Session 12 question

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was reading over Kalbon's stat block, and I find his Horned King's Assault confusing... well, at least maybe the flavor for it. 

Horned King's Assault * Recharge when first bloodied
Requirement: Kalbon must move to a square adjacent to the blast's origin square during the same turn he uses this power.
Attack: Close Blast 3 (Enemies in blast); +9 vs AC
Hit: 2d10+4 damage, and Kalbon pushes the target up to 2 squares and knocks the target prone.
Effect: Kalbon shifts to a square on the edge of the blast at least 3 squares from the origin square.

If I understand it correctly, in order to use this power, Kalbon MUST move first, then at the end of his move, he can use it... ie: move to a square adjacent to the origin square during the same turn he uses the power.

Then, after he has resolved the attack (hit or miss), he shifts to a square on the edge of the blast, at least 3 squares from the origin square.  

So, is this some kind of "run-by" attack where he can reach 15'? If it was fire damage, I could see it, maybe, as him breathing a gout of flame as he moves past the blast zone.

The mechanics are easy enough, I guess, if I'm right about how the requirement works. I just can't visualize what's going on in my head.  

Can anyone offer their own insight on this? Thanks. 
It's a bit weird, and I had to read it several times to get it, but I picture it as a kind of super Bull's Rush that pushes, damages and knocks down a group of heroes as he charges through their midst.   

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Also, if I'm reading it right, the requirement part can be met simply by following the effect line, so I don't think he has to move first then use the attack at the end of his move.  Probably the simplest way to do this is just have Kalbon do his blast 3 and then after the damage and pushing and knocking prone, he just shifts forward in the direction of the blast and stops either in one of the furthest squares of the blast or one square further beyond that, both of which would be "at the edge of the blast at least 3 squares from the origin square" and also meeting the requirement that he moved (as part of the shift) to a square adjacent to the blast's origin.  It doesn't stay anything about him having to move and STOP there.  And since there is no limit as to how far he shifts as long as it's on the edge of the blast and at least 3 away from where he started, he can shift around all sorts of enemies to get there.

Now, as far as what "at the edge of the blast" means, I'm not sure.  Does that mean only at the furthest square of the blast or can he go one square beyond that and still be at the edge?  I'm not sure, and if I'm still not sure I'll probably opt to limit him to moving to the furthest square of the blast, which would place him 3 and only 3 squares away from the origin square ... no "at least" involved.  But the fact that they say "at least" makes me think the edge of the blast could mean one square further as well, as long as he's adjacent to the edge.

Kinda confusing, but whatever you do, figure out what you want to do ahead of time and stick with it, then if Kalbon gets a chance to do this attack twice be consistent.  I still envision it as a sort of super bull rush attack.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

It turns out that I read the power wrong.

When it says "Then, after he has resolved the attack (hit or miss), he shifts to a square on the edge of the blast, at least 3 squares from the origin square", I read that as "he shifts to a square ALONG the edge of the blast, at least 3 squares from the origin square". 

So, to me, it seemed like he had to run up, set off the close blast, then shift along the edge of the blast, rather than just shifting to any square along the edge of the blast.

I contacted a source that is close to the material, and he said that the power was designed so that it was Kalbon charging up, then rampaging through the area of the blast, swinging his huge horns around and then ending up at the edge of the blast at the end.

So, that makes a lot more sense to me.  
Sign In to post comments