Do you believe in lucky Rituals for boosters?

68 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a pair of scissors that i have deemed "lucky". here is the track record for hw lucky they are. christmas day, pulled a Primeval Titan and a Sun Titan from a fatpack, 2 days later i buypacks, and pull a sword of war and peace and a foil Elish Norn, Grand Cenobyte after i woke up at 4 that morning and made a premonition for the sword. Just last saturday i played in a booster draft after someone else payed for my pack and he would get the cards. I sit there staring at my packs with conviction focusing of the mental image of a sorin as everyone was chattering about who will pull it in the draft. the first card i pull i almost shi* my pants as it was Sorin, lord of Innistrad, I put it face down on the table and try to keep it cool and contain my self, I cracked when this extensivly more experianced player sead with conviction that no one pulled a sorin. the friend who payed for the packs was estatic. later that night after prizes where handed out i offered to open someones packs for them with my "Lucky scissors". he is vary scepticle and rolles his eyes as he passes me the packs. I trim off the top and hand him the pack. he pulls out a Havengul Lich and he almost shoves the second pack to me. I crack that one and hand it to him. He pulls Helvault and he almost has a fit, until he realizes that there are 2 Mythics in this pack! he also pulled Huntsmaster of the Fells with a checklist card and both him, me and half the people present exploded with excitment, needless to say there are few people now who doubt the "lucky JuJu Scissors"

In summery does anyone else have any lucky charms or rituals for opening packs?
Show
Your scissors are not "lucky" and your superstitious rituals don't actually affect the contents of the boosters.
Show
Your scissors are not "lucky" and your superstitious rituals don't actually affect the contents of the boosters.



There is no scientific evidence to prove that. Then again, there's no proving that rituals improve pack pulling. 

For most sets, i will only purchase certain packs. For example in M12, All the boosters i bought were the Garruk packs. In a Fatpack's worth (9 boosters), I pulled 3 Chandra, 1 Garruk and 1 Sorin. Chandra just so happened to be the only reason i was purchasing packs, At the time she was a $30 card, but i'm not complaining about the other 2.

For Mirrodin Besieged, I bought 7 Phyrexian Crusader packs. I pulled 1 of each Hero, 1 of each Crusader, an Inkmoth Nexus, Consecrated sphinx, and Sword of F&F. My friends all freaked out and went to buy boosters for me to open for them, but not Phy Crusader packs. I got one friend a Foil Nexus and the other a Sword of F&F, but my third friend didn't get anything good(bulk worthy rares).
Its going to eat me!
Quotes and such
57044478 wrote:
57311168 wrote:
What happens if there's a tie for first?
Monkey knife fight
We know (at least in general terms) how cards are printed, cut from sheets, put into boosters, shipped to stores, and then sold to customers.  By the time the customer gets the booster, it's filled with specific cards that came from specific sheets printed at a specific time.  The customer doesn't know which ones they are, but someone observing the entire process would, in theory, be able to tell them.  The idea that what you get out of the booster can somehow be affected by what you use the open it is then implausible, to say the least.  The existence of such a mechanism would overthrow everything we know about how the world works.

That doesn't mean I can say with absolute certainty that his ritual doesn't work (maybe all of physics is wrong), but it does mean I can say it with enough certainty that there's no need for hedge words.
Actually you can scientifically prove that your lucky charm does not help, and adeyke pointed out most of it.
Your pulling of only Phyrexian Crusader boosters could actually work, but only because the print run may simply result in a number of desirable rares being found in Phyrexian Crusader boosters for that particular box.

Beyond that, as adeyke said, the booster already contains the cards. They are fixed at the moment they are sealed. Nothing you do will change them. Jumping off a ladder onto a mirror while holding thirteen black cats doesn't making you any more or less likely to pull Archangel's Light. The booster either contains it, or it doesn't, and you can't change it by wishing
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
I don't think I demonstrated that it doesn't help, just that the plausibility of the claim that it helps is really, really, low.  So low that it's not really worth investigating it further.  To actually determine the validity of the claim (which isn't worth the bother), you'd need to run an experiment.

First, you'd make a hypothesis of what the scissors are supposed to do (guarantee a mythic? guarantee a money rare? significantly increase the probability of either of those?).  Then you'd take a sufficient number of boosters, divide them randomly into two groups, use the scissors to cut open one group, and open the other group without the scissors.  If the scissors really did do something, you should be able to see a dramatically different result for the two groups.  Then you'd repeat this for a different batch of boosters.  If there's still an effect, go win Randi's million dollars.
There's no such thing as variable luck, so no, I don't.  And even if there was, artificially improving my luck would be harming someone else, since only so many of each card is printed.
I am fully aware that it changes nothing, but nevertheless whenever I open a pack outside of a draft (which I've last done during, what, Zendikar?), I have someone else open it for me. Just for the fun of it.

L1 Judge

I stopped reading at lucky scissors and I just wanted to say
Level 2 Magic Judge Lite a man a fire, warm him for a day. Light a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
There are lucky and ...not so lucky people. That's all.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

With the rise of box mapping, you don't need luck. Box mapping has pretty much ruined any reason to buy individual packs. As odds are someone has already gotten all the good stuff from the packs and left just the jank behind.
My lucky ritual for getting money out of boosters is as follows:
1. DON'T ****ING OPEN THEM.
2. Sell them to casuals at school for retail minus tax.
3. Continue to enter FNM for free.

Edit: The contents of your booster don't spawn until you've opened it.
There are two schools of thought for whatI am about to say. Buying packs that depict the card you want are more likely to have it, and the opposite
Now, I'm the type of person who does believe in the "supernatural" or "paranormal" or whatever weird label you want to give things that don't fit our five-sense perception of reality, but not in this case. The only luck involved in opening boosters is expended when you pick up the pack(s) that you will buy and open, and leave the rest in the box or whatever the store has them in. I don't think the concept of Schroedinger's cat applies here.
However, Schroedinger's Card does apply when milling. Yes, you happened to hit the card I needed to draw. We know that now. But before you did it, you were just as likely to bring it to the top. The card is not certain until we see it, and claiming that your decision was right or wrong based on what it ended up being is a fallacious argument.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
suffice to say that my lucky ritual involves human sacrifice. the trick is learning to get the booster pack open with blood all over your hands - the plastic is heaps slippery when they are wet!

And then you have the problem of blood on the cards themselves. When wizards started putting token inserts into boosters that was actually the best thing ever, because it meant that it was easier to extract the rare without it getting all bloody.
M:tG Rules Adviser
I believe people have lucky rituals. I also believe they are as useful as shoveling crap against the tide.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Store owner rubbed a pack over his nipple. I pulled a foil Phantasmal Image. Works for me.
Yeah, my lucky ritual is to set my sights low.  I did that, and 100% of my pulls are good cards.
Nah Nah Nah... Nah Nah Nah... SPORTSCENTER... THE PLACE FOR SPORTS
However, Schroedinger's Card does apply when milling. Yes, you happened to hit the card I needed to draw. We know that now. But before you did it, you were just as likely to bring it to the top. The card is not certain until we see it, and claiming that your decision was right or wrong based on what it ended up being is a fallacious argument.



The Schrödinger's Cat thought experiment involves radioactive decay, which is truly random, and the box means that you can't observe the state of the cat until you open it.  With deck-shuffling, it's a macro-scale deterministic (but really complicated and, in practice, unpredictable) process that's open to observation.  If someone had a really good video recording of the shuffle, they'd be able to go through it frame by frame and track the position of every card in the deck.  So the cards aren't really in an undetermined state.  They're just in a state that's unknown to the player.

However, the "undetermined state" model can still be a useful way to look at it, and the milling situation you bring up is a great example of that.
However, Schroedinger's Card does apply when milling. Yes, you happened to hit the card I needed to draw. We know that now. But before you did it, you were just as likely to bring it to the top. The card is not certain until we see it, and claiming that your decision was right or wrong based on what it ended up being is a fallacious argument.



The Schrödinger's Cat thought experiment involves radioactive decay, which is truly random, and the box means that you can't observe the state of the cat until you open it.  With deck-shuffling, it's a macro-scale deterministic (but really complicated and, in practice, unpredictable) process that's open to observation.  If someone had a really good video recording of the shuffle, they'd be able to go through it frame by frame and track the position of every card in the deck.  So the cards aren't really in an undetermined state.  They're just in a state that's unknown to the player.

However, the "undetermined state" model can still be a useful way to look at it, and the milling situation you bring up is a great example of that.



Where does radioactive decay fit into this? I wasn't aware that that was part of the concept of the cat. Also, in order to use a camera to track the position of cards while shuffling, it would have to either be underneath a glass surface that the shuffling is occuring directly on the surface of, or something of that nature (or it could just be magical, hehe). Okay, I think that arguing the technical aspect of how the camera would work is missing your point, but is the Cat not in a determined state, that is simply unknown to someone outside of the box? Or is the Cat actually supposed to be both alive and dead simultaneously, but only one as soon as you look? It's been a while since I read anything on the subject, so I might be viewing it incorrectly. :p It's a confusing-ass concept anyway.
I recommend reading the Wikipedia entry.  I don't pretend to understand it myself.
Yeah, my lucky ritual is to set my sights low.  I did that, and 100% of my pulls are good cards.


agreed. getting cards from your booster at all? #winnning.
M:tG Rules Adviser
Okay, summary of Schrodinger's Cat, as best I understand it:

First off, it is a thought experiment and a thought experiment only: It never has been and was never intended to be performed as an actual experiment. Moreover, it was designed to show the absurdity of the idea that a particle can be in two states at once until observed.

The basic idea is this: Step one is to put a cat in a box. Then you also put in the box a flask of acid, and a sample of radioactive material that has a chance of either decaying or not decaying and a geiger counter. You hook up the device such that if the material decays, the flask is smashed and the cat dies.

According to Quantum superposition, until a particle is observed it is in both possible states at once. In this case, that means that until you see it, the radioactive material both has and hasn't decayed, which means the cat both is and isn't dead. The cat will remain in this indeterminate state indefinitely until the box is opened, and which point, now that the process is observed, the cat will be reduced to a single state: Either alive or dead.

What this means for Magic is something I've already discussed: (And yes, technically the order is set ahead of time but you do not know what it is) Drawing any one card in your deck is equivalent to drawing any other card. In other words, drawing a card from the middle is just as likely to result in you getting the card you want as drawing a card off the top. Because of this, should you be milled, the chance is the same that the card you're looking for is immediately below the cards they milled as it is that the card is going to be milled in that time.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
I have a pair of scissors that i have deemed "lucky".





Also, it's cenobite. It refers, not to demons (Sorry, Hellraiser fans.), but to a group of monks that live together in a monastery.

139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Show


^double!


@Dragon Nut: Great explanation (except that it's superposition, not entanglement).

 I don't have any delusions about my small actions having an effect on the rest of the Universe (except in useless, miniscule ways like gravitational attraction), although I do try to get draft packs with all the same picture or all different.  I've spent waaaaay too much time playing Set.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

I stopped reading at lucky scissors and I just wanted to say


Man, what's with all the hate? I get told off for responding to rehashed "MY LUXURY HOBBY COSTS MONEY!" threads with my usual caustic sarcasm and then people bite a guy's head off for performing meaningless rituals? I mean, I know the discussion of meaningless rituals is against the CoC, but he's not hurting anybody.

Personally I tots believe in the power of gift boosters. In boosters from care packages / Christmas  I've gotten Garruk Wildspeaker, Inferno Titan, Army of the damned, Isolated Chapel, Frightening Greaves, and Maelstrom Archangel (Which was actually from one of those scam boosters WotC tried, making it all the more impressive of a pull IMO).
And one booster I got a friend for his birthday had a Deity of Scars and another foil rare.
Ooh, and at the ISD prerelease, one of my friends gave another friend one of his prize packs. It had a Liliana.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.

Personally I tots believe in the power of gift boosters.



I shall now proceed to hate on you for using that word. (you know which one) Hate! Hate! Hate!

I hate haters.


oops, that means I hate me.


guess I'd better go kill myself now.

M:tG Rules Adviser

Personally I tots believe in the power of gift boosters.



I shall now proceed to hate on you for using that word. (you know which one) Hate! Hate! Hate!


Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now.

O' Jesus

Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle.

Amen.

Anyway, back to the OP.  I have two things... One, the ritual.  Two the Luck-O-Meter.

My ritual is to open each pack and read the entire text box of each card from my first common, ending with either my rare, foil, token or land, depending on the pack.  Packs where I forget and just shuffle through pictures give me bad rares.  If I actually read every card and it's flavor text, I have a much higher tendancy to get a good rare (not kidding... it happens a lot).

Then there is the Luck-O-Meter. Sometimes it's more spot on than others.
I've called Sorin being in a specific pack and Damnation being in one of the three bosters at the comic shop by my house... Both times, correct.  And mind you, I've only tried that twice (I've got 100% accuracy in that part folks!). Then there are other packs that I feel are lucky.  These normally contain foils, but they have also contained...
Jace, Elesh Norn, Vorinclex (I wanted UrabraskSword of Fire and Ice, Shivan Dragon (I wanted him at the time) and much more.  I have been wrong about lucky packs three times... each time I was almost broke and knew that I shouldn't be buying cards in the first place.
Show
My Decks http://community.wizards.com/vennsvaults/go/forum/viewcategory/138835/Venns_Vaults My Bronation Station http://community.wizards.com/pony My 1000th post! On Thursday 03/13/2011! Yay St. Patric's day. How to play many other Casual Magic Formats http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29198663/?sdb=1&pg=last#521400213 Many of these were on the Magic Resources Site years ago. It was removed around the time 2HG became a sanctioned format. Purple Work Station http://community.wizards.com/purpleworkstation/go/forum/viewboard IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
I think humans have a much more powerful sense of intuition than we've been conditioned to believe, which could easily lead to the perception of luck in some cases. I'm not trying to take away from anyone their sense of ability to be lucky, I'm just saying I think intuition is more what we think of as "luck" than anything. At least in the cases where your decisions, conscious or not, have a direct effect on the outcome (i.e., choosing booster A rather than booster B or C). That said, I still hold that there's nothing you can actually do to influence the contents of a specific pack, short of tampering of course.
I'm not sure what you mean by "intuition" there.  I'd say it's rather that people are good at finding patterns (even where there are none), are prone to to confuse causation and correlation ("I did action X while opening the booster and pulled a money rare, so action X gave me that rare").  They're also prone to confirmation bias, noting only the hits while ignoring the misses.
Better packs tend to have a certain "weight" to them since gravity pulls more strongly on the awesome cards it wants.
Seriously though scientists have recorded pigeons develop superstitions base on what they were doing when their randomly determined meal times came.
On the other hand I still do actually do test the weigt of packs since: 1)It makes me feel better and, 2) it can't really hurt now can it?
Better packs tend to have a certain "weight" to them since gravity pulls more strongly on the awesome cards it wants.
Seriously though scientists have recorded pigeons develop superstitions base on what they were doing when their randomly determined meal times came.
On the other hand I still do actually do test the weigt of packs since: 1)It makes me feel better and, 2) it can't really hurt now can it?



Technically with a sensitive enough scale you should be able to find packs with foils in them... but it wouldnt be able to tell the difference between a Sorin and a Seance. 

Current decks
Comments or suggestions are always welcome

Modern
nothing at the moment

I'm not sure what you mean by "intuition" there.  I'd say it's rather that people are good at finding patterns (even where there are none), are prone to to confuse causation and correlation ("I did action X while opening the booster and pulled a money rare, so action X gave me that rare").  They're also prone to confirmation bias, noting only the hits while ignoring the misses.



Intuition as in going with your gut. Nothing to do with patterns or rituals, although confirmation bias could play a role.
Re: Sell to casuals, lucky rips

Unloaded the 5 I brought with me on one guy today, not the one who originally placed the order.  Guy sells one of his packs to another guy.  Other guy opens Havengul Lich, foil Ravenous Demon, miscut Tragic Slip.  Like, the name plate was at the card's top border.

The other four packs were the chaff that I avoid by selling boosters.  Feels Goodman.  :D
I'm not sure what you mean by "intuition" there.  I'd say it's rather that people are good at finding patterns (even where there are none), are prone to to confuse causation and correlation ("I did action X while opening the booster and pulled a money rare, so action X gave me that rare").  They're also prone to confirmation bias, noting only the hits while ignoring the misses.



I have awesome intuition to read people's feelings. It could be pattern recognition (implicitly reading body language) although I've won my fair share of cash playing poker and reading people's emotions and reactions.
M:tG Rules Adviser
Better packs tend to have a certain "weight" to them since gravity pulls more strongly on the awesome cards it wants.
Seriously though scientists have recorded pigeons develop superstitions base on what they were doing when their randomly determined meal times came.
On the other hand I still do actually do test the weigt of packs since: 1)It makes me feel better and, 2) it can't really hurt now can it?



Technically with a sensitive enough scale you should be able to find packs with foils in them... but it wouldnt be able to tell the difference between a Sorin and a Seance. 



Yes, technically this is true. foils must weigh more . THey have foil on them. Foil has weight.
I think humans have a much more powerful sense of intuition than we've been conditioned to believe, which could easily lead to the perception of luck in some cases. I'm not trying to take away from anyone their sense of ability to be lucky, I'm just saying I think intuition is more what we think of as "luck" than anything. At least in the cases where your decisions, conscious or not, have a direct effect on the outcome (i.e., choosing booster A rather than booster B or C). That said, I still hold that there's nothing you can actually do to influence the contents of a specific pack, short of tampering of course.



True, true. People often recognize patterns they don't conciously acknowledge. Often being "lucky" is just a case of being observant. Lucky people don't spot money on the ground because their luck put it there, they're just paying attention.
The person is lucky that no one else observed it first.  Duh.