[Weekend Game] Build Around This! #3 -- Round 1/10

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Build Around This! #3

Round #1 of 10 - Land Ho!

Welcome to Build Around This! #3.  This is the first port of "BAT!" to the YMTC forum from the Cards and Combo forum, in the hope that we will see more activity ;)

This is a deckbuilding contest, where you don't just make the deck, but the cards in it as well!  Over the course of 10 rounds (1 per weekend), you will construct your deck.  Sound simple?  Just wait, because there is, because of course there is, a catch...

Rules

At random, I have chosen a format from which to draw your starting pool of cards.  I have, in a psuedo-random fashion, pre-selected 3 cards which you already have in your deck, 4 copies of each.  Over the course of the contest, you will build the rest of the cards that will go into your version of this deck.  Once a particular round is over, the cards you have built are frozen in place and cannot be changed.

Each round begins at some point while Friday still exists somewhere in the world and ends after Sunday is over in every timezone on earth (or, UTC Noon on Monday, 0400 in the morning on Monday forum time).  That means the round ends even if I don't post saying so at that time (which I won't more often than not).

What if I Miss a Round or Start Late or Submit Late
DON'T WORRY!!

If you missed a round, decided to start late, or just were too late and passed the cutoff time, you can still participate!!  Each round, except for the final round, is worth 10 points.  The final round is worth a whopping 100!

You will still need to make up your missed work.  Sadly, it won't receive a grade but, I absolutely must have a submission from you for every prior round in order to advance to the last one!  But that means even if you participate in zero rounds except the last, you still have a shot at VICTORY!

Build Around This #3 -- The Cards

The format for Build Around This! #3 is................Onslaught Standard

Onslaught Standard, or Type 2 as it was called then, includes cards from Seventh Edition, Odyssey Block (Odyssey, Torment, Judgment), and Onslaught Block (Onslaught, Legions, Scourge).  Here is a link to those cards.  The sets within Onslaught Standard took place flavorfully on the continent of Otaria, on the Plane of Dominaria.

But now for the real fun, which cards will you start with?!  *The lottery machine tumbles, and....*

299! 4x Mossfire Valley
187! 4x Crashing Centaur
458! 4x Primal Boost

Each player begins with 4 of these 3 cards in their deck and they cannot be removed.

Grades

I will grade each entry based on the following criteria, explained in more details below: Creativity, Balance, Synergy, Flavor, Bonus.

Grading in Depth
Each criteria receives up to 2 points per round, and I reserve the right to grant fractions of a point.

• Creativity: Will I be inspired?  How unique, original, or otherwise game-changing is this card?  Perhaps it has a new mechanic, or a new take on an old one.  Or maybe, it's just imaginitive and cool 8)

• Balance: All cards, unless otherwise asked, are graded according to today's understanding of balance.  This means power level compared to its rarity AND whether it fits in the color pie.  Balance.  Do it.  Be it.  Zen.  Capice?

• Synergy: How well does your card work with the rest of your deck, and how well does your card work with the pre-selected cards?

• Flavor: Does your card have a cool name, awesome flavor-text, a Melvin-esque structure or a Vorthosian theme?  If so, points galore!

• Bonus: One point here will be based on whether your card could fit in the preselected format (i.e. creature types, mechanics, setting, etc).  The other point is at my complete and total discretion...and I am very whimsical.  You've been warned.

Rounds that have multiple submissions provide a final grade that is an average of all cards submitted, based on how many are included in the deck.

OK, all the formalities are out of the way.  Learn them, live them, lov....y'know, just understand them.

Round #1 of 10

Here are the specifics for your Round #1 of 10 entry.

Land Ho!

Build me yer land, me harteys!

What's the first thing to do when you build a deck?  That's right....Color!  (You did say "color," right?)  The best way to express that is of course via your primary mana sources, Lands.  And, my goodness, decks (typically) need an abundance of them.  And right now, I need 8 of them.

"8 submissions in Round 1?!" you ask, incredulous.  No, of course not, silly.  You need to fill 8 slots of the 48 remaining of the 60 cards in your deck.  You have two options for each of the 8 slots:

1. You can fill it with any basic land, or

2. You can fill it with a non-basic land (any rarity) of your own design.

You can use any of your own designs to fill up to 4 card slots (per design) and you must tell me how many copies of each of your designs you are including in your deck.  You MUST design at least 1 non-basic land card, even if you only use 1 copy in your deck, in order to receive a grade.  If you are daring, you can actually design 8 different non-basic lands, including 1 copy of each in these 8 slots.  I wouldn't recommend it, but maybe you'll surprise the hell out of me

Again, Round 1 closes at 4 AM forum time Monday.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM

2x Magnetic Forest
Land-Forest (U)
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
If ~ would be discarded, you may put it onto the battlefield tapped instead.

1x Outerspace Planet
Land (U)
: Add to your mana pool.
Cycling
Lands in your hand have cyling .

3x Fury Hilltop
Land (R)
, pay 1 life: Add to your mana pool. If a card you control have been discarded this turn, ~ deals 1 damage to target creature.

1x Magnetic Cliffside
Land-Mountain (U)

1x Uran, the Evergreen Cliff
Legendary Land (MR)
Threshold -- Lands you control are Forests and Mountains in addition to their other types.

~ You Take to the Sky ~

57325798 wrote:
STOP SOPA/PIPA. Okay, a little post about this in my sig which half of the people on here won't even see isn't likely to do a lot, but if you aren't aware of what's going on, educate yourself. And then join in the chorus of voices shouting at the U.S. Congress to stop these bills. Visit Wikipedia to learn more and to contact your Senators and Representatives. -- According to lawyers… (SOPA) doesn’t shut down your website and remove it from the Internet. It just makes it so that people cannot, in any way, access the website. So it’s sort of like coming up with a plan to prevent teen pregnancy that includes filling penises with cement. — Jon Stewart
2x
New Cemetery
Land
You may play ~ from your  graveyard.
Threshold — You can't play ~.

2x
Goblin Dumphole
Land - Mountain
(: Add :R: to your mana pool.)
As ~ enters the battlefield, you may reveal a Goblin card from your hand. If you don't, ~ enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add :B: or :G: to your mana pool. ~ deals 1 damage to you.

1x
Nurturing Crater
Land
As ~ enters the battlefield, choose a color for each creature you control.
: Add a mana of a chosen color to your mana pool.

I know spell shaper is from a different set but this helps threshold and are cool.

2x
Flourishing Bloom
Land
:G:, , Discard a card: ~ gains "Whenever ~ is tapped for mana, its controller adds one mana of any color to his or her mana pool (in addition to the mana the land produces)."

1x
Deathly Canyon
Land
:R:, , Discard a card: ~ gains ":Tap:: Target creature can't block this turn."

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Two cool submissions thus far, already.  I very much look forward to seeing how these decks evolve over time.  Consider this my Saturday bump for more, as I'll be off to D&D at some point.

I know spell shaper is from a different set but this helps threshold and are cool.

I want to make sure it's clear that deviating from format mechanics won't stop me from accepting a submission, nor will it preclude that submission from earning the Bonus point -- but that's not a guarantee it will ;)

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
This round ended earlier today -- thanks to both for the submissions   Next round will be posted on Friday -- any who missed this round can still join the next as described in the rules.

Grades for here will be posted tomorrow evening!

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
2x Excavation Zone
Land {U}
:T:: Add to your mana pool.
:T:: Add one mana of any color a land in your graveyard could produce to your mana pool.
"Long ago those island over there were mountain peaks, and before that? Well the answer lies beneath our feet." - Yalen, Otarian Archivist

2x Endless Depths
Land {U}
:T:: Add to your mana pool.
:T:, sacrifice a land: Add to your mana pool.
The void taketh and the void giveth in return

2x Forest

1x Swamp

1x Mountain

So tricolor threshold?
That was an archetype back in Onslaught, yes?
Apologies for the later than expected scores, but I wanted to ensure that I gave the best comments that I could for each card.

TPmanW, I'm sorry I can't give a grade for your submissions, since they showed up past the closing time for this round.  However, you're already a leg up for entering round two over other folks who join in late!!  I really wish I could, since you addressed the most egregious error in the other submissions, which was lack of flavor text.  For that, you get a Gold Star (which is still unfortunately worth 0 points).  Don't be discouraged, there's a lot of contest left, and the points garnered from this early round will soon yield to the complexities of later ones.  I hope to see you for Round Two, which will be posted Friday!

iqiq
Magnetic Forest/Cliffside:
Creativity: I think this is quite a neat effect; plus it's an easy instruction to follow, which is really good for Lands.  I also like that it's land-subtyped here.  Odyssey and Onslaught didn't have basic-land subtyped lands as that tech wasn't around quite yet.  However, given the very tribal themes of the two blocks, I think this fits well! 2/2
Balance: Madness is a touchy thing to deal with.  It's proven its worth time and again, as it's very effective at turning itself into pure card advantage.  I don't think it's something we're going to see around in much modern Magic, and especially not on land which are often used as throwaways to help reduce the impact of discard effects already. 1/2.
Synergy: Definitely synergizes well mechanically with the starting cards and the themes of the format overall.  2/2
Flavor: Conceptually, this evokes some cool imagery, and I could easily imagine the artwork for it.  Unfortunately, no flavor text, a recurring problem here. 1.5/2
Bonus: Does it fit in the format?  Yes!...mechanically.  However, I'm having difficulty picturing Magnetic landscape as fitting thematically on Otaria, rather than Mirrodin.  Also, the extra tapped in "on the battlefield tapped instead" is unnecessary.  1/2
Total: 7.5/10

Outerspace Planet
Creativity: A cycling Lord, but for lands!  I like the goal here very much.  2/2
Balance: I think this may be too much for Uncommon (change cycling to perhaps, or just get rid of its own cycling ability?).  Also, given its non-stacking ability, this wants to be placed in the rare slot of boosters.  But generally speaking, it's good! 1.5/2
Synergy: Turns every land into Onslaught's cycling cycle?!  Hooray! 2/2
Flavor: I don't get it Cool name, but I really don't see the internal consistency with its ability, especially lacking text to bring it together (since we don't have art). 0.5/2
Bonus: Does it fit in the format?  Yes, again absolutely from mechanics.  The flavor matches Mirrodin here again, but I'll give some credit that this could be foreshadowing.  Lastly, it should say "land cards in your hand."  1.25/2
Total: 7.25/2

Fury Hilltop
Creativity: Very Red, very neat, and very good at being better than the actual "Arena" land cycle that saw print. 2/2
Balance: Super well-balanced, and I think that's all I need to say.  2/2
Synergy: A great fit in the sets, and it will surely be an awesome addition to this deck! 2/2
Flavor: Very good!  I can easily picture the Planeswalker Duel of a game of Magic taking place right here on this hillside.  No flavor text 1.5/2
Bonus: Does it fit in the format?  Yes!  Mechanically as well as thematically evoking the arena-match grand storyline of these blocks.  This is my favorite of all your cards here.  2/2
Total: 9.5/10

Uran, the Evergreen Cliff
Creativity:  They don't do dual land granting powers very often, and it's certainly one area in which I would like to see them expand.  2/2
Balance: I think this is quite fine.  It's not OP, and does something very unique and interesting, which is a good place for a Mythic Rare.  2/2
Synergy:  You seem to be leaning towards the cycling theme, which makes me surprised that you've used the Threshold tech, versus the Riftstone Portal tech, which also appeared in this format.  It's even more surprising given Outerspace Planet's capability to easily get this into the grave without using a land drop.  Threshold is still fine, but I feel like something here could click better.  1/2
Flavor: It's given a proper name, as legendary lands should.  And one that sounds like it fits.  "Evergreen Cliff" is very reminiscent of Taiga1.5/2
Bonus:  Does it fit in the format?  Yes, 100%!  And I quite like it.  2/2
Total: 8.5/10

Overall Total = (7.5*3 + 7.25*1 + 9.5*3 + 8.5*1)/8 = 8.34/10

A very good start, even if some of the flavor was a bit detracting, I think you have a solid foundation to build on in future rounds!
2x Magnetic Forest
Land-Forest (U)

1x Outerspace Planet
Land (U)
Cycling
Lands in your hand have cyling .

3x Fury Hilltop
Land (R)
, pay 1 life: Add to your mana pool. If a card you control have been discarded this turn, ~ deals 1 damage to target creature.

1x Magnetic Cliffside
Land-Mountain (U)

1x Uran, the Evergreen Cliff
Legendary Land (MR)
Threshold -- Lands you control are Forests and Mountains in addition to their other types.

theatog
New Cemetery
Creativity: The interaction between playable early and unplayable later forces an early aggro deck to have reanimation/flashback answers to clear out the graveyard so this thing can stay in play.  I'm all for "meaningful choices" on cards, and this is a fine example of that.  2/2
Balance: You didn't declare target rarities for any of your cards, but otherwise I see no problems with this being printed somewhere.  1.75/2
Synergy: Usable as discard fodder for both the starting creature and a couple of your other designs and can still be a land drop.  2/2
Flavor: Having to dig up a new cemetery every day for the Cabal heirarchy?  What a demanding task, I can think of few that would be able to fill it.  Still saddened by the unfortunate departure of flavor text throughout the submissions   1.5/2
Bonus: Does it fit in the format? Definitely!  Again, I can't say enough about how much I like meaningful choice cards -- things that aren't pure upside.  2/2
Total: 9.25/10

Goblin Dumphole
Creativity: A bit interesting, a Mountain with a painland attached.  While I initially would have expected tribal, I'm actually glad you didn't go that direction, since it really has a way of bleeding the color pie and letting various colors tutor for things they normally couldn't.  Still, I'm not sure how exciting attaching the painland actually is, since they don't go over terribly well as cards.  1.5/2
Balance: It's hard to say whether this is strictly better or worse than the Alara tri-taplands.  Though I'm not sure if we'll ever see the painland tech again, that has nothing to do with power reasons.  I'm still not sure what rarity you were aiming for, but it's easily printable.  1.75/2
Synergy: You have a Centaur, and you're going Goblin here, which is an unusual choice in a tribal format.  You've also already shown a desire to add Black as a third color, and this card has both of those aspects.  I will very much like to see how the rest of your deck builds out to compensate for both early changes.  1/2
Flavor: I probably shouldn't be asking what it is that Goblins are actually discarding in this Dumphole of theirs 1.5/2
Bonus: Does it fit in the format?  Yes, I believe it does.  I like that you've pushed for a take on tri-lands, as well, which I think we need to see more of.  2/2
Total: 7.75/10

Nurturing Crater
Creativity: Original take on the rainbow land tech.  It has some memory issues though, especially if multiples are out on the field.  1.5/2
Balance: While this has the advantage of being a no-drawback multi-color land once on the field, it has the weakness of not being droppable in the early turns.  A bit of a mid-game mana fixer.  1.75/2
Synergy: With the push to bring in Goblins, and the Centaur start, I feel like you're going for a creature/aggro heavy build, and this fits right in.  2/2
Flavor: I like it...the ancient crater now lush with growth and a habitat of its own.  It has that "rainforest" feel, good for Otaria.  1.5/2
Bonus: Does it fit in the format?  I think with as creature heavy as this format got, especially considering Legions, this is a fine tech to integrate from a different era of the game.  Caring about creature colors wasn't exactly unheard of here.  2/2
Total: 8.75/10

Flourishing Bloom/Deathly Canyon
Creativity: Now this I really like.  And just let me say, a land that makes its own enchantments is awesome.  I could picture a really complete cycle of this for a great way of showing how each color interacts with, and benefits, its lands.  2/2
Balance: No issues here on power level, though I still need to know what rarity you're building for.  Also, a bit of an intra-cycle issue with the fact that a single Bloom can use its effect multiple times to stack on itself, while the Canyon cannot.  I don't think that's a major issue, given these particular abilities, but I am pointing it out.  1.75/2
Synergy: Good, very good with these.  2/2
Flavor: The lands feel like natural lands, which is again a great fit for Otaria.  Most importantly, the lands are clearly very internally consistent, with names that quite obviously match their effects.  1.5/2
Bonus: Does it fit in the format?  Yes, absolutely.  I must say, these are my favorite of your submissions to Round 1.  Nice work 2/2
Total: 9.25/10

Overall Total = (9.25*2 + 7.75*2 + 8.75*1 + 9.25*3)/8 = 8.81/10

An excellent base on which to build the rest of your deck.  You stretched yourself here, commiting already to aspects beyond the original set of cards.  I can't wait to see how you follow through!
2x
New Cemetery
Land
You may play ~ from your  graveyard.
Threshold — You can't play ~.

2x
Goblin Dumphole
Land - Mountain
(: Add :R: to your mana pool.)
As ~ enters the battlefield, you may reveal a Goblin card from your hand. If you don't, ~ enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add :B: or :G: to your mana pool. ~ deals 1 damage to you.

1x
Nurturing Crater
Land
As ~ enters the battlefield, choose a color for each creature you control.
: Add a mana of a chosen color to your mana pool.

2x
Flourishing Bloom
Land
:G:, , Discard a card: ~ gains "Whenever ~ is tapped for mana, its controller adds one mana of any color to his or her mana pool (in addition to the mana the land produces)."

1x
Deathly Canyon
Land
:R:, , Discard a card: ~ gains ":Tap:: Target creature can't block this turn."

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
2x
Pando, the Sleeping Giant

Legendary Land (M)
Pando, the Sleeping Giant enters the battlefield tapped.
Threshold - ,, Sacrifice Pando, the Sleeping Giant: Put a legendary 12/12 green Insect creature token with trample and hexproof named Pando the Destroyer onto the battlefield.

2x
Subterranean Lotus Plot
Land (R)
Subterranean Lotus Plot enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add or to your mana pool.
Threshold - : You may play land cards from your graveyard until end of turn.

2x
Birdwatcher's Cliffside Retreat
Land (R)
Birdwatcher's Cliffside Retreat enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add or to your mana pool.
Threshold - ,: Creatures you control have ": Add one mana of any color to your mana pool," until end of turn.

2x
Unknown Territories
Land (U)
Unknown Territories enters the battlefield tapped.
Whenever Unknown Territories enters the battlefield, put the top card of your library into your graveyard and repeat this until you put a land into your graveyard. You may have Unknown Territories become a copy of that land.

Sign In to post comments