No plans to change from Silverlight

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just announced at the D&D XP convention: No plans to change the DDI digital tools from Silverlight in the "forseeable future".

That sounds like a pretty firm commitment to stick with Silverlight.
It makes sense. They can tie everything together for ddi tht way. Why rebuild the foundation if they don't have to. I am not a silverlight fan and would rather have something else, but as long as it allows them to meet their release goals, I will be happy.
The devil is in the details. They've already stated that they want the tools to be available for tablets, phones, etc. but many of those (ie apple products) don't support Silverlight. I'm not sure how they can both stick with silverlight and support mobile devices. Time will tell.
I think they do want to accomplish that, but it would take more resources, than they have, to change what they have now.

Perhaps they will utilize the third party developers to make native apps for tablets but, IMO, they should redo the web interface to be mobile device ready.
The devil is in the details. They've already stated that they want the tools to be available for tablets, phones, etc. but many of those (ie apple products) don't support Silverlight. I'm not sure how they can both stick with silverlight and support mobile devices. Time will tell.

Any current Windows tablet should run the DDI suite since it uses the standard OS desktop/laptop and not the phone one.  The Windows Phone OS is based on Silverlight and I think it should run everything.  Have not tried to see if the Phone OS will though.
whats wrong with Silverlight? It is a great development environment. and it is supported on windows phone 7.  Very few technologies would be "supported" by all phone/tablet types. Even Java won't work on my iPhone/iPad and Flash isn't supported on the iPhone's browser either.
So they would have to develop a version specific to apple's devices as an app, which then wouldn't be usable by your Android, or Blackberry either. Those too would require a different development tool.
A developer is boned no matter how you look at it when it comes to cross-platform development and hand helds (smart phones/tablets)

-p   
Just presenting options.....

On both ipad and android, you have all the various remote desktop apps to access you PC from your tablet.

Splashtop, Logmein, Teamviewer.. all free. But they require your PC at home to be powered on.

I use splashtop on my ipad to access the character builder and generally play the character on iPlay4e and Dicenomicon apps. I have rolled up a character or two from scratch on my ipad via splashtop, and its serviceable.

Ive been investigateing Onlive Desktop, but it is apparently US only and does not yet support silverlight

While i would love to see native apps for all platforms, I am not holding my breath. The band-aid solutions are serviceable enough that i can access the builder and my characters from my Ipad, anywhere i like.

I am sorry to hear that. Silverlight is a futile effort to copy Flash, while Flash itself is bad enough. No wonder Microsoft will not develop it in the future.

• HTML5 and Javascript could handle the site. Everything runs that, phones, tablets, desktops, Windows, Linux, MAc. I do not even think native apps for mobile are necessary.

• I only have to install Silverlight for this one site. Noone else (who matters) uses it. Not even advertisers.

• Microsoft discontinued it

But enough of the hindrances, lets see the benefits:

• sorry, could not find one

They made a bad deceison 4 years ago, and created a desktop application in .NET. The iPhone one came out a year ago, and was visibly successful. Even in 2008 august, the web was absolutely capable of handling complex user interfaces and massive data, like Amazon, or Facebook.

Business decisions 101: do not throw good money after bad. Probably it was too late to change in 2008, but they should have never created the Silverlite version in 2011.

• Microsoft discontinued it

Can you provide a link to that announcement?

Celebrate our differences.

Sorry, I stated hearsay as fact.
I work for a big partner of Microsoft. A coworker who worked on a Silverlight based product told me, that the development she participated in was discontinued. Supposedly MS told our leaders through some unofficial channels, that MS saw the future in other approaches (I guess HTML5), and they were not satisfied with the popularity of Silverlight, or the lack thereof.
So wispers to a friend of a friend of a friend. Nothing major, or provable, but makes sence. 5 years after introduction still unsuccessful.
I think it will go the way of the Zune. It was dead long before actually pronounced dead.
It has been my understanding that Silverlight will still have a home in Windows as one of the design tools for Win apps.  I think it will remain around for a while, particularly if they are still developing and evolving WPF, which from every indication that I have seen, they have no plans of discontinuing.

Celebrate our differences.

whats wrong with Silverlight? It is a great development environment. and it is supported on windows phone 7.  Very few technologies would be "supported" by all phone/tablet types. Even Java won't work on my iPhone/iPad and Flash isn't supported on the iPhone's browser either.
So they would have to develop a version specific to apple's devices as an app, which then wouldn't be usable by your Android, or Blackberry either. Those too would require a different development tool.
A developer is boned no matter how you look at it when it comes to cross-platform development and hand helds (smart phones/tablets)

-p   

It doesn't work in linux.  Nor does it work in the opensource version (moonlight). 

DMing since 1994.

Gaming tools I currently use:  Maptool, google docs, dundjinni, mumble

My 5e maptool framework (updated March 2015):  bit.ly/1NWSkaP   (Monster and NPC token library, with all stats and macros programmed): bit.ly/1NWTe73

Lost Mines of Phandelver (Maptool file with all maps, vision-blocking, statted monsters):  http://bit.ly/1wgrIqF

HotDQ Episode 8--Castle in the Clouds (Maptool fie with all maps, vision-blocking, statted/macroed monsters, flavor text, treasure, traps):  bit.ly/1BfXk0c  

Sign In to post comments