Blackguard Frostcheese: Bastard Sword, Waraxe, or Khopesh?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys, kind of a weird question... stick with me.

My usual gaming group wants to try something a little different, so we're striking up an "Evil" Campaign. Immediately, I gravitated toward the Blackguard. Deciding to make him a disciple of the Raven Queen, I wanted to play up his winter-like heritage with some Frostcheese.

Here's my dilemma; in Dragon 386 there is a magic enchantment available called "Chill Wind Weapon", which is VASTLY superior to the standard Frost Enchantment from the PH1. I was originally setting out to use a Waraxe, because of the amazing feat support (Deadly Axe, Axe Expertise) and it's high initial damage whilst one-handed (using a Heavy Shield). However, the Chill Wind Weapon Enchantment is only available to the Heavy Blade Weapon Category... which made me drift toward the trust Bastard Sword, instead.

Then I did a little brainstorming; and call me crazy, but is the Khopesh a viable solution here? It counts as both a Heavy Blade and Axe, which opens me up to both the feat support I want and the superior Enchantment, it already has Brutal 1 (saving me Axe Expertise in place of Heavy Blade Expertise & Opportunity), and it saves me a Feat, as it is a Military Weapon. Of course, the big hit here is the lack of damage (1d8 as opposed to 1d10/1d12 on a Striker... ugh); but should that be enough to scare me away? What do the great minds of CharOp think?

Once again, to quickly break it down:

Bastard Sword,
Pros: +3 Hit, 1d10 Damage, Compatible with the Chill Wind Weapon Enchantment.
Cons: Costs a Feat, Lackluster Support, Weapon Mastery will be near-impossible to obtain.

Waraxe,
Pros: 1d12, Great Feat Support (Faux Brutal 1 & Hi-Crit), Weapon Mastery a total viable option.
Cons: -1 to Hit, Incompatible with the Chill Wind Weapon Enchantment, Costs a Feat.

Khopesh,
Pros: Brutal 1, Chill Wind Weapon, Wide Feat Range, Military Weapon, Weapon Mastery is easily obtainable.
Cons: -1 to hit, 1d8 Damage Die.
My question is why you're gravitating towards one-handed weapons... on a Striker.  Swing those Mordenkrads and Execution Axes and Fullblades with pride.
My question is why you're gravitating towards one-handed weapons... on a Striker.  Swing those Mordenkrads and Execution Axes and Fullblades with pride.

Well, I figured as one of the only Strikers who has access to both Plate Armor and Heavy Shields... I might as well play up the beefiness aspect. Blackguards have Defender-level HP and rely on THP anyway, so no matter what I'll be tough and tanky. Not only that; I plan on taking the Dreadnought PP, which will make me very hard to put down.

Well, I figured as one of the only Strikers who has access to both Plate Armor and Heavy Shields... I might as well play up the beefiness aspect. Blackguards have Defender-level HP and rely on THP anyway, so no matter what I'll be tough and tanky. Not only that; I plan on taking the Dreadnought PP, which will make me very hard to put down.

You'll be fine in regards to AC with a two-handed weapon - after all, you're in plate.  You won't be Defender standard, but you won't be a pincushion.
Also, in regards to my Paragon Path, I gain an ability called Inexonarable Advance which allows me to make two attacks when used. It also gets a bump in attack power equal to my Constitution Modifier, but only while wielding a Hammer/Mace/Axe. My Constitution Modifier won't be tremendous, but it's still at least a free +2 for using the Khopesh or Waraxe (especially since I'll definitely be burning it every Encounter).

You'll be fine in regards to AC with a two-handed weapon - after all, you're in plate.  You won't be Defender standard, but you won't be a pincushion.

What weapon would you suggest, then? The Fullblade for Enchantment support, or the Executioner's Axe for Feat Support?
Why do you think the Chill Wind weapon is so much better than a Frost Weapon?

Chill Wind pro's:
- Resist fire, which is ok I guess, but the Frost weapon daily power also isn't bad for a striker and come into play more often
- 20 ongoing cold on a crit, which makes 1 in 20 attacks deal a lot more damage than a regular Frost weapon

Chill Wind cons:
- Heavy Blade only
- Level 15 weapon (Frost is 3+), which means a slower upgrade of your attack bonus

So basically, Chill Wind will be randomly very good (vs fire attacks and when you crit), but the Frost weapon is consistently better and lets you use the weapon you want. If you really want to wield an axe, I don't see why you shouldn't just take a Frost weapon.
The two best weapons for a Blackguard are the Rapier (if you want to go one-handed) and the Gouge (if you want to go two-handed).  No others need apply.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
What weapon would you suggest, then? The Fullblade for Enchantment support, or the Executioner's Axe for Feat Support?

If you're attached to the Chill Wind enchantment, then go with the more accurate Fullblade.  But otherwise, either/or, especially if you go with the Frost enchantment.

As boring as it may sound... Gouge (axe/spear) and charge-spam.
If you want a Cha/Con Blackguard for that Con rider, play a human with Virtuous Strike or a Half-Elf with Eldritch Strike, so you get a Cha-based MBA that you can use all day long. Done.
I've never been convinced by the argument for 2h weapons for Blackguards.

[W] is such a low portion of Blackguard damage that I'd strongly argue that the added defense from a shield outweighs the slight DPR increase.  Yes, I know you're a striker, but you don't do any damage when you're unconscious.  Defense has always been a part of the strongest striker builds posted here, particularly LDB's Rangers.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
In which case, you just pick a Rapier and do the same tricks :P
As boring as it may sound... Gouge (axe/spear) and charge-spam.
If you want a Cha/Con Blackguard for that Con rider, play a human with Virtuous Strike or a Half-Elf with Eldritch Strike, so you get a Cha-based MBA that you can use all day long. Done.

Well, I don't want to build a Chargespam character on the sheer principle that one of my fellow teammates is going to be pulling off some Chargespam tactics with a Greatspear, and I don't want to step on his toes (or have incredibly similar characters). What makes Rapier so viable? Surprising Charge and Light Blade feat support? Compared to the Khopesh it does the same damage and has no properties (though it does have a +1 to hit).
What makes Rapier so viable? Surprising Charge and Light Blade feat support? Compared to the Khopesh it does the same damage and has no properties (though it does have a +1 to hit).

Yes, its the light blade feat support.  Plus it doesn't cost a feat and gives you a +3 proficiency.  Weapon dice size also matters less the higher level you are. 

Rapier was considered a clunker weapon by charop a long time ago IIRC.
Better accuracy, better damage support.  Deft Blade, Nimble Blade, Suprising Charge, Light Blade Expertise etc etc etc.

Unfortunately, if you don't want to play a charger, you've picked the wrong class.  Charging is the Blackguard's only realy means of damage opping, save for permafrost.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Alright, so this is what I've gathered from the thread:

1. Forget Sword & Boarding
2. Gouge/Rapier would be optimal.
3. Charge Focus.

I'm willing to forego having a Shield, and I'm also willing to focus more of my Feats and such toward a charge focus... but I don't want to use a Gouge or a Rapier. They're just not what I envisioned for the Character, and a Greatspear/Gouge party would just be horrendously lame.

So, what's everyone's ideal choice for a Non-Spear Two Handed Weapon? I assume Fullblade, and that is kind of the direction I want to lean with it. Thoughts? 
If you're looking into a 2hander that you can reasonably use to chargespam, I'd say Avalanche Hammer, thus a Mordenkrad. Unless of course you're looking into Permafrost, in which case I'd rather have a Fullblade for the extra accuracy. And Two-Handed Weapon Expertise, unless you plan to use Implement powers :P
Fullblade is probably the next best charger's weapon.  That or a Mordenkrad.
Greatspear is up there too, but that is so you can charge without ending up next to them and it has +3 proficiency bonus with spear feats.
Greatspear is up there too, but that is so you can charge without ending up next to them and it has +3 proficiency bonus with spear feats.

Nice with Unbroken Lance...now they are prone ....one square away.
Sign In to post comments