Can no longer DL issues?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I recently returned to D&D from other games my group has been playing and as such signed back up to DDI. I figured I would imediately hop to the Dragon and Dungeon 'webzines' and DL some of the past issues that I missed. But it looks like I cant do that? I remember from about a year ago I could just hit a big yellow 'download' button once each month was complete. Do they not let us do that anymore? Is it perhaps that I cannot download a month if I'm not a DDI subscriber that month? If so, that's rather odd as I can still go back and read any particular writeup or adventure, etc for any issue whether I was subscribed then or not.

Perhaps there was just some change I missed. I'd really like to DL the Dungeon and Dragon issues I missed. :/
You can download the individual articles, but they no longer compile them.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Why does the price keep going up and the features keep going down? I mean how hard is it to compile all the articles into one PDF? It would take one person 5 minutes.
Trust me, I have never seen more heated debates on this forum than when people discussed this very topic. And yes, it has been discussed to death. Over and over and over. WotC does not care what you think, or what anybody thinks. This is a big middle finger to all of their customers. They said that they got rid of the compiled issues because they believed that people weren't using them. This has been disproven analytically countless times by people on this forum. People have begged, cried, and screamed hoping WotC will bring back the compiled issues. It's not happening.

The real reason that WotC got rid of the compiled issues is to combat piracy. It is far to easy for people to pirate full copies of the magazine when they are compiled into a single file. Sure splitting the issues up into 10 files is inconvenient to most of the customers, but because it's inconvenient to a few people who pirate, WotC is gung-ho about this method.

I'm personally done with anything WotC related. Most people I know have gone back to 3.5, or to pathfinder or to other RPGs. I have actually started DMing 2nd ed, and I love it. I don't want to play a boardgame version of WoW, and I can't support WotC after seeing how they treat their customers.

BTW, Pathfinder is really a great game. I wholeheartedly recommend supporting Paizo - who actually care about their customers - rather than WotC.
Trust me, I have never seen more heated debates on this forum than when people discussed this very topic. And yes, it has been discussed to death. Over and over and over. WotC does not care what you think, or what anybody thinks. This is a big middle finger to all of their customers. They said that they got rid of the compiled issues because they believed that people weren't using them. This has been disproven analytically countless times by people on this forum. People have begged, cried, and screamed hoping WotC will bring back the compiled issues. It's not happening.

The real reason that WotC got rid of the compiled issues is to combat piracy. It is far to easy for people to pirate full copies of the magazine when they are compiled into a single file. Sure splitting the issues up into 10 files is inconvenient to most of the customers, but because it's inconvenient to a few people who pirate, WotC is gung-ho about this method.

I'm personally done with anything WotC related. Most people I know have gone back to 3.5, or to pathfinder or to other RPGs. I have actually started DMing 2nd ed, and I love it. I don't want to play a boardgame version of WoW, and I can't support WotC after seeing how they treat their customers.

BTW, Pathfinder is really a great game. I wholeheartedly recommend supporting Paizo - who actually care about their customers - rather than WotC.

I agree with everything you said there, but I want to add to the point about the reason why they discontinued the compilations.  I had a really interesting conversation at the time this was announced with a couple posters who do related work , and the conclusion was reached that at least part of the problem was the way Wotc was doing the compilations.  Part of this was speculation, but it was based on an informed viewpoint - if I can find the thread I'll link it.  Basically though, we came to the assumption that Wotc was doing the digital equivalent of chopping down the tree and pulping it for paper to publish each issue as a whole.   IMO, if they had been willing to change processes and accept a margin of error that the untrained eye cannot discern then the cost to release compilations would have been reduced to an acceptable level and we might still be getting them.  I'm still extremely dissapointed that they never responded to my question about whether fan created compilations would be allowed.
It would suprise me if the piracy consideration wasn't a factor in the decision, but it's much harder to speculate on how that factor contributed, as opposed to cost effectiveness which was actually mentioned by Wotc at the time.

*edit*  I want to clarify that I personally am not "done" with everything Wotc related - I'm interested in what will come of 5e/Next - but after all the mishandling of DDI (especially Dungeon and Dragon) I'm reticent and unwilling to leap on the train for any of their products now.
"Man is made God's plaything, and that is the best part of him. Therefore every man and woman should live life accordingly, and play the noblest games... Life must be lived as play, playing certain games, making sacrifices, singing and dancing..." Plato, The Laws.
its hard to even call them mags anymore, i mean dungeon only has three articles this month
Why does the price keep going up and the features keep going down?

Because people keep handing them their money regardless.
With ePublishing so hot right now, I'd rather they put out a version for Nooks and Kindles (and related devices) than put it behind the DDI wall, but hey, never gonna happen. Still, it's so inconvenient to download and side-load these articles, and the reading-on-computer experience so poor, that I'm just not reading 'em much. I consider my DDI sub fee to be access to the Character Builder, and a bit of occasional rules lookup, the rest is pretty much of no value to me.
Interestingly, writing my previous post got me thinking about why I was paying for DDI...and I've now canceled my account (auto-renew set to off, expires in a week.) I'll re-up for a month at a time when I want to re-print out a new version of my character sheet (generally when I level up), but there just isn't enough ongoing value for me to keep it on auto-renew. If I was able to download the magazines in their entirety, without having to deal with the hassles of article-by-article downloading or reading, I'd keep my sub active. Just some feedback in case someone at Wizards is reading. Thanks otherwise for the excellent D&D products, I'm a fan for life!
Sign In to post comments