I'm having a lot of trouble with playing leaders in paragon levels

7 posts / 0 new
Last post

Around level 11 our group of players got smaller and my Warlock with a Cleric multiclass feat wasn't cutting it for support anymore, so I rolled a Shaman. I played a Shaman to level 5 for Living Forgotten Realms a few years ago, and I was looking forward to playing this class again, but at level 11 I found it too difficult to control the character and its Spirit Companion. I am not too bright when it comes to positon & tactics in a turn based game. I am more fond of strategy in video games, it is easier to follow when a video game represents combat faster and more literally than a turn-based system.

I replaced the Shaman with a lazy Warlord. I thought that giving my attack rolls to the strikers would make things much easier on me, but now I realize that it is the healing and buffing that is difficult, I am having trouble keeping track of opprotunities to buff the other player characters and I cannot remember my healing bonuses and the circumstances that trigger my special abilities. I have a learning disorder, this is probably afffecting my ability to manage these details.

The group will run smoother if I can manage to continue playing a Leader class. The other players are a Shielding Swordmage and a Wizard. The wizard and swordmage have strong basic attacks. We are getting two new players, one will probably be a rogue and the other is undecided.

For those of you who play paragon and epic leaders, how do you keep track of the status of the other players? I could replace my Warlord with another leader if necessary, but I'd prefer to continue roll-playing the same character. I don't know what to do, I've learned to dread playing these characters, I either need a strategy to learn better skills for playing high level leaders or I need simpler character to play.

My other Paragon character is a rogue at level 20...I am doing well with this one. I don't have much expirience with any other classes.

Sun warpriest is very very easy to play. You just sunburst as your first attack which gives everyone 5 temps, then blessing of battle and start giving everyone resists. The amount of healing sunpriests do is incredibly high so you cant really mess up while playing one. As a warlord you are capable of letting your teammates shift very often as well as high healing so maybe have your group try to be less tanky and work on good positioning. Also, the less time spent healing yourself, the better. You dont want to over extend and you're not going to do much damage as a healer. You should just hit the monsters off to the sides and buff your allies.
Leader is arguably the hardest role to play in 4e for the reasons you mentioned.  Shaman is probably the hardest leader to play right, but the runepriest is hard too.  Avoid conditional feats.

Cleric is overall probably the easiest to play leader.  Ranged builds with party friendly AOE are the easiest of the templar ones and sun domain probably easiest of the warpriest builds.  I might recommend taking feats for healing word and concentrating on that one power since the boosts will be the same almost every time.

Even then, the one time I played a sun domain warpriest in epic I actually typed up a cheat sheet with all his most likely potential bonuses on it.  It was something like "when he uses healing word 2 PCs within 20 can spend a surge +5d6 +6, get 8 temp hitpoints, make a save with a +2 bonus, and get +2 to his defenses for the next round.  He can do this 3 times an encounter, 4 if he gets a crit". 

I had something similar for all the bonuses that happened when he used a radiant power since he had a lot of stuff that keyed off of doing radiant damage.
I am having trouble keeping track of opprotunities to buff the other player characters and I cannot remember my healing bonuses and the circumstances that trigger my special abilities.

Can you make yourself checklists of things like bonuses and circumstances?  My fiancee was playing a Seeker for a while, and we had a list of "things that give you combat advantage" and "bonus damage opportunities" (things like "+X against bloodied opponents," "+Y against isolated opponents," that kind of thing), and it was absolutely invaluable.

Also, absolutely, absolutely make yourself a set of power cards that include all the relevant information for each power (attack bonus, damage, effects, special conditions, that sort of thing) so that you have everything at your fingertips.  I have a walk-through for how to create them in OpenOffice; ping me through private messaging and I can send you the link.

For those of you who play paragon and epic leaders, how do you keep track of the status of the other players?

What "status" are you referring to?  If you're strictly talking about hit points, in most groups you won't get any complaints about just tossing out a quick "anybody need healing" during your turn, especially if your learning disability is making it difficult to play your character effectively otherwise.  That being said, if you have some way to mark that a character is bloodied, that's a good place to start; nobody likes being down below half their hit points! (Okay, Wardens and Dragonborn do, but that's only because Dragonborn get more accurate when they're bloodied, and most Wardens wait until then to pop their Second Wind.  And since you don't have any Wardens in your party, and I doubt either the Swordmage or Wizard are Dragonborn, you don't really have to worry about that.)

If you're talking about other effects, your DM should be announcing what happens to each character, you might find it useful to jot down some quick notes.
loose [loos] vt. to let loose; to release; to unfasten, undo or untie; to shoot or discharge. lose [looz] vt. to come to be without (something in one's possession or care), through accident, theft, etc., so that there is little or no prospect of recovery; to fail inadvertently to retain (something) in such a way that it cannot be immediately recovered; to suffer the deprivation of. LEARN THE DAMN DIFFERENCE. The pen is mightier than the character builder. Copy this to your sig if you like 4e but don't use the CB. "OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E." -RedSiegfried

Around level 11 our group of players got smaller and my Warlock with a Cleric multiclass feat wasn't cutting it for support anymore, so I rolled a Shaman. I played a Shaman to level 5 for Living Forgotten Realms a few years ago, and I was looking forward to playing this class again, but at level 11 I found it too difficult to control the character and its Spirit Companion. I am not too bright when it comes to positon & tactics in a turn based game. I am more fond of strategy in video games, it is easier to follow when a video game represents combat faster and more literally than a turn-based system.

I replaced the Shaman with a lazy Warlord. I thought that giving my attack rolls to the strikers would make things much easier on me, but now I realize that it is the healing and buffing that is difficult, I am having trouble keeping track of opprotunities to buff the other player characters and I cannot remember my healing bonuses and the circumstances that trigger my special abilities. I have a learning disorder, this is probably afffecting my ability to manage these details.

The group will run smoother if I can manage to continue playing a Leader class. The other players are a Shielding Swordmage and a Wizard. The wizard and swordmage have strong basic attacks. We are getting two new players, one will probably be a rogue and the other is undecided.

For those of you who play paragon and epic leaders, how do you keep track of the status of the other players? I could replace my Warlord with another leader if necessary, but I'd prefer to continue roll-playing the same character. I don't know what to do, I've learned to dread playing these characters, I either need a strategy to learn better skills for playing high level leaders or I need simpler character to play.

My other Paragon character is a rogue at level 20...I am doing well with this one. I don't have much expirience with any other classes.

I think most has been said by the other posters, but another really easy leader to play is a pacifist healer. Just write down your total healing bonus and print out your character heet from the character builder so that you can instantly see all the bonusses calculated into your powers. Spend all your feats on extra healing and defenses and use your encounter powers to debuff enemies. You should avoid buffing options for your allies if you want to play the simplest kind of character imo.

Lots of great suggestions here, but you should also consider playing what you enjoy most. You can play what you excel at and still be a team player. If anyone gives you grief because the party needs a leader, let them roll one.
The shaman is probably the most complicated leader you could have picked, when it comes to bonuses. If you struggle to keep track, either with a shaman or another leader, make a tent out of card so that one side faces you and one side faces the rest of the table and write your bonuses on each side. This will remind you of what you can do and give an idea to the others of what you have to offer. 

E.g. your tent could go as follows:

Raak
Level 9 Warlord
Allies gain +2 to iniative.
When Allies AP they gain 9 hp.
Inspiring Word = surge + 2d6 + 4 - I can use this 2/enc.
Don't forget Powerful Warning interrupt when ally is hit by <2

Just an example, but you get the drift.
If you want to play a leader then that's grand and would suggest you do as above, but if it is a bit too complicated for you, then I would recomend rolling up an essential striker (e.g. thief) and letting one of the more experienced players play the leader.

As was stated above, play what you consider fun. 
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein