02/01/2012 BoaB: "A Dog Lover's Guide to Dark Ascension"

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I like Genesis Wave better than Lead the Stampede, though I guess it wouldn't be as good if your mana makers got killed.
So... the trade-off for being an easier to kill Goblin War Drums is that it needs to be easily killed twice, huh?
It also needs to attack.
I can totally get on board with this article. Pyreheart wolf completely blew me out at the prerelease when my opponent played it on a board with three creatures on each side. Suddenly, all of my guys were almost worthless and each creature he played was a massive threat. I'll be interested to see where this goes.
I would cut the Pilgrims for something like Brimstone Volley. They feel like filler anyway. 
Between the avacyn's pilgrim and viridian emissary, it definitely seems possible to splash for one or two Thalia, Guardian of Thraben. She makes it a lot easier for you to race the aggro-control decks, since its much harder for them to sit back on a Geist and hope to counter your threats when those counters cost 1 more. Plus, she really doesn't hurt you at all, since you don't really want to cast Lead the Stampede turn 3 anyway.
Profile picture by Mackenzie Schubert www.plaincomics.com
btw im looking forward for the Scrapyard Salvo deck,
i build one myself so im curious for one to compare to. 
Yay for a deck with "budget" and "slightly less budget" versions!

And it looks like a pretty good deck too. Red-green aggro isn't really my thing, but it looks pretty good at what it does.
add a bit of burn into the deck would prob be better

im looking forward to decks that sport secrets of the dead and burning vengeance along with retrace mechanic or just flashback in general....

updated splinterfright deck? with so many awesome new additions from dark ascension

maybe a possible zombie tribe deck?

Why Avacyn's Pilgrim in a red-green deck?

The Pilgrims should probably be Birds of Paradise but that raises the cost of the deck $10.
Pilgrims just ramp so white is really just uncolored.  The other alternative would be a mana myr.

The Pilgrims should probably be Birds of Paradise but that raises the cost of the deck $10.
Pilgrims just ramp so white is really just uncolored.  The other alternative would be a mana myr.

They tap for colorless and attack for 1, seems good enough (and definitely better than the alternatives).

They tap for colorless and attack for 1, seems good enough (and definitely better than the alternatives).
Those avacyn's pilgrims dont fit at all. I'd much rather have 4 less 1 drops and add Moonscarred Werewolf on the two mana slot. It also helps with the ramp, and if they miss a spell, it allows you to cast an urabrask (or maybe even vorapede) on turn 3

Those avacyn's pilgrims dont fit at all. I'd much rather have 4 less 1 drops and add Moonscarred Werewolf on the two mana slot. It also helps with the ramp, and if they miss a spell, it allows you to cast an urabrask (or maybe even vorapede) on turn 3

Theres probably two ways to take the deck - as fast as possible, with a really low curve, or going more midrange. Of the mana dork options to put into a low curve deck, Pilgrims probably works the best, since it can attack and it only costs 1. More midrange builds may or may not be better than this build, but this build doesn't really come of as a midrange deck.

Theres probably two ways to take the deck - as fast as possible, with a really low curve, or going more midrange. Of the mana dork options to put into a low curve deck, Pilgrims probably works the best, since it can attack and it only costs 1. More midrange builds may or may not be better than this build, but this build doesn't really come of as a midrange deck.

Wolfbitten Captive?
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.

Wolfbitten Captive?

Might be better in the abstract in that slot, but I was talking mana dorks specifically

And more importantly, JVLs been trying to keep the "no budget" (my words, not his) crowd happy, so commons > uncommons > rares / mythics haha. That being said, is Wolfbitten Captive even a card? [pv]Wolfbitten Captive?!?! Reeeeeeeeaaally?!!!!"[/pv]
Ran this at FNM this week, and it was AWESOME.  Hellrider is a complete house.  I went 3-1, only lost those 2 games in match 3, and it was because I never saw a 'rider (got him to 3 in one game, and somewhat low in the other, so 'rider would absolutely have closed it).  Not at all difficult to pull a turn 4 win, especially if you can drop a mana dork turn 1, geist turn 2, and 'rider turns 3 and 4.

As far as a sideboard, I just threw something together at the last minute, but I feel like Blasphemous Act is not terrible here, against tokens or the like (I just got the Heroes after the night was over, so tokens probably would have been a problem if I had faced them).  Some burn would also be pretty nice, because I played some test games against my U/W humans, and Mirran Crusader kind of wrecks this (but I am one of the few who play it in my meta, so maybe that's not a problem).

Over all, I think this is a really fun deck, and I love how it plays.  Nothing like Lead the Stampedeing into 4 creatures!
Have playtested this deck against some others. It works fine if you can punch through enough early and mid-game damage. Bad match against anything with half-decent fliers or control, however. Fun to play though.