02/01/2012 Stf: "Inboxing Day: Dark Ascension"

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
The Jar of Eyeballs letter was absolutely hilarious.  It would be interesting to utilize the eyeball system with spiders as they usually have 8 eyes.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

That is indeed fantastically silly. Magnificent. I think I had some things to say about the rest of the article, but the eyeball-related discussions blew the rest of my brain away. Eyeballs!

Over on Multiverse, we had a discussion back in October of what would be the third number if creature cards had a third stat in the bottom-left corner. We came up with deck limit, evasion, built-in recurrability, different damage to creatures and players... But somehow nobody came up with the idea of eyeball count. It seems so obvious in retrospect. Blindingly so, you could say.

I'm sad that that letter made no mention of One Dozen Eyes
Anyone else think that Havengul Runebinder looks sorta like an evil MaRo?

How many eyes does marit lage have?
And how could you possibly fit B.F.M. (Big Furry Monster)'s eyes in that tiny jar?

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

I don't see the problem with Sewn-Eye Drake. You cut the eyes out again. It's not like normal eyes just "pop out" on death.
IMAGE(http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/1374/linkaraemrakul.png)
How many eyes does marit lage have?
And how could you possibly fit B.F.M. (Big Furry Monster)'s eyes in that tiny jar?

Judging by Miss Lage's official token card, about four.
The art used to depict a jar of eyeballs on Innistrad does not necessarily represent every jar of eyeballs you could possibly summon into existence. I'm sure a smart planeswalker like you would make sure to get a big jar if you knew a BFM was on its way.
That is another interesting question though: Why is there no 'maximum counters' ability on Jar of Eyeballs? Surely a finite glass jar can only hold so many... Unless this is some kind of magically enchanted auto-expanding jar. Must be that spell that allows the same helmet to fit a human, goblin, island, and giant flying amoeba.
IMAGE(http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/1374/linkaraemrakul.png)

Whoa, that thing is sweet. How was it released?

I recommend reading the original flavor text for Zombie Master. 

It was the Coldsnap Release Promo.

Goofy, I don't know how I feel about getting a token as a release promo. On the one hand, the release promo will more or less be as collectable as a token than as a real card, but on the other hand, I like getting real cards 0_o
"Rather than recall the card and publicly apologize for the glaring oversight, I think the simplest thing to do is to provide errata to existing cards to tell how many eyes they yield to Jar of Eyeballs upon death." - Jody

My, my, my. SOMEONE is a little too Vorthosian... While I'll admit the flavor is kinda funny when looked at that way, (and I will be the first to admit that my first thought was "What about the evil eyes") I think she takes this a BIT too seriously... She sounds like an Occupy Protester, or one of the Pro-/Anti- abortion Speakers.

And I just love Doug's reply
"My diagnosis is complete. I'm afraid that I must recommend one of two ways to proceed: either total amputation of the inflamed Vorthosian lobes—cutting out the source of Jody's FPI before it spreads too far—or immediate adoption of this eyeball counting system for all creatures acrossMagic, because that is pretty awesome and oh my god now I've caught it too."

If it didn't require so much work, I'd be willing to edit Gatherer for them..... :P 
And I think the "inflamed Vorthosian lobes" would curtail most (if not all) of her brain..... 

Goofy, I don't know how I feel about getting a token as a release promo. On the one hand, the release promo will more or less be as collectable as a token than as a real card, but on the other hand, I like getting real cards 0_o

back then tokens werent in packs, the limited few were early players' rewards cards, it was still foil and printed like a real card, its pretty awesome. Also the release cards were usually uncommons like Azorius Guildmage or Hedge Troll
Sign In to post comments