Devout protector expertise

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
can't find it...what does it do?

Think it was from the Dragon article Tools of Two Trades, not sure of the issue number - if I remember right, I think it was the paladin/cleric feat that gave you a bonus when using a 1h weapon, shield and holy symbol.

Edit: Yep. +1 attack rolls with 1h weapons and holy symbols, and your allies get +1 AC when you use a shield...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

The feat is in Dragon 402, in the "Tools of Two Trades" article.

The article was updated about a month ago, so make sure you refer to latest version. (The new version removes a number of feats like Dwarven Rod Expertise, Devoted Priest Expertise and Hex Expertise.)
so how does it work now?
The current benefit of Devout Protector Expertise is:

"You gain a +1 feat bonus to weapon attack rolls you make with any one-handed melee weapon and a +1 feat bonus to implement attack rolls you make with holy symbols. These bonuses increase to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level. In addition, while you use a shield, your allies gain a +1 shield bonus to AC."

It's probably in need of further changes, since there's no distance specified for the shield bonus.
i just read that feat last night.. and it said it granted the bonus to self only... i must be reading the wrong stuff. That would make the perfect feat for my paladin.. would replace master at arms for me.
The current benefit of Devout Protector Expertise is:

"You gain a +1 feat bonus to weapon attack rolls you make with any one-handed melee weapon and a +1 feat bonus to implement attack rolls you make with holy symbols. These bonuses increase to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level. In addition, while you use a shield, your allies gain a +1 shield bonus to AC."

It's probably in need of further changes, since there's no distance specified for the shield bonus.

Why should there be a distance?

While you're in the same encounter (which is required for "allies" to have any meaning), they get a Shield Bonus to AC.

It's not exactly broken even with unlimited distance, since so many classes and builds get a Shield Bonus anyway, and "+1 to some one defense of some of my allies" seems like a perfectly fair Expertise tradeoff - to the point where needing to keep track of distance would be more annoying than balancing.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
well, that makes things much clearer. Im also assuming that it won't be added into the character builder until the kinks have been worked out?

I think if they made it a specific range, it would seem more like a banner of defense type thing.
It will be added to the CB regardless of kinks, but it won't be until probably mid-March, there's usually a 1 to 2 month delay on getting completed and finalised material into the CB.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
ohh.. that explains things about the builder a bit better for me..

Not to get too off topic here, but ive been using the CharOp for Paladin defenders as a form of insight to things, and it was showing a bunch of stuff i hadn't seen in the builder until just this past week, but was listed in the CharOp since October or something like that.

on topic: beats Master at Arms for a sword/shield type paladin ^.^
ohh.. that explains things about the builder a bit better for me..

Not to get too off topic here, but ive been using the CharOp for Paladin defenders as a form of insight to things, and it was showing a bunch of stuff i hadn't seen in the builder until just this past week, but was listed in the CharOp since October or something like that.

on topic: beats Master at Arms for a sword/shield type paladin ^.^

It was in playtest for all that time.  It's only been finalised (to its current form, though I'd still argue it needs clarifying further) as of mid-January.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Bringing this thread back.  The feat is in the OCB now, and still says "In addition, while you use a shield, your allies gain a +1 shield bonus to AC."

Does this do what I think it does?
Bringing this thread back.  The feat is in the OCB now, and still says "In addition, while you use a shield, your allies gain a +1 shield bonus to AC."

Does this do what I think it does?

What do you think it does?

Because it does what it SAYS it does, which is "while you use a shield, your allies gain a +1 shield bonus to AC".  No range limit, nothing:  While you are using a shield, your allies (in the current encounter - the only way "ally" can be meaninfully parsed) gain a +1 Shield Bonus.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Yeah, that's what I think it does.  That was kind of a joke, phrasing my question like that.

It just seems.... well like a typo.  Like they forgot to put "adjacent" in there or something.  Just wondering if anyone thinks that there is likely be errata or if it is balanced as is.  I know that article has been there for a while now, I don't think this feat has changed.
Yeah, that's what I think it does.  That was kind of a joke, phrasing my question like that.

It just seems.... well like a typo.  Like they forgot to put "adjacent" in there or something.  Just wondering if anyone thinks that there is likely be errata or if it is balanced as is.  I know that article has been there for a while now, I don't think this feat has changed.

I don't think it's unbalanced, and I don't think they're likely to errata it.  Like I said three months ago in this very thread:
'It's not exactly broken even with unlimited distance, since so many classes and builds get a Shield Bonus anyway, and "+1 to some one defense of some of my allies" seems like a perfectly fair Expertise tradeoff - to the point where needing to keep track of distance would be more annoying than balancing. '
Well, it is a way to get a shield bonus to add rhythm blade to.
Hey what became of the adsurdity of this ranged infinite shield bonus set by its descriptive presentation as the Devout Protector Expertise feat. 

Its brought up in a game I'm DMing and I was hoping in avoiding addressing this directly while limited the shield bonus to adjacent allies but now the player is demanding more shouild be recognized as the feat.

Who/What Am I?
"I might have been a hmmm... eh-eh well, y'kno but, instead" I'm a fighter... --
peacekeepermedc.gif -- ...not a lover. This signature concept is from "http://www.pathguy.com/index2.htm"
html_removed
What I Doing Here?
@MTG Forums. Contestant: A Contest Like No Other hosted by Fakeartist. An Angelic Aspect In The Wild, Wild World Of The Mata Hari's Agency. @DnD Forums. Digital Artist In Training: What Do YOU Think MY Character Looks Like's Thread - @4e Character Development forum. Player (Osborn) - Bounty Hunter (Fighter DnDNext): DnD presents The Walking Dead @Play By Post Forum. Player (Shana Zorus) - Professional Bodyguard/Adventurer (Hybrid Warden/Paladin 4e): The Unhallowed Gate @Play By Post Haven Forum (DM by ffShadow) Player (Krist Breeze) - Twiceborn War Mage/Imbuer (Hybrid Warlord/Wizard 4e): Castle Greyhawk - @Real Adventures (DM by Icanus) Player (Blyne Munro) - Happy-Go-Lucky Scout/Explorer (Warlock 4e) Domain of Shadows-Darkness Falls - Play By Post Haven (DM by WhisperMagellan) Player (Ansmril) - Vistani Blessed Psalmist (Bard/Shaman 4e) The Dragon Below Can't Have It This Good - (And I'm The DM) DM - The Young Mercenaries/Ps'V-GoodShip Drow Diplomacy. DM - The Unlikely Diplomats/Ps'V- GoodShip Drow Diplomacy. DM - The Dragon Below Can't Have It This Good/Ps'V GoodShip Diplomacy. Referee - People Of Oz @Dorothy's Kansas Games(inactive). Oz League: The Ardent Lord w/People Of Oz @Dorothy's Kansas Games(inactive). Ps'V = The Players' Vault Forum Group In Which I'm The Owner Of.

Hey what became of the adsurdity of this ranged infinite shield bonus set by its descriptive presentation as the Devout Protector Expertise feat. 

Its brought up in a game I'm DMing and I was hoping in avoiding addressing this directly while limited the shield bonus to adjacent allies but now the player is demanding more shouild be recognized as the feat.

Your player is demanding that a feat he took be allowed to do what it says it does? Perish the thought.

To be less sarcastic.

DPE does let the shield bonus effect the whole party.  There is a feat that only has adjacent allies get a shield bonus, but it is a different feat entirely.  While the range is basically infinite (So the paladin can be on anther plane of existence and still give it) it is generally ruled to be "As long as the paladin is present at the encounter +1 AC to everyone"  Note that it is a shield bonus so it won't stack with a lot of things. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Yeah, Martyr that what happening, as it written, an infinite ranged shield bonus to all with the paladin, but I'm with Alcestis on this one. Perish that idea, its more than absurded, its, its, mad.

Who/What Am I?
"I might have been a hmmm... eh-eh well, y'kno but, instead" I'm a fighter... --
peacekeepermedc.gif -- ...not a lover. This signature concept is from "http://www.pathguy.com/index2.htm"
html_removed
What I Doing Here?
@MTG Forums. Contestant: A Contest Like No Other hosted by Fakeartist. An Angelic Aspect In The Wild, Wild World Of The Mata Hari's Agency. @DnD Forums. Digital Artist In Training: What Do YOU Think MY Character Looks Like's Thread - @4e Character Development forum. Player (Osborn) - Bounty Hunter (Fighter DnDNext): DnD presents The Walking Dead @Play By Post Forum. Player (Shana Zorus) - Professional Bodyguard/Adventurer (Hybrid Warden/Paladin 4e): The Unhallowed Gate @Play By Post Haven Forum (DM by ffShadow) Player (Krist Breeze) - Twiceborn War Mage/Imbuer (Hybrid Warlord/Wizard 4e): Castle Greyhawk - @Real Adventures (DM by Icanus) Player (Blyne Munro) - Happy-Go-Lucky Scout/Explorer (Warlock 4e) Domain of Shadows-Darkness Falls - Play By Post Haven (DM by WhisperMagellan) Player (Ansmril) - Vistani Blessed Psalmist (Bard/Shaman 4e) The Dragon Below Can't Have It This Good - (And I'm The DM) DM - The Young Mercenaries/Ps'V-GoodShip Drow Diplomacy. DM - The Unlikely Diplomats/Ps'V- GoodShip Drow Diplomacy. DM - The Dragon Below Can't Have It This Good/Ps'V GoodShip Diplomacy. Referee - People Of Oz @Dorothy's Kansas Games(inactive). Oz League: The Ardent Lord w/People Of Oz @Dorothy's Kansas Games(inactive). Ps'V = The Players' Vault Forum Group In Which I'm The Owner Of.

Yeah, Martyr that what happening, as it written, an infinite ranged shield bonus to all with the paladin, but I'm with Alcestis on this one. Perish that idea, its more than absurded, its, its, mad.

You realize I was agreeing with your player, right? That is what it says it does and you should let it do that. The idea that should perish is the one that DMs should houserule perfectly functional game elements.

A hint: Alcestis was, as he is wont to do, being sarcastic.

The feat is fine.
I'm fine with as written, I just like to mumbled under my breath about certain procedures that are granted as fact that also messes up logic.

Who/What Am I?
html_removed
What I Doing Here?

Alcestis was messing with you.  DPE works like your player thinks it does.

I'm fine with as written, I just like to mumbled under my breath about certain procedures that are granted as fact that also messes up logic.

I don't english your words at times...
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Sign In to post comments