Help with passing over everything weapons, money, armor ect.

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
ok so later on were going to start a new playthrough and I need help with getting all my Money, Weapons, and ect. to my new character but in a way that applies to D&D rules so please help!!!!
You're trying to transfer wealth from a character in one campaign to a character in another campaign?

There is NOTHING in the rules on that subject. You're starting a new character. Even if your new character is the child of your old one who just died, you don't automatically inherit; by default you start with the same starting resources as if your parents were cabbage farmers.

Now if the DM wants to make some explicit allowance or exception, either for your character in particular or for everyone in the campaign, that's fine. But he's under no obligation to do so.

If it's actually an ongoing campaign and only your character is being replaced, you could, oh, have your old character die in a freak accident and your companions pass your gear on to the replacement character to help him get started and so he isn't a detriment to the party. Work out pretty much anything that happens entirely in-world for a reason somewhere within a few miles of being plausible, and get the DM's (and possibly other players') okay on it. 
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
You're trying to transfer wealth from a character in one campaign to a character in another campaign?

There is NOTHING in the rules on that subject. You're starting a new character. Even if your new character is the child of your old one who just died, you don't automatically inherit; by default you start with the same starting resources as if your parents were cabbage farmers.

Now if the DM wants to make some explicit allowance or exception, either for your character in particular or for everyone in the campaign, that's fine. But he's under no obligation to do so.

If it's actually an ongoing campaign and only your character is being replaced, you could, oh, have your old character die in a freak accident and your companions pass your gear on to the replacement character to help him get started and so he isn't a detriment to the party. Work out pretty much anything that happens entirely in-world for a reason somewhere within a few miles of being plausible, and get the DM's (and possibly other players') okay on it. 

Thanks my friends dad is the DM and he said we need to do it within DnD bundaries but he wont tell us how. he just gave us a hint how to do it something about lumens chest? I dont know what that is or if i even spelled it right?
Warrl is correct.  There's no explicit way to do this in the rules.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Thanks my friends dad is the DM and he said we need to do it within DnD bundaries but he wont tell us how. he just gave us a hint how to do it something about lumens chest? I dont know what that is or if i even spelled it right?

Yeah, you mangled it. It's Leomund's chest, and no, it doesn't have any application remotely like what your DM might think by RAW.

What you have is a game of "guess what the DM is thinking."
A) there is no official way to do this.
B) This isn't something you should do anyway - IMHO, a lot of the fun of the game is advancing your character, and jump-starting with a big pile of loot will diminish that.

C) If you do want to do this... At the end of the old adventure, talk about how your old PC is going to sponsor younger adventurers/adventuring parties. 
Give up your old PC to the GM as an NPC, with an explanation of their thoughts/feelings/etc. 
Suggest a way for the old NPC to identify the worthy ones in the next generation of adventurers (a contest? a staged emergency? a testing-dungeon?)
He probably wants your first character to buy a leomund's secret chest and stash his things in there so the second character can conveniently find them later.
If you are starting at lvl 1, then u get 100g. Anything higher level u get 1 magical item of your lvl +1, you level, and your level -1, plus gold equal to an item of your level -1. So if you were level 3, you would get a lvl 4, a lvl 3, and a lvl 2 item, plus gold equal to a lvl 2 item.
He probably wants your first character to buy a leomund's secret chest and stash his things in there so the second character can conveniently find them later.

Yes thats what I was thinking he had in mine is that how the chest works in a way???

Here's the 3.5 rules:

Secret Chest

Conjuration (Summoning)

Level: Sor/Wiz 5 Components: V, S, F Casting Time: 10 minutes Range: See text Target: One chest and up to 1 cu. ft. of goods/caster level Duration: Sixty days or until discharged Saving Throw: None Spell Resistance: No

You hide a chest on the Ethereal Plane for as long as sixty days and can retrieve it at will. The chest can contain up to 1 cubic foot of material per caster level (regardless of the chest’s actual size, which is about 3 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet). If any living creatures are in the chest, there is a 75% chance that the spell simply fails. Once the chest is hidden, you can retrieve it by concentrating (a standard action), and it appears next to you.

The chest must be exceptionally well crafted and expensive, constructed for you by master crafters. The cost of such a chest is never less than 5,000 gp. Once it is constructed, you must make a tiny replica (of the same materials and perfect in every detail), so that the miniature of the chest appears to be a perfect copy. (The replica costs 50 gp.) You can have but one pair of these chests at any given time—even a wish spell does not allow more. The chests are nonmagical and can be fitted with locks, wards, and so on, just as any normal chest can be.

To hide the chest, you cast the spell while touching both the chest and the replica. The chest vanishes into the Ethereal Plane. You need the replica to recall the chest. After sixty days, there is a cumulative chance of 5% per day that the chest is irretrievably lost. If the miniature of the chest is lost or destroyed, there is no way, not even with a wish spell, that the large chest can be summoned back, although an extraplanar expedition might be mounted to find it.

Living things in the chest eat, sleep, and age normally, and they die if they run out of food, air, water, or whatever they need to survive.

Focus: The chest and its replica.