The Dungeon Master Experience - Shiny New Thing

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Dungeon Master Experience
Shiny New Thing
by Chris Perkins

Not every campaign comes to a satisfying end. When it does happen, it's a rare thrill—a testament to the dedication and effort of everyone involved. I commend any DM who can keep a gaming group (including himself or herself) entertained long enough to see a campaign through to its natural conclusion.

Talk about this column here.
Are we to read that, in the D&D Next setting, the Feywild and Shadowfell will be wiped out? I mean, he plans on using Valoreign as a playtest world for for the edition...
not really sure; they said they are bringing 'the great wheel' back in some form
The Feywild and Shadowfell and the whole 4e cosmology will always be my default campaign setting regardless of what edition I use in the future. It's so simple to understand and gives DM's and players a lot of creative room in which to make their own stories.

The great wheel was obscure at best and downright confusing at worst. It was another form of system mastery for the players to wrap their heads around, and the 4e cosmology was a welcome simplification.

I'd be surprised if the Feywild is removed in 5e, the Feywild book has received rave reviews and is viewed by many as the best 4e product to date. My friend who runs a FLGS said that he sold every copy he had, most of them to non-4e players.

Hopefully this is just Chris Perkins having a bit of fun with his campaign world and not a sign of things to come.
Yeah, please don't take the notes from my experimental campaign setting as a harbinger of things to come. I was tinkering with the notion of the Feywild and Shadowfell bleeding into the natural world (as opposed to being separate planes), but no one around the office has talked about blowing up the Feywild or the Shadowfell.
Yeah, please don't take the notes from my experimental campaign setting as a harbinger of things to come. I was tinkering with the notion of the Feywild and Shadowfell bleeding into the natural world (as opposed to being separate planes), but no one around the office has talked about blowing up the Feywild or the Shadowfell.

Cool. And great article about running campaigns and using those random thoughts which occur to us all the time.

Member of Grognards for 4th Edition
Thanks for dropping in, Chris.  And I thought it was a pretty nice article.  I have the shiny new thing problem from time to time myself.  
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.
I have the shiny new thing problem from time to time myself.  

I only have this problem when they release new material... every time they release new material!
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.

Oi Perkins! Get your hands off my idea! My campaign world of the last three years has the fey and shadowplanes at war in the mortal world, fighting over territory, and altering it as the frontlines move. You can get from one to the other by just walking. I like those planes so much I wanted them nearby and more accessible/relevant. 

Only kidding though, you can have whatever you like in your games, you're my hero. 
Finally! Something to read! RPG Treehouse