PEACH Level 8 Invoker/Ranger Hybrid

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have built a character for this months Lair Assault (No spoilers please) and the main thing I know is that it will be 20 rounds long and very hard. With that in mind I figured most of my attacks would be at wills so with some advice from other members of this forum I came up with this.

The idea is Divine Bolts as a RBA, Rapid Shot hopefully with at least 2 enemies within 10 feet of each other, and my GM has confirmed that as long as I target each enemy in the Rapid Shot area with 1 bolt the second bolt can target any enemy within the range of 10. Accuracy is an issue even with the Goggles since with the -2 penalty from RS the bolts are +13 vs Ref 1d6 +13 damage.

Thoughts?

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Splitter, level 8
Wood Elf, Invoker/Ranger
Covenant Manifestation Option: Manifestation of Wrath
Hybrid Invoker Option: Hybrid Invoker Fortitude
Hybrid Ranger Option: Hybrid Ranger Fortitude
Associate: Trained Displacer Beast
Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Fey Beast Tamer

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 10, DEX 18, INT 11, WIS 22, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 10, DEX 14, INT 11, WIS 18, CHA 8

AC: 24 Fort: 18 Ref: 21 Will: 22
HP: 61 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 15

TRAINED SKILLS
Insight +16, Nature +18, Perception +18, Stealth +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +7, Arcana +4, Athletics +3, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +3, Heal +10, History +4, Intimidate +3, Religion +4, Streetwise +3, Thievery +7

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Hunter's Quarry  Power: Hunter's Quarry
Ranger Attack: Rapid Shot
Invoker Attack 1: Divine Bolts
Ranger Attack 1: Fox's Cunning
Invoker Attack 1: Brilliant Beacon
Invoker Attack 1: Thunder of Judgment
Ranger Utility 2: Invigorating Stride
Ranger Attack 5: Spitting-Cobra Stance
Invoker Utility 6: Demand Justice
Invoker Attack 7: Rain of Blood

FEATS
Level 1: Power of Skill
Level 2: Staff Expertise
Level 4: Archery Mastery
Level 6: Superior Implement Training (Accurate staff)
Level 8: Mark of Storm

ITEMS
Accurate staff of Ruin +2 x1
Bracers of the Perfect Shot (heroic tier) x1
Eagle Eye Goggles (heroic tier) x1
Rhythm Blade Widow's knife +1 x1
Siberys Shard of the Mage (heroic tier)
Cloak of Distortion +2 x1
Adventurer's Kit
Awakening Hide Armor +2 x1
====== End ======
I guess my only real question is what's the reasoning behind maintaining such a high level of dexterity for a build that doesn't use it for anything? 

If you thought about CON secondary and made the call that you prefer init (without battlewise), AC, and reflex over surges, Fort, and Riders, awesome. It's worth making that decision consciously, though. If you were on the front line, it would be a no-brainier, but casters can hide in the back some of the time. 
I guess my only real question is what's the reasoning behind maintaining such a high level of dexterity for a build that doesn't use it for anything? 

If you thought about CON secondary and made the call that you prefer init (without battlewise), AC, and reflex over surges, Fort, and Riders, awesome. It's worth making that decision consciously, though. If you were on the front line, it would be a no-brainier, but casters can hide in the back some of the time. 

I'd say having the Initiative is the big important thing for this build and there's not enough room for Battlewise. At higher levels it would make more sense.

I've also wondered at seeing this build if it might be more fun to play in a controller role with Clever Shot instead of Rapid Shot. Both way seem pretty valid.
Yes the high dex was for AC and Ref. I figured I could hang back but ranged attacks would still be a problem. Also the elf had an innate bonus to Dex and I wanted the init bonus from Sense Threat (Wood Elf). Not saying Con isn't better but that was my reasoning.
I'd use CON secondary, you don't really need dex for anything.  Nice build!
I checked the changes. If I switched to con over Dex and dropped the Auspicious Birth background I lose 3AC and 6HP, Thunder of Judgement gets slightly better, Rain of Blood gets much better of course. The lower HP effects my beast to though.
If you're using sense threat, dex does nothing for your init.  It's up to you of course, but with going con you could even switch from auspicious birth, lose 6 hp, and grab a perception bg for +2 initiative. 

Furthermore, the covenant riders for both thunder of judgment and rain of blood are fantastic. A melee monster pushed 1 square away from its target and dazed is ****ed if it can't charge something. +CON to hit for allies is worth sometimes aiming rain of blood more at your team than team monster.

Edit: losing 6 hp is a pretty big non-issue. It's only half a surge....which you gain two more of by going con.
Something very similar got posted about a month ago, but using Sense Threat for high initiative, and Wood Elf Reactive Stealth.  This is what I have saved from it, looks like Background and Theme are still open:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Peren, level 8
Wood Elf, Invoker/Ranger
Covenant Manifestation Option: Manifestation of Wrath
Hybrid Invoker Option: Hybrid Invoker Fortitude
Hybrid Ranger Option: Hybrid Ranger Fortitude

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 13, DEX 17, INT 8, WIS 22, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 13, DEX 13, INT 8, WIS 18, CHA 10

AC: 22 Fort: 19 Ref: 19 Will: 22
HP: 52 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 13

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +12, Athletics +9, Perception +18, Stealth +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +3, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +4, Heal +10, History +3, Insight +10, Intimidate +4, Nature +12, Religion +3, Streetwise +4, Thievery +6

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Hunter's Quarry  Power: Hunter's Quarry
Ranger Attack: Rapid Shot
Invoker Attack 1: Divine Bolts
Ranger Attack 1: Fox's Cunning
Invoker Attack 1: Binding Invocation of Chains
Ranger Utility 2: Invigorating Stride
Invoker Attack 3: Falling Leaves
Ranger Attack 5: Spitting-Cobra Stance
Invoker Utility 6: Shield of Light
Invoker Attack 7: Rain of Blood

FEATS
Level 1: Power of Skill
Level 2: Archery Mastery
Level 4: Superior Implement Training (Accurate staff)
Level 6: Mark of Storm
Level 8: Staff Expertise

ITEMS
Accurate staff of Ruin +2 x1
Eagle Eye Goggles (heroic tier) x1
Bracers of the Perfect Shot (heroic tier) x1
Genasi Soul Hide Armor +2 x1
Eberron Shard of Lightning (heroic tier)
Insight of the Vault
Amulet of Double Fortune +2 x1
====== End ======

Looks pretty much identical except on some of the item choices.  Genasi soul armor was nice for Promise of Storm, since Bolts does lightning damage.  Basically once you can cluster up enough enemies, hit the armor effect and start blasting, drawing more enemies into the Box of Death via the slides from Mark of Storm.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
I didn't mean dex added to sense threat, I meant since I was being elf anyway and was stuck with +2 to dex I could maximmize it. Another option would be to go with a Con/Wis race.
@op yes but a con/wis race wouldn't have sense threat, so your init would be in the pooper until battlewise. 

Genasi soul armor was nice for Promise of Storm, since Bolts does lightning damage.  Basically once you can cluster up enough enemies, hit the armor effect and start blasting, drawing more enemies into the Box of Death via the slides from Mark of Storm.

This brings up an interesting timing issue; if an enemy is not within your rapid shot area when you start rapid shotting, but enters that area partway through it, or as a result of it, is it added to the target list? I'd allow it because of the cool factor, but I know multiple DMs off the top of my head that would not.
@op yes but a con/wis race wouldn't have sense threat, so your init would be in the pooper until battlewise. 

Genasi soul armor was nice for Promise of Storm, since Bolts does lightning damage.  Basically once you can cluster up enough enemies, hit the armor effect and start blasting, drawing more enemies into the Box of Death via the slides from Mark of Storm.

This brings up an interesting timing issue; if an enemy is not within your rapid shot area when you start rapid shotting, but enters that area partway through it, or as a result of it, is it added to the target list? I'd allow it because of the cool factor, but I know multiple DMs off the top of my head that would not.

No because all targets must be declared when you use the ability.
Sign In to post comments