How'dya like me now?

Been pondering this with wistful bemusement for some days now.
SSB was almost stillborn, SWM had a good run but faced huge criticisms, WotC lost/gave up/whatever it's license. FFG picked it up... huge initial excitement for "X-Wing" followed by NO information whatsoever, no support, irritated fans and now... chirping crickets on the FFG boards.
Don't you kind of LONG for the days of people making theoretical lists of The Next Set? Does that reposed Stormtrooper seem all that bad now? Does it really make that much difference, in retrospect, that the Jedi Weapon Master was undercosted? Though the SSB ruleset was unsat, with all the fan-work that's been done isn't a it bit of a pity there wasn't a second set - crappy rules and all?
Reminds me of the Bush t-shirt I see sometimes. I think WotC employees should all get shirts that say, "WotC: miss me yet?"

Edit: I posted this on the SSB subforum because, perversely, it's now one of the most hoppin' SW boards around! Go figure. I thought it was appropriate.
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt." Scale video that I made with darthvaughn: " SW Minis Scale video Starship Modeler website. Jeff Russel's incredible STARSHIP DIMENSIONS website, with our favourite vehicles, vessels & critters from multiple sources, shown to scale. SQUADRON MODEL's Sci-Fi model kits section. How to make a model conversion to an Old Republic frigate.
meh the SSB mini's are really nice looking and with modified or custom rules you got yourself a good game.  If a  better game system comes along you can just proxy.

I don't miss WOTC in regards to star wars but I hope they stay in the game for axis and allies WAS and the airgame I think they have done a much better job there.
Oh yeah it's quite the hotbed of activity over here.  

Look at me I'm shouting in the dark and it is so desolate I can leave and days later you can still hear my echo. 
Revamp for the sake of revamp? That always works out well.
Oh yeah it's quite the hotbed of activity over here.  

Look at me I'm shouting in the dark and it is so desolate I can leave and days later you can still hear my echo. 

LMAO.  hahaha.

And this current activity is recent...  I've gone weeks without checking these boards and haven't missed anything.  Not just anything important, but ANYTHING.  It's nice to see new posts again.

My unofficial SSB Website 4-14-10 Uploaded the Base Pack of stat cards for Desperate Encounters. These cards are for the 60 stock SSB Models, making them compatible with DE. Coming Soon: DE: Reputations. Reputations in battle are earned, not given... An expansion pack containing stat cards for unique fighter squadrons, unique versions of stock SSB ships, and generic versions of unique SSB ships.
Some day I'll be playing with Star Wars minis again :D Sadly, also basic-SWM has been forgotten by me and my friends. Too many games, too little time. In addition to rpg's we've been a lot of Eclipse. It's a Finnish boardgame very much resembling Master of Orion, and plays really fast compared to other similar games. 
Shaper & Maker galleries
sounds interesting!
My unofficial SSB Website 4-14-10 Uploaded the Base Pack of stat cards for Desperate Encounters. These cards are for the 60 stock SSB Models, making them compatible with DE. Coming Soon: DE: Reputations. Reputations in battle are earned, not given... An expansion pack containing stat cards for unique fighter squadrons, unique versions of stock SSB ships, and generic versions of unique SSB ships.
I lay in the minority that didnt think the rules were that bad in the first place. Granted theres some balance issues between armies and I wish it was little bit more viable to play a fair game as cis vs republic or rebel vs empire. That FFG game thats gone dark seems as if it'll be waaaaaay too expensive and their only brainstormed expanisions so far involve slave I and MF. Its definitely not shaping up to be as fun or as interesting a set as SSB was.
I just have a problem when a viable "strategy" is to park your ships on the back of the board and never move...  With no weapons ranges or range penalties, there is no need to move to take your shots. So why get closer or chance turning your side arc to enemy fire?
What RK said!  Essentially aside from moving the fighters, you were simply playing a game of Roll the Dice, since there was no incintive to move the non-fighter ships!  For me, I didn't even like the gaming grid and actually did away with it altogether with my ruleset which in my opinion opened up the game even more since you're no longer restricted to certain girds on a star map.  In the end however, it all conmes down to preference, so nobody is right or wrong for how they like to play which in my opinion allows everyone to win, lol!
I agree. I played a game a couple of days ago but found myelf thinking... "Why am I bothering to move this capital ship forwards?". I need to get a few more ships though to make my games more interesting, at the moment I only have three capital ships in my collection. The rest are class 3 & 4.

What's the best set of alternate rules out there that involve distance being an importnant factor? i.e. are their any custom rules that make you have to move your big ships in closer?

I'm new to these forums aand haven't had a chance to look around them much yet. 
@ A_Blues_fan

Well I'm sure you could find all kinds of custom rules simply by doing a web search, some more comprehensive than others.  However, besides my own set which can be found in the SSSW (Small Scale Star Wars) Yahoo Group, there is also RogueKnight's Desperate Encounters which can be found on his own site, listed in his signature for any of his posts.  In order to get access to mine however, you will have to join the Yahoo Group, which is free since I don't maintain a website of my own and then look for the file titled Unofficial SSB Expanded Rules in the Files section.  I'm currently in the process of making some changes to my last version, but the basics of my rules won't change much at all if you'd like to try them out.  They make use of all the current SSB accessories so as to make it easy for anyone to just jump right in and play if they already have the game.  Anyway, hope you find some rules you like!

RogueKnight's site:
rogueknight.webng.com/

SSSW Group Site:
 games.groups.yahoo.com/group/SSSW/
From my understanding, with the original ssb rules, moving your capital ships forward is done because you want to deploy your fighters closer to the front line and then support them. Same with class 3s as a lot of them have AF targeting which isn't much help if they are stationary. Sure ships without fighter launch don't have much incentive to move, but i think the idea is for gunships (RAS, BCF...) to flank other capitals.

I can see how range rules would be cool change of pace though. I agree that luck takes up too large a portion of winning for sure, just think theres more strategy than some assume. There are quite a few custom rules that look enjoyable though.
Iron Lung, but again if I park all my ships at the back of the board and just turn the game into an unflankable slugfest and keep my fighters close, it's a viable strategy.