Sudden Disappearance

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
i'd like to know what does not return when using Sudden Disappearance
do tokens return ? and do auras attached to anything come back in the same way attached ?

Tokens do not return, thanks to the following from the Comprehensive Rules:

110.5g A token that has left the battlefield can‘t move to another zone or come back onto the
battlefield. If such a token would change zones, it remains in its current zone instead. It ceases
to exist the next time state-based actions are checked; see rule 704.

When the exiled Auras return, they can be attached to the same creatures again, or new ones (of their controller's choosing, of course).  Note that you can even attach Auras to a creature with shroud this way -- this is because Auras only target as spells on the stack. 
Actually, Auras that come back can't be attached to anything else that's coming back at the same time, because their owner needs to choose what to attach them to as they're about to enter the battlefield, and at that time, nothing has come back yet.

The player must choose a legal thing for them to enchant, so if your opponent had a (let's say) Spectral Flight on one of his creatures, he'll have to put it on a creature that's already on the battlefield when it comes back...even though all that's left are yours.

Any Auras that can't be legally attached to anything will remain in exile permanently.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Also, any card, that leaves exile before the delayed trigger to bring it back resolves (Riftsweeper, Pull from Eternity), or never went there in the first place (like a commander going to the command zone instead), will not be returned.
How about creatures with Undying? If I exile my undying creature that had previously returned with a +1/+1 counter on it, will it return to the battlefield without the counter (counters are eliminated right? Just like tokens I believe), thus allowing its trigger ability to activate for a 2nd time once it dies again?

Double faced cards always return face up?

So in regards to auras, if I exile my cards, and two of them were enchanted with Pacifism, since those are cards under my opponent's control, would they immediately go to his graveyard instead? What if my creature cards had (mine or his) equipment attached?

Thanks y'all,

Jason and friends
How about creatures with Undying? If I exile my undying creature that had previously returned with a +1/+1 counter on it, will it return to the battlefield without the counter (counters are eliminated right? Just like tokens I believe), thus allowing its trigger ability to activate for a 2nd time once it dies again?

Yep

Yep

So in regards to auras, if I exile my cards, and two of them were enchanted with Pacifism, since those are cards under my opponent's control, would they immediately go to his graveyard instead?

Yep

What if my creature cards had (mine or his) equipment attached?

His Equipment would remain on the battlefield, unattached, under his control.  Yours would be exiled, then return, unattached, under your control.
Cannot be relied upon^
Counters get removed when an object changes zones.

Yes, DFCs always ETB sunny side up (unless an effect is saying otherwise).

Equipment will come back unattached. 
DCI Level 1 Judge Please autocard: [c]Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon[/c] = Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon [c=Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon]Skittles[/c] = Skittles Cards do what they say they do. No more. No less.

No permanent will take its counters into exile. This is unlike tokens that go there before vanishing, at no time does the card in exile exist with counters. When they return, they will be brand new objects without those counters.

Yes.

So in regards to auras, if I exile my cards, and two of them were enchanted with Pacifism, since those are cards under my opponent's control, would they immediately go to his graveyard instead? What if my creature cards had (mine or his) equipment attached?

The auras will be put into the graveyard as state based actions for not enchanting anything. So they end up in the yard alomst (!) immediately. Equipment will be exiled as well (if the targeted player controls it), but cards in exile cannot be equipped. When the equipment returns, it'll be unattached. Equipment the targeted player doesn't control but somehow ended up on his creatures will stay on the field, unattached.
Cool, thanks guys.

So based on zammm's previous post, could I enchant my own creature with Pacifism, exile via Sudden Disappearance, then have the aura return onto the battlefield and be able to attach to my opponent's hexproof or shroud creature, like a Lumberknot? I assume if this is possible, it however wouldn't be possible to attach the white aura to protection from white creature, like Phyrexian Crusader. Or could it attach but not do anything?

Thx
No permanent will take its counters into exile.

Just have to nitpick here...
Cool, thanks guys.

So based on zammm's previous post, could I enchant my own creature with Pacifism, exile via Sudden Disappearance, then have the aura return onto the battlefield and be able to attach to my opponent's hexproof or shroud creature, like a Lumberknot? I assume if this is possible, it however wouldn't be possible to attach the white aura to protection from white creature, like Phyrexian Crusader. Or could it attach but not do anything?

Thx

Correct, the returning aura can be attached to any legal object. Protection, however, makes it illegal to be enchanted by an aura with the stated characteristic, so the aura cannot be attached to the protected object.
Cool, thanks guys.

So based on zammm's previous post, could I enchant my own creature with Pacifism, exile via Sudden Disappearance, then have the aura return onto the battlefield and be able to attach to my opponent's hexproof or shroud creature, like a Lumberknot? I assume if this is possible, it however wouldn't be possible to attach the white aura to protection from white creature, like Phyrexian Crusader.

Correct.
Or could it attach but not do anything?

No.  A white Aura cannot be attached to a pro-white object.
DCI Level 1 Judge Please autocard: [c]Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon[/c] = Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon [c=Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon]Skittles[/c] = Skittles Cards do what they say they do. No more. No less.
Thanks guys

1) correct you can get around shroud / hexproof.
2) It COULD go on, but would then go to the graveyard by SBA because Pro white would not allow the attachment.
It appears I am incorrect

Sorry to partially hijack, but what about planeswalkers, would they return with full loyalty?

And how about Mikaeus, the Lunarch, I'm guessing he'd come back instantly dead unless you had a Honor of the Pure returning as well or would I be wrong in that?
They would return with their starting loyalty and you are correct with your statement about Mikaeus.

I dream of Beer Head Armies.

Autocard is our friend. [c‍]Urborg Mindsucker[/‍c] → Urborg Mindsucker

Is there a specifac order things return to the field?

Say for example I have Warstorm Surge on the field and exile my own permanents.    Can the Warstorm Surge return before any of my monsters so that its effect is triggered?   Or for rule purpouses is everything returned to the field simultaneously?

I tried to figure out how to link the cards gatherer data but it didnt seem to want to work...  sorry
Is there a specifac order things return to the field?

No. Everything returns simultaneously.
Say for example I have Warstorm Surge on the field and exile my own permanents.    Can the Warstorm Surge return before any of my monsters so that its effect is triggered?   Or for rule purpouses is everything returned to the field simultaneously?

Warstorm surge will "see" anything that enters the battlefield at the exact same time that it does, and will trigger for each.
Ok I had one other question about this card.     Combining it with Sundial of the Infinite is common knowledge.   Are there any other ways to counter the delayed trigger effect?    Im working out ways to fit this card into as many possible combo attacks in my deck as I can but as much as i wrack my brain about it im having trouble coming up with ways to permanently exile my opponents monsters with it.

Perhaps a card which would combine the exile pile with the graveyard?   Since they wouldnt be exiled anymore would that prevent them from returning to the field?
Stifle and similar effects can counter delayed triggers. If you're looking for things to combo with sudden disappearance, you'll probably have better luck if you ask in the Cards and Combos forum.
Ok how about Sudden Disappearance + Arc Runner?

Both resolve their effects at the beginning of the end phase.     Does Arc Runner get sacrificed as soon as it returns or is it safe for a turn and go at the beginning of the opponents end phase?
When the end step begins the Arc Runner is not on the battlefield it's ability will not trigger until your opponents end step begins.
MTG Rules Advisor