Q4 2011 Development Update?

76 posts / 0 new
Last post
What ever happened to the Q4 2011 Development Update? We haven't heard anything since Oct 4, 2011. Frown
So, Wizards has finally officially given up on communicating with us then? We're halfway Q1 and not a word about the Q4 update yet....
"Leagues are coming and soon."
    I've removed content from this thread because baiting/trolling is a violation of the Code of Conduct.  You can review the Code of Conduct here www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, respectful, and on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.
Gordon Culp was doing a fairly good job providing regularly quarterly updates on the development plan for Magic the Gathering Online.   I didn't always like what they said, but I did appreciate that there was both a development plan and they communicated expectations to their customers.  

Like others, I also noticed that there never was a Q4 update, so I tried using the send a note to the author on the Q3 update page.  Interestingly, I received an "author unknown" message. 

Did Mr. Culp leave the company?  Take on new responsibilities?   Or did someone decide that quarterly updates were either more frequent than the community desired or too much trouble?

I for one have given up on leagues ever returning, but I do check in periodically to see if WOTC just might prove me wrong.  

My theory is that it's a broader company policy: Less is more!

I bet there was some memo that read "Less waste is more margin! We need to make sure we do only the absolute bare minimum in order to keep our customers happy."

Would explain a lot of things, really, not just communication.
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
According to mr culps LinkedIn profile he got a promotion in August...
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
May I ask our VCL to inquire about the update? Or maybe one of the apperently many Wizards employees who "read every post on the forums" can descent from Mount Olympus and give an update?
The lack of news is emabarassing.... please Wizards say somenthing, anything!!!

Even a "we do not bother posting these since things are in development and we have secret plans to take over the world and we cannot let you know" would be enough! Laughing
Wotc_k actually responded to this issue a couple of weeks ago in another post which I have been unable to find. Basically he said that they are working on it already but dont expect it soon.
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
They probably want to say something great about the status of the beta client. Maybe there's some big beta changes they are about to release and want to wait for them to maximize the positiveness of the message. I'd guess this won't happen until after the current release events are over.

Or, maybe they are close to having figured out the plan for bringing Planeswalker Points online and need just a few more days before they can mention this in the report.

I hope I'm not being overly optimistic!
i gotta give it to them. they very well know how to communicate on irrelevant stuff via twitter
I have discussed the quarterly update with Gordon a couple times, but , unfortunatley, there have been other duties that have required his attention and they have delayed the final update several times. 

I will contact Gordon again to check on the status of an update, but at this point we may just combine it the the 2012 Q1 update.  

Sorry for the delay. 
Chris
Lol, it would take half an hour to write it.
of course it would take a half hour to write it but that's not how WoTC works. First, you have to plan to write it. This can take between 1 second and 18 months depending on a lot of factors which include whether venus is in retrograde to mars and also whether it's duck or wabbit season. After that, a commitee is convened to decide what, if anything, should be said about what, if anything is actually being done. This is a MUCH LONGER process. Again, factors that can make this run longer than expected range from blowing it off to play hero academy on this phones, to corperate deciding to launch another TCG that will make scarce resources even more scarce. Finally, you then give Gordon the green light and, well, he's just too busy to take those 30 minutes to write it, because, you know, that might make him just the least bit accountable. Then again, every single one of these "updates" have minimal accountability built into them.

Or, the whole thing could just be a sick game of theirs to see how far they can push the bar underground. I mean, the bar is already on the ground at this point right?  
Not sure why they would want to continue with these updates. They get tons of grief when they don't put one out and just as much when they do.
I have discussed the quarterly update with Gordon a couple times, but , unfortunately, there have been other duties that have required his attention and they have delayed the final update several times. 

I will contact Gordon again to check on the status of an update, but at this point we may just combine it the the 2012 Q1 update.  

Sorry for the delay. 
Chris

Thank you for responding and apologizing. I would understand combining the Q4 and Q1 at this point, but please make sure we get the Q1 in time then :-)
Not sure why they would want to continue with these updates. They get tons of grief when they don't put one out and just as much when they do.

To communicate with their customers? I hear a lot of companies do that.

To communicate with their customers? I hear a lot of companies do that.

From the feedback received I can imagine a scenario where what PCJR said comes to pass because they are fed up with the catch-22. Either they post a report and get blasted for it. Or they don't and well you get the idea.

Winter.Wolf

Communication is not a core competency of Hasbro, and has been lost by WotC.

Marketing is a core competency.

It's only when communication can be used as marketing, or prevents a liability, that we will see anything.

I'm not being snarky, or ranting, or whatever -- it's honestly just part of the Hasbro/WotC corporate culture.  I miss the days when the WotC folks could/would speak their minds on a subject, but now they can't.  Stuff like this has to be vetted, cleared and reviewed -- or else good people lose their jobs.

Don't be cranky at the people.  Be cranky at the process.

It is what it is.

Later,

Don 
A failure to plan, is a plan to fail.
Communication is not a core competency of Hasbro, and has been lost by WotC.

Marketing is a core competency.

It's only when communication can be used as marketing, or prevents a liability, that we will see anything.

I'm not being snarky, or ranting, or whatever -- it's honestly just part of the Hasbro/WotC corporate culture.  I miss the days when the WotC folks could/would speak their minds on a subject, but now they can't.  Stuff like this has to be vetted, cleared and reviewed -- or else good people lose their jobs.

Don't be cranky at the people.  Be cranky at the process.

It is what it is.

Later,

Don 

Actually, communications and customer relations is a core competency of Hasbro.  Look at their reviews on the BBB, then look at WOTC's...it simply appears lost on WOTC's leadership in the Greg Leeds era.  WOTC has told us many times that Hasbro is fairly hands off with them and I have no reason to doubt their word when it comes to this with respect to customer relations.  A lot of people like to blame Hasbro as the "man behind the curtain", but there is no good evidence that this is warranted.
If not communicating about all your future product plans in advance is bad communications and customer relations, then Wizard's is in the company of some of the largest corporations in the world. I think that people sometimes forget that Wizards does a lot more than just produce Magic Online.

Everyone is invited to check out features of the future client, which is just about the only interesting news ever contained in the quarterly development updates. Lack of quarterly updates just means those interested in having certain missing features have one less excuse for not playing or complaining.
I agree with pcjr.
Eventhough, I also agree that WOTC lack an interest in the community.

Any(!) company, big or small, should have some sort of visibility to the public.

They do not have the obligation to respond to critics, but they ought to have some sort of liaison regarding what is going on. -Anything is better than nothing. Even a loudmouth blaring off would at least create some activity.

The VERY LEAST a company that runs something like MTG/O since nineteennintyandearly should be proud enough to tell people something like; 'We are working on something, but is very hush-hush, and we had a nice beerfest last friday where the programmers made a mess, so we have a little set back, because all the beta tester reports were accidently deleted, sorry... ...but we love you!'

That would actually not be too bad. it would of course generate a lot of activity from the usual complainers, but mostly it would show the mature audience that the producers are still active.

If the company choose to outsource their public 'feelers' aka. public forums, they must not 'only' heavily moderate it, they should at least make sure it doesn't get over-moderated, as it seems like these fora has been over the last few years.

I am a newbie, I love this game. I'd love to see the forum reawakened. If not by posters, at least with some announcement from the people in charge of this product. I do question this; Have 'they' become so bloated that they only look at their paychecks, and ignore their customers and employees, just because they have a product that has matured 'enough' over time, to give a rats a** about it?

have them become like corrupt politicians that only look out for their pensions?
Even a loudmouth blaring off would at least create some activity.

You're new so you don't know, but we had that. It was a disaster. We lost many regulars.

Communication from WotC has always been... uneven. In some ways, they interact more with their customers than most companies. But their formal communication (especially for Magic Online in particular) is often sloppy and/or late, both of which are inexcusable at this stage of maturity.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Even a loudmouth blaring off would at least create some activity.

You're new so you don't know, but we had that. It was a disaster. We lost many regulars.

Communication from WotC has always been... uneven. In some ways, they interact more with their customers than most companies. But their formal communication (especially for Magic Online in particular) is often sloppy and/or late, both of which are inexcusable at this stage of maturity.

Ah. Ok. Thanks for clarifying that they have tried.

Then I understand why certain things has become as they have. It was at one point in time called damage control...
It is a sad catch 22. 

Then I understand why certain things has become as they have. It was at one point in time called damage control...
It is a sad catch 22. 

That's not to say he was the only attempt. His successor did a great job. She was then essentially promoted to a wider role, but eventually the position was eliminated for reasons that had nothing to do with her. Which has historically been the problem: there is no corporate commitment for community management. Periodically, when the forums get uppity or they realize how poor communication has become, someone will be hired or assigned to be more directly involved with the community. But then six months or so down the line, it will become less of a priority and the liaison will gradually accumulate more duties that take away from the semi-dedicated community role. By 18 months we're back where we started.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Mike was doing a  great job.  Is he still with the company?  Also, we need someone who knows Magic to take the role not some guy from D&D etc..
Mike was doing a  great job.  Is he still with the company?  Also, we need someone who knows Magic to take the role not some guy from D&D etc..

Yes, Mike Gills did a great job. Unfortunately, he never really returned from his stint on the paper side of things (temporary my a**). But he does still work at WotC.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
Worth and I still read the forums regularly and discuss a lot of what happens here internally.  Unfortunately, we just have not had the time lately to communicate as much as we would like.  I will see what we can do in the long term to improve communications, but I cannot make any promises in the short term.  

Chris   
Worth and I still read the forums regularly and discuss a lot of what happens here internally.  Unfortunately, we just have not had the time lately to communicate as much as we would like.  I will see what we can do in the long term to improve communications, but I cannot make any promises in the short term.  

Chris   

Unfortunately as long as you perceive "communication" as doing a favor to us, it means you do not get the message

Chris   

Thanks for your post Chris.  I agree with the others that it has been very lacking lately and hope that you all will put some effort into better communication.  I can say that it is at an all time low as far as I can remember.  I don't really care who's fault it is or what is the reason but the bottom line is something needs to change.

*  Something I wanted to add was I remember a time when the staff would come in here excited to tell us something new that was coming or something they had been working on.  You could tell that the staff member cared a lot about their work and it got us excited also.  I haven't seen something like that in a very long time. 
PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.

Chris   

Unfortunately as long as you perceive "communication" as doing a favor to us, it means you do not get the message

[Edited].

Wilmheath, i  am not really sure. I just dont understand it.  If you look K's mail (K is a great name by the way because this forum is right out of a Kafka book) he says he will try it but cant promise. It is like we are asking him to build a new platform. All we ask is more communication,more interaction. How many people are left in these forums?Cant you guys see they don't care and i am the one guilty because i am saying the truth? what do you think you will gain by agreeing everything they say, by not seeing all the mistakes and ignorances they do?

[Edited]
I gotta say that I have pretty much given up on the idea of getting meaningful feedback from Wotc on these boards.
I used to post tons of suggestions (the best one I had implemented was different colors of different draft queues) but now if I get a respnose at all there it is  a one liner and if I provide additional feedback to that one liner there is no futher follow up.

Wizards is doing a great job with Drafts and standard and the MOCS... But formats like Classic/Legacy/extended/100CS etc are all floundering or dead. I'm 99% sure the problem is the scheduling and nothing is being done to fix the scheduling. If classic and Legacy consistently fire 1 event per week that means that there are people who want to play... but that the times don't work for them.... but has the schedule been changed to try and find better times? nope.

64 man drafts are the most popular release events filling up days before.... do they schedule more? no. Do they add them to the regular rotation of events (with lower prizes of course)? no. Why not?

I've been brining these topics up for years with little to no feedback.

Even for other issues I have found that the preferred method of communication for Wotc is now Twitter (at least for Worth and Lee)
I read Chris's comment as a positive. He said that he and Worth not only read the forums regularly but also discuss the issues between them. That means two people who might have an impact on our future are interested in said future at least to some degree. I wouldn't be so quick to chase them off with "Get off my lawn!!" remarks.

Things can be better. Things can also be worse. Calavera's remarks really strike a chord of true frustration and he's not the only one voicing this opinion (and btw keep saying it because it should be said) but on the other hand there is reason to hope for positive changes. There may be reasons why the Staff aren't more involved that have nothing to do with the ideas we put forth. We don't know and that in itself is also frustrating.

But hang in there. As I read Chris's message there is stuff going on that we don't see and when that stuff is resolved things may become clearer. In the meantime keep plugging away at communicating on our end. Let them know what we (the community) need. Because without that it won't matter if they respond or not.

In my humble opinion, there is a huge difference between voicing a legitimate gripe and trolling for negative feedback. Anyone can lash out given a bad moment of frustration. (Myself definitely included) That does not make us better at communicating. I think where the moderation comes in is when we cross over. Let's keep our cool and see what comes. If worse comes to worst you can always just find something more fun to do.

One last thing. Vinegar makes a poor icing and if you serve me sour cake I will not be tempted to eat it.

Winter.Wolf

i just think you guys are naive. if this was the first time that happened, fine let's wait, let's hope but come on man, how many years for god's sake? how many times we heard from worth that he reads the posts? they forgot to write about the weekly update ! event scheduling is worse than ever (yesterday there was a PE modern and daily event modern at the same time)  ok  no more negatives, i am going back to silence, but you are not doing good by shutting up everyone who criticise. mark my words you have been down there before, you know that road and you know where exactly it goes.

Sometimes, it's all about the signal-to-noise ratio on the boards.

Which, by the way, are statistically dead for the purposes of meaningful communication with the MTGO community, simply because so few people who actually play the game are here.

(Note: I've been too busy with this, paper/pants, kind of thing lately ... so don't even try to trace my last login ... but I think I'm up to Level 35 now in PWP ...)

That's why I've really learned not to be actually mad, cranky or upset with anyone on either side of the issue.  People have really good reasons to be angry, mad, cranky and frustrated with WotC in regards to communication.  Worth, Chris, and all the rest have really good reasons to read a heck of a lot more than they post.

I've gotten to the point where I had to chomp down an antacid or two after reading the boards as a customer, and I'm sure some folks here feel the same.  For all we know, Worth may have to make a Maalox smoothie just to handle all the things he sees -- and would like to respond to ... but can't or doesn't for a myriad of reasons.

I will say this, be careful of what you wish for -- you just might get it.  I still shudder at the thought of another 'He who shall not be named' being sent here.  That failure alone, IMHO, set the MTGO community back a long, long way.

On a positive note, even as these boards are drying up in many regards, all the folks you ever want to talk to are usually on Twitter, and occasionally on other social media.  I'm not sure what the board's protocol is for posting such things, but if you want to search Twitter for some of the more influential MTGO and WotC folks, they aren't hard to find ... and they occasionally even respond.

Long term, I think we all have to get a handle on how we perceive communicating with each other -- both WotC and the MTGO community.  I think these boards have a place, and I really wish they took the time to use them more -- but I'd settle for any communication we can get from any venue we can get.

If I'm not mistaken, a long time ago, on a set of boards that are far, far away in server heaven, a Beeber used to have a thread where they collected the various posts and musings of the WotC MTGO folks and linked them in that thread.  That might be an idea worth (pun intended) revisiting, but it would take a fair bit of effort.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Later,

Don 

A failure to plan, is a plan to fail.
Any(!) company, big or small, should have some sort of visibility to the public.

Until recently, the Pro Tours were exactly this. Perhaps the Grand Prix's have now taken over this role (haven't been to one this year).

The Wizards people I talked to at 2011 Worlds were very communicative. It was awesome, but not unexpected. I've always found them to be very communicative in person. I suppose they have to be much more careful about what they put in writing in a public forum.

I suppose they have to be much more careful about what they put in writing in a public forum.

Essentially, yes, that's exactly the issue.

Guess what? Chicken butt.

This is from 4 weeks ago:

As for updates, we are still planning on posting a Q4 update, but I would expect that to be at least a week out.  

Thanks and have fun,
Chris

Disappointing... 
 I've removed content from this thread because Trolling, Baiting, and Harassment are violations of the Code of Conduct.  You can review the Code of Conduct here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, respectful, and on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.  
Howdy folks,

I've moved this thread over to the boards business forum as the main topic has become about communication with WotC.

I realize this is a pretty sensitive issue at the moment and I'm sorry this post doesn't have anything more to contribute on the topic at hand.

Just know that we are here and we are trying to do something about it.

All around helpful simian

Howdy folks,

I've moved this thread over to the boards business forum as the main topic has become about communication with WotC.

I realize this is a pretty sensitive issue at the moment and I'm sorry this post doesn't have anything more to contribute on the topic at hand.

Just know that we are here and we are trying to do something about it.

This was a very poor move.  Monkey, you do basically nothing for our forums, you should either stick with that or start doing useful things (I know there is nothing useful for you to do, though)....doing something like moving this thread is a bad move. 

We have a good VCL, he can handle things like this, so please, stay out of our business.

I find this quite amusing though:

It is a sad catch 22. 

That's not to say he was the only attempt. His successor did a great job. She was then essentially promoted to a wider role, but eventually the position was eliminated for reasons that had nothing to do with her. Which has historically been the problem: there is no corporate commitment for community management. Periodically, when the forums get uppity or they realize how poor communication has become, someone will be hired or assigned to be more directly involved with the community. But then six months or so down the line, it will become less of a priority and the liaison will gradually accumulate more duties that take away from the semi-dedicated community role. By 18 months we're back where we started.

Crazy monkey is our latest iteration of this cycle.  Even when he came in he had zero power to change things and pretty much no way to actually communicate our desires to WotC.  I'd call him a token community coordinator...but even that is giving too much credit for his position (with regards to the MTGO forums)

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...