How to paint this?

I built it out of insulation foam, glued some sand on randomly and painted. First I painted everything with black, then with a dark gray. Later I just drybrushed with a lighter gray to give it some texture.

Do you have any tips on how to add color? I heard you can use a sort of color wash? I've put a lot of work into this baby and don't want to ruin it now Smile

[video=1496837]
Man, what amazing work you did.
Love your sculpt.
congratulations.

Man, what amazing work you did.
Love your sculpt.
congratulations.

Thanks. I'll probably upload a video of the finished model so stay tuned!  Cool
That is fricken crazy cool! My inner DM has already designed a dozen encounters based on that terrain. Please make sure you post a video of the finished product. Thanks for sharing.
Absolutely amazing! I cannot even think of what would make that any better. I make pieces also, out of a expensive plastic resin. I cannot imagine making this though! Where or how did you come up w/ the design?
Good job!
The piece was inspired by Weathertop from Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. I wanted scenery for an epic fight I've been planing for my group. We played yesterday and it was amazing. I tried to design it so playing on it wouldn't be too difficult, and it wasn't. The rogue immediately hid behind a pile of rubble, the fighter lunged into combat while the wizard was blasting minions from afar... good times. Smile

I need to get some things in order first (I'm an architect), but I'll definitely post a video of the finished piece by the end of next week. Thanks for the praise guys!
As promised: The finished piece of terrain I started to build about two weeks ago. I built it for my gaming group, and used it for an especially epic encounter. It's a temple that sits atop a mountain. The local farmers call it Dragontop, and it was the home of an ancient black dragon that used to rule the island a thousand years ago...

[video=1493113]

Please comment. Thanks!
Now that's a really cool piece of terrain. I wonder what kind of paint you use on foam. And how much it took just to paint it all with all shadows and lights.
I spent about 36 hours on the whole thing. To paint foam gaming terrain builders usually use acrylic paints.
Sign In to post comments