You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry: The Hulk as a Barbarian|Druid Sovereign Beast

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

I've been bouncing around the idea of the Hulk as a barbarian mixed with Sovereign Beast. The flavor fits perfectly - suddenly increasing size to Large, pushing everything around you, intimidating them into granting CA and taking a penalty to attack. Surprisingly enough, a lot of the features line up neatly.

Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Bruce, level 30
Longtooth Shifter, Barbarian/Druid, Formless Predator, Sovereign Beast
Hybrid Druid Option: Hybrid Druid Will
Hybrid Talent Option: Feral Might
Feral Might Option: Rageblood Vigor
Spellscarred
Theme: Iron Wolf

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 28, CON 22, DEX 13, INT 12, WIS 12, CHA 12

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 14, DEX 11, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 10

AC: 39 Fort: 41 Ref: 36 Will: 39
HP: 180 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 45

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +21, Athletics +31, Endurance +28

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +16, Bluff +16, Diplomacy +16, Dungeoneering +16, Heal +16, History +16, Insight +16, Intimidate +16, Nature +24, Perception +18, Religion +16, Stealth +16, Streetwise +16, Thievery +16

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Longtooth Shifter Racial Power: Longtooth Shifting
Druid Feature: Wild Shape
Barbarian Feature: Swift Charge
Barbarian Attack 1: Howling Strike
Iron Wolf Attack 1: Iron Wolf Charge
Druid Attack 1: Grasping Claws
Barbarian Utility 2: Shrug It Off
Endurance Utility 6: Internal Reserves
Barbarian Attack 7: Curtain of Steel
Barbarian Attack 9: Serpent Fang Rage
Druid Utility 10: Clear the Chaff
Formless Predator Attack 11: Undulating Pseudopod
Formless Predator Utility 12: Amorphous Return
Barbarian Utility 16: Battle Lust
Formless Predator Attack 20: Touch of Dissolution
Barbarian Utility 22: Limitless Advance
Barbarian Attack 23: Staggering Strike
Druid Attack 25: Primal Tiger
Sovereign Beast Utility 26: Resplendent Beast
Barbarian Attack 27: Hurricane of Blades
Barbarian Attack 29: Crimson Phoenix Rage

FEATS
Epic Reflexes
Unfettered Stride
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Gouge)
Level 4: Hybrid Talent
Level 10: Spear Expertise
Level 11: Two-Handed Weapon Expertise
Level 12: Plagued Regeneration
Level 14: Enraged Boar Form
Level 18: Brutal Reach
Level 20: Deadly Rage
Level 21: Second Skin
Level 21: Indomitable Will
Level 22: Quick Wild Shape
Level 24: Enduring Rage
Level 24: Epic Will
Level 26: Rapid Regeneration
Level 28: Axe Mastery
Level 30: Reckless Charge

ITEMS
Rageblood Roc Hide Armor +6 x1
Badge of the Berserker +6 x1
Boots of Adept Charging x1
Claw Gloves x1
Horned Helm (epic tier) x1
Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier) x1
Alfsair Spear Gouge +6 x1
Belt of Sonnlinor's Righteousness (epic tier) x1
====== End ======

The current build summary doesn't include the powers I will probably be taking from Iron Wolf Theme. No background chosen yet either.

Bruce attacks with Howling Strike in beast form thanks to Formless Predator, charging 12 while raging and longtooth shifted with CA (from resplendent beast) with +40 to attack and 10d6+1d10+34 (brutal 1 with crit on 19-20) damage for 75.4 average DPR. Not stellar, but it's a theme build, not a DPR king. This will be padded by the automatic 15 damage while bloodied from Plagued Regeneration, putting him around 4.8RPK.

Defenses are low (how often do you see the Hulk dodge?) but this is offset by high regeneration 15, resist 5 all damage, and various THP/regain HP powers and rages. He can also fight sub-zero while raging at resist 30, and every time he kills an enemy he gains 15 THP and can either spend a healing surge or regain an encounter power.

It's a neat thematic build and I think it'd be tremendous fun to play. Even just using Limitless Advance to leap around the battlefield sounds like a blast - I'm going to have to find a group to play level 30 just so I can get a chance to let Bruce show his stuff.

What do you think?

So I take it you're not planning on using any of your Druid attacks?

Also, I'd be less worried about the damage you'd be taking, and more about status effects: you're defences are low, (as you noted) which seems like you'll end up restrained/dazed/stunned/whatevered a LOT of the time.

Just some initial thoughts...

VB

Edit: I really really like how you executed the concept though!
I guess nobody else was as enthusiastic about this build as I was. Glad you liked the concept, I had a blast, but I think this was just too low OP and not particularly useful or unique enough.

I suppose this could be rebuilt as a half-elf Wis-primary druid MC barbarian with dreadnought PP, adept dilettante and wild dilettante, and a few power-swaps for rages. Or as a wis-con druid/warlock spamming eldritch strike. Or just a straight-up druid. It needs some work, I suppose.
It's a good character built well into a concept.

So... not much to comment on.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Fair enough. Thanks for saying so.

And erachima, I'll see what I can do about not being so wasteful. It's a shame wild shape has such strict limitations.
Out of curiosity, what does being a hybrid druid grant you that isn't covered by the MC feat "Iniate of the Old Faith"?  As far as I can tell, you just need wild shape and counting as a druid for your paragon path and epic destiny, which is covered by that feat.  Just replace Hybrid Talent with the MC feat, swap back in some more barbarian powers, and you should be good to go.
Interested in a rambling collection of game ideas? Check out Schemes of the Dancing Chimera.
Good point. I did that for my grappling tentacle monster, actually. Not sure why I thought it would be a good idea to go hybrid.
The Incredible Hulk movie from 2008, has
a scene where Hulk charges the army,
bellows, and knocks a bunch down.  They
use bowling pins being struck as the knock
down sound effect, and a bellowing Steer
for the charge part.  So why not ...

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.

Sign In to post comments