Red Box or core books?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Long story short, my dad's birthday is coming up and I found out he was a major D&D nerd back in college/hs. Apparently he was a full time dungon master and his dorm room was full of minis and 3d terrain type stuff, so I'm thinking getting him back into D&D would be the perfect gift. :D Unfortunately I know very little about the game myself, so I've done some research and I'm wondering if I should get the cheaper "red box" starter kit, or go all out and purchase the three core rule books. If the red box is really limited, I don't think I want to spend $20 on something if I would have to buy the rest of the core books later anyways.
Just looking for suggestions, opinions, etc! Thanks in advance! (And I hope this is in the right forum! Apologies if it isn't!)

Well, if he's got that much previous edition experience, giving him the Red Box is kind of pointless - it's really for folks without previous experience just starting out in the game...
Since he's oldschool and apparently hasn't played since then, he's missed a couple of editions which made some major changes in the game.
 Personally, rather than buying the original 4E core books (which are rather expensive, relatively speaking) I'd buy him the Heroes of the Fallen Lands  player's book and the Rules Compendium. The Essentials books are a bit closer to what he'll remember, and the two of them won't be much more expensive than buying one of the original books.
If he renews his interest in the game, buy him one of the DM books at a later date.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

do you know what edition he was into ? if basic/ODnD, i'd suggest the essentials player books, very reminiscent. if 1E, there's some great limited reprints coming up soon of those core books. if 2E, i'd actually recommend the 4E PHB. 

opinions may differ, but- i was big in 2E in the early/mid 90s, and 4E is what got me back into DnD; i quit during the 3.X era. original 4E evokes a much stronger feeling of 2E to me than the essentials reboot does.

i agree with Mad_Jack though, the redbox would not be for him (unless it's a nostalgia gift because the original redbox was his first product!)
Bane of Gnomes. "An angel of snuggles is a bad match for evil gods." -Mike Mearls (Worlds&Monsters, p.72)
Long story short, my dad's birthday is coming up and I found out he was a major D&D nerd back in college/hs. Apparently he was a full time dungon master and his dorm room was full of minis and 3d terrain type stuff, so I'm thinking getting him back into D&D would be the perfect gift. :D Unfortunately I know very little about the game myself, so I've done some research and I'm wondering if I should get the cheaper "red box" starter kit, or go all out and purchase the three core rule books. If the red box is really limited, I don't think I want to spend $20 on something if I would have to buy the rest of the core books later anyways.
Just looking for suggestions, opinions, etc! Thanks in advance! (And I hope this is in the right forum! Apologies if it isn't!)

Dungeons and Dragons Core Rulebook Gift Set, 4th Edition
[Box set]
[Hardcover]

This three volume gift set is the way to go.
PlayersHandBook, DungeonMaster'sGuide, & MonsterManual
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together" -- Carl Zwanzig

Shaman.jpg
D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

The pen is mightier than the character builder.
Copy this to your sig if you like 4e but don't use the CB.

I think that the Essentials line has a more DnD-y feel than the power-based original 4e rulebooks. I second getting Heroes of the Fallen Lands or Forgotten Kingdoms. Heroes of Shadow and Heroes of the Feywild are also awesome, but can probably hold off until after HoFL/HoFK.

Your friendly neighborhood Revenant Minotaur Half-Blooded Dragonborn Fighter Hybrid Barbarian Multiclassing into Warlord

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1223957875/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

Thanks for the help everyone! I had a feeling the redbox would be too beginner-ish. I'm not sure but I'm thinking he played 2e and a bit of 3.5. I guess now it's between the original 4th edition books and the essentials books. Like all important decisions I shall choose based on which books have the coolest cover art..! :P
No no no no no!

I'm a dad also, 4*cough* ish. 

I'm not about to make a big deal on the whole 4E now 5E(Next) issue and the 4E and Essentials issue mess, but I'll simply say this, if he's old school, what will likely really mean a lot to him will be a reprint of the 1E boxes:

wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd%2Fpro...

"The turning of the tide always begins with one soldier's decision to head back into the fray"

I don't think I want to spend $20 on something if I would have to buy the rest of the core books later anyways.

The Red Box has dice, cards, tokens, battlemaps, introductory information and an excellent adventure. I felt it was well worth it even though I already had all the books. I certainly recommend it to get him started even if you think he might eventually decide to get the other books.

I like the core books myself.
DannoE "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one"  The Internet's Best Triathlon / Comic/ D&D Blog!
It ended up to be the heros paperback books.  Greatest b-day gift ever!  I really enjoy the 4th Edition.  I used to play 2E back in the days.  All of these feats and the very long encounters are hard getting used to but so far managing well.  Back in the days I dropped the whole pre-made adventures and came up with my own content, however, I find these days with work and now teaching college the pre-made ones are working well.  I am DMing Isle of the Sea Drake right now for the family, putting a few more interesting twists in but the adventure so far is working well.  My daugther will be hosting Madness at Gardmore Abbey next definitely will need an interesting hook to transition from the sea monster story.  I am looking forward to playing as well, I don't remember DMing taking so much energy when I was younger.
I am glad this story has a happy ending and a family playing D&D together!
Cool update!