24 Hour Contest: One-Mana Creatures

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is a simple one.  Make a one-mana creature!  It should be fairly aggressively-costed, and fun, elegant, or both.  You'll be rated on a ten-point scale and given comments when it ends.  Ready go!
Goblin Skirmisher R
Creature - Goblin Warrior
Haste
Skrimish -- At the beginning of the end step, ~ deals 2 damage to you, unless three or more creatures have dealt combat damage this turn.
All it knows is how to beat faces in.  It doesn't discriminate on the one who owns them.
2/2
\o/
Ninja of Steel Star Blue
Creature - Human Ninja
Ninjutsu Blue(Blue, Return an unblocked attacker you control to hand: Put this card onto the battlefield from your hand tapped and attacking.)
Whenever Ninja of the Steel Star deals combat damage to a player, you may have it deal one damage to target creature that player controls.
1/1

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

It doesn't discriminiate on who ones them.

wut? :q

Embermind Mage
Creature - Human Wizard
: ~ deals 1 damage to target creature and itself.
1/1

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I'm pretty sure he was shooting for the word "owns."

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Vampire Shooter
Creature - Vampire Uncommon
At the Beggining of your End Step if ~ did not deal Damage to an opponent it deals 2 Damage to you.
If she does not get enough Blood she takes some from her summoner.
3/2

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Body Harvester

Creature-Human
At the beginning of your upkeep, if a creature died since the beginning of your last upkeep, transform Body Harvester.
0/1

--------------------------
Life Gorger
Creature-Vampire
Life Gorger is black.
Flying
Whenever a creature dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Life Gorger.
At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a +1/+1 counter from Life Gorger.  If you can't, transform it.
1/1
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sometimes I imagine what Cisnero's life must be like. I imagine cargo pants - every pocket stuffed with coins. I imagine him (I almost said "him or her" but then I decided his gender with through the randomization of a small metal disk) - I imagine him, shopping, purchasing food, choosing which spot to park in, all through this meticulous flipping process. I imagine him asking a girl out, taking her to have a drink or whatever and then asking if she wants to play this fun game. When she responds "Sure." he removes a single quarter from one of his jingling pockets. Then proceeds to flip it repeatedly while she calls it - until she is able to make up an excuse to leave. Will he respond to this post? Only if the Chaotic Gods of Copper and Nickel deem it so. Someday many years from now, in the Dystopian future world, I'll ride my Billy Idol Unicycle past a bedraggled slumbub - He'll be clad in armor made all of the (now worthless) coins of yesterdecade. He'll grin a shiny grin at me as he flips another coin - and I'll know who it was. How could I not?

~ You Take to the Sky ~

57325798 wrote:
STOP SOPA/PIPA. Okay, a little post about this in my sig which half of the people on here won't even see isn't likely to do a lot, but if you aren't aware of what's going on, educate yourself. And then join in the chorus of voices shouting at the U.S. Congress to stop these bills. Visit Wikipedia to learn more and to contact your Senators and Representatives. -- According to lawyers… (SOPA) doesn’t shut down your website and remove it from the Internet. It just makes it so that people cannot, in any way, access the website. So it’s sort of like coming up with a plan to prevent teen pregnancy that includes filling penises with cement. — Jon Stewart

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
\o/
Chatoyant Cavalier
Creature - Elemental Knight
Color Indicator - WUBRG

As an additional cost to cast ~, reveal a five-colored card from your hand.

Multicolored creatures you control get +1/+1.

[1/1]
I have found the secret of posting sigs! Kablooie's symbol Palette: 2U 
Fumbling Goblin

Creature -- Goblin
At the beginning of your upkeep, tap target creature you control.
Goblins are known for many things, but grace isn't one of them.
2/2 
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
King of Worms - [manacost]B[/manacost]
Creature - Worm
Whenever another creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a -1/-1 counter on it, then put a +1/+1 counter on King of Worms.
Pay 3 life: Regenerate King of Worms.
1/1

(Are we limited to one per person?)
Thank you for the inspiration fograider.

King of Wurms
Creature - Human Shaman
, : Put an X/X green wurm creature token on the battlefield. Then put the top X cards of your library into your graveyard.
0/2
Tiny Parody
Creature - Shapeshifter (R)
You may have ~ enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield, except it’s still 1/1.
The creature was his perfect likeness, and he would have suspected the oddity a cleverly placed mirror, were it not also one-eighth his size.
1/1
Tiny Parody
Creature - Shapeshifter (R)
You may have ~ enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield, except it’s still 1/1.
The creature was his perfect likeness, and he would have suspected the oddity a cleverly placed mirror, were it not also one-eighth his size.
1/1

Quit being awesome please.
Kindle Elemental
Cereature - Elemental
Haste
Imprint
- As ~ enters the battlefield, exile the top card of your library.
~'s power is equal to the converted mana cost of the exiled card or 3, whichever is lower.
For it to burn, you need good fuel.
*/1

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Civilized Druid

Creature - Human Druid

When Civilized Druid enters the battlefield, gain life equal to twice the number of lands you control.

Even in their bustling metropolis, she still found a use for her ancient knowledge.

1/1
Spectral Hound
()
Creature - Spirit Hound

Lifelink
Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to ~.

Whenever you would lose life, you lose twice that much life instead. (Damage causes loss of life)

Its diet is measured in lives.
2/1
My colors and decks
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

whatcolor_isblack.jpg
Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

Pilot of: Thrullilicious Bats in the Belfry Glittering Totem Citadel of Barbs Thallid Salad Spreading Slivers Swamped Hardheaded The Big Green Kobold Fire, Fire! The Eyes of Deception It's Complicated Candyman Faceless How to Annoy Friends and Alienate Enemies
Where's the fun in that?
Pygmy Behemoth
Creature - Beast
Trample
~ is indestructible.
It's terrible roar could be heard from meters away.
1/1

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Go go reused submissions.

Escaped Inmate
Creature - Human Rogue
Haste
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a 1/4 white Human Soldier creature token onto the battlefield under target opponent's control. It has "When this creature blocks or becomes blocked by a creature named Escaped Inmate, exile this creature and that creature."
3/2
I have a sig because it gives my posts better spacing.
Admittedly this is stretching the definitions of "One-Mana" and "Creature":

Ornicyst
Artifact - Equipment U
( can be paid with either one mana of any color or 2 life.)
Living weapon (When this Equipment enters the battlefield, put a 0/0 black Germ creature token onto the battlefield, then attach this to it.)
Equipped creature gets +0/+2 and has flying.
Equip
Admittedly this is stretching the definitions of "One-Mana" and "Creature":

Ornicyst
Artifact - Equipment U
( can be paid with either one mana of any color or 2 life.)
Living weapon (When this Equipment enters the battlefield, put a 0/0 black Germ creature token onto the battlefield, then attach this to it.)
Equipped creature gets +0/+2 and has flying.
Equip

I'll allow it.
Headstrong Bodyguard
Creature - Human Soldier
Creatures blocked by Headstrong Bodyguard lose trample.
1/1
Pygmy Behemoth
Creature - Beast
Trample
~ is indestructible.
It's terrible roar could be heard from meters away.
1/1

I want that to be a card so much! The artwork has it stomping on somebodies toe :P

Elderly Goblin
Creature - Goblin
Haste
Whenever ~ attacks, flip a coin. If the result is tails then remove ~ from combat and it deals damage to you equal to it's power.
  Fast for his age, unfortunately for his allies he can't remember them
2/2
Makeshift Myr
:T:: add to your mana pool. At the end of your turn sacrifice ~.

I always wanted a 1 mana myr. The eot clause is mostly just to allow it to interact with Myr Galvanzer. (A man can dream can't he?)

Blood Horror :B:
At the end of your turn sacrifice ~ unless an opponent was dealt damage this turn.
3/2

Tidehollow Oracle Artifact Creature - Human Wizard
When Tidehollow Oracle enters the battlefield, look at the top X cards of your library, where X is the number of artifacts you control. Put one of them into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
1/1
Goblin Firemage
Creature - Goblin Wizard
When Goblin Firemage enters the battlefield, it deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
When Goblin Firemage dies, it deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
Persist
A Goblin Firemage will play with fire from the moment of its birth to its last breath.
1/1
Haze Wisp 
Creature - Spirit
Flash, flying
When ~ dies, draw a card.

The magical wisps dwelling in the glowing marshes of Kallendor are said to bestow protection to those who show them kindness, though their lives seem far too frail for the task.
0/1
Creakwood Whelp :bgm:
Creature - Wurm
If you control a black Horror, ~ gets an additional +1/+1.
If you control a green Horror, ~ gets an additional +1/+1.
Certain things must never be underestimated.
1/1

-- because i heart [C]Creakwood Liege[/C] so very, very much
Yushang - Goblin Skirmisher

This seems a little strong.  I don't think the extra damage is as much of a downside as Goblin Guide's ability.  I really like the design, though.
7/10

AzureShade - Ninja of Steel Star

This doesn't feel entirely blue.  Mechanically speaking, however, I love this card.  I imagine it makes for some pretty fun plays.
7/10

Mown - Embermind Mage

Pretty darn cute.  The options this card provides are quite varied considering its simplicty.  I like it.
8/10

Zokorad - Vampire Shooter

A 3/2 for B that did 2 damage to you every turn is still overpowered.  This is much too good.
2/10

Cisnero - Body Harvester

I'm pretty sure this is not a good card.  I'm not positive.  However, it's still really cute, and I can imagine a build-around deck with this and a ton of kill spells and creatures you sacrifice.
6/10

iqiq - Flameheart Angel

I love the idea of a super-cheap angel, but this makes games way too swingy.  This is basically an awful card unless you get lucky, in which case it ends the game.  I don't think that's good design.  Still, the flavor of it is pretty cool.
3/10

Kablooie - Chatoyant Cavalier

I'm not positive, but can you not just reveal itself?  Is it still in your hand while you're paying to cast it?  Anyway, interpreting this like you intended, I like the idea of this.  Any deck that can abuse a 2/2 for is not going to get away with five-color creatures anyway.  Also I'm curious what a five-color indicator would look like.  All the ambiguity hurts it.
4/10

Libe - Fumbling Goblin

Spikeshot Elder ahoy!  I like this guy.  It encourages atypical play styles for goblins, which God knows that archetype needs.  Really cool design!
7/10

FogRaider - King of Worms

This is pretty cool.  I don't see how it'd be unfair, though I probably wouldn't play it.  It has some nice combo potential too.
7/10

ChaosLight - King of Wurms

This seems mostly random.  I'm not thrilled by this design, really.  It also might be pretty abusable.
3/10

Steinhauser - Tiny Parody

My thought process.  This card is exceedingly cool and I adore it.  This is arguably the best submission I've ever received for a contest.
10/10

theatog - Kindle Elemental

This is awesome and I want to play with it.  The unpredictability and speed are so red.
9/10

Sasnjay - Civilized Druid

The flavor is neat (though the name could use work), and I really like 1 mana creatures that don't suck if you play them late.  That said, this looks more annoying than fun.
5/10

Paroxyde - Corrupted Charger

This doesn't feel black, but I like it.  This would make a pretty good red creature, if I do say so myself.  It's not horrible in black, but I think that's too much damage on the first turn for black.
3/10

Vampire_Bat - Spectral Hound

This seems to just mess games up, really.  It's an unstoppable blocker that makes most attacks not worth it unless they're big enough.  It's too easy to keep a spell to get rid of this guy when the opponent gets enough creatures.
3/10

FirstTurnKill - Pygmy Behemoth

This is adorable.  I love the idea behind this, and I think it's pretty balanced too.  The flavor text is too cute.
9/10

Chintastica - Escaped Inmate

This has the same issue as Corrupted Charger.  3 damage first turn is a lot for black.  Also I think it has elegance issues.  I think an underpriced creature that puts a 1/1 white soldier into play every turn would be a simpler way to do this.
3/10

Elzaban_the_Ethereal - Ornicyst

Cute.  I really like this variation.  It seems pretty balanced.  It's a bit better than Ornithopter.
7/10

Cold_Articuno - Headstrong Bodyguard

So narrow!  It's a cute idea for an ability, I'll give you that.  The execution isn't the best though.  Even on a 1/2 it'd be better.
4/10

ObsidianConspiracy - Elderly Goblin

Love the flavor!  The flavor text does it a lot of favors.  Still, the ability makes this really, really awful and I'd never play it and neither should you.
3/10

TPmanW - Makeshift Myr

I like this!  I wish we had a myr like that in the Scars of Mirrodin block.  Then maybe my myr deck wouldn't have sucked.  (I assume this is 1/1).
7/10

TPmanW - Blood Horror

That's a passable way to get 3 power in.  Good balancing!
8/10

FiveMinuteCatNap - Tidehollow Oracle

This is neat, but does it have to be a creature?
6/10

SlemmeMannen - Goblin Firemage

Waaaaaaaaaaay too good.  This pings when you cast it and pings twice when it dies.  If you trade with this, there's the potential to 4-for-1 with a 1-mana creature.  That's more card advantage than Ancestral Recall.
1/10

Freyjann - Haze Wisp

Cute, a creature that plays like a cantrip.  I like it, but it's also fairly unremarkable.
6/10

Koridian - Creakwood Whelp

Way too narrow.  I don't like it.
2/10

________

And the winners are:

3rd place: theatog with Kindle Elemental!
2nd place: FirstTurnKill with Pygmy Behemoth!
1st place: Steinhauser with Tiny Parody!

Good work y'all!  There were some great submissions!
I was trying to figure  a card that would work in suiblack, but also white weenie (where you have plenty of chump blockers). In that I think it was a success but definately a niche card. My favorite of all submissions was pygmy behemoth:D
My colors and decks
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

whatcolor_isblack.jpg
Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

Pilot of: Thrullilicious Bats in the Belfry Glittering Totem Citadel of Barbs Thallid Salad Spreading Slivers Swamped Hardheaded The Big Green Kobold Fire, Fire! The Eyes of Deception It's Complicated Candyman Faceless How to Annoy Friends and Alienate Enemies
Where's the fun in that?
Cha-ching! Score! I'm glad my card was so well-received. (Including the Chaos Light bonus pool)

Also, good to see that Pygmy Behemoth placed. It's the most adorable card I've ever seen.

Thanks for the contest, SleetFox.
Grats, Stein -- Tiny Parody is gargantuanly cool!!

And thanks for the contest, Sleet -- it was refreshingly simple, entertaining, and fun all the same time   So many cool suggestions and interpretations.  I've definitely bookmarked this thread to come back to when I need inspirations for creative development.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Pff, it's not random :/
Congrats, Steinhauser!
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
AzureShade - Ninja of Steel Star

This doesn't feel entirely blue.  Mechanically speaking, however, I love this card.  I imagine it makes for some pretty fun plays.
7/10

My thought process when making this was "ninja Timmy," or "a creature in blue that taps to do a point of damage but is a ninja."  In keeping with how ninjas work mechanically in Magic, I figured stapling the pinging power to the ninja getting in for player damage seemed fine.  But yeah, I might have tried to make him red since red also loves to do stuff like that.

Anyway, thanks for running the contest!

Wow never have I thought i'd say this but I've designed the winning card before lol. 
Yay, and considering i usually suck at flavor and I already designed the 1/1 copy guy, I think I won this one : P

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
You snoozed; therefore you lost. Also, I came up with the card ages ago :D
You snoozed; therefore you lost. Also, I came up with the card ages ago :D

I try not to reuse my old designs in new contest, unless i'm not trying. See what i did there : P lol

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I think the real skill isn't coming up with good cards, it's knowing which one to submit to the contest!
Sign In to post comments