Undying Question

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Quick rules question about Vorapede and Mask of the Mimic.

If I cast Mask of the Mimic and sacrifice Vorapede for the addition to Mask of the Mimic's mana cost, when he comes back from the graveyard, can I make Vorapede the target for the nontoken creature and then search for another Vorapede and put it on the battlefield?   

Thanks,
Ken  
thats was worded a bit wierd but I think I get your question

Yes.  Mask asks you to sac a creature and find another from your deck with the same name to put into play.

As long as the vorapede you sacrificed did not already have a +1/+1 counter, its undying would trigger and return to play along side your new one from the mask itself
:For autocarding, write [ c ] card name [ / c ] You can also do [*c=lightning bolt]'Bolt[/c*] to get 'Bolt sigged because I always forget to do it
You choose the target and pay the cost (in that order) as part of the same event, namely casting Mask of the Mimic. The triggered ability that returns Vorapede won't even go on the stack, much less resolve, until after you're completely finished casting Mask.

Technically, you could target the same creature you sacrifice, but then the spell would be countered when it tried to resolve due to an illegal target (the creature you targeted isn't there, even if a suspiciously similar-looking one, with the same name and represented by the same piece of cardboard, is).
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Yes.  Mask asks you to sac a creature and find another from your deck with the same name to put into play.

No, it doesn't. You've misread Mask of the Mimic rather badly. You sacrifice a creature as part of its cost, in order to search your library for a creature card with the same name as a different target creature and put it into play. As my previous post says, if you try to do it the way you described, it gets countered for lack of a legal target (even if the sacrificed creature somehow returns).

Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
I actually didnt read it at all, it wasnt autocarded so I tried to recall the card from memory. my mistake.
:For autocarding, write [ c ] card name [ / c ] You can also do [*c=lightning bolt]'Bolt[/c*] to get 'Bolt sigged because I always forget to do it
Bummer TY.  would have been a fun combo