, or Scale and Plate in anything under 15 minutes.

FWIW, I can go from my skivvies to full BDUs in 3 minutes, add a Flak Jacket and my gear and you get the full 5 (A Wizard would still have an Adventurer's Kit, and you can't just drop those Glass Orbs). A Flight Suit or Riot gear (or Cold Weather gear, for that matter) is going take longer, and not just because of everything not being in the same place, probably comparable to Hide and Chain. I haven't had the pleasure of trying on a space suit, but google reveals 15 minutes to put it on (yahoo answers says 2 hours, but that's absurd, maybe 2 hours to do the paperwork so you can put it on)

Depends what kind of space suit you're talking about - there are several.  If you mean the actual 'float around in the vacuum of space' sort of suit it is a few hours, and you require assistance to do it.  If its the thing they wear floating around in the shuttle yeah, thats pretty quick, 15 min or so.
One thing that needs to be said here: the Artificer was written before Essentials, when item daily powers were limited to 1/2/3 per day +1 per milestone.  Arcane Empowerment and Arcane Rejuvenation aren't meant to operate in a system were item daily powers aren't limited in this way.  This is less an issue of Robe of Useful Items being imbalanced as it is an issue of an O4e class that hasn't been updated to 4eE.

Depends what kind of space suit you're talking about - there are several.  If you mean the actual 'float around in the vacuum of space' sort of suit it is a few hours, and you require assistance to do it.  If its the thing they wear floating around in the shuttle yeah, thats pretty quick, 15 min or so.

... and spending all those Minor Actions on "something".

I just question whether you'd have an Encounter like this, last the whole 5 minutes.
It's not like you are Alpha Striking yourself, but I mean come on ...

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.

Sign In to post comments