Looking for advice. Is there any paragon path that gices damage reduction?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
well...that.
just found the dreadnought.

is for a Human, charisma based Cavalier(using virtuous strike) so he mostly have charisma and some CON.

thanks in advance! 
Adroit Explorer has a fair amount of it, and several other good features.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
mmmm...so the level 20 feature, would allow me to use an encounter attack power.....
but the only encounter power the cavalier has is a free action, that is triggered...so i guess is kinda useless.

but the other stuff is kinda cool, 2 action points per day and DR on action point use looks kinda solid. 
You pick up an encounter power with the level 11 feature.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
Umbral Cabalist 16th level feature...
Feat: Power of Arcana
Feat: Arcane Prodigy
Specter Plate Armor +4
PP: Essence Mage

Resist all 5 at level 16 scaling to 9 in epic. Always on.

Use White Lotus Master Riposte and Arcane Admixture to punch up Virtuous Strike.

Done and done.           
is there any deity with arcane and sun as domains :P?
While not a paragon path, masterwork plate is an easy way to get a little DR without costing any feats.

Add in Deva Heritage and Radiant Recovery(?) and you got some nice durability.
Feat: Power of Arcana
Feat: Arcane Prodigy
Specter Plate Armor +4
PP: Essence Mage

Resist all 5 at level 16 scaling to 9 in epic. Always on.

Use White Lotus Master Riposte and Arcane Admixture to punch up Virtuous Strike.

Done and done.           

This is very interesting - are there any other ways (feats/items/powers) to increase existing resists? Preferably one that is always on, like the PP?

No, and there's no point anyway, powers can only be affected by one Domain (or martial style, for that matter) feat at a time.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.

No, and there's no point anyway, powers can only be affected by one Domain (or martial style, for that matter) feat at a time.

While it is true you can use only one at a time, unless the character is a pure one-trick pony, I know of several builds in which there could be a strong point to having two 'power of' feats. Either for different at wills, or different usage applied to the same at will.

Broaden your thinking and perspective; don't think in such a limited manner.

While it is true you can use only one at a time, unless the character is a pure one-trick pony, I know of several builds in which there could be a strong point to having two 'power of' feats. Either for different at wills, or different usage applied to the same at will.

Broaden your thinking and perspective; don't think in such a limited manner.

Really? You're really calling me short signed (in different words)? Of all the hypocritical nonsense on this forum ... *shakes his head* It's not a matter of lack of creativity, it's a matter of understanding how to tactically optimize characters and parties.

First of all, he was specifically talking about using the Domain feats for Virtuous Strike (since there would be no other possible options for a Human Cavalier, he can only have 1 possible power that can be augmented with a Domain feat).

There is no such thing as the strong point of a character being having two 'power of' feats except if one of them is Power of Skill. It comes down to something which I and others have argued and proven in the past: resource expenditure to gain multiple versatile at-wills is almost always sub-optimal because of the limited duration of both combats and the 'adventuring day', Party/Role optimization and expectations, and the multitude of feats, features, and items which allow versatility within a single power. Jack of All Trades, Master of None is is an annoyingly unoptimized, barely playable character; there are simply things that are neither necessary, nor useful, to be able to do at-will especially when at the cost of doing at a higher degree that which is necessary and useful.
In this specific case, as with many others, it's simply an issue of value, a /thing/ which only gets used rarely needs to be stronger to justify it's existance (this is the basis of the AEDU and Vancian power system, the things you can use less often are, supposedly, more powerful by a significant margin). He would either use Power of Arcana more or Power of the Sun more, likely by a significant margin because of how those feats work (Arcana rewards only using it while Sun's strength is relative to the number of radiant damage users in the party); the lesser used feat needs to be far more useful in the situations where it's used than the other feat is, and on a Cavalier, that simply isn't the case because they are more limited (because the domain feats only apply EonT, in order to make more than one of them worthwhile you need to be able to use more than one of them a round several times per combat) in their ability to use MBAs than many other defenders (A half-elf Knight might be able to get away with it, but ES is almost entirely better)

That was exceedingly long winded, so for the tl;dr: People mistake the ability to do something at-will with actually having a reason to do it at-will. Either Arcane or Sun will be the better choice (depending on party) 75% of the time, spending a feat for -1 hit +3/5/8 damage on 2 (out of 8/enc) attacks an encounter is not a smart feat choice.

Addressing Racind_Rogue: You can't Arcane Admixture Virtuous Strike just because you took Power of Arcana, the keywords aren't modified until you choose to use the Power of Arcana when you attack.  Not sure where you get Resist 9 in Epic, Essence Mage gives +3 resist OR +4 if you're in Epic, thus you'd have Resist All 6 which is trivial.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Really? You're really calling me short signed (in different words)?

No, I was saying you were being narrow-minded. Similar, but different.
Of all the hypocritical nonsense on this forum ... *shakes his head* It's not a matter of lack of creativity, it's a matter of understanding how to tactically optimize characters and parties.

First of all, he was specifically talking about using the Domain feats for Virtuous Strike (since there would be no other possible options for a Human Cavalier, he can only have 1 possible power that can be augmented with a Domain feat).

Your statement seemed much broader than a specific reply to the OP, and I was answering it as such. In his specific case, it may be less than optimal to select two power of feats, but that doesn't mean there is no point. It means it is sub-optimal. Only looking at the most optimized option is being narrow minded. And before you go off on how this is the CharOp forum... many (a LOT) of posts here are not about how to do the most optimized thing ever, but how to optimize something interesting, within the restrictions of keeping it interesting (interesting to the initiator of the build/thread - it is a subjective matter at best).

There is no such thing as the strong point of a character being having two 'power of' feats except if one of them is Power of Skill. It comes down to something which I and others have argued and proven in the past: resource expenditure to gain multiple versatile at-wills is almost always sub-optimal because of the limited duration of both combats and the 'adventuring day', Party/Role optimization and expectations, and the multitude of feats, features, and items which allow versatility within a single power. Jack of All Trades, Master of None is is an annoyingly unoptimized, barely playable character; there are simply things that are neither necessary, nor useful, to be able to do at-will especially when at the cost of doing at a higher degree that which is necessary and useful.

To repeat myself, it may not be the most optimal route, but having two power of... feats can be a strong point to many builds, including those who are 5th man, or rely on party op rather than character op, etc. Again, it may never (or it may...) be the most optimized, but that doesn't meant here is no point.
In this specific case, as with many others, it's simply an issue of value, a /thing/ which only gets used rarely needs to be stronger to justify it's existance (this is the basis of the AEDU and Vancian power system, the things you can use less often are, supposedly, more powerful by a significant margin). He would either use Power of Arcana more or Power of the Sun more, likely by a significant margin because of how those feats work (Arcana rewards only using it while Sun's strength is relative to the number of radiant damage users in the party); the lesser used feat needs to be far more useful in the situations where it's used than the other feat is, and on a Cavalier, that simply isn't the case because they are more limited (because the domain feats only apply EonT, in order to make more than one of them worthwhile you need to be able to use more than one of them a round several times per combat) in their ability to use MBAs than many other defenders (A half-elf Knight might be able to get away with it, but ES is almost entirely better)

That was exceedingly long winded, so for the tl;dr: People mistake the ability to do something at-will with actually having a reason to do it at-will. Either Arcane or Sun will be the better choice (depending on party) 75% of the time, spending a feat for -1 hit +3/5/8 damage on 2 (out of 8/enc) attacks an encounter is not a smart feat choice.

Versatility can be, in many campaigns and outside of theory op labs, a strong point in itself. Aside from the 5th man argument above, what if it is a smaller party of -3 characters, in a campaign/world who absolutely need to be versatile? Sometimes, versatility, or the jack of all trades syndrome, actually is better - even though on paper and in labs it can be theoretically proven to be patently worse. Again, you're taking a narrow view, in which you're right and everyone else is wrong.
Ah, so you're switching what you said to a different pejorative. I guess mine remains valid.

Regardless, 4e is full of Murphys Law, I will never give advice that leads to it. My choice of words that "There is no such thing as the strong point of a character being having two 'power of' feats ..." was poorly made. I should have added "an optimized character with" inbetween 'as' and 'the'. You can certainly make a character where any given terrible choice is the "strong point" of the character assuming you made other choices that were of equal or lesser value. Every character has to have something they're good at compared to the other things they do, the CharOp directive is to ensure that the character is good at that thing compared to other characters who are also good at that thing (and that that thing is useful/necessary), and the other things that the character isn't as good at either aren't so bad compared to other characters that do that thing well or that that thing isn't useful/necessary.

Since that last sentence is full of vague terms, essentially the goal is to always make choices that help the PC fit their archetype/role better while not neglecting other aspects of the game. Unnecessary versatility is the opposite of this, making choices that marginally benefit off-role aspects at the cost of benefiting the main role less. This is as true for the Dedicated Leader as it is for the 5th man. Actually, 5th man should always be a striker, so it's really 6th man who needs to have some degree of versatility, but even in versatility you can excel at the various aspects of versatility you choose, a good example is the little red corvette taxi build used by one of LDBs party members, Monk|Bard/Evermeet Warlock is far from optimal, but he doesn't spend his feats on augmenting things which won't be useful the majority of the time.

D&D's balance is tenuous, and at times bent amid it's own rules, abstract settings and abnormal player count twist the balance even further, often to the point that in order to make that table work you simply aren't playing D&D anymore. Comments I make about D&D only apply to D&D, not to games that already exist outside the rules, because my view is of how 4e D&D works. Calling me narrow minded for this view is as absurd as calling me narrow minded for telling someone to never play a vampire when clearly in Vampire: The Masquerade playing a vampire is almost required.
Sign In to post comments