Masterplan??? WTF!!!!!!

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok so I am a little behind...been playing and not GMing..but it is my turn to GM since I got an new PC I had to re-install Masterplan (great tool!!) and it seems the WOTC lawyers made them get rid of the integration with DnDi!!!! WTF!!! really!!!! Instead of working with the devs to figure out the issues or better yet buying the tool and hiring the devs (since it is better then what you have) you go the other route? When will other companies realise open source is a great way to extend what you provide!!!! Gee big tech companies like IBM do it all the time....they were the major support behind Eclipse being built and then they took extended and sell for a ton of money!!!!

DnDi please stop and think, it required them to pay for you service and then use the data you provided (that they pay for) to make a better expereince....hell you guys should have been thsnking them...not sicking the lawyers on them...

Sorry but since Dungeon and Dragon have gotten so bad and the tools provided are really not all the great it is time to stop the Dndi subscritpion.....lol I know nothing will change with this post but I feel a little better just typing it........

Yeah, speak with your wallet, if they stop getting subs for dodgy practices, maybe they'll stop dodgy practices.
Long answer short - Masterplan, in the configuration that existed when the C&D order was sent out, allowed for the complete downloading of the Compendium into nice datafiles, followed by the subsequent sharing of said datafiles.

*That* is why the C&D order was sent out.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
Long answer short - Masterplan, in the configuration that existed when the C&D order was sent out, allowed for the complete downloading of the Compendium into nice datafiles, followed by the subsequent sharing of said datafiles.

Yes, but any web scraper (which is perfectly legal) could download all the Compendium files (and I know it has been done in the past) and those files could be shared.

Masterplan encouraged people to get DDI. In fact, it wasn't until after the C&D that I suddenly saw masterplan libraries pop up all over the internet (I'm not saying they weren't there before, I don't really know because I wasn't specifically looking for them although other people claimed to have seen one file floating around, but it did appear that they suddenly popped up all over the place). However, after the C&D the programmer made it so that libraries couldn't be shared. Why would that not be sufficient? Who cares if you can download the data (like I said this can already be done) if it can't be shared between users? Or why not allow sharing so long as the download feature is disabled? It seems like overkill to have both.

Masterplan is far superior to any tools I saw coming from WotC. If they had been smart, they would have offered to integrate Masterplan into DDI instead of trying to marginalize it.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
Ok so I am a little behind...been playing and not GMing..but it is my turn to GM since I got an new PC I had to re-install Masterplan (great tool!!) and it seems the WOTC lawyers made them get rid of the integration with DnDi!!!! WTF!!! really!!!! Instead of working with the devs to figure out the issues or better yet buying the tool and hiring the devs (since it is better then what you have) you go the other route? When will other companies realise open source is a great way to extend what you provide!!!! Gee big tech companies like IBM do it all the time....they were the major support behind Eclipse being built and then they took extended and sell for a ton of money!!!!

DnDi please stop and think, it required them to pay for you service and then use the data you provided (that they pay for) to make a better expereince....hell you guys should have been thsnking them...not sicking the lawyers on them...

Sorry but since Dungeon and Dragon have gotten so bad and the tools provided are really not all the great it is time to stop the Dndi subscritpion.....lol I know nothing will change with this post but I feel a little better just typing it........

Do you at least still have your old libraries?

Yes, but any web scraper (which is perfectly legal) could download all the Compendium files (and I know it has been done in the past) and those files could be shared.

True. But with MP, it was integrated directly into the software. I think that f it had been a seperate program, they might have escaped the C&D order.

Masterplan is far superior to any tools I saw coming from WotC. If they had been smart, they would have offered to integrate Masterplan into DDI instead of trying to marginalize it.

Don't get me wrong. I agree whole-heartedly. I strongly encouraged WotC to release a well-developed API for the Compendium so that people could write their own programs. Put something in there requiring a monthly check for an active subscription so that using the tools requires a subscription, and you have the community working for you and providing a whole lot of stuff. But I think that the executives who make the final decisions may not be as aware of stuff like this or, if they are, do not believe that it would work like that.
It's worth pointing out that the WOTC lawyers never specified any Masterplan feature they had a problem with. They simply demanded it be deleted forever.
It's worth pointing out that the WOTC lawyers never specified any Masterplan feature they had a problem with. They simply demanded it be deleted forever.

That's....interesting...to say the least. Although the only thing they really had any grounds for was the download feature anyway.

However, I often wonder if you didn't go a bit far with the controls. After all, if you can't download the monsters, why should we not be able to share libraries? Or conversely, I we can't share libraries, who cares if we can download monsters? The library sharing thing is really a headache when I switch between my laptop (when I'm on the road) and my desktop (which I use to run games at home).
Yes, people often say, "you might as well see how far you can push the Hasbro lawyers; no harm can come of it".

;)
Yes, people often say, "you might as well see how far you can push the Hasbro lawyers; no harm can come of it".

;)

I don't think it's really a matter of pushing the limits. Obviously you don't want to get into a pissing contest with someone that has a lot more money than you. I'm not by any means suggesting that you provoke them or just try to see how much you can get away with. It's just that 1) even though they didn't specify it, you know what the issue was, 2) either one of those controls on its own should be sufficient to make it a non-issue.

It's also worth pointing out that you pretty much knew exactly what feature to remove and that you haven't had a C&D since (that anyone in the general public is aware of). 

Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept. Default module =/= Core mechanic.
So is this why I can't use the libraries from my desktop on my laptop?  I like to plan out my campaign on the desktop but I run it from the laptop because of the portability, and that still works fine, so I'm not complaining...just curious is all.
In point of fact, no, we didn't know. One senior WotC developer advised us that the problem was probably the use of the term 'level'.
In point of fact, no, we didn't know. One senior WotC developer advised us that the problem was probably the use of the term 'level'.

You can't be serious. They couldn't be serious. Ok maybe so...but that's about the most retarded thing ever. Pushing that would be an obvious case of them throwing their money around to shut people down since there is no legal grounds to restrict the term level. Wow...just wow...
I find the idea that they would be sending a C&D based on the use of the term level to be completely ludicrous.

Much more likely is that the Legal department did not tell anyone else (except for senior management) that they were sending out a C&D, and that the dev you spoke to just pulled a guess out of his ear.
Interestingly, the boys over at CBLoader are fighting back against their DMCA notice, and for what it's worth, Google appears to have allowed them to resume normal operations.  Whether or not Hasbro has a case against CBLoader, their complaint as stated in their DMCA notice, that they were hosting WotC software, was incorrect, since all they host is their own launcher that's functionless without a copy of the CB.

Interesting case to watch anyway.

That's....interesting...to say the least. Although the only thing they really had any grounds for was the download feature anyway.

However, I often wonder if you didn't go a bit far with the controls. After all, if you can't download the monsters, why should we not be able to share libraries? Or conversely, I we can't share libraries, who cares if we can download monsters? The library sharing thing is really a headache when I switch between my laptop (when I'm on the road) and my desktop (which I use to run games at home).

Well yeah.  Since my hardrive crash mid january, I was wondering why it wasn't working up to snuff that it had.  Hell if I'm going to sit there typing in every last monster when I just use the old AT and Combat Manager instead to run battles.

Damn, and Masterplan had been so useful before . . .
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]
Interestingly, the boys over at CBLoader are fighting back against their DMCA notice, and for what it's worth, Google appears to have allowed them to resume normal operations.  Whether or not Hasbro has a case against CBLoader, their complaint as stated in their DMCA notice, that they were hosting WotC software, was incorrect, since all they host is their own launcher that's functionless without a copy of the CB.

Interesting case to watch anyway.

Good luck to them.
You can of course still use Masterplan; there's an add-in which downloads creatures from the compendiun for you.
Is there?  Last I heard, downloading had been disabled since 1.8x.  And even that version's download function doesn't seem to work anymore.

Of course, I have yet to find a central loaction for add-ons for the program.  Not that I've really done much in the way of in-depth searching. 
There is; you can find a link to it on the Masterplan Facebook page.