Will you buy anymore 4e

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
With  5 e being announced. I am wondering if anyone will be buying any of the new releases upcoming for the 4 e.  do you think they (wotc) shot them self in the foot?  
I will probably buy Heroes of the Elemental Chaos, but right now my money is tight and tied up in other gaming stuff. So, while 5e announcement may make me hesitate slightly I will probably still buy all the same books I would have bought anyway.
I_Roll_20s @twitter. Not always SFW. I may prefer 4e, but I will play and enjoy almost any edition, and indeed almost any table top RPG, with my friends. Down with Edition Wars. Shut up and roll your dice. :P
Since the only thing 5e seems to promise is being able to mimic editions I don't care too much about, I don't really see an urgent need to drop 4e like a rock. If I see a book that looks really good, i'll buy it.

Heroes of the Elemental Chaos, beyond finally providing a proper theme for my charactter, doesn't seem to look too great from the previews. So i might not buy it, but thats entirely due to its current perceived quality, and has nothing to do with Wizard's future plans (unless those future plans decreased the quality of HoEC, then i suppose they did).  

I'll still buy a 4e book if it's a good book. Sometimes I don't even use a book (such as Essentials), I just read it to see what it's like.

I haven't bought anything since DSCS, though.

4e is now a lame duck game, no doubt about it; the successor has been named and it is Next ;).

There's still a few things in the pipline that look interesting.  Heroes of the Elemental Chaos, Menzoberranzan, the new Realms book by Greenwood (I wouldn't be suprised if it's edition neutral).  

I've bought D&D hardcovers and boxed sets month after month, year after year; an edition change doesn't even slow me down anymore.  It's actually an exciting time for me (other than that, I'm as normal as the rest of ya ;)).

/\ Art
Yes, i plan to get Heroes of the Elemental Chaos , Halls of Undermountain and Menzoberranzan.

Considering we wont get D&D Next until at least GenCOn 2013, the latest of that will still have a year of use (and much of it is edition independent anyway).
So far 4E is my favorite edition. So, untill I get the time and money to invest in an entire new edition of D&D I will be putting my time and money into 4E.
I will be buying almost all of the 4e material currently on the future release schedule.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.

There's still a few things in the pipline that look interesting.  Heroes of the Elemental Chaos, Menzoberranzan, the new Realms book by Greenwood (I wouldn't be suprised if it's edition neutral).  

I've bought D&D hardcovers and boxed sets month after month, year after year; an edition change doesn't even slow me down anymore.  It's actually an exciting time for me (other than that, I'm as normal as the rest of ya ;)).

That sums up my thoughts exactly!
lol, no.
The 5e announcement won't cause me to forgo any purchase.
No, but I'd already stopped buying anything, the 5E announcement didn't change that.

If they don't get 5E out for this Christmas I can't imagine 2013 being a good year for them.

@mikemearls don't quite understand the difference

I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down. - Eric Cartman

Enough chitchat!  Time is candy! - Pinky Pie

First off, I don't need to buy anything because I have DDI and that gets me all the crunch that I need.

That said, I buy things that represent design philosophies and execution that I think are deserving of positive feedback (and, not coincidentally, I will value if DDI eventually goes away).  That so far has included:

PHB1,2,3
DMG1,2
Arcane/Divine/Martial/Primal/Psionic Power, MP2
EB,FR,DS campaign guide/setting
Heroes of the Feywild

It does not include:
HoFL/FK/Shadow/Neverwinter

Each product is a case by case basis.  I bought Feywild because its classes, overall, are awesome and fun.  It's dramatically better than any of the other Heroes books.

I may buy Elements, I may not.  We shall have to see.  I'm very likely to buy 5e, but that doesn't mean that my 4e group is going to just stop.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
If there's any good fluff, f-yeah, just like I implement the BoED (I know, dirty word).

Editions transcend to me (the really good stuff). 
No, I stopped buying 4e stuff a long time ago.
And when the last 4e game I was in wrapped?  Then I stopped playing 4e.

And yes, I think WoTC shot themselves in the foot - but they did that long before any hint of 5e.
I don't see any point in buying 4e books anymore .
I stopped buying books after Dark Sun players book, but jumped back in for HoS and HoFeywild.  I'm excited for HoEC, honestly.  Planning to run a game with just the FR, Eberron, Dark Sun books and Heroes of Planes books has got me more excited about D&D than I've been in a long time.

As for 5e, I don't feel 'finished' with 4e at this point, and my plan is to continue with 4e as my D&D system until such time as I do feel 'finished' with it.
Every time that a new D&D edition gets announced, I will eventually stop buying stuff for the old edition and just wait for the new one to be released. I may wrap up some things if there's still a game going on but that's pretty much it. 

Still, I have pretty much everything I want regarding 4E material and many more stuff that I haven't even touched due to the big amount of it and the short time - I don't need anything more.

So, in short, no.
And yes, I think WoTC shot themselves in the foot - but they did that long before any hint of 5e.

I agree with this statement maybe due to the fact that Wotc never ceased to incur in that old problem: too much stuff released too soon with very little playtesting and lots of errata.
I'm unlikely to buy any RP books in paper form ever again.

There are a few 4E books that the PDFs or some other sort of e-publishing would seriously tempt me - Eberron, Feywild, and Arcane Power  come to mind. And if what we're hearing about 5E turns out to be true, I might buy even more 4E stuff. 
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
Nah, I pretty much use D&DI instead of books.  I would only buy the books if the CB, MB and Compendium didn't support them.

I've been saying, WotC should charge extra for extra book material in those tools.  And then give themselves or even cooler FLGS, the ability to get the extra digital material when you order/purchase the hardcopy material.
I've been running the prepared adventures over the course of the time that 4e has run, we started game day 2008 and the party has just reached level 20 last saturday.  I think i'm going to keep my D&DI subscription but other than that.. probably not. 

Here's to hoping we can get through the last 10 levels before Next is released.
I'll buy the Elemental Heroes book and probably the Dungeon Survival Guide so that my collection is complete, but I'll probably pass on Menzoberranzan. I'm not interested in edition neutral Drow books. I've already got a truckload of drow fluff books from previous editions so unless its something incredible I'll pass.

The Undermountain adventure should be fun so I'll pick that up too. I have a HUGE collection of old adventures so I always pick up the new ones. Adventures are my favorite part of every RPG so this is a must have for me.
I'll be picking up everything I can and downloading all the Dragon/Dungeon back issues because from what I've seen of 5E, my friends and I will be sticking with 4E until at least 6E comes around and, despite WotC's claims of continued support, I do NOT trust them to keep supporting the 4E tools for more than a year or so after the launch of 5E.

Then I'll have a complete set which, just like my complete set of OWoD Mage (i.e. Purple Book), I'll be able to play with for years and years and years to come while 5E sinks like a lead balloon because trying to be all things to all people will invariably just leave no one actually satisfied.
Demand will almost certainly die off as people quite logically as themself "why buy a book that'll be obsolete this time next year?"

For me personally, I have the same policy I've always had.  If it's good (PH1, PH2, HotFw) I'll buy it.  If it sucks (PH3, HotFK, HotFL, HoS) I won't.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

That is to say if there will be many more releases for 4th after this summer hits. D&DXP was a disappointment for the announcements of upcoming products. Since they let go of Steve Winters and Mr Baker they obviously can't afford to keep a lot of personnel around. What little they have will be sucked into the designing/development of D&D Next.
It really depends on the quality of the books. That's all.
I'll be picking up everything I can and downloading all the Dragon/Dungeon back issues because from what I've seen of 5E, my friends and I will be sticking with 4E until at least 6E comes around and, despite WotC's claims of continued support, I do NOT trust them to keep supporting the 4E tools for more than a year or so after the launch of 5E.

You've seen enough of 5E, let alone anything at all of 5E, to be able to judge if it's worth playing or not.  How astounding!  You must be a very rich person, being able to see into the future like you must be able to.

@mikemearls don't quite understand the difference

I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down. - Eric Cartman

Enough chitchat!  Time is candy! - Pinky Pie

With  5 e being announced. I am wondering if anyone will be buying any of the new releases upcoming for the 4 e.  do you think they (wotc) shot them self in the foot?  

There's some 3pp material I will buy. WotC has not had my business for a long time now so this doesn't really change anything.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
The content of the upcoming books and Dungeon seems to be switching to a focus on "edition-neutral" Forgotten Realms fluff. I'm not the least bit interested in that, so I don't think I'll be buying much.