[Contest] History Repeats --- a contest about reusing mechanics

213 posts / 0 new
Last post
History Repeats

A Contest About Reusing Mechanics (enter anytime!)

WOTC is all about bringing back mechanics these days. They have an ongoing love affair with Cycling, infected us with a renewed love for poison, and have given us Flashback, uh, back. But what about the less flashy mechanics of the past? Should they not get their time in the sun, too? I thought I'd start a quick contest to see what you, YMTCphiles, can do when presented with real challenges: making exciting cards using forgotten and/or bad mechanics. I was inspired by Theatog's contest, and wanted something to do while my other contest is in the works.

Rules

I'll provide a mechanic (not necessarily a keyword), and your job is to design cards that uses the mechanic in a fresh way. You can either use the mechanic as-is, or update/adapt it to make it exciting (landcycling is an update/adaptation to Cycling, for example). I'll grade these on the following criteria:

• Creativity (1-10): How exciting and imaginative the card is, and how creative the use/reuse of the mechanic is. The newer, fresher, and more fun the card looks, the higher the score.

• Execution (1-10): How well the card works. Wording and gameplay are in effect here. The more balanced and elegant your card, the better the score.

Only one entry per person per round. This is a multi-round contest so each round will have a winner, as well as an overall score. Each round will be either 24 48 hours from the contest post, or until at least 8 people enter, whichever comes LAST. And now, without further ado:

Standings

• Round 1: Crazy Contraptions - winner: stinkyjoeterry

• Round 2: Boy Bands - winner: FirstTurnKill

• Round 3: Storybook Legends - winner: Degauss

• Round 4: Color of Love - winner: pyrotempestwing

• Round 5: Piece of Pie - winner: Kablooie

• Round 6: Creature Feature - winner: Kablooie

• Round 7: Commanding Authority - winner: Kablooie

• Round 8: History's Story - winner: Monoredburn

• Round 9: Long Live the King - winner: AzureShade

• Round 10: Power of Nostalgia - winner: TBA

Listing of Overall Top 10 competitors:

ContestantTotal Score
FirstTurnKill115
stinkyjoeterry111
Monoredburn109
AzureShade103
Cold_Articuno87
Kablooie85
Degauss67
Exxile7253
Edacade40
Zokorad36

Round 1: Crazy Contraption

Yea, they totally left us hanging with Steamflogger Boss. Assemble two contraptions instead of one? How neat is that? Looks like card advantage to me! Spikes will go wild! Johnnies everywhere will be making infinite contraption combos! The future looks pretty bright, except for one problem...how does one assemble a contraption? What does that even mean? Well, you tell me!

Round 1: Create a card that 'assembles a contraption'

My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
A long time ago on this board I saw an awesome interpretation and implementation of this mechanic. I don't think anything will top its elegance (in terms of consistency with Steamflogger Boss's wording), relative simplicity, and retroactive obviousness.

Nonetheless, I shall attempt an entirely different vision.

[spoiler]Contraption is an artifact subtype, though it only appears on tokens. Only creatures can assemble Contraptions, and they can assemble only Contraptions they know how to build. Creatures which can assemble Contraptions are typically Riggers, and they typically have one or two Contraptions they can build, indicated in the text box in a similar design to how levelers appear. For a creature to assemble a Contraption, its controller puts a token onto the battlefield that has the characteristics described in that Contraption's section of whatever text enables that creature to assemble that Contraption (typically the creature's own rules text, but Contraption-assembling abilities may also be conferred by Auras, Equipment, or copy effects), and for the creature which assembled the Contraption to become that Contraption's assembler.

Siege-shatter Architect 
Creature — Fox Rigger U

, : Siege-shatter Smith assembles a Contraption.

Siege-shatter Trebuchet
, Tap Siege-shatter Architect or two untapped Riggers you control: Destroy target creature that's attacking you or a planeswalker you control.

1/2[/sblock]
I have too many irons in the fire.
Some useful keyboard shortcuts on Windows
Long dash (em-dash) — Alt+0151 Short dash (en-dash) – Alt+0150 Capital æsc Æ Alt+0198 Lowercase æsc æ Alt+0230 Or you could just copy/paste them from this signature, I guess.
A long time ago on this board I saw an awesome interpretation and implementation of this mechanic.

SilentTwin's?
It's the only one I remember being good, even if I can't remember exactly why.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

To Assemble a contraption:
Show

The ability "~ assembles a contraption" means "put a contraption artifact token onto the battlefield." Such a token remembers what creature assembled it, so if Rigger A assembles a contraption, you put a token otb that is assembled by Rigger A.

The Card:
Show

Young Machinist
Creature - Human Rigger [R]
~ may use abilites as soon as it comes under your control.
, : ~ assembles a contraption with ", : This contraption deals 1 damage to target creature."
0/1

Why do I make pop culture cards? Not because they're original or anything. It's because they're fun to play with. EDH Decks: Riku of Two Reflections, Teysa, Orzhov Scion, Sliver Overlord, Chorus of the Conclave

Show
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

A long time ago on this board I saw an awesome interpretation and implementation of this mechanic.

SilentTwin's?

I believe they were artifacts like equipment that would gain abilites when a creature assembles them. I wish I remembered the correct wording.
To Assemble a contraption:
Show

The ability "~ assembles a contraption" means "put a contraption artifact token onto the battlefield." Such a token remembers what creature assembled it, so if Rigger A assembles a contraption, you put a token otb that is assembled by Rigger A.

I think I'll just run with this.

The Card:
Show

Urborg Salvager
Creature - Human Rigger
Sacrifice a non-contraption artifact: Urborg Salvager assembles a contraption with ":  Each player discards a card from his or her hand.  Use this ability only as a sorcery."
2/2

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

@AzureShade:

Why do I make pop culture cards? Not because they're original or anything. It's because they're fun to play with. EDH Decks: Riku of Two Reflections, Teysa, Orzhov Scion, Sliver Overlord, Chorus of the Conclave

Show
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Show

701.26. Assemble

701.26a To assemble a permanent with certain characteristics, put a permanent card from your graveyard onto the battlefield
face-down with an assembly counter on it. It has those characteristics as long as it has an assembly counter and it is face-down.

701.26b You can't assemble a permanent with no permanent cards in your graveyard.

701.26c If a face-down permanent with an assembly counter on it would turn face-up, remove all assembly counters from it.

Magus of Metallic Rebirth
Creature - Human Artificer

: Assemble a colorless Contraption artifact.
Face-down permanents you control have Morph .

[2/2]

I have found the secret of posting sigs! Kablooie's symbol Palette: 2U 
Aetherbuilt Rigger 
Creature - Vedalken Rigger
When Aetherbuilt Rigger enters the battlefield, put three 1/1 artifact creature tokens onto the battlefield. 
Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, you may have Aetherbuilt Rigger assemble a contraption.  (To assemble a contraption, turn an artifact you control face down.  It's a 2/2 colorless creature)
2/2
Keep rockin it, folks!

ProTip: Memory issues are no bueno.
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
Keep rockin it, folks!

ProTip: Memory issues are no bueno.

Of course, there are no cards as of yet that would make my interpretation Memory-issuive. (And I probably wouldn't, either. It was mostly just a "just in case" thing."

Show
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green

I guess I'll be boring and do what everyone else is doing.

Contraption is a subtype for artifacts that only appears on tokens. To assemble a contraption is simply shortened wording meaning "put a contraption artifact token into play." Some have abilities and some don't.

Armageddon Driver
Creature - Human Rigger
T: assemble a colorless contraption.
As long as you control 10 or more contraptions, each contraption you control has ", : Destroy target permanent."
1/2
Rules
Contraptions are 2/2 Artifact Creatures with the Contraption subtype.  Contraptions are assembled using any number of Components during assembly.

Components are Artifacts with the Component subtype.  Components are assembled into Contraptions by spells and abilities that have the text "assemble X Contraption(s)," where X can be any number.  Many Components have effects that occur when they are assembled into Contraptions; other Components change the characteristics or abilities of the Contraptions they are assembled into.  If any Component is assembled into multiple Contraptions at once, any abilities or effects caused by that Component being assembled into a Contraption apply to all Contraptions it is assembled into and/or or trigger for each Contraption assembled.

To assemble a Contraption means to sacrifice one or more Components you control and place a Contraption token into play.  Some spells and abilities assemble multiple Contraptions at once, in which case only one set of Components is sacrificed; any abilities or effects caused by a Component being assembled into a Contraption apply to all Contraptions or trigger for each Contraption assembled.  Additionally, spells and abilities have effects that occur when they are used to assemble a Contraption, or can change the characteristics or abilities of Contraptions assembled.  If such a spell or ability is used to assemble multiple Contraptions, abilities or effects apply to all Contraptions or trigger for each Contraption assembled by that effect.

Infrastructure: Contraption token cards (2/2 Artifact Creature - Contraption) are printed with empty text boxes, and distributed with the set in a way similar to Innistrad's Checklist Cards.

Oops, only one entry per round.  Ummm...
Entry

Standard Connector Kit
Artifact - Component
When ~ is assembled into a Contraption, that Contraption has "All Contraptions have 'bands with other Contraptions.'"
"Look, Alton, now they snap together!"
"Uh...sure, but what good is that?"

A Bunch of Cards, Don't Look

Machining Cog
Basic Artifact - Component
A deck can have any number of cards named Machining Cog.
The most complicated inventions begin with a single piece.

Flywheel
Artifact - Component
When ~ is assembled into a Contraption, that Contraption has flying.
When the Goblins mastered flight, everybody laughed.  When the Riggers mastered flight, everybody hid.

Dohickey
Artifact - Component
When ~ is assembled into a Contraption, draw a card.
No one really knew what it did, but countless ideas spawned in the minds of those who puzzled over it.

Standard Connector Kit
Artifact - Component
When ~ is assembled into a Contraption, that Contraption has "All Contraptions have 'bands with other Contraptions.'"
"Look, Alton, now they snap together!"
"Uh...sure, but what good is that?"

Goblin Rigger
Creature - Goblin Rigger
Haste
: Assemble a Contraption.  Contraptions assembled by ~ have haste and are sacrificed at the beginning of the end step.
1/1

Merfolk Rigger
Creature - Merfolk Rigger
, : Assemble a Contraption.  Whenever ~ assembles a Contraption, draw a card and discard a card.
1/1

Rigger Savant
Creature - Human Rigger
: Assemble a Contraption.  ~ does not untap during your next untap step.
Components sacrificed when ~ assembles a Contraption remain on the battlefield instead of being placed in their owner's graveyard.
2/2

Master Plan
Sorcery
Gain control of all Components.  Then, assemble three Contraptions using all Components you control.
"I love it when a plan comes together!"

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
I guess I'll be boring and do what everyone else is doing.

Contraption is a subtype for artifacts that only appears on tokens. To assemble a contraption is simply shortened wording meaning "put a contraption artifact token into play." Some have abilities and some don't.

I'll just follow chaoslight

Rune of Chaos
Artifact
Whenever a rigger enters the battlefield under your control, role a dice. If you roled a 2 or 3, put a red contraption token into play assembled to that rigger.
Whenever a rigger you control assembles a contraption, role a dice. If you roled a 4, destroy target land at random.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control five or more contraptions, ~ deals 5 damage to a creature or player at random.

~ You Take to the Sky ~

57325798 wrote:
STOP SOPA/PIPA. Okay, a little post about this in my sig which half of the people on here won't even see isn't likely to do a lot, but if you aren't aware of what's going on, educate yourself. And then join in the chorus of voices shouting at the U.S. Congress to stop these bills. Visit Wikipedia to learn more and to contact your Senators and Representatives. -- According to lawyers… (SOPA) doesn’t shut down your website and remove it from the Internet. It just makes it so that people cannot, in any way, access the website. So it’s sort of like coming up with a plan to prevent teen pregnancy that includes filling penises with cement. — Jon Stewart

SilentTwin's?

I don't remember who designed it, but it worked like this:
Show
Assemble was a keyword, and assembled/unassembled was a status. A permanent with assemble would be assembled by tapping an untapped creature you control. Such Contraptions would  have additional effects as long as they're assembled. Under one variation, permanents became unassembled during their controller's untap step; under another, Contraptions would carry their own clauses for becoming unassembled (or wouldn't have any).
Long dash (em-dash) — Alt+0151 Short dash (en-dash) – Alt+0150 Capital æsc Æ Alt+0198 Lowercase æsc æ Alt+0230 Or you could just copy/paste them from this signature, I guess.
Wow...a lot of people went the token route with "assemble", which is exactly how I've always read the mechanic (because indeed, "Blah assembles a Contraption" sets the mechanic as a keyword action, much like proliferate, regenerate, and several others, and making tokens is the most intelligent use of a keyword action I can think of). So obviously I'm going with a similar approach...

Assemble
To "assemble a Contraption with {ability}" is to put an artifact Contraption token with the stated ability(ies) onto the battlefield under the control of whoever controls the creature from which the ability is activated and when it resolves. So, for example, if Player A controls Rigger A and activates the ability to assemble a Contraption, then Player B gains control of Rigger A, the Contraption enters the battlefield under Player B's control.

Possible backfire of using "assemble" in this way would be to retroactively change all cards that make artifact creature tokens to say they assemble those tokens.

Gear Master
Creature-Human Rigger
, : ~ assembles a Contraption with "Creatures you control get +1/+0 and have haste."

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

I've been thinking about this and discovered that there are only two riggers in all of mtg. Only one involves contraptions, leading one to believe the design might have been scratched by WotC, which of course leaves us loads of design space

my take

the first thing we need is to define contraptions, what are they? what will they do? what are they good for?
This is my solution; contraptions are blah, yes... blah. they have no abilities, and can't block, rather they soak up abilities your riggers give them. Other than that, they are colorless artifacts with no abilities, to "assemble" means to put into play.
Lets say, for example, rigger A assembles a contraption, but has no ability to boost contraptions, but rigger B has an ability stating "contraptions you control have ': deal 1 damage to target creature or player'" then A's contraption gains this ability, likewise if both A and B had abilities for the contraption, the contraption gains both, regardless of who assembled it.
However, then we need sort of archetypes of riggers, we have riggers which assemble, and those which grant abilities, and some that do both. Note, that contraptions can be transformed into creatures by riggers as well.

Lets put it all together!

Livesteel Rigger
creature- rigger

, : assemble a contraption
Contraptions you control are 1/1 colorless artifact creatures in adition to their other types and abilities
He has a way of making steel roar to life
2/3
Woot! Go RED! I love red! Red is awesome! Did I mention I love red?
those personality things
Suprisingly enough, in that test, I'm not red I am White/Black
I am White/Black

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Boss smileys: Come check out the Expanded Multiverse Project for great stories and a great community
quotes
56778328 wrote:
Why did you post it here? "Hey, all you guys who play this game! I'm not gonna play it!" "Umm... Ok, dude."
I've been thinking about this and discovered that there are only two riggers in all of mtg. Only one involves contraptions, leading one to believe the design might have been scratched by WotC, which of course leaves us loads of design space

It wasn't so much scratched as it was them actively trolling their player-base.  They have owned up to that already and apologized.  They have no plans now, or ever, to use contraptions.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

oh, lol. But imagine actually pulling this from a pack. like....really?
those personality things
I am White/Black

Boss smileys: Come check out the Expanded Multiverse Project for great stories and a great community
quotes
56778328 wrote:
Why did you post it here? "Hey, all you guys who play this game! I'm not gonna play it!" "Umm... Ok, dude."
Riggers and contraptions may be featured in a block that revolves around "spare parts" of Magic. And the best source of spare parts in Magic is the sideboard

Salvaged Propeller

Artifact - Contraption
Assembled by Humans with a blue enchantment and an artifact  (Tap an untapped Human you control and reveal a blue enchantment card and an artifact card from your sideboard: assemble this card to all other assembled cards you control)
As long as § is assembled to two or more Contraptions, creatures you control get +0/+2 and have flying
Ornithopter... who could invent a machine with such a ridiculous name? - Egekiah, Neo-Thran salvager

In any way you word it, any original alternative to "Put a Contraption token into play" would require quite a wall of text, but at least it doesn't require wonky rules editing

EDIT - Wording fixed, effect balanced
So here are the components of Steamflogger Boss:

1) Riggers
2) Assemble
3) Contraptions

Most notedly, Riggers are a subtype of Goblin.  The Boss makes his riggers work harder and faster.  I would assume that Assembling a Contraption would typically require a tap, I'm told this by the small fact that the Boss grants haste.

: Assembles a Contraption

The next question is what is a contraption.  The mere fact that they assemble contraptions and such a potential fast rate means that the Contraptions can be nothing more than fodder.  Plain, nearly useless items.

Contraption
Artifact-Contraption

So I'm declaring contraptions artifact tokens with no other abilities other than their existance and subtype Contraption.

Vedalken Wingwright
Creature-Vedalken Rigger
: Assemble a Contraption (To assemble a contraption put a colorless artifact Contraption token onto the battlefield).
Sacrifice four Contraptions: Search your library for an artifact creature with flying, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
Given enough time, the mechanical genius of the Wingwrights is unparalleled, only limited by their overseer's creativity.
2/3
ATTENTION WIZARDS OF THE COAST: You have full rights to use any of my intellectual property found on these boards (I'm not going to use it and it'd be a shame to waste it). -Dr. Stinkyjoeterry, Ph.D.
Assembling a Contraption:
Keyword: Assemble X
To Assemble a Contraption exile X number of non-creature artifacts you control. Put a colorless contraption artifact token into play that has "The power and toughness of this contraption is equal to the total converted mana cost of those artifacts exiled to assemble this contraption" and "When this contraption leaves the battlefield return all exiled non-creature artifacts to the battlefield under your control"

Apprentice Rigger

Creature- Human Rigger

: Assemble 1

1/1

Round 1 is closed! I'll be posting grades for it as I finish them. This one was pretty hard! But since I know you guys loooove a challenge:

Round 2:  Boy Bands

There are quite a number of people that do not remember Banding. And they'd be right to do so. This mechanic works differently on attack as well as defense, has no reminder text that could fit it (though current Oracle wordings do as good a job as they could), and to top it all off, was too powerful! That must be why they made a weaker version called Bands with other

Problem is, it's flavorful! We want groups of guys attacking in tight-knit groups. We want to see a group of dudes huddle together and be able to take down a mighty beast through cooperation and goodguy-ness. We want to see it! Can you make it happen?

Round 2: Create a creature card that 'bands together'

Interpretation is intentionally loose, since I'm not sure how much of banding can be saved, however the concepts closest to the thrust of Banding will get the most points. Good luck!

Round 1 grades:

Everyone did a great job this round. I saw a bunch of similar ideas, but the ones that stood out were truly unique. Without further ado, here are the grades:

Winner: stinkyjoeterry

[spoiler 4227]
Creativity: 5
Execution: 3
Lots of folks went with artifact tokens, but this entry has a contraption subtype, which is neat. That's pretty cool, however giving the token the ability means major memory issues so points lost there. I do like how simple and elegant the card would look, and how it would cite what the token does on the actual card, but when it dies, then what? Also, your contraption does not require Siege-shatter to be untapped, so you can just keep tapping a tapped Siege-shatter again and again for each contraption.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler pyrotempestwing]
Similar to 4227's, we have a contraption subtype. We have a guy with 'ability haste', the same thing granted by Thousand-year elixir, which is cool. The contraption itself is pretty powerful, and looks to be fun in multiples. I like the contraption metered by mana, but again memory issues are not good.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler AzureShade]
Creativity: 4
Execution: 5
Can't give too many creativity points for using another person's contraption idea, but so many were similar that I gave some slack. What's interesting is that AzureShade also has contraption tokens by sacrificing non-contraptions, touching on the physical act of creating something from other parts. Thought that was neat.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler Kablooie]
Creativity: 9
Execution: 6
This is a refreshing take! Contraptions are now limited by permanent cards in the 'yard, so you can't have unbounded contraptions. You definitely get the flavor of reusability and that contraptions are put together from spare parts. There's also a special counter on them that differentiates them from morph in a way, yet the card itself embraces morph. The contraptions themselves don't do anything with this card, but perhaps they'd get other abilities from other cards in this hypothetical set. Using a counter as what makes this a contraption, though, is hard. What happens if I Fate Transfer the counter onto something else? Bunch of rules issues kept the execution from high marks.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler Cold_Articuno]
Creativity: 8
Execution: 5
This card is a saucy bit: powerful, cool, and quite interesting in that it feeds itself. Contraptions are like artifact morphs, which is a fine direction. One should be careful, however: this is 8-power for by itself. I have a problem with turning tokens face-down. I'm not the only one...Ixidron and the rules don't want tokens face-down. The card is executed gracefully, but there's a big hole there.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler ChaosLight]
Creativity: 7
Execution: 6
What's interesting here is that Chaos touched on something that could be cool: the riggers are the ones that give the contraptions abilities. However, he stated that some have their own abilities, probably grouping it with the rest of the memory issues. I don't like that your contraptions aren't used up. Especially considering they're unbounded (like token makers, you can just make infi tokens) they should be used up.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler FirstTurnKill]
Creativity: 9
Bands with other Contraptions? Can FTK just enter this in the next round? I think it's pretty creative to assemble contraptions from components, especially ones that are in the "don't look" section, however this would be the only component set so far in magic, making contraptions parasitic. A very creative entry with execution issues.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler iqiq]
Execution: 2
Not only is doing what others do never going to help you be super-creative, rolling dice helps even less. It's about assembling contraptions, and that being cool, not about dice.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler Edacade]
Creativity: 6
Execution: 4
Yep, a lot of folks did go this way. The most successful, I think, didn't have unbounded contraptions (though I'm not ignoring the promise of "one million contraptions" being something people may want to do). The card is very elegant, but I think fails with the 'haste'. If you have a number of contraptions, why would you want them to have redundant abilities? Also, memory issues, bla bla.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler Monoredburn]
Creativity: 7
Execution: 8
Now we're cooking with crisco! Folks want contraptions to be tokens, which is fine and dandy. I think tokens granted abilities by riggers is the right way to go. MRB's card even works well with Steamflogger Boss and it's haste-granting ability. The execution is almost right: but giving blue the ability to 'awaken' contraptions isn't quite right for its color pie (March of the Machines notwithstanding), and having riggers that don't assemble contraptions and/or don't give them abilities may make for bad cards.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler Degauss]
I love the creativity of looking in other zones for what to assemble. However, how can one assemble a spare salvaged propeller via Steamflogger boss? Also, you'll always have the cards in your sideboard that are in your sideboard, so there being certain ones there isn't quite that enticing.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler stinkyjoeterry]
Execution: 8
Nicely done. The breakdown is quite on-point. One should have their riggers benefit from haste. I like how, in this version, unbound contraptions is an actual benefit: it's a way to count time. You can hurry up and assemble faster than normal (thanks to the boss) and then your 4-drop Wingwright can just out-of-the-blue build you a flying machine, but can't do it forever, since you'll run out of contraptions. There are some balance issues here (tutoring for Emrakul, the aeons torn with this is bonkers) as well as wanting the 'major assemble' to also tap, but hey. Overall great job.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler Dragondance]
Creativity: 4
Bit late, but I'll let it in. I have issues with the fact that the rules for this are long, and no reminder text is given on the card. You won't know how well your card tells your idea without it. I think you're answering a few of the issues with contraptions: namely assembling multiples & bounded/unbounded assembly. However, I think you haven't quite reached the right answers yet.
[/spoiler]

This pleasantly suprised me, as I usually put up very bad performances in your contest, anyway...onto round 2....

what I'm thinking so far

Banding makes a lot of flavorful sense, however, the execution was off-putting, but if we make the wording better, banding becomes great! So that leads us to this conundrum, how do we make banding make more sense?

The old banding had a sort of kerfluffle of words, but how about this:

Creatures with banding, and up to one without may attack or block as a group, you choose how creatures blocking and/or being blocked by a band divide their combat damage)
crisper, but how about "bands with other...." for that we could do with a simple:

This creature may form a band with other ______, bands may attack or block as a group. You choose how combat damage is dealt to these groups.)

There we go! Thats true to the original banding, but less intimidating! Let's see it in action!

Cathar of Thraben 
Creature- Human Soldier

Bands with other humans (This creature may form a band with other humans, bands may attack or block as a group. You choose how combat damage is dealt to these groups. )

Vigilance
2/3
"We stand together against this menace, regardless of past hatred"
those personality things
I am White/Black

quotes
56778328 wrote:
Round 1 is closed! I'll be posting grades for it as I finish them. This one was pretty hard! But since I know you guys loooove a challenge:

Round 2:  Boy Bands

There are quite a number of people that do not remember Banding. And they'd be right to do so. This mechanic works differently on attack as well as defense, has no reminder text that could fit it (though current Oracle wordings do as good a job as they could), and to top it all off, was too powerful! That must be why they made a weaker version called Bands with other

Problem is, it's flavorful! We want groups of guys attacking in tight-knit groups. We want to see a group of dudes huddle together and be able to take down a mighty beast through cooperation and goodguy-ness. We want to see it! Can you make it happen?

Interpretation is intentionally loose, since I'm not sure how much of banding can be saved, however the concepts closest to the thrust of Banding will get the most points. Good luck!

Collective Effort
Enchantment U

As long as you control two or more creatures in combat, you choose how combat damage is assigned.

“We’re all for one and one for all / We’ll help each other stand tall.”
— renowned team ice skating champion Bing Crosby1

Also, your contraption does not require Siege-shatter to be untapped, so you can just keep tapping a tapped Siege-shatter again and again for each contraption.

No, that's not how costs work. Tapping a permanent that's already tapped is an impossible action, just as discarding a card when you have no cards in hand is impossible or paying life when you're life total can't change is impossible. Perhaps I should have included reminder text that you can (Activate this ability only if Siege-shatter Architect is untapped), except that would only be true of the earlier cost option. 

1 Please note that this real-world quote is actually from the song "Teamwork" by Lazy Town. Please also note that Bing Crosby was not, as far as I know, a renowned team ice skating champion. 

Request to remove the "creature card" restriction.

(Also, thank you for the earlier round, as well We are definitely in agreement about my execution of assemble and Contraptions...it is now an idea that I can work on the polish of at some later date)

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Here's how much I hate banding and "bands with (other) blah": I'm not partaking in this round.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

This pleasantly suprised me, as I usually put up very bad performances in your contest

Just that one other time. Don't forget: the best people aren't the ones that do well, but the ones that get better.

No, that's not how costs work. Tapping a permanent that's already tapped is an impossible action, just as discarding a card when you have no cards in hand is impossible or paying life when you're life total can't change is impossible. Perhaps I should have included reminder text that you can (Activate this ability only if Siege-shatter Architect is untapped), except that would only be true of the earlier cost option.

You're right, of course. I think I misread it due to the second clause of 'two untapped riggers', which is correct wording. Look at cards which require additional costs to be paid, they always stipulate that the creatures have to be untapped even though you can't pay a 'tap' cost with a 'tapped' creature (e.g. Gaze of Justice). They don't, however, require a particular creature, in this case the creature that made the trebuchet, to tap. That's pretty new ground; one I'm not necessarily inclined to tread. Still, it can work, you'll just need some Comp Rule stipulations to make the card work as written.

Request denied. Still, you can post a non-contest non-creature version if you like.

(Also, thank you for the earlier round, as well We are definitely in agreement about my execution of assemble and Contraptions...it is now an idea that I can work on the polish of at some later date)

That's, hopefully, the idea of this. Mining the past to create the future! Or at the very least, Time Spiral 2.

Here's how much I hate banding and "bands with (other) blah": I'm not partaking in this round.

That's unfortunate, and not the right way to look at things. The idea is to fix it, so turn it into something you love. So man up and make US love YOUR version.

Request denied. Still, you can post a non-contest non-creature version if you like.

OK, just making sure

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This

Singing Soul 
Creature - Spirit
When § attacks or blocks, it becomes a +1/+1 counter until end of turn. If it does, put it on target creature
In the afterlife, we all become music, and together we play the harmony of the divine
1/1

Ruling:

Bands with others (During your attack step or during your declare blockers step you may tap this creature to give all creatures you control with bands with others +X/+X and any abilities this creature has until end of turn where X is equal to the power of this creature)

Card:

Skyborne Dragon
Creature- Dragon
Bands with Others(During your attack step or during your declare blockers step you may tap this creature to give all creatures you control with bands with others +X/+X and any abilities this creature has until end of turn where X is equal to the power of this creature)

Flying

2/3

Swarm of Snakes 
Creature - Snake
Bands with other snakes.
On your turn, if three or more snakes are banded with Swarm of Snakes, the entire band gains Trample until end of turn.
On an opponent's turn, if three or more snakes are banded with Swarm of Snakes, the entire band gains Wither until end of turn.
2/2

(Yes, unless there are more snakes with banding or "bands with other" abilities, you'll need at least two copies of this card in play to trigger its powers since Banding is "creatures with banding plus one without.")

Thief'd from stinkyjoe:

Original Bands with other Oracle Text:

"bands with other legendary creatures." (Any legendary creatures can attack in a band as long as at least one has "bands with other legendary creatures." Bands are blocked as a group. If at least two legendary creatures you control, one of which has "bands with other legendary creatures," are blocking or being blocked by the same creature, you divide that creature's combat damage, not its controller, among any of the creatures it's being blocked by or is blocking.)

So yeah, now my snake works just like I wanted him to.

Nicely done. The breakdown is quite on-point. One should have their riggers benefit from haste. I like how, in this version, unbound contraptions is an actual benefit: it's a way to count time. You can hurry up and assemble faster than normal (thanks to the boss ) and then your 4-drop Wingwright can just out-of-the-blue build you a flying machine, but can't do it forever, since you'll run out of contraptions. There are some balance issues here (tutoring for Emrakul, the aeons torn with this is bonkers) as well as wanting the 'major assemble' to also tap, but hey. Overall great job.

While I agree that the tutor probably needed a CMC cap but I just wanted to point out that it only tutors Artifact creatures and could not tutor Emrakul, but the various Esper Sphinxes or Triskets probably would be broken too.  So in hindsight, I'd make the ability:

Sacrifice four Contraptions: Search your library for an artifact creature with flying and a converted mana cost of 4 or less, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
ATTENTION WIZARDS OF THE COAST: You have full rights to use any of my intellectual property found on these boards (I'm not going to use it and it'd be a shame to waste it). -Dr. Stinkyjoeterry, Ph.D.
Not that it's any of my business, but I don't think the power level is too big a worry, especially when compared with cards like Kuldotha Forgemaster tutoring Blightsteel Colossus. Even with a Steamflogger Boss in play, your card still has to survive a turn to go off, same as Forgemaster.
Well since talking it through seemed to help last round, I'll do it again:

Orignal Banding Oracle Text:
Banding (Any creatures with banding, and up to one without, can attack in a band. Bands are blocked as a group. If any creatures with banding you control are blocking or being blocked by a creature, you divide that creature's combat damage, not its controller, among any of the creatures it's being blocked by or is blocking.)

Original Bands with other Oracle Text:
"bands with other legendary creatures." (Any legendary creatures can attack in a band as long as at least one has "bands with other legendary creatures." Bands are blocked as a group. If at least two legendary creatures you control, one of which has "bands with other legendary creatures," are blocking or being blocked by the same creature, you divide that creature's combat damage, not its controller, among any of the creatures it's being blocked by or is blocking.)

Really, banding does the following:
1) Combine statistics
2) Gives you control of damage assignment

The main issue I remember with banding (besides its complexity) is a memory issue.  It was always hard to tell who was banded and remember that a creature with banding blocking could royally eff up your attack plans and since most creatures with banding are very weak it is often forgotten.  I also don't like that it limits itself to the combat phase, which seems against the flavor of a Banded group.

Banding needs to work as an attachment.

Band with [type/sub-type] (Any time you could play a sorcery you may attach this to target [type/subtype] you control or unattach it. Whenever a Banded creature would be assigned damage, it's controller assigns it instead.)

The banding and band w/others distinction is redundant in this case.  If you want it to be broad you can say Bands with Creatures, or Bands with Green Creatures or Bands with Elves.  Also I carried over combat damage to just damage in general, making them a bit more resitant to lightning.  Notice the ommission though?  I left the combine statistics out of this?  That's because some people work better than others in a team, examples:

Team Player Joe
Creature-Human Soldier
Bands with other Soldiers
Creatures banded with Team Player Joe get +2/+2.
1/1

or

Reluctant Militant
Creature-Human Warrior
Bands with other Warriors
Creatures banded with Reluctant Militant get +1/-1.
1/1

This also leaves the design of the mechanic very open to fun stuff like

Spearlord
Creature-Human Barbarian
First Strike, Bands with other red creatures
Creatures banded with Spealord get +2/+0 and gain first strike
2/1

Ok, enough of the mechanic mumbo jumbo, time for the showcase:

Army of Khartean
Creature-Human Warrior
Protection from White, Bands with other creatures.
Creatures banded with Army of Khartean get +2/+2 and gain protection from white.
: Put a copy of Army of Khartean onto the battlefield. Play this ability only if Army of Khartean is unattached.
2/3
Not that it's any of my business, but I don't think the power level is too big a worry, especially when compared with cards like Kuldotha Forgemaster tutoring Blightsteel Colossus. Even with a Steamflogger Boss in play, your card still has to survive a turn to go off, same as Forgemaster.

Not really, since you can have other contraptions on the battlefield by the time that guy comes down.

Stinkyjoeterry is right that his card said artifact creature, so maybe it is fine. Either way his score reflects a decent base hit when it comes to contraptions.

Also, we don't quite have the 8-man quora yet so contest stays open till we do.  
was busy these few days. hoping to join this but wasn't inspired when i saw the thread. guess it's too late now.

Unless it's possible to make up for round one : D

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Sorry I'm late (work, gah!).  Very thankful for the 8-person quota right now.

Alright, round 2.  When I saw this, my first thought was literally: 'Banding?!  There doesn't exist an emoticon ecstatic enough to express my excitement that Banding is round 2, (as is easily evident from my entry to the earlier examination).'

And while the suggestion of simply re-using my previous entry is tempting...I've given enough thought to Banding over the nearly 2 decades to have something else for this.

First, it seems you and I had a slightly different interpretation of what it meant to form a "Band."  I was fairly young at the time, but well-indoctrinated on the myriad classical fantasy stories that existed.  I never really viewed a Band as a fleeting thing that simply allowed a group of creatures to gang up on something else (like an ambush, or a hunting party) -- even though that really was mechanically how Banding was initially presented on the cards.  Instead, I saw Bands as trying to be a mechanic to recreate the heroic groups of ancient lore that traversed the land to fulfill some great quest.  This ideal of Banding was really solidified thanks to the Legends set and even the Bandlands.  I often viewed my creatures as the storybook protagonists, rather than myself as the player -- I was the narrator, or at best, the Wizard in the background.

Magic did eventually move in that direction, but it abandoned Banding or any other mechanic that made it seem like that could happen on the "in play" area.  The story functioned in the background, rather than the fore.  I've spent a lot of time thinking about how to make that happen.  And even since then, Magic has moved from "in play" (like a stage) to "battlefield."

So, I have two competing visions here: One in which Banding represents a solely tactical mechanical maneuver (the original Alpha), and another in which Banding represents an aspect of a broader story involving those in a Band (Legends).  There is a very similar conflict to how play is carried out -- is it a tactical Wizard's Duel, or is there a larger, more strategic, story occurring each game?

The question is, can a mechanic practically achieve both?  It's a tall order.  I think you can tell that I'm not looking to just implement the current Banding ability, as is -- I'm taking up the "loose interpretation" and presenting a complete redesign, as I honestly believe it's the only way to fix Banding.  My entry is the Keyword Ability: "Fellowship."

Goals and Requirements
If I were to reduce the two competing visions into their most purified form, I have these two following statements as my goals:

1. The mechanic must allow tactical combat decision-making by the controller of the creatures.
2. The mechanic must result in a lasting group of creatures with a purpose.

Rules
702.X. Fellowship

702.Xa Fellowship is a static ability that modifies the rules for combat.

702.Xb Forming a fellowship is a special action.  Whenever you could cast a sorcery, you may form a fellowship.  This is a special action that does not use the stack.  After forming a fellowship, you retain priority.

702.Xc Breaking a fellowship is a special action that does not use the stack.  As a creature with Fellowship that has creatures attached to it leaves play, that fellowship is broken and all other creatures are removed from it (they stay on the battlefield).  Whenever you could cast a sorcery, you may break a fellowship by removing all creatures from it (they stay on the battlefield).  If you had priority before the fellowship was broken, you retain priority.

702.Xd A creature with "Fellowship N" means, whenever you could cast a sorcery and this isn't in a fellowship, you may attach up to N other creatures that aren't already in a fellowship to this creature; creatures attached to this creature can't attack or block (they can still activate abilities).  This creature and all creatures attached to it are "in a fellowship."

702.Xe When a creature with Fellowship assigns combat damage, untapped creatures attached to it assign combat damage as if those creatures attacked (and were or weren't blocked) or blocked as a group.  When combat damage is assigned to this creature, you announce a combat damage assignment order among it and all untapped creatures attached to it (the controller of the source dealing combat damage still determines actual combat damage assignments to each creature in that order).

Entry
Weatherlight, Skyship
Legendary Artifact Creature - Construct
Flying
Fellowship 13 (Whenever you could cast a sorcery, you may attach up to 13 other creatures to ~.  Creatures attached to this cannot attack or block, but may still activate abilities.  When this assigns combat damage, untapped creatures attached to it assign combat damage.  When this is assigned combat damage, you announce a combat damage assignment order among this and untapped creatures attached to it).
~ may only be in a fellowship with other Legendary creatures.
4/4
Another card, not an entry
The One Ring
Legendary Artifact - Equipment
Players that don't own ~ can't control it.
At the beginning of your upkeep, place a doom counter on ~, then if 7 or more doom counters are on it, you lose the game.
~ may only be equipped to a creature with converted mana cost 1 or less.
Equipped creature has Fellowship 8.
Equip
One ring to find them all, and in the darkness bind them.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
Tactical Master
Creature - Human Advisor

: The next 1 damage that would be dealt to target creature is dealt to another target creature you control instead.
: The next 1 damage that target creature you control would deal this turn is dealt to target blocking creature instead.

[1/4]
I have found the secret of posting sigs! Kablooie's symbol Palette: 2U 
Aaaand that's eight! Extended a bit to get a quora and make sure you guys have a fun competition. I'll be judging these very shortly, but for now, how about a new round?

Round 3: Storybook Legends

When the legendary supertype was created, it was a thing of beauty. Look at all these huge, beefy creatures that are just awesome! I mean, I know some of these are worse than craw wurms, but look at the shiny gold borders! And they've got such flavor! Who is Lady Orca anyway? How can I find out more?

Now I love me some Legends legends, but Mark Rosewater has come on the record to say that the legendary supertype is a straight-up drawback. It's a type they don't want to put on creatures too often unless it makes sense somehow, because it upsets a 'portion of the player base'. But why, Mark? Why are you ruining our fun? Did Lin Sivvi scar you that much that you don't like legends anymore? With all this talk about how we love resonant, top-down flavor, not to mention the Axelrod Gunnarson-sized buckets of money it's making you (just how much? Magic was recently named largest game brand (non-video game) in the world), why are you playa hatin?

I'm not sure what I'd do without my legendary creatures in a fantasy game. But I'm hoping YOU GUYS have some ideas. This one is pretty open ended: I want to see what kind of flavorful, resonant mechanics you can create which are just a straight up drawback. I want you guys to design something that sucks, yet makes us want to play with it anyway!

Round 3: Design a card with a flavorful drawback.

This can't be a maybe-bonus. This can't be a trade something cool for something painful, like Juzam gave us a big body for a drawback of one life. I'm talking about making a drawback that will make us want to play with this card so bad, that we won't notice the ability/mechanic just hamstringing the card. Make a card that inspires us to play it despite the drawback. Like Sir Shandlar of Eberyn. Remember Sir Shandlar! Remember and stand firm!

Again, 24-hour or 8-contestant rule is in effect. Grades for round 2 coming soon. Good luck!

P.S.: Theatog, this one's for you. (grade your contest!)