Mini Blender: Pixie Centered Monk/Sorcerer with Lightning Fury

32 posts / 0 new
Last post

I know I'm a little late to the party in discovering Lightning Fury (somehow I'd missed all of the Blenders?) but this is an attempt to combine the automatic damage from Lightning Field with a Centered Fist Monk's slides. Considering he's going to spend a lot of time surrounded by angry enemies, I also tried to make sure his defenses were up to the task.

Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Kossiss, level 16
Pixie, Sorcerer/Monk, Lightning Fury
Sorcerous Power Option: Sorcerous Power Dexterity
Monastic Tradition (Hybrid) Option: Centered Breath (Hybrid)
Hybrid Monk Option: Hybrid Monk Fortitude
Hybrid Talent Option: Soul of the Sorcerer
Soul of the Sorcerer Option: Storm Soul
Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)
Theme: Mercenary

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 11, DEX 24, INT 9, WIS 18, CHA 14

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 10, DEX 18, INT 8, WIS 14, CHA 11

AC: 30 Fort: 25 Ref: 31 Will: 30
HP: 111 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 27

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +17, Stealth +22, Thievery +20

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +15, Arcana +7, Athletics +8, Bluff +10, Diplomacy +10, Dungeoneering +12, Endurance +8, Heal +12, History +7, Insight +12, Intimidate +12, Nature +14, Religion +7, Streetwise +12

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Mercenary Attack: Takedown Strike
Pixie Utility: Pixie Dust
Pixie Utility: Shrink
Monk Feature: Centered Flurry of Blows
Monk Attack 1: Five Storms
Lightning Fury Attack 11: Furious Bolts
Lightning Fury Utility 12: Lightning in the Blood

FEATS
Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Mark of Storm
Level 4: Deadly Draw
Level 6: Unarmored Agility
Level 8: Improved Defenses
Level 10: Ki Focus Expertise
Level 11: Superior Implement Training (Mountain ki focus)
Level 12: Starblade Flurry
Level 14: Nimble Blade
Level 16: Defensive Advantage

ITEMS
Rushing Cleats x1
Forked Lightning Mountain ki focus +3 x1
Rhythm Blade Dagger +1 x1
Ki Club +1
Ki Wrist razors +1 x1
Bloodthread Githweave Armor +3 x1
Eberron Shard of Lightning (paragon tier)
Amulet of Protection +4 x1
Bloodthread Kestrekel Feather Armor +3
Ring of the Dragonborn Emperor x1
====== End ======

This build hovers over a group of enemies and attacks with Five Storms at +20 to attack vs. Reflex, +23 with CA, and deals 1d8+16 damage and slides targets 3 squares. This moves the targets through 7Dex+2d6 damage each square for a total of 1d8+6d6+37 damage to initial targets. This also triggers his Centered Breath Flurry, which slides three enemies 1 square each (one of which can be drawn into the storm at range with Starblade Flurry), dealing another 6flurry+4ki weapons+7Dex+2d6 damage to each.

To all hit and flurried adjacent enemies, that means 1d8+8d6+54 damage. If they were missed but still flurried, it's 2d6+17 automatically, and everyone grants CA, which makes it more likely he will hit them in subsequent rounds (+3 to attack with Nimble Blade).

As for his defenses, he's doing pretty good for a striker. If he hits he gains an additional +2 AC and Reflex for shielding ki focus and rhythm dagger, and against everything that grants him CA he gains an extra +2 to his AC against their attacks.

How does he do? He's probably not showing up on the new DPR Kings thread any time soon, but I think he's pretty good for a level 16 mini Blender.

Max DPR model
Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Kossiss, level 16
Revenant, Sorcerer/Monk, Lightning Fury
Sorcerous Power Option: Sorcerous Power Dexterity
Monastic Tradition (Hybrid) Option: Centered Breath (Hybrid)
Hybrid Monk Option: Hybrid Monk Fortitude
Hybrid Talent Option: Soul of the Sorcerer
Soul of the Sorcerer Option: Storm Soul
Choose your Race in Life: Tiefling
Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)
Theme: Infernal Prince

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 9, CON 11, DEX 24, INT 14, WIS 16, CHA 14

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 10, DEX 18, INT 13, WIS 12, CHA 11

AC: 30 Fort: 23 Ref: 29 Will: 27
HP: 111 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 27

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +17, Perception +16, Stealth +20, Thievery +20

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +15, Arcana +10, Athletics +7, Bluff +10, Diplomacy +10, Dungeoneering +11, Endurance +10, Heal +11, History +10, Insight +11, Nature +11, Religion +10, Streetwise +10

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Revenant Utility: Dark Reaping
Monk Feature: Centered Flurry of Blows
Monk Attack 1: Five Storms
Lightning Fury Attack 11: Furious Bolts
Lightning Fury Utility 12: Lightning in the Blood

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Mark of Storm
Level 4: Deadly Draw
Level 6: Hellfire Blood
Level 8: Ki Focus Expertise
Level 10: Superior Implement Training (Iron ki focus)
Level 11: Nimble Blade
Level 12: Starblade Flurry
Level 14: Disciplined Talent
Level 16: Controlling Advantage

ITEMS
Rushing Cleats x1
Rhythm Blade Dagger +1 x1
Lightning Dagger +1 x1
Ki Club +1
Ki Wrist razors +1 x1
Bloodthread Githweave Armor +3 x1
Eberron Shard of Lightning (paragon tier)
Amulet of Protection +4 x1
Ring of the Dragonborn Emperor x1
Body of Fire Iron ki focus +3 x1
Tempest Whetstone (heroic tier)
====== End ======

8half+7dex+3enh+1infernal+1hellfire+2exp(+3CA) = 22/25
1d8+7dex+3enh+3ring+3shard+1hellfire+2iron(+2xtargets, whetstone) = 19/35

This build sits in the middle of a group of enemies and attacks with Five Storms at +22 to attack vs. Reflex, +25 with CA, and deals 1d8+19+(2 x number of Enemies in 2 squares hit) damage and slides targets 4 squares (mark of storm, rushing cleats, controlling advantage, iron ki). This moves the targets through 7Dex+2d6 damage each square for a total of 1d8+8d6+47+(2 x Enemies) damage to initial targets. This also triggers his Centered Breath Flurry, which slides three enemies 2 square each (one of which can be drawn into the storm at range with Starblade Flurry), dealing another 5flurry+4ki weapons+2x(7Dex+2d6) damage to each.

To all hit and flurried adjacent enemies, that means 1d8+12d6+70+(2 to 16) damage. If they were missed but still flurried, it's 4d6+23+(2 to 14) damage automatically, and everyone grants CA, which makes it more likely he will hit them in subsequent rounds (+3 to attack with Nimble Blade). Single targets would be less, since he would have to use a lightning weapon instead of the whetstone for the slide, which would be 1 less slide, reducing damage to 1d8+10d6+52 for single targets.

DPR calculations:
Show
average AC 30 at 16 without CA
(.60*(4.5+28+47+2)+.05*(8+48+47+2+10.5)+.65(5+4+2(7+7)) = 48.9+5.775+24.05 = 78.725 average DPR with flurry (first 3 targets)
(.60*(4.5+28+47+2)+.05*(8+48+47+2+10.5) = 48.9+5.775 = 54.675 average DPR without flurry (targets 4-8)
16 average damage to flurry without hit
(.60*(4.5+19+42)+.05*(8+36+42+10.5)+.65(5+4+(7+7)) = 39.3+4.825+14.95 = 59.075 average single target DPR

average AC 30 at 16 with CA
(.75*(4.5+28+47+2)+.05*(8+48+47+2+10.5)+.8(5+4+2(7+7)) = 61.125+5.775+29.6 = 96.5 average DPR with flurry (first 3 targets)
(.75*(4.5+28+47+2)+.05*(8+48+47+2+10.5) = 61.125+5.775 = 66.9 average DPR without flurry (targets 4-8)
(.75*(4.5+19+42)+.05*(8+36+42+10.5)+.8(5+4+(7+7)) = 49.125+4.825+18.4 = 72.35 average single target DPR

Can someone check my math? Also, how the heck do I turn this to average overall DPR? There's so many conditions, from number of enemies hit to number of enemies nearby or within 1 square of the vortex... If you hit all 8 enemies around you, you'd deal an extra 14 damage to each one. How do I calculate that?
A flying Blender that murders everything around it. I like it. Still, a pixie mercenary is quite amazing. Pay some gold to a pixie to murder some guy. Lol. That's amazing.
This still might hit (or at least compete with) the lvl 16 dpr king. Brilliant Recovery isn't till epic. Neither is full revenant cheese.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Minor point, you mention a Shielding Ki Focus in the section about defenses but its not actually in the build.
Any suggestions on how to increase his DPR, his reach or his slide distance? That last one is very hard to do with an implement attack.

If I wanted to put it up for the DPR kings, I could ditch the defensive feats. I'm still a bit fuzzy on ki focus rules, so help me out?

1. Say I wanted to trade out the lightning ki focus for a screaming bow, resounding thunder and a tempest whetstone. Then five storms would be a close burst 2 and deal extra lightning damage to other targets each time I hit one target. However, that would lose the slide from the superior ki focus, wouldn't it? You can have the ki focus properties OR the weapon properties on a monk implement attack, right? Any idea how to gain that back? I suppose you could MC Psion and take Controlling Advantage...

2. Trade the lightning ki focus for something else and channel the whole thing through one of his daggers and give it a tempest whetstone. That would increase the lightning damage and let you use a different ki focus while still having the increased slide. You could use a fire ki focus, choose revenant tiefling, take MC wizard, hellfire arcanist, hellfire blood and prince of hell theme for a +2 to accuracy and +4 to damage rolls, increasing the DPR significantly. The only question is, if there is not other enemy within 2 squares of your target, does the attack still count as a lightning attack? Maybe you could have a lightning dagger as a backup, which would lose the extra slide, but this isn't a single target build anyway.

Other options?
Minor point, you mention a Shielding Ki Focus in the section about defenses but its not actually in the build.

Mountain ki foci are forceful and shielding, increasing slides and defenses.

Mountain ki foci are forceful and shielding, increasing slides and defenses.

Ah, so it is. Missed that when I looked up Mountain last night.
Any suggestions on how to increase his DPR, his reach or his slide distance? That last one is very hard to do with an implement attack.

If I wanted to put it up for the DPR kings, I could ditch the defensive feats. I'm still a bit fuzzy on ki focus rules, so help me out?

1. Say I wanted to trade out the lightning ki focus for a screaming bow, resounding thunder and a tempest whetstone. Then five storms would be a close burst 2 and deal extra lightning damage to other targets each time I hit one target. However, that would lose the slide from the superior ki focus, wouldn't it? You can have the ki focus properties OR the weapon properties on a monk implement attack, right? Any idea how to gain that back?

2. Trade the lightning ki focus for something else and channel the whole thing through one of his daggers and give it a tempest whetstone. That would increase the lightning damage and let you use a different ki focus while still having the increased slide. You could use a fire ki focus, choose revenant tiefling, take MC wizard, hellfire arcanist, hellfire blood and prince of hell theme for a +2 to accuracy and +4 to damage rolls, increasing the DPR significantly. The only question is, if there is not other enemy within 2 squares of your target, does the attack still count as a lightning attack? Maybe you could have a lightning dagger as a backup, which would lose the extra slide, but this isn't a single target build anyway.

Other options?

Staggering + tempest should work, shouldn't it?
How about bludgeoning expertise?  (or is that weapon only).

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Weapon only on both, actually. I was surprised too.

Also, MC psion with controlling advantage works to add a slide if you don't take the tiefling wizard route.
Actually, going revenant tiefling with hellfire blood, mc psion, controlling advantage, fire ki focus, prince of hell, tempest whetstone will net you +2 to accuracy and an additional slide, which is pretty awesome for a DPR build.
Screaming bow doesn't work with resounding thunder, due to the wording.

Ki weapons don't stack, as its the same game element

Mountain ki focus doesn't add to fob slide, as it lacks the implement keyword.
Why doesn't screaming bow work with resounding thunder?

Bonuses from same named game element don't stack, but it's not a bonus, it's just extra damage.

Mountain ki focus doesn't add FoB slides, but I hadn't planned on it.

Controlling Advantage, however, does increase slides from FoB, since it's not attacks, it's all slides with CA. Which is awesome.
Screaming Bow doesn't add the Thunder keyword till after you've hit, which is to late to enlarge. Just part of the wonkiness of keyword timing being handwaved by the devs rather than acknowledged and clarified.
This build is full of questionnable stuff.

You using a ki focus and nimble blade.

Ki weapons give 2 extra damage no matter the number you have. Otherwise concealment and total concealment also stack.

Move is being interpreted in a fasion that hasnt been standard since storm pillar came out.

Oh, and youre using fork lightning ki focus on a burst attack.
You can have ki focused weapons as implements. Counts as attacking through both, if I understand the monk implement rules correctly, so that would let Nimble Blade work.

Ki weapons not stacking would only remove 2 damage from the build. That's manageable.

I'm going with the interpretation of move that's consistent with the DPR kings thread champion, I wasn't aware there was a controversy there. Of course if that's not how it works, this doesn't work at all.

The fork lightning... I screwed up there. I had originally worked with Lion's Den and changed after I realized more targets would be better for DPR than slightly more damage on a slide. The DPR version works around that issue.

I've added a DPR version to the original post. Keeping the ki weapon in there for right now, I believe it's at 120 DPR with CA (granted after first hit) and at least one other enemy hit in the blast, which with CA is a guaranteed hit at average level 16 defenses according to this reference table I found.

EDIT: CRAP. I was working off level 11 defenses. That will significantly lower DPR. Please ignore the calculations until that gets corrected.
Move: To leave one square and enter another. I'm not sure what Kender is talking about, that has been explicit since PHB3 and is still explicit in the RC. Forced or not.

Ki Weapons stack. They aren't a bonus. Comparison to Concealment is fallacious, Concealment has specific rules.

I'd be more inclined to say the build is full of complex things and monkey missed a few points.
Thank you for your help, Alcestis. I thought move and ki weapons worked that way.

Could you give the DPR build a look-over and help me understand where I went wrong? I should update the DPR calculations later today, it should only be 10% lower than my original estimations.

About Screaming Bow, I thought anything that would trigger on a hit gets to be added to the keywords? Mindbite Scorn for instance adds the Psychic keyword to warlock attacks, even though it's only added when it hits. I was even given the bow as an example in the main simple questions thread when I'd asked how to add thunder to monk attacks.
Thank you for your help, Alcestis. I thought move and ki weapons worked that way.

Could you give the DPR build a look-over and help me understand where I went wrong? I should update the DPR calculations later today, it should only be 10% lower than my original estimations.

About Screaming Bow, I thought anything that would trigger on a hit gets to be added to the keywords? Mindbite Scorn for instance adds the Psychic keyword to warlock attacks, even though it's only added when it hits. I was even given the bow as an example in the main simple questions thread when I'd asked how to add thunder to monk attacks.

The timing of adding keywords is heavily debated. But the only official thing we have is a dev twitter stating that extra damage from a weapon whose crit dice are thunder damage would add the keyword, but after the hit. It is simpler to say "If a power has the fire keyword, it has the fire keyword even if it misses, right? So why if it would have done Thunder if it hit, whats the difference?" Most people play it that way for simplicities sake, but it is not necessarily RAW. Splitting the timing very finely and adding things only when they trigger makes more sense by the actual rules, but is finicky.
Yeah, I was remembering the original storm pillar discussion over move, which was agreed had a volutary meaning at that time. However, storm pillar got errataed to keep the voluntary meaning, and move got changed to refer to movement. So yeah, move works with forced movement now.

As for the ki weapons, there are a bunch places were it is specified that same game element don't stack. Extra damage doesn't seem to be one of them, but it also doesn't have much coverage. Thus, there also are no rules saying they do stack. Also getting a single +2 to fob damage also may fulfill all of them, unless you apply these properties sequentially.
As for the ki weapons, there are a bunch places were it is specified that same game element don't stack.

Not true. There is one place: bonuses. That's it.
Look at penalties.
Look at penalties.

Suppose I should have specified I meant "The bonus and penalty rules specifically, which are found on page 27 of the RC, and are the only game element where that exists, all of one sentence each, that specifies anything of the sort."
Alright guys, I've finally sat down and taken a crack at calculating DPR.

average AC 30 at 16 without CA
(.60*(4.5+28+47+2)+.05*(8+48+47+2+10.5)+.65(5+4+2(7+7)) = 48.9+5.775+24.05 = 78.725 average DPR with flurry (first 3 targets)
(.60*(4.5+28+47+2)+.05*(8+48+47+2+10.5) = 48.9+5.775 = 54.675 average DPR without flurry (targets 4-8)
(.60*(4.5+19+42)+.05*(8+36+42+10.5)+.65(5+4+(7+7)) = 39.3+4.825+14.95 = 59.075 average single target DPR

average AC 30 at 16 with CA
(.75*(4.5+28+47+2)+.05*(8+48+47+2+10.5)+.8(5+4+2(7+7)) = 61.125+5.775+29.6 = 96.5 average DPR with flurry (first 3 targets)
(.75*(4.5+28+47+2)+.05*(8+48+47+2+10.5) = 61.125+5.775 = 66.9 average DPR without flurry (targets 4-8)
(.75*(4.5+19+42)+.05*(8+36+42+10.5)+.8(5+4+(7+7)) = 49.125+4.825+18.4 = 72.35 average single target DPR

Can someone check my math? Also, how the heck do I turn this to average overall DPR? There's so many conditions, from number of enemies hit to number of enemies nearby or within 1 square of the vortex... If you hit all 8 enemies around you, you'd deal an extra 14 damage to each one. How do I calculate that? I mean... is there a standard modifier for average number of adjacent enemies?
There's a standard multiplier for a friendly blurst 1.

guides
Power
my builds

But how do you calculate adding in 2 extra damage for each other target hit in that burst 1?

I'm sorry mellored, you know a lot more about this than I do. Could I ask you to try to turn my DPR calculations into a KPR number, including all the dependencies (hit X targets, if X is less than 3 deal flurry damage to other target, if X is greater than 3 don't deal flurry damage to X-3 enemies...)? I'm completely lost.
Burst 1 has 1.6 (or something) multiplier.  Which means you're hitting 2 targets 60% of the time.  (again double check what we agreed upon).

So you'd add .6*2 = 1.2 extra damage. 
And you'd deal primary DPR + (secondary DPR * .6) damage.
or 96 * .6 = 57.6 (secondary) + 72 (primary) = 129.6

KPR = DPR / (8*lvl+24)
or 129.6 / 152 = 0.852631579

guides
Power
my builds

I took a look at the DPR Kings doc. Friendly burst 3x3 has 2.178 valid targets, with CA (pretty safe with deadly draw, if I hit anyone last round I've got CA), so that would be .8^2.17800 = 0.61 odds of hitting both? For 61% chance of hitting both? So 1.22 extra damage?

You lost me at that second line though. How does that accommodate for flurry damage?
Deadly Draw is enemy-specific.  Only the ones you slide adjacent to you grant you CA.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Agreed, but if I hit them with the attack or the flurry they're slid. I hit anything last round, they and three other enemies are all slid around me, granting CA to me for at least 4 enemies assuming I only hit one. That's more than the average targets in a 3x3 friendly square, so it's pretty safe to assume I've hit enough to have CA for those enemies, right? I apologize as I'm having trouble understanding the math or the logic behind it.

In any case, without CA I still hit 65% of the time, so that would increase my DPR from mellored's initial calculations, right?
Ah, I forgot about the flurry slide, yeah that should fill in the gaps on missed targets.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Agreed, but if I hit them with the attack or the flurry they're slid. I hit anything last round, they and three other enemies are all slid around me, granting CA to me for at least 4 enemies assuming I only hit one. That's more than the average targets in a 3x3 friendly square, so it's pretty safe to assume I've hit enough to have CA for those enemies, right? I apologize as I'm having trouble understanding the math or the logic behind it.

In any case, without CA I still hit 65% of the time, so that would increase my DPR from mellored's initial calculations, right?

My calculations where more of an example.

You have primary target damage, and you have secondary target damage.

Burst 1 will be 2.178 targets.

Primary  = 1 target. 
Secondary = the other 1.178 target(s).

guides
Power
my builds

Ok, let me take another crack at it.

Ignoring the 1.2 extra damage for now, let's calculate damage based solely on primary hit. That's 2.178 enemies, and an average damage per hit of 66.9 damage without a flurry including 80% hit chance. So initial damage overall would be 66.9 * 2.178 or 145.7 DPR to start.

Then, there's a 1-(.8^2.178) chance of missing all targets and not flurrying. For the other 61%, we calculate flurry. So that's .61 * 2.178 * 37 damage for a secondary damage of 49.15 DPR.

So that gives you a total damage of 194.85 DPR, and then you divide it by 2.178 to get the damage per enemy, and divide that again by (8*level)+24 HP per monster, and you get (194.85/2.178)/152 and you get a KPR of .588 per target, and 1.28 KPR total? Did I do that correctly?

Christ, I'm so confused.
Sign In to post comments