4-0 Sealed - Dark Ascension Launch Party Deck

1 post / 0 new

At my local game store, I managed to assemble this deck. We were given 4 Dark Ascension and 2 Innistrad packs, so the ratios will look a little off.

Creatures (17)
Strangleroot Geist
Scorned Villager / Moonscarred Werewolf x 2
Thraben Heretic x2
Dawntreader Elk
Darkthicket Wolf
Orchard Spirit
Midnight Guard
Niblis of the Mist
Kessig Recluse
Hollowhenge Spirit
Silverclaw Griffin
Angel of Flight Alabaster
Requiem Angel
Gravetiller Wurm x 2

Tricks/Removal (7)
Burden of Guilt
Travel Preparations
Skillful Lunge
Spidery Grasp
Brimstone Volley
Wrack With Madness
Increasing Savagery

Land (16)
Forest x 7
Plains x 7
Mountain x 2

Although I was going relatively land-light for my mana curve, the two Scorned Villagers and the Dawntreader Elk compensated as well as I hoped that they would (and the Elk helped with fixing, either grabbing my second Forest or Plains or finding one of the Mountains). In games where speed was an issue, either to make sure I could stabilize, or to outrace people with bigger bombs, I swapped out one of the Gravetiller Wurms for an Elder Cathar. I only won a single game off Increasing Savagery. The angels helped more, mostly by being big flying bodies. I think I only ever recurred a single spirit, and never got a bonus spirit token. They still swung for damage or soaked up removal, so I was happy to have them.

Best game against me:
Opponent goes first. He drops Reckless Waif, Hinterland Hermit, and Travel Preparations in the first three turns before I play anything, so they're both transformed. That's 11 damage on turn 3. I Brimstone Volley the transformed Hermit on my turn to stem the bleeding (since I know he's got an Ulvenwald Bear in the deck, and the Waif doesn't need more counters). Turn 4, he plays a Hellrider, and that's the game. If I had been able to play any 2-drops on turn 2, I might have pulled it out (keeping the Hermit from transforming), but that was a dream start for my opponent.

Best play I made:
My opponent's playing a four-color deck with a fair amount of mana-fixing and a lot of bombs (Vault of the Archangel, Drogskol Reaver, Gravecrawler + Diregraf Captain...), so I know that I have to win fast before he finds something that my deck can't deal with. Fortunately, he doesn't have a fast start either, so we're on turn 6. He's just attacked with two zombies, but all I have on the table is Niblis of the Mist. I draw Strangleroot Geist, play it, play Travel Preparations, and flash it back. Then I swing for 8 damage, cutting his life in half. The Strangleroot Geist held back for blocking, and he didn't find enough flyers to deal with the spirit before it could do lethal damage.