A Contest About Reusing Mechanics (enter anytime!)
WOTC is all about bringing back mechanics these days. They have an ongoing love affair with Cycling, infected us with a renewed love for poison, and have given us Flashback, uh, back. But what about the less flashy mechanics of the past? Should they not get their time in the sun, too? I thought I'd start a quick contest to see what you, YMTCphiles, can do when presented with real challenges: making exciting cards using forgotten and/or bad mechanics. I was inspired by Theatog's contest, and wanted something to do while my other contest is in the works.
I'll provide a mechanic (not necessarily a keyword), and your job is to design cards that uses the mechanic in a fresh way. You can either use the mechanic as-is, or update/adapt it to make it exciting (landcycling is an update/adaptation to Cycling, for example). I'll grade these on the following criteria:
- Creativity (1-10): How exciting and imaginative the card is, and how creative the use/reuse of the mechanic is. The newer, fresher, and more fun the card looks, the higher the score.
- Execution (1-10): How well the card works. Wording and gameplay are in effect here. The more balanced and elegant your card, the better the score.
Only one entry per person per round. This is a multi-round contest so each round will have a winner, as well as an overall score. Each round will be either 24 48 hours from the contest post, or until at least 8 people enter, whichever comes LAST. And now, without further ado:
- Round 1: Crazy Contraptions - winner: stinkyjoeterry
- Round 2: Boy Bands - winner: FirstTurnKill
- Round 3: Storybook Legends - winner: Degauss
- Round 4: Color of Love - winner: pyrotempestwing
- Round 5: Piece of Pie - winner: Kablooie
- Round 6: Creature Feature - winner: Kablooie
- Round 7: Commanding Authority - winner: Kablooie
- Round 8: History's Story - winner: Monoredburn
- Round 9: Long Live the King - winner: AzureShade
- Round 10: Power of Nostalgia - winner: TBA
Listing of Overall Top 10 competitors:
Round 1: Crazy Contraption
Yea, they totally left us hanging with Steamflogger Boss. Assemble two contraptions instead of one? How neat is that? Looks like card advantage to me! Spikes will go wild! Johnnies everywhere will be making infinite contraption combos! The future looks pretty bright, except for one problem...how does one assemble a contraption? What does that even mean? Well, you tell me!