Armor and Weapons

Please make the armor and weapon lists balanced and make sure all options are viable for optimization for different builds.

Using 3.5 like wording since it seems this edition is back tracking.

Have all armor be of use in 3.5 only like 3 or 4 types of armor were ever picked by anyone.

Light armor

Type 1> +1 AC   +9 max dex -0 skill penalty example = robes, heavy clothing, ninja garb
Type 2> +2 AC   +8 max dex -1 skill penalty example = soft leather, elven weave cloth, chain bikini
Type 3> +3 AC   +7 max dex -2 skill penalty example = rigid leather, studded leather, chain shirt

Medium armor

Type 4> +4 AC  +6 max dex  -3 skill penalty example = light scale, chain mail
Type 5> +5 AC  +5 max dex  -4 skill penalty example = scale mail, heavy chain, banded mail
Type 6> +6 AC  +4 max dex  -5 skill penalty example = breast plate, samuria riding armor

Heavy armor

Type 7> +7 AC  +3 max dex  -6 skill penalty example = light plate armor
Type 8> +8 AC  +2 max dex  -7 skill penalty example = plate mail
TYpe 9> +9 AC  +1 max dex  -8 skill penalty example = field plate, dwarven plate

See now every armor has something for someone depending on what dex they have you will see a large variety of armor in different games.

This also lets you be descriptive with what you are wearing becasue the name of the armor and what it looks like is just fluff, the Type is important so you can be wearing gladiator peicemail and it be any Type.

Do the same thing for weapons all weapons do a d4, d6, d8, d10, or d12.  Have d8 be the base main hand weapon like a long sword, warhammer, flail ect.  The d6 has either reach like a spear or off hand like a short sword, d4 has two key words like thrown and off hand.

All d10 weapons are two handed with one key word like reach, d12 is the standard two handed weapon.

2d6 is not the same as d12, 2d4 is not the same as d8 please stop using multiple dice as base damage.

Have key words that mean things like piercing, slashing, light, reach, fast, slow, ect...

If it has a negative key word like slow then it gets an extra positive key word.

This way all weapons follow a standard design formula that matter to the game not to simulating reality.  This is a fantasy game reality matters so little it should never be used as a justification for bad game balance.

Remember this is a public forum where people express their opinions assume there is a “In my humble opinion” in front of every post especially mine.  

Things you should check out because they are cool, like bow-ties and fezzes.

https://app.roll20.net/home  Roll20 great free virtual table top so you can play with old friends who are far away.

http://donjon.bin.sh/  Donjon has random treasure, maps, pick pocket results, etc.. for every edition of D&D.

I actually prefer Legend's take on equipment. The less effort you put in that, the merrier. Equipment tends to get in the way of character building: what if I wanted a character who uses a mace and not a warhammer? What if I wanted to use lighter armor because it suits my character more? The less I focus on my equipment, the more I focus on the character I want to play.

Legend's take on weapons and armors is the following:

LIGHT ARMOR: +1 to AC.
HEAVY ARMOR: +2 to AC, -1 to Reflexes.

HOLD-OUT WEAPONS: no penalty to hide them, 1d6 damage.
SPECIAL WEAPONS: 1d8 damage, can select one special skill from a list of options. Some examples:
- Guardian: use in one hand, can equip a shield for +1 AC.
- Magnum: ranged weapons can bust through wooden walls or similar.
- Mounted: can be used effectively on a mount.
- Reach: gain +5 ft reach.
- Tripping: +1 to Trip.
- Disarming: +1 to Disarm.
MAIN WEAPONS: either two handed weapons or two weapons with the same range (allows for two swords or two hand crossbows easily). Deal 2d6 damage. This kills two weapon fighting's extra attacks too while still providing a good bonus, which is good IMO. 
Are you interested in an online 4E game on Sunday? Contact me with a PM!
Show
Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept.
Ideas for 5E
I personally like Gamma World's approach to weapons and armor. I won't spell it out here, but the gist is the same. Archetypes, instead of specific weapons and armor. However they handle it specifically, this kind of approach I think is best. It makes gear selection into more of a creative act. Unless you want to write "Heavy two-handed weapon" on your character sheet, you need to decide what that is. And because you made that decision, it's going to feel more important to you.
I think such a system would work as the basic way it's handled in game. More detailed rules on armor and weapons and could handled in an add-on module.  That way, the option is still there for the power gamers and slayers, who tend to like their weapons and armor having crunchy rules bits to them.
That warm fuzzy feeling you get when you a forum thread you're subscribed to has a new comment.
Oh, and to add on the above: give Fighter class a unique class feature that gives him a boost based on the weapon he's using. Also, give a list of preconstructed weapons - like, Longsword: Special Guardian Sword; Scimitar: Special Critical Sword.
Show
Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept.
Ideas for 5E
I'd rather have a more concrete approach to weapons -- better to get a good range of weapons, with a corresponding range of effects. Essentially, Weapon Mastery should be the replacement of Martial At-Will powers. Want effects that stun or daze? Get a Mace. Want controller effects or range? Use polearms. And so on.
Brute builds would use two-handed weapons, Skirmisher builds two-weapon fighting or single one handed styles, and Soldier builds weapon and shield.

Same idea for ranged weapons.

GP
I like the idea of building your fighter around the weapon they use.  I also like the idea of feats giving you something new to do.  Though I am not sure WoTC likes that idea.  In the past, they've always wanted feats to either improve what you can already do, or shore up a weak point.  Not really give you new abilities.  I know, there are tons of exceptions to this rule in 4e already.  Channel Divinity, most of the multi-class feats, some of the bloodline feats.  But these were exceptions, rather than the rule.  Still, I think it would be an interesting way of going about it.  

The question is, would these martial power feats be available to anyone who was trained in the use of the weapon?  That is, if I had my Wizard pick up proficiency in the longsword, should I also be able to pick feats that give him at-will and encounter powers when using the longsword?   One of the things I hated about 3e was that certain combat feats could only be taken by the fighter.  I don't like restricting certain feats to be fighter only, because if you later introduce a melee class that you want to have access to these feats, you have to say that it can take feats as if it were a fighter.  In that case, why not just make it a subclass of fighter in the first place?  That takes a little away from, say, the paladin or samarai if it's just considered a subclass of fighter. In my opinion anyway.  I would much rather leave these feats open to players, regardless of what class they are playing.  

Actually, that would be a good way to do an Eldritch Knight.  Just build a wizard with training in the longsword, and pick up power feats tied to the longsword. 
That warm fuzzy feeling you get when you a forum thread you're subscribed to has a new comment.
One thing I'm hoping for is a derth of must-take feats/features that marry your character to one implement or weapon (type) for his career. Seldomly does the weapon table mean anything after creation.

On a separate note, here's a nutty idea. Maybe superior weapons should become the norm. Like weapons of the build of Essentials Warlock, maybe it's common for PCs to keep getting more fantastical stuff as they level up. Your magic items aren't just the same sword but it cuts better, rather a jug that spouts flame, a dancing scythe blade, and so on. Okay, that's me thinking way outside the box, but why not?
Reigning this back in a bit, you might be looking at a new weapons (and implements and armour) table come mid-first tier. It'd be an interesting and different way to 'level up' as it were. It might also limit the horrors of a poorly designed OP weapon because you wouldn't be using it for more than five or six levels.
'Balancing' weapons and armor while bringing back vancian casting is like banning hollow-point bullets durring a nuclear war. 

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I just mean balanced with each other so that not just a few select pieces of armor or a few weapons are used all the time in most versions of the game.  I would also like an system so say for example katana fan boy Bob who gets a job at Wotc doesn't come out and publish rules for super sword.

If this is like Gamma World or Legend  I don't care, just something where there is not a big list of weapons and armor and only 10% of them are ever picked, it seems stupid to waste the time and energy making the 90% that is pure crap.

On the subject, if I have to spend a feat on an "exotic weapon"  I want it to be worth a feat.

Remember this is a public forum where people express their opinions assume there is a “In my humble opinion” in front of every post especially mine.  

Things you should check out because they are cool, like bow-ties and fezzes.

https://app.roll20.net/home  Roll20 great free virtual table top so you can play with old friends who are far away.

http://donjon.bin.sh/  Donjon has random treasure, maps, pick pocket results, etc.. for every edition of D&D.

I would prefer a broad range of general types of weapons and armor, where each type could have several different examples.  Bastard swords and katanas may look different, but they function the same mechanically, for example.  
Please make the armor and weapon lists balanced and make sure all options are viable for optimization for different builds.

Using 3.5 like wording since it seems this edition is back tracking.

Have all armor be of use in 3.5 only like 3 or 4 types of armor were ever picked by anyone.

Light armor

Type 1> +1 AC   +9 max dex -0 skill penalty example = robes, heavy clothing, ninja garb
Type 2> +2 AC   +8 max dex -1 skill penalty example = soft leather, elven weave cloth, chain bikini
Type 3> +3 AC   +7 max dex -2 skill penalty example = rigid leather, studded leather, chain shirt

Medium armor

Type 4> +4 AC  +6 max dex  -3 skill penalty example = light scale, chain mail
Type 5> +5 AC  +5 max dex  -4 skill penalty example = scale mail, heavy chain, banded mail
Type 6> +6 AC  +4 max dex  -5 skill penalty example = breast plate, samuria riding armor

Heavy armor

Type 7> +7 AC  +3 max dex  -6 skill penalty example = light plate armor
Type 8> +8 AC  +2 max dex  -7 skill penalty example = plate mail
TYpe 9> +9 AC  +1 max dex  -8 skill penalty example = field plate, dwarven plate

Too many armor types, and they are trying to reduce the use of skills - a -8 skill penalty is just absurd in 4E and probably would be worse in 5E.

4E has cloth, leather, hide as light armors; chain, scale, and plate as heavy armors; plus light and heavy shields. (Except for some specific purposes chain is grouped with light armors.) I like the idea of moving the names to fluff; in fact 4E eventually acquired some armors that are named one type (with a modifier) but have some attributes of another.

Do the same thing for weapons all weapons do a d4, d6, d8, d10, or d12.  Have d8 be the base main hand weapon like a long sword, warhammer, flail ect.  The d6 has either reach like a spear or off hand like a short sword, d4 has two key words like thrown and off hand.

All d10 weapons are two handed with one key word like reach, d12 is the standard two handed weapon.

That's approximately (not exactly) what they did with 4E. 

I'd add that each weapon gets one weapon type for free, and a second weapon type counts as another keyword.

2d6 is not the same as d12, 2d4 is not the same as d8 please stop using multiple dice as base damage.

I know that 4E does not treat 2d4 the same as 1d8, it's treated as a step up.

The catch is, it isn't. The steps in damage-die size each represent a 1-point increase in average damage, EXCEPT when a 2d? is included on either end of the step; 1d6 to 1d8 increases average damage from 3.5 to 4.5, going to 2d4 increases it to 5, and then going to 1d10 increases it to 5.5. I don't know if these half-steps are actually an issue, but they certainly create unevenness.

"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
Something like Gamma World would probably be fine.  Weapons are light or heavy, one-handed or two-handed (which includes TWFing).  Armor is light or heavy.  Shield is a binary choice, you have one or not.  Then just describe how you like.  No proficiency, anyone can use any weapon.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Something like Gamma World would probably be fine.  Weapons are light or heavy, one-handed or two-handed (which includes TWFing).  Armor is light or heavy.  Shield is a binary choice, you have one or not.  Then just describe how you like.  No proficiency, anyone can use any weapon.

+1
Show
Ideas for 5E
Sign In to post comments