manamorphose

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hi guys, got a couple of questions about Manamorphose  and the interaction between some cards.

When Manamorphose  resolves, is the mana available during the whole turn or I have to use it before drawing a card (2nd ability)? 

The kind of combo I was thinking about was, Free cast Manamorphose from Galvanoth’s ability then use Chandra, the Firebrand’s 2nd ability with flashback from Increasing Vengeance. Do I get 10 manas and 5 cards to draw?

Thanks in advance

Hi guys, got a couple of questions about Manamorphose  and the interaction between some cards.

When Manamorphose  resolves, is the mana available during the whole turn or I have to use it before drawing a card (2nd ability)? 

You have to use it before the current phase or step ends.

The kind of combo I was thinking about was, Free cast Manamorphose from Galvanoth’s ability then use Chandra, the Firebrand’s 2nd ability with flashback from Increasing Vengeance. Do I get 10 manas and 5 cards to draw?

That won't work because you have to use the mana in your upkeep step, and you can only use a Planeswalker's loyalty ability in your main phase.

Forgetting the Galvanoth part, this means I could use Manamorphose then Chandra, the Firebrand’s 2nd ability with flashback from Increasing Vengeance I'd still get X manas and Y cards to draw?

edit twice: really getting confused
I don't think you can do what you are trying to do.

Chandra's ability has sorcery timing to it.  So you can only activate it while the stack is empty.  YOu can not activate it with the manamorphose on the stack (so you can't target it with increasining vengeance if you want the vengeance to be the spell copied by Chandra)

Also note that the copy created by Chandra (of Increasing vengeance) will not see itself as being cast from the graveyard (because it isn't)

Maybe I'm not understanding what you are trying to do though.

Edit: Ahh, I think I get it now.  You are trying to figure out the maximum number of Manamorphoses you could get.  I thought you were trying to get Chandra to make a copy of increasing Vengeance.  See the below answers.
MTG Rules Advisor
You need to activate Chandra's ability before you can Manamorphose.  So you want to know how many copies you would get if you cast Manamorphose triggering Chandra's second ability and then flashbacked Increasing Vengeance?  After Chandra's ability and Increasing Vengence resolved, there would be four Manamorphoses on the stack, the original plus three copies.  Each one resolves separately, so when one resolves, you two mana of your choice to your pool, then draw a card.  Then when the next one resolves, you do the same thing.  You end up with 8 mana and 4 drawn cards total.
DCI Level 1 Judge Please autocard: [c]Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon[/c] = Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon [c=Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon]Skittles[/c] = Skittles Cards do what they say they do. No more. No less.
Forgetting the Galvanoth part, this means I could use Manamorphose then Chandra, the Firebrand’s 2nd ability with flashback from Increasing Vengeance I'd still get X manas and Y cards to draw?

edit twice: really getting confused

The first thing you should do is to activate Chandra's ability, and let it resolve. Only then you cast the spell you want to copy (Manamorphose), and in response to said spell, you flashback-cast Increasing Vengeance. It will give you a total of 4 manamorphoses ( = 8 mana and draw 4 cards).

Notice you can't use Manamorphose's mana to cast a spell to copy Manamorphose itself. You need to have seven mana total to even start doing all this (2 for Manamorphose, 5 for flashback Vengeance).

Also, in this scenario you just can't copy Increasing Vengeance with Chandra's ability (to get more copies of manamorphose), because Chandra copies the next spell you cast, and Vengeance need to target a spell already casted (but which didn't resolved yet), so Manamorphose needs to be cast between these two and therefore will necessarily be the "next" instant/sorcery spell you cast.

[<o>]
Also, just a side note here.  A copied Increasing spell will not have its increased effect since the copy was not cast at all, let alone from a graveyard.
DCI Level 1 Judge Please autocard: [c]Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon[/c] = Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon [c=Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon]Skittles[/c] = Skittles Cards do what they say they do. No more. No less.
Thanks for the infos, now it's much clearer and makes sense to me! You guys rock

Your problem appears to be here:

You can't use the mana before drawing the card (and more importantly, only after Manamorphose has fully resolved, ceased being a spell and has gone to the graveyard).

When Manamorphose resolves, first you choose the color combination you want, then the mana is added to your pool, then you draw a card, then Manamorphose goes to the graveyard, and just then you get priority. You don't have the chance to use the mana before this.

So you can cast spells before Manamorphose resolves, or after, but not during the resolution's, between each 'part' of it.

[<o>]

Notice you can't use Manamorphose's mana to cast a spell to copy Manamorphose itself. You need to have seven mana total to even start doing all this (2 for Manamorphose, 5 for flashback Vengeance).

You could do it with 5 mana - use 2 for Manamorphose (3 mana, 1 Manamorphose on the stack), it gets copied by Chandra's effect (3 mana, 2 Manamorphose on the stack), let that one resolve (5 mana, 1 Manamorphose on the stack), flashback Increasing Vengeance (3 Manamorphose on the stack), then let everything resolve.

If you really want to abuse Manamorphose, try Pyromancer Ascension, or an Isochron Scepter, or preferably both.

Current decks
Comments or suggestions are always welcome

Modern
nothing at the moment