What optional modules would you like to see?

Disclaimer: I don't know if there is something similar out there, but if there is I didn't see it.

This thread is for posting the optional modules you would like to see in D&D Next. Not necessarily in the core rules, just modules which you think you would like to implement. I will start off with a few of mine, feel free to add yours but please remember that these should be the optional mechanics. If you don't like a module somebody else suggests, fine, but keep it for you since you will be able to easily ignore the module in any case.

• Karma System: any kind of module that gives storytelling tools or a sort of plot power

• Health System: a module that describes how to introduce healing surges / reserves and injuries into the game.

• No Vancian Spellcasting module: rules for taking out Vancian Spellcasting from classes which have it.

• War module: a module full of rules for handling large-scale wars.

• Items of Legacy module: a module that allows you to create balanced scaling items for the characters who have an important item in their background.

• Social Challenges module: a module that gives extra tools for handling social encounters.

• Tactical Combat module: this is going to be in Core and we know it; however I would like to see a module that isn't mutually exclusive with the core narrative-based combat, so that I can switch between the two easily.

• Leadership module: a module that regulates followers and castles and the like.

• Necromancy module: a module that gives balanced rules for creating and controlling an undead servant (or more?).

List away!
Are you interested in an online 4E game on Sunday? Contact me with a PM!
Show
Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept.
Ideas for 5E
I'd like to point out that you should not make the assumption that said optional modules won't be in PHB.  While it's certainly possible that some may end up in splatbooks, do not be too quick to assume that 'not core' means 'not in PHB'
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I'd like to point out that you should not make the assumption that said optional modules won't be in PHB.  While it's certainly possible that some may end up in splatbooks, do not be too quick to assume that 'not core' means 'not in PHB'

Yeah, for instance, the tactical combat module is confirmed to be in the PHB. Some others might be too (I'm crossing my fingers for the Vancian removal one, to be honest). However, this isn't the point of the thread: what unlikely but cool optional modules would you love to see?
Show
Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept.
Ideas for 5E

• A modern/future module (for those interested in a 5e version of D20 Modern/Future) with rules for modern firearms, vehicle combat, battlemechs, and starships.

• A module for horror games that introduces some kind of fear/horror mechanic (like Ravenloft had), as well as rules for playing vampires, werewolves, and such.

• A module that shows how to convert all existing magic systems in 5e (that way us non-vancy-pants can have our non-vancian cake, and the vancy-pants-ers can convert all the non-vancy stuff to vancian).

• An age of sail module for swashbuckling combat, ship-to-ship combat, and ship to sea monster combat.

• A module for creating magic items with rare components that have to be quested for (like AD&D 2e had) instead of just casting spells into the item.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

I would like the settings to offer modular mechanics.

Dark Sun would offer Defiling and Psionics.
Dragonlance would have Moon Magic, Tinkering, and Aerial Combat.
Ravenloft would have stuff like a fear mechanic.
Birthright would have mechanics on being a ruler and whatnot.        
CORE MORE, NOT CORE BORE!

• A modern/future module (for those interested in a 5e version of D20 Modern/Future) with rules for modern firearms, vehicle combat, battlemechs, and starships.

• A module for horror games that introduces some kind of fear/horror mechanic (like Ravenloft had), as well as rules for playing vampires, werewolves, and such.

• A module that shows how to convert all existing magic systems in 5e (that way us non-vancy-pants can have our non-vancian cake, and the vancy-pants-ers can convert all the non-vancy stuff to vancian).

• An age of sail module for swashbuckling combat, ship-to-ship combat, and ship to sea monster combat.

• A module for creating magic items with rare components that have to be quested for (like AD&D 2e had) instead of just casting spells into the item.

Oh, I'd love the swashbuckling one too! I had a pirate campaign that sort of died and I had to homebrew practically... everything.
Show
Ideas for 5E
A "simple" module, might be cool. Depending on how complicated the core game is, it might be cool to see a set of rules that strips back the complexity of the game. Like 1 or 2 pages of rules. For groups that just want to roleplay, with a light touch of rules, or for quick pickup games.
A module about firearms and steampunk technology.

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

If they're not in the core, I'd like to see:

Hirelings
Henchmen
Morale

What I'd really love to see is pre-made compatibility modules that you can apply to your game, that let you run old adventures without modification.
I was always hoping Modern d20 would make a comeback. Urban Arcana was pretty awesome. Who doesn"t want to fight half orc bikers in a rundown best buy or heck play as those half orc bikers?
Great ideas!  Maybe modules is actually a good plan.  I mean .5 seemed clever at the time until you had to buy the books again.  Essentials was more smack talk than anything else, imo.  But going forward a 5th edition that could conceivably reinvent itself through "modules".

I thought "modules" was already a D&D term?

Finer skill system, decimal points I am looking at you.
Leadership!!!
Keeps and Land as reward, the easy way.
Aerial combat, core should include this but additional details for those interested.
Evil.  I think core should return to Good, and then let DMs and players decide if they want to allow tieflings and "misunderstood" paladins.

• A class-less module, for building characters by purchasing features through a point system 

• A "freeform magic" module: removing spell lists and allowing players and DM to figure out on the fly magic effects and their cost

• A 'monsters game' module, allowing to convert monsters into playable races

• A low-magic module, to play with little or no magic availability

• A 'true grit' module: hp not scaling with levels, armors for damage reduction, severe outcomes for critical hits

• An Epic level module - since I think core should be just heroic and paragon

• A feat-less module, or a feat-module, whatever: as long as it is possible to take feats out of the game if you want to

Of course the cool thing about a modular system, is that we may very well see all of these modules, even if they are not official. The core game will be designed in such a way that it is easy to add modules. This means that houserules will be less risky than they previously were. It also means the game is actively encouraging house rules, which is also pretty cool.
Put me down for alternate Magic systems.  I don't mind the Vancian system but I like seeing other options;  Spell Points, Skill Based, Spell Component construction (See Monte Cook's d20 version of World of Darkness).
Of course the cool thing about a modular system, is that we may very well see all of these modules, even if they are not official. The core game will be designed in such a way that it is easy to add modules. This means that houserules will be less risky than they previously were. It also means the game is actively encouraging house rules, which is also pretty cool.

If you are right, I might spend a couple months tweaking the game and houseruling until I manage to create my perfect edition. :3
But I would still prefer to have some supported modules... Like an Incarnum module! A Dragon module for Dragon PCs! That kind of things would be cool to have... 
Show
Ideas for 5E
Rules for gritty injury and healing systems

Rules for heroic action-heroesque injury and healing systems

Rules for injury and healing systems that are somewhere inbetween there

Establishing that for all rolls there are meaningful consequences for both success or failure. No "if you fail your lockpicking roll you just haven't picked the lock". Also institute Burning Wheel's "Let it Ride" rule: you cannot reroll most checks unless the circumstances drastically change. This solves the problem of GM's sabotaging successful rolls and players just repeating the same skill checks over and over until they're successful.

An option for hero points, fate points, or a similar system that would allow players to modify die rolls, insert or change story elements, or avoid death through expenditure. So like M&M's hero points, Burning Wheel's Artha, Riddle of Steel's Drama, Fate's Fate Points etc.

An option for abstracted wealth or resources ala Burning Wheel or D20 modern where you roll to see if you can afford a purchase either with hard cash or through favors and influence. Also a system for determing if a character has a random item "on hand" would be great.

I agree with a wide variety of different modules for magic, including:

Vancian Casting
Freeform Casting with either spell points, encounter-based use, or rolls required to cast spells
Sword and Sorceryesque magic that corrupts and twists the user
Rituals! This is going to be included in the game anyway but make them good.
Any magic system used should be balanced with every other magic system, just in different ways.

Kingdom/Estate Management

Hirelings

Oaths and Pacts (Fey Pacts, Deals with Devils etc) that have actual mechanical weight.

Optional personality mechanics that reward characters for playing according to their character's personality. Bonuses to rolls, extra fate or fortune points etc. Just so long as it's not xp, so you can't duplicate the rewards by killing orcs.

A wide variety of different tactical modules including:

Grid Based Combat
Really Gritty Grid Based Combat (facing et. all)
Theater of the Mind Style Combat (heavily abstracted)
Zonal Combat like that used in Dresden Files or Diaspora
Riddle of Steelesque griddless combat with bonuses and penalties for reach, engagment distance etc.

Different options for races and such

Point-Based character generation

Lifepath character generation

Priority grid based character generation

So in essence, I desire a lot of different options!

I'd like to see a book dealing with NPC's and characters relations.  How to deal with getting information and rumors, selling items buying items, getting help, etc.  Giving bonuses or penalties to players roles for helping an NPC, giving gifts, races that do/ don't get along, bluffing an NPC too many times, etc.
i enjoyed the books in 3.x that where based on extreme climates.
and included optional rules for adventuring in those climates. 
I'd go for a Leadership module and mass combat module.
Also I really want rules to make monsterous PCs, so a module for that as well.
Nice post! 

I would love a called shot and critical tables subsystem. (My 2e critical tables have been really worn out :P)

Also mechanics for social encounters. I don't mean the bad imho feature of skill challenges. Something less forced and more flavorful. Something to enhance roleplaying. 

Another thing i would like to add is a module to create every theme you want. From the mundane to the exotic. If the themes feature is too simple i would like an advanced one like the carreer feature of warhammer frpg.

Finaly it would be great mechanics to rule a kingdom ala birtheright.   
A module that gives weapon classes the versatility, choices, narrative power, and plot power that caster classes have in core.

A module that gives the caster classes the versatility, choices, narrative power, and plot power that the weapon classes have in core. 

These two modules must be compatible with each other and with core, in the sense that a game can be run with neither, either, or both.

("Core" meaning "the default option in the PHB".) 
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose

Are they going to publish books of alternate modules?

I wonder if those will be themed, and if so how will they be broken down.  I could see a warfare book that talks about mass combat and PCs role in it.   Or extreme conditions like someone else suggested.

Vancian magic
Vancian magic

<3
Yeah, that'd be cool. But we already know Vancian is Core, so I want a module to get it out. I'd prefer to have a different system and a module to introduce it, but eh, it appears they are stuck with subpar choices for tradition purposes. 
Show
Ideas for 5E
Sign In to post comments