Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for February, 2012

143 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's Magic Arcana, Card of the Day, and Daily Decks features for the month of February, 2012.
Mono red?  Really?  After UW make it obsolete in its own archetype?
Hellrider is a playable card. No, really, why are you all laughing at me like that?
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
If red wasn't currently a sad, sad joke with an even more tragic punchline, Hellrider wouldn't be completely abyssmal.  However...
Hmm.. so what will be the value rare this time?

Chandra's Phoenix?
Grim Lavamancer?
Not going to complain if it does show up, but at $3 or so, Grim Lavamancer is not exactly a money card. Besides, it's far more likely Stromkirk Noble will make an appearance. (And I would be completely onboard with that)
I quess we will no longer be getting mythic's at the pre-release and all hope is lost for the release day.Frown

Playable cards in standard would be nice. Mondronen Shaman would not even see play in a Werewolf deck.  The 4 cost slot would go to Huntmaster.

The only thing this will see play in is limited and guess what, you can't even use the promo for that.

Thanks wizards for filling my binder with more crap rares!!!!! 
I quess we will no longer be getting mythic's at the pre-release and all hope is lost for the release day.

Playable cards in standard would be nice. Mondronen Shaman would not even see play in a Werewolf deck.  The 4 cost slot would go to Huntmaster.

The only thing this will see play in is limited and guess what, you can't even use the promo for that.

Thanks wizards for filling my binder with more crap rares!!!!! 

Mark Rosewater confirmed it in his Tumblr. No more mythic rares for promos. It was devaluing them, and since Magic is a business, they have to make money.
Not that I'm defending the choice. Especially since the power level gap between mythic rares and other rarities continues to grow (excepting Archangel's Light, of course).
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
Well, the gap comes and goes. Sorin, Lord of Innistrad is certainly a powerful card, but his rarity is as much due to his being a Planeswalker as his power level. (Although, admittedly, most Planeswalkers are pretty dang powerful) Aside from him, some of the best cards from Innistrad and Dark Ascension include rares like Snapcaster Mage, Stromkirk Noble, the dual lands, the other dual lands, Geralf's Messenger, and Gravecrawler.

Plus there are powerful commons and uncommons like Delver of Secrets, Midnight Haunting, Think Twice, Forbidden Alchemy, the captains, Invisible Stalker, Strangleroot Geist, and Dissipate.

I'm going to claim that Mythics don't have the highest average power level of any rarity, but they certainly aren't holding a stranglehold on the most powerful cards, especially in DKA and INN with such powerhouses as Archangel's Light, Beguiler of Wills, Moonveil Dragon, Grimoire of the Dead, Helvault, Essence of the Wild, and Mirror-Mad Phantasm.
Wishing Mondronen Shaman was:

First Strike
Non-wolf creature spells cost more to cast
2/1

Flip side

Non-wolf creature spells cost more to cast
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, he or she loses 1 life
First Strike
3/3

plus usual werewolf game text.

Hellrider is OK. The mono red event deck could be good, if there were red flying creatures and others that have undying. Too bad there's no playable mono red flying creatures in Innisrad or Dark Ascension.
Hee. Casting Enduring Ideal off Boseiju, Who Shelters All, and getting Meishin, the Mind Cage. I remember doing that back before it was cool. Genju of the Realm was pretty good at winning games back before Form of the Dragon was reprinted in 9th Edition
<3 the="" lich="" wallpaper="" so="" much="" i="" had="" to="" collect="" a="" playest="" br="">

But... that's only 3, you say?  The 4th is on my phone, which I used to take this picture!
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. White/Blue? Go figure. I'm an L3 Judge!
Please don't tell me the next card is Prismatic Wardrobe...
I took a look at the event decks

The red one in particular is like wut?

And then out of nowhere... 2 Inkmoth Nexus
So starter Birthing Pod deck or 2 Inkmoths. Yep, I know what I want.
The second deck seems more like an EDH grab-bag assortment than a competitive standard deck  - Birthing pod, Grim Backwoods, Bloodgift Demon, Solemn Simulacrum... I might just pick it up for some nice trade fodder on that end.

Though the Inkmoths are nice. Shame I've already got my playset, and the other rares are junk. :P
The second deck seems more like an EDH grab-bag assortment than a competitive standard deck  - Birthing pod, Grim Backwoods, Bloodgift Demon, Solemn Simulacrum... I might just pick it up for some nice trade fodder on that end.

Birthing Pod is competitive in standard. Don't think you want the Demon with that though. 
Mark Rosewater confirmed it in his Tumblr. No more mythic rares for promos. It was devaluing them, and since Magic is a business, they have to make money.
Not that I'm defending the choice. Especially since the power level gap between mythic rares and other rarities continues to grow (excepting Archangel's Light, of course).

That's just plain sad. When I first saw that they were giving out double-faced rares I feared that they were masking a move back to rare Prerelease promos, and now that fear has come true. Well, there goes the only thing I liked about the mythic rarity. And, let's be honest, the money excuse is nonsense anyway. All they have to do is keep the tournament-worthy cards away from printing (and not give out promos like Wurmcoil Engine) and they're fine. Nobody buys lots of product just so they can get that 4th Grimoire of the Dead anyway.

As far as the Event Decks go, the first one seems really sloppy. "Hey, we had a good idea, but there's zero value in this deck and we've already put Stromkirk Noble in an Intro Pack. Well, let's just add two Inkmoths and call it a day." The second one is just crappy Birthing Pod, which isn't too bad. Bloodgift Demon seems really silly though, that doesn't fit in a Pod deck at all.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
My jaw dropped as I looked at the manabase in the Red/White deck? Inkmoth Nexus?! Still, it's cool that they're adding in some of the more powerful/valuable rares to the event decks. I'm going to predict we'll see Snapcaster Mage in an event deck at the same time next year.

These values are taken from SGC. The Red/White has 2x Inkmoth Nexus ($15), 4x Arc Trail ($2), 2x Gut Shot ($2), Dismember ($4), and Hellrider ($2.50). The Green/Black deck has 2x Birthing Pod ($5), 1x Solemn Simalucrum ($8), 1x Beast Within 2.50, and 1x Bloodgift Demon and Myr Battlesphere ($1.50 each). That brings Gleeful Flames to $48.50 and Spiraling Doom to only $23.50.
The Spiraling Doom also has a Dismember and Hex Parasite.  Both are more valuable than the Demon and Battlesphere.
They should have put a Mimic Vat in instead of the Battlesphere.  Similiar value but I've see the Vat played a lot more.

They always have a deck with a piece of reprint value, but it's never been more glaringly obvious than here (at least the fetch land was actually relevant to Vampires). Yes, if you want a good deal on tradables, pick up Gleeful Flames. Throw the cheap cards away.

If you're actually in the market for a deck that can win a game of MtG (you know, where your cards have consistent synergy and have a focus that involves a legitimate win condition with some room to grow), you're leagues better off with Spiraling Doom.

How much do these event decks cost?
They are about 29.99 on amazon, i think thats normal retail.  The red deck looks like they thought about making RDW but then decided against it.  Neither of these looks really worth it.  I think id rather just buy two inkmoth for about the same price.
They are about 29.99 on amazon, i think thats normal retail.  The red deck looks like they thought about making RDW but then decided against it.  Neither of these looks really worth it.  I think id rather just buy two inkmoth for about the same price.

Shows how different US prices are to those here in the UK...

I can only just get 1 Inkmoth for the price of an Event Deck at my FLGS, so I can see me picking up one of these to complete my playset (might get round to trying Tempered Steel).

~ Tim

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
The strange thing is this isnt even the first event deck to have it.  New Phyrexia had one in an event deck as well.  Price never seems to be effected though.  Might have to do with it being played in almost any deck that can support it.

That's just plain sad. When I first saw that they were giving out double-faced rares I feared that they were masking a move back to rare Prerelease promos, and now that fear has come true. Well, there goes the only thing I liked about the mythic rarity. And, let's be honest, the money excuse is nonsense anyway. All they have to do is keep the tournament-worthy cards away from printing (and not give out promos like Wurmcoil Engine) and they're fine. Nobody buys lots of product just so they can get that 4th Grimoire of the Dead anyway.

As far as the Event Decks go, the first one seems really sloppy. "Hey, we had a good idea, but there's zero value in this deck and we've already put Stromkirk Noble in an Intro Pack. Well, let's just add two Inkmoths and call it a day." The second one is just crappy Birthing Pod, which isn't too bad. Bloodgift Demon seems really silly though, that doesn't fit in a Pod deck at all.

I agree, its pretty bogus about Mythic promos. A) they could just pick one that they can better assume won't be playable. B) Promo Wurmcoil Engine has not hurt its value at all, and Scars also had 3 Planeswalkers in it to carry the sets sales. While Sheoldred's value may have been hurt as a promo, NPH had plenty to carry its sales as well. DFC promos are great, but if these had been regular sets, Innistrad would've been fine with Reaper of the Abyss, Essence of the Wild, Balefire Dragon, or Angelic Overseer as promos. Dark Ascension even could've done both with Elbrus, the Binding Blade, or Drogskol Reaver, Mikaeus, the Unhallowed, the Helvault, or, blah another dragon.
Please don't tell me the next card is Prismatic Wardrobe...

How did you even figure that out? I am clearly missing something.
Is it
a lion, a witch and now a guy in weird clothing? Do we get a scarecrow or tin man next? Still, Prismatic Wardrobe feels off...

How did you even figure that out?

*cough*
How did you even figure that out?

*cough*

Ah! I thought of that, but I read it in German and the title never stuck with me, so Wardrobe didn't make sense to me. But the guy I quoted posted on the 6th, so he figured it from just the lion? Or was the witch already posted?
If the "next card" was predicted to be the Wardrobe, that probably means that Lion and Witch had already been posted.
I wonder if Prince of the Thralls is next to represent Prince Caspian.
Does anybody actually read the Arcanas about Wizards people and their personal lives and histories? Frankly, I find them highly irrelevant and uninteresting. The only thing worse than blathering about your personal life in a weekly article is taking up an entire day's article in one section with personal stuff.
I can't beleive I actually got that right.

Ok. Next card is either Toy Boat, or Collective Voyage. Either one would represent The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.
Thoughts?
My money's on Dawntreader Elk.  Given that it's a new card, I think it may even have inspired the whole theme.
My money's on Dawntreader Elk.  Given that it's a new card, I think it may even have inspired the whole theme.

Well done.
Does anybody actually read the Arcanas about Wizards people and their personal lives and histories? Frankly, I find them highly irrelevant and uninteresting. The only thing worse than blathering about your personal life in a weekly article is taking up an entire day's article in one section with personal stuff.

I read and enjoy them.

Now I want to hear the story of how Trick broke the Hulk costume.

Facepalm myself* "Why didn't i think of that?"
Good job man! 
I love how Monty actually takes the time to read the monthly threads for his articles and even posts on them. THAT, other WotC writers, is how you connect with your audience. Not to say the other guys don't connect, but it's better when you can actually have a discussion.
You're really gonna post a deck in this section that was just talked about in an article? Poor form MTG staff. You guys are better than that. 
I love how Monty actually takes the time to read the monthly threads for his articles and even posts on them. THAT, other WotC writers, is how you connect with your audience. Not to say the other guys don't connect, but it's better when you can actually have a discussion.

QFT. I also find it amusing to see how much effort is put into those Cards of the Day. To be honest, I almost never figure out the theme (unless it's glaringly obvious), but I like the fact that it's there.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.