A quick advertisement for VTT

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I just had my first VTT session.  

The facts:

I'm a total stickler for spending money.  I spent a ton of loot cakes on the books, minis, and even old stuff on ebay and I tend to hate myself for it.

I'm not even a huge fan of the 4e's style of DnD.  I quit after my first campaign and went to E6.  (Not saying anyone else should, just stating what I did).  

Today I played with a friends in three different states, a friend who is living in Thailand, and 2 dudes I haven't met till tonight.  

I DM'd a 4e game tonight. My first on VTT. 

And I am a believer.

Just My Opinion:
If they do not try and squeeze even more money out of me but monetizing things like tokens or tiles, I will stay subscribed.  Adventures, yes, please do. I will pay.  Virtual goods.  No thank you.  

PS - E6 is still my prefered ruleset for in person games.  (not trying/wanting to start a war, just expressing my opinon).
word

What is E6?

And is VTT that virtual table top thing? Last time I checked on that it was an unfufilled promise.

Asuming I'm right about the abbreviation do you believe I could run a game on the VTT on an iPad or tablet instead of using a battle mat? My current table to battlemat ratio leaves no room to lay papers down without something being covered up.

EDIT: Found out what E6 is on my own.
Yes, I do regret my Forum Name...Tech N9ne is clearly the best rapper of all time. I am currently looking to get in on a Real Adventures PbP game. PM me if you are looking for another PC.
The VTT has been around for over a year.  I agree that overall its good and its the main way I play 4E now.

You can run it on an IPAD through a remote desktop ap, but it runs on a windows tablet fine by itself.  I don't think it works on android tablets, except via remote desktop probably.
We've been using maptools since 4e started.

Which is pretty comprable to VTT.  But it's free.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

About 3 sessions ago, I switched my campaign from Maptools to VTT and my players and I love it.   It is 100% easier for me to make maps and populate the maps with VTT.  

My players love it because they can see everything in their character sheets so easily and they can roll from the sheet as well.  The maptools macro tokens by various parties work for that, but they are much more clunky.  VTT interface is cleaner and more intuitive.

Overall, my group is glad we've moved to VTT. 

A Brave Knight of WTF - "Wielder of the Sword of Balance"

Rhenny's Blog:  http://community.wizards.com/user/1497701/blog

ive got one slot open in a paragon game

community.wizards.com/dndbeta/go/thread/...
If you are serious about playing D&D online, you should take a close look at Fantasy Grounds.  It blows away VTT in it's current state.

About 3 sessions ago, I switched my campaign from Maptools to VTT and my players and I love it.   It is 100% easier for me to make maps and populate the maps with VTT.  

My players love it because they can see everything in their character sheets so easily and they can roll from the sheet as well.  The maptools macro tokens by various parties work for that, but they are much more clunky.  VTT interface is cleaner and more intuitive.

Overall, my group is glad we've moved to VTT. 

Last i checked the integration with the CB was kinda spotty... and there was none for the monster builder.

How is it now?

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Pretty seamless, actually.  Even better is that you can save characters in the VT format and take them from table to table.  This is the post-import, edited character, or even one you made from scratch such as the one I made for a 1e game.  It's really nice for LFR, because you can bring your character to each new table without having to reimport.

I remember importing monsters from the MB, custom ones, but it's been a while so I'm not sure my mind isn't playing tricks on me.  But I'm pretty sure that it handles custom MB imports flawlessly now that the new MB is up and running.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Pretty seamless, actually.  Even better is that you can save characters in the VT format and take them from table to table.  This is the post-import, edited character, or even one you made from scratch such as the one I made for a 1e game.  It's really nice for LFR, because you can bring your character to each new table without having to reimport.

I remember importing monsters from the MB, custom ones, but it's been a while so I'm not sure my mind isn't playing tricks on me.  But I'm pretty sure that it handles custom MB imports flawlessly now that the new MB is up and running.

Cool.  That might actually be worth the cash then.  Gunna have to give it another look.

Still, for those without, maptools is still a great option. 

guides
Power
my builds

Eh, I consider DDI to be worth it for Compendium alone, so I don't consider myself as having to pay for the VT.
Eh, I consider DDI to be worth it for Compendium alone, so I don't consider myself as having to pay for the VT.

Can i connect to it more then once per account?

Like...

Have 1 PC set up to a big screen TV for the players to use.
Setup a laptop for the DM.

Or will i need 1 account per connection? 

guides
Power
my builds

One account per connection, technically, though recently they've introduced a system by which you can invite non-DDI members to a table.  I've considered doing what you suggest, and I agree that it would work well, and you could do it with only one DDI account.
One account per connection, technically, though recently they've introduced a system by which you can invite non-DDI members to a table.  I've considered doing what you suggest, and I agree that it would work well, and you could do it with only one DDI account.

Cool.  Then i'll definatly have to give it another go.

But yea, that's our current setup (DM laptop + big TV) with map tools.  Works pretty great.

The only "issue" is that your not facing each other like you would if you where all sitting at the same table.  Which detracts from things a little bit.  And the mouse, which we just dedicate someone to move pieces.  If only i could afford a large table top touch screen... 

guides
Power
my builds

The adjustment that I'm planning on making to that setup is to remote desktop the laptop to my ipad.  Less footprint, same function.

And yeah, I've had success running VT on an ipad via a remote desktop app.  It was surprising how not a pain in the ass it was.
I love being able to take monsters right from the monster builder into VTT (standard ones or customized ones).  I can also modify them inside the VTT if I want to drop their HP, which I've been doing lately to speed up combats.

Character sheets in VTT are also customizable so that you can even create/add your own powers or edit text.  Then when you save them, you can call them back with everything saved.  

I just spent 30 minutes making a map for my session tonight...lickity split.

A Brave Knight of WTF - "Wielder of the Sword of Balance"

Rhenny's Blog:  http://community.wizards.com/user/1497701/blog

HAve they put Dungeon modules into VTT yet? That would be a pretty powerful add right there.
they have done several special events with adventures and maps right from dungeon, but its something id like to see more of
I may be in the minority, but I enjoy just throwing a few potential characters into it and seeing how they handle things.
Sign In to post comments