Modern Setting: What could work?

A modern setting with magic is always full of amazing options and certain differences. The setting could be one of these three:

Hidden world: Magic has been around, but the public is not aware for everyone's protection.

All out in the open: An exciting and scary time when magic goes public.

Contemporary DnD: Elves work in alternative energy, dwarfs are working on a moon base, and the wizard and scientist are one and the same.

What else could work for this setting? 
well you could go for low magic, this could have a indiana jones feal.
i thin hasbro owns the indiana jones toy line don't know if this would incluse creating a rpg on it.

for sci-fi, hasbro produces the folowing toy lines:

G.I Joe (yes i incluse this as sci-fi not modern.)
Transformers.
star wars.
marvell stuff based on the movies.

i don't know if these would include the rights of creating a pen and paper RPG .

Armor:
Cloth - Normal Cloths
Leather - Biker gear

Tuxedo Liner - the ones FBI and Secret service use. Equivellent of Chainmail
Bullet Proof vest - Equivellent of Scale mail
Full Riot Gear - Plate 
Ant Farm
A modern setting with magic is always full of amazing options and certain differences. The setting could be one of these three:

Hidden world: Magic has been around, but the public is not aware for everyone's protection.

All out in the open: An exciting and scary time when magic goes public.

Contemporary DnD: Elves work in alternative energy, dwarfs are working on a moon base, and the wizard and scientist are one and the same.

What else could work for this setting? 

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/...

www.rpggamesandanime.com/images/d20urban...

Ah God, I loved d20 Modern. I fully plan on playing the hell out of DiasExMachina's Ultramoden 4e when it comes out.

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/...

www.rpggamesandanime.com/images/d20urban...

Ah God, I loved d20 Modern. I fully plan on playing the hell out of DiasExMachina's Ultramoden 4e when it comes out.

My friends use that for their Zombie Apocalypse game.

I liked the idea of having a modern game, but set in a different world, very distinct from our own. Ancient temples litter the world both underground and through the country. The gentry stay inside walled off castles and bath themselves in the old world mythos. Mages and Scientists work hand in hand to create new inventions. Weapons that combied both magic and scientific ingenuity make it into the real world. Bombs that can decimate entire cities yet leave no trace behind. Guns that shoot bullets loaded with spells(Anime reference people) for normal people to use magic.

Dragons build lucrative business ventures while kobalds and goblins litter the streets looking to make some fast cash. Heroes come about as vigilantes or if funded, as part of private contractors, similar to private security firms and detectives. Most just use the term Mercenary. Paladins and Clerics are the strong arm of the church but religious freedoms do not allow them to act with the consent of the church. Druids and Primal guardians are either hermits or hired on by these companies as consultants. Psions are trained in interrogation techniques that are so advance no boardroom is complete without one. Mages require licenses to practice and must go through rigorous testing before being able to practice in public.
Ant Farm
A new Urban Arcana, the mythpunk setting would be good, but I´m afraid it would need a lot playtesting.

Let´s imagine:

DM/Game Mater: The street is full of hordes of zombies. What do you?

PC: I ride my truck and I knock them down. How many PXs are?

PC 2: It isn´t just! I have defeated a dozen by hand-to-hands combat. He can´t get the same rewards so easily.

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

As I said in the other thread, 5e should never be ported to modern or sci-fi settings. It needs to stay rooted in fantasy, and if WotC wants another sci-fi or fantasy game then maybe they should consider re-releasing Alternity. D&D in Space is bad genre pastiche at best, and what Warhammer 40k is to Warhammer Fantasy at worst.

Let´s imagine:

DM/Game Mater: The street is full of hordes of zombies. What do you?

PC: I ride my truck and I knock them down. How many PXs are?

PC 2: It isn´t just! I have defeated a dozen by hand-to-hands combat. He can´t get the same rewards so easily.

And thats why XP is evenly distributed amongst players. I play 3.5e as fighter, if XP was counted I would be at 400 XP even though I am attacked 85% of the time, where as the mage is probably at 1 million XP. Thanks to our DM for just leveling us up after every few encounters.
Ant Farm
As I said in the other thread, 5e should never be ported to modern or sci-fi settings. It needs to stay rooted in fantasy, and if WotC wants another sci-fi or fantasy game then maybe they should consider re-releasing Alternity. D&D in Space is bad genre pastiche at best, and what Warhammer 40k is to Warhammer Fantasy at worst.

Have you ever played d20 Modern? I ask because it was awesome.

Also, WH Fantasy is a distinctly different world, and very different game, than 40k. For one, Fantasy has actual tactics

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.
Have you ever played d20 Modern? I ask because it was awesome.

Also, WH Fantasy is a distinctly different world, and very different game, than 40k. For one, Fantasy has actual tactics

Seriously, go read the preface to the Alternity PHB and DMG. "Modern D&D" and "D&D in Space" shouldn't exist.

For one, the d20 rule system isn't designed to handle skill-heavy encounters that SWSE or d20 Modern can generate. It falls into the same hole that the nWOD Mind's Eye Theater does if you play rules-as-written; you have to have your skills maxed out in order to have a decent chance of success. Alternity, on the other hand, not only has degrees of success but its skill system was also designed for the more highly- skilled PCs that modern and sci-fi play will produce.

And then there's the problem of stupid genre pastiche. Most of the "awesome" stuff I've seen come out of the d20 era wasn't awesome; it was badly thought- out, and made no actual sense aside from seeing how many cool things they could cram into one game. Believe me when I say, that when someone goes off about how "awesome" something is, I start to wonder about the quality of the product.

There's also the absolute lack of an XP system for things other than slaying opponents, which is one of the reasons why I liked 4e's system of getting XP from completing quests. For example, if the PCs miss the white dragon in Kobold Hall (which is possible since its an optional encounter), they don't get the quest XP for bringing its head back to town. An XP system designed for modern or sci-fi play would have to have a similar allowance for completing missions or assignments that don't always end in bloodshed.

And then there's the issue of styles of play. Ravenloft was popular because it allowed a DM to go from the "heroic fantasy" of 1e and 2e into a darker style of game that was popularized by the '90s. The rulebooks for 3.x and 4e were written for epic good vs. evil struggles, not difficult questions of morality or nasty alienpolitik. Some of this is to try to capture the teen and young adult market where parental intrusion is very likely. That's why there's so little breast plate in 3.x and even less in 4e; the characters are supposed to be these paragons of law/good and such characters don't dress like heroic strumpets from the '90s.

(edited: Real World Politics/Religion)

Anything else?
I've removed content from this thread because Real world Religion and Real world politics are considered Off-Topic Disruption and are a violation of the Code of Conduct.  You can review the Code of Conduct here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, respectful, and on-topic, and refrain from talking about real world religion or politics.

You're welcome to express yourself, however please refrain from talking about real world religion or politics.

Thanks!