Looking for a way to stack lightning resist

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have 10 from my dragon soul resistance, but I need 5 more. Any ideas? I am working on a modification of the machine gun breathing dragonborn. Where I don't hit my allies with dragon breath, but instead hit them with a close blast at-will power. I have a 15 add to damage and only 10 resist so I really need to get 5 more to cover the base damage then I can just take the die roll damage.
Improved Dragon soul .. found it. However I had to give up hurl breath to get it 8(

Only level 11. 

So in case you were reading my post about a Duo team and me having to make 2 new characters. I am thinking about this dragonborn guy here and the Black hole style Drow/Cloud of darkness guy. My breath should be able to hit people in the cloud with no penalties right? That would be a good combo
I have 10 from my dragon soul resistance, but I need 5 more. Any ideas? I am working on a modification of the machine gun breathing dragonborn. Where I don't hit my allies with dragon breath, but instead hit them with a close blast at-will power. I have a 15 add to damage and only 10 resist so I really need to get 5 more to cover the base damage then I can just take the die roll damage.

You realize that you penetrate resistance equal to your resistance? =)

I was kinda wondering how that worked? Then how do people make the build work without take 20 damage every Breath?

The way I read it is that it resists any targets resistance up to the amount of my resistance. I am not the target. The target is the ally that was hit. I am only taking the damage as a surrogate, not switching status as a target. it may not be RAI, but it is RAW. There is nothing sayign that I become the target, only that I take the amount of damage they would take. Which leads me to think that if they are, say, insubstantial, that I would only take whatever damage they would have taken if they were to have taken that damage. That is the way it is written. it may not be intended, but there is no way to read it any other way because it doesn't say you becomce the target. There are plenty of powers that switch targets, but this is not one of them.
Also I was thinking about it. If I become the target I would also have the Hit line and effect line transfer to me. That is not the case.
Also I was thinking about it. If I become the target I would also have the Hit line and effect line transfer to me. That is not the case.

You do not become the target. Breath builds are complicated. The basic chassis is easy, living through it... tricky.
Right, so if I am not the target then I do not ignore resist due to my sorcerer feature. Because it says the ignore applies to targets.

Also to mitigate the damage and allow me to regain the power at any subsequent rounds if I happen to miss all allies one time, I am using Blazing starfall whichis only 1d4 +15. I use a Thunderbolt dagger which makes all dmg lightning and then boom, I have 15 resist to lightning now so I only take 1d4 and I regain my power. I have a healer on team so hopefully I should be fine in extended fights. I don't do as much damage as some of the other machine gun builds, but I do it early paragon (level 11) and without a lot of the trickery that comes with higher level items. If I didn't go the Scion PP route, I could have taken ninefold master and made it a sorcerer power and then taken that one Feat that gives me my str mod in temp HP's everytime I hit with an At-will. I would then have 5 temps every round. and basically take no damage because of temps. I don't have room for it because I took student of the plague and Plagued breath for an ongoing 5 damage. And I have an item that gives them a -2 to save rolls for that also.
You'd use your Standard on an At-Will every round? Want to make sure I'm reading that right, just because you're recycling DB doesn't make it "At-Will" (common mistake, so just checking).

I've played breath builds that did fine at level 11. Most of the theory op is done at higher levels because the build can be very feat intensive (mostly because of some interesting Epic feats). But something like 2d6+1 (con)+2 (Draconic Spellcaster)+7 (Sorcerous Soul) is an average of 17 damage, resist 10. War Wizardry makes that 7 average damaged, halved. Max of six. Though it makes it harder to hit your ally (I played with a Warden, his Reflex was awful. It was great.). Now the enemy is taking more then that because of of Draconic Arrogance and other add-ons and your Sorcerer spells are still useful on your Standard.
Yeah, I use DB as my minor, then standard is Blazing Starfall, which if I hit an ally I can regain my DB then I can ue it again that round if I don't want to move, or I can move and ave it for next round.
Sign In to post comments