Looking ahead to next season...

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm already thinking about my next Encounters character. usually, I like to roll up one for each role and play whichever is needed most at the table. I have a few classes I've never played before and would like to try, but I also want to see what the new stuff in the Elemental Chaos book looks like.

Anyone else thinking of their next character?
RS: 60/60 CS: 60/60 RotS: 60/60 U:60/60 CotF: 60/60 BH: 60/60 A&E: 51/60 TFU: 53/60 LotF: 37/60 KotOR: 37/60 CW: 26/40 IE: 31/40 JA: 17/40 G@W: 7/40 DT: 7/40 Good trades with: Lily_Wan, creme_brule, suki_jedi_apprentice, Ephant_Mon

My son has already built paladin of Avandra fey beast tamer with displacer beast roughly based off Finn and Jake from Adventure Time.  I told him if he doesn't say "That's so math" or "Mathematical" at least every 10 minutes, he's walking home.  And our DM for next session is a middle school math teacher.

My daughter just wants to play a warforged.  And be melee based.  I'm thinking warlord, avengerer, or berserker.  But everything she touches is a slice of cool.  she's gone eladrin knight, elf hunter, half-elf warpriest, revanent sorcerer and been great at all of them.  The warpriest was particularly great - lots of healing and temps all over, but when she dropped dazzling ray and dark reaping in a single attack and one-shotted a xivort in a radiant/necrotic blast a few weeks back... moment of greatness.

For me, I'm thinking take crappy race and a crappy class and min/max them into something awesome.  Kinda along the lines of: sweet pork - bad, sour pork - bad, sweet&sour pork - very very good.  Gnome bladesinger, anyone?  I'm a monster, rawr.

TjD

I really like my eladrin knight so far (don't get to play it enough) and my half-elf warpriest of Amaunator.

I was thinking of a halfling barbarian, but now, maybe I should go with gnome and the fey beast tamer theme. I could reflavor one of the companions as a badger named Francis.

I haven't had a chance to play any of the psionic classes yet. I'm considering making a battlemind and a psion. No ardent, though. I made sure my table knows I won't be playing a leader next season.
RS: 60/60 CS: 60/60 RotS: 60/60 U:60/60 CotF: 60/60 BH: 60/60 A&E: 51/60 TFU: 53/60 LotF: 37/60 KotOR: 37/60 CW: 26/40 IE: 31/40 JA: 17/40 G@W: 7/40 DT: 7/40 Good trades with: Lily_Wan, creme_brule, suki_jedi_apprentice, Ephant_Mon
I've been playing a wilden battlemind this season and it has been fantastic.  Except when you get dazed.  Battleminds rely on reactions and minor actions, so daze really, really stinks.
TjD
I've played at other tables with Battleminds, and they seem like fun, especially once you get Lightning Rush. That isn't until 7th level (I think), though.
Hopefully we'll know very soon exactly what stuff is officially allowed for next season.  I'm really eager to get my hands on the next mod.  Has anyone else received it yet?  I'm hoping my FLGS has it by next week at the latest but I don't even know when the next season is supposed to officially start - I assume the week after next.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

My guess is it would be material from Heroes of the Fallen Lands, ... Forgotten Kingdoms, and ... Elemental Chaos.
I really dig Heroes of the Elemental Chaos. It was a judge reward at the D&DXP convention and it is filled with exciting elemental-themed content. I think players will have a lot of fun using that book. I would likely use it as a primary source (instead of just dipping into it) as it has a lot of really fun class builds.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

That's good news. I hope my shop has a copy when I get their tonight.

Any good themes for a halfling barbarian?  
Any DM rewards for the next season?

I'm waffling on whether to play or DM. I kinda want to take a season off, recharge and not have to go every Wednesday (I'd like a weekday to myself) ... but I'm a sucker for a good bribe, or good adventure. 

I'm waffling on whether to play or DM. I kinda want to take a season off, recharge and not have to go every Wednesday (I'd like a weekday to myself) ... but I'm a sucker for a good bribe, or good adventure. 

Hahaha, I'm right there with you Vael. I was hoping to play this current season, but the DM has become rather flaky as it nears an end. Plus the players don't much care for him, so I'll be thrust back into the DM's seat. When does Sior get a break??? I just wanna play!!!

Yeah Right, WotC has never sent our store any of the rewards they promised. We as GMs have gotten nothing safe for the mod (which always hits E-bay when I am done with it) and any left over fortune cards. I like how after not sending stores the mod they promised for running Neverwinter they did not even bother to promise GMs anything for running the "chaos" that is Crystal Cave. I am glad I am done running.

I am waiting to see what the new classes are. I think I might run a Bezerker, Hybrid Thief Warden, or one of the new monks.
I like how after not sending stores the mod they promised for running Neverwinter they did not even bother to promise GMs anything for running the "chaos" that is Crystal Cave. I am glad I am done running.

1) My store got the reward mods, as have many others. Yours either didn't or, as mentioned in an old thread, you weren't given them from the organizer. In the case of the former:
2) WotC said from the start that there were limited quantities and would be sent to the stores who met the requirements (reported the events within the appropriate window) in a first come first served basis.
So the vemon you issue on WotC is not very well based, my friend.
(Also, I recall that was one big reward after a couple of seasons of nothing but those damned status markers. So it'll probably be a while before they have a big reward for the DMs of Encounters.) 
I've quite liked the rewards I've received, though the error in last year's calendar was quite embarrassing.
It was a really cool calendar, but November 31 was a very amusing day.
Just got the new season. Looking forward to cracking it open. Only 12 weeks, including session 0, so 11 actual gameplay sessions. And now! To read!
Did we have prior knowledge that there would be a session 0?  I told my players to show up with new characters next week.  I really wish there was better communication from WOTC on this stuff.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

At least you got your copy. The store I run for has not received our copy yet. Luckily I was running two weeks behind so we are playing the last session of Crystal Caves next week and skipping the session 0.
Eh. Not a fan of session 0. :/

My shop didn't get theirs yet, either.
The release of this module did indeed herald a couple announcements that week 0 is a permanent change to the Encounters design.

I'm a little surprised at the 12 week design though.
That should take us right up to the release of the Dungeon Survival Handbook (May 15), and the Encounters season to correspond with that.
The release of this module did indeed herald a couple announcements that week 0 is a permanent change to the Encounters design.

I'm a little surprised at the 12 week design though.

Where were the announcements made?

@feetz_grande on Twitter

If I had a module from one of my DMs, I'd give a specific page number, but I know that in the first couple pages of the module it was mentioned as well as one of the sheets to the organizers.
I know the groups at my store have said they are going to ignore the 0 session and start with the first week. For us it is a waste as most players come an hour or two before to work on thier characters. As long as we get a more coherent storyline then I am happy.
I, for one, am thankful for a Session 0. First, because we haven't even gotten the module in at the store yet, not to mention the new book, Heroes of Elemental Chaos. A Session 0 will give us time to use that book as a resource if we want to for making characters this seaon. Undoubtedly there will be a renown rewarded for using themes or having elemental abilities only found in this book.

I also had the honor of helping some people new to DnD create characters on Session 0 of last season, so for new players who may not have time to make it an hour or two before the first session starts, it's a nice place to learn and create.

It can also be a nice break for your DM who has prepared and worked hard every week making DnD Encounters awesome.

It's cool if that's not for everyone, if you have mostly returning players, or players that always have their ducks in a row. But I do think it is a nice option for those with differing circumstances, and no two stores are the same.  
By popular demand my players are continuing their characters from the Crystal Caves.  We'll use session 0 to tweak them a bit with material from HoEC.   I'm currently developing an introductory encounter to foreshadow the main plot rather than skipping ahead to session 1 so they'll have a fight and not be off schedule.

There is a renown bonus for making an elementalist or sha'ir and a few HoEC items in the magic item generation table, but  I haven't found any other tie ins for player level thematic interactions from Elemental Chaos in the module.
By popular demand my players are continuing their characters from the Crystal Caves.  We'll use session 0 to tweak them a bit with material from HoEC.   I'm currently developing an introductory encounter to foreshadow the main plot rather than skipping ahead to session 1 so they'll have a fight and not be off schedule.

There is a renown bonus for making an elementalist or sha'ir and a few HoEC items in the magic item generation table, but  I haven't found any other tie ins for player level thematic interactions from Elemental Chaos in the module.

Just being elemntalists or sha'ir get the renown bonus? There's nothing about being "elemental" through theme, race, or whatever? (Kinda like being fey in this season.) That's kind of a bummer...

Just being elemntalists or sha'ir get the renown bonus? There's nothing about being "elemental" through theme, race, or whatever? (Kinda like being fey in this season.) That's kind of a bummer...

Nope.  Create an elementalist or sha'ir for 2 renown points (awardable once per season) is all there is for renown.  Possibly all there is as a tie in for the whole module,  I haven't found anything else in the session text.
Session 0 can be hard to attract your regular players, but it is a great opportunity to bring in new players to the program.

Here in Nashville, we have installed Wi Fi at the Game Store, and players will be able to use DDI Character Builder to create new characters at the Session 0 event. All the DMs subscribe to DDI, so we have enough accounts/laptops to get everyone's new character generated. One DM is also bringing a printer to print the character sheets! Of course, there are people that love the old fashioned way of character creation, so we have all the books for character creation as well.

So, we have all the materials. How do we get new players in the store??

We have set up a Meetup Group (www.meetup.com/dnd-49),
we have a Yahoo Group (games.groups.yahoo.com/group/NashvilleDa...),
we have a presence on Facebook (www.facebook.com/#!/groups/1722846795099...), 

and we have a post at Pen and Paper Games (www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthre...).

We have grown over the past few seasons. We are averaging 17 players a session. We are also experiencing a large increase in younger players. We have an all "kids" table now almost every week!
We have 4 DMs, with one acting as a back-up DM when needed.

We have also created a short level encounter to run at the Session 0, so players can have an opportunity to test out their new characters!

What other ideas do you have to increase awareness and get new gamers in our stores?

Don Cee - DDE Coordinator - The Game Keep

Check out the D&D Encounters: The Elder Elemental Eye – Preview now available at Dungeon’s Master.com.

Visit Dungeon's Master.com – The D&D Resource Blog For DMs and Players.
http://dungeonsmaster.com
Follow me on Twitter @ameron_dm

When I phoned Customer Service, in a panic because we hadn't recieved the module (and didn't have a DM, but different story) they just said it was a week off. No mention of it being a week 0 Surprised

Check out the D&D Encounters: The Elder Elemental Eye – Preview now available at Dungeon’s Master.com.

Nice write-up. I had no idea this would take place in the Forgotten Realms, and it might be of interest to many of our regular LFR players (including me).
I see that WOTC has added Heroes of Elemental Chaos materials to DDI Character Builder!
Thanks WOTC!