Gravecrawler and Rooftop Storm

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can you pay 0 to cast Gravecrawler from the Graveyard with Rooftop Storm out?
Sure.

Storm only cares that you are casting a zombie spell, it doesn't care where you cast it from.
… and then, the squirrels came.
Thought so! Just wanted to clarify, thanks!
I am sorry to "flashback" an old post from the graveyard, but another ruling I had contact with recently has cause me to rethink this. That ruling was regarding Epic Expirement and Overload. The ruling said that you cannot pay for overload from within the Epic Experiment because you can only choose one alternate casting cost per spell. Is this not the same thing?
next time please create a new thread

with Rooftop Storm you cannot use alternative costs
Gravecrawler doesn't have an alternative cost, it just allows you to cast it from a different zone
proud member of the 2011 community team
no you are not paying an alternate cost for the gravecrawler you are simply casting it from a place other than your hand.
That makes more sense, if it was flashback instead of it's current wording, it would not work right? By that logic you cannot cast zombies that have flash via rooftop storm during the other players turn?

edit: wait I guess thats the same thing so you CAN flash zombies...

Gravecaller allows you to cast it from an unusual place.

111.1. A spell is a card on the stack. As the first step of being cast (...), the card (...) is moved to the top of the stack from the zone it was in, which is usually its owner’s hand...

Rooftop provides an alternative cost.
117.9. Some spells have alternative costs. ( ... ) Alternative costs are usually phrased, “You may [action] rather than pay [this object’s] mana cost”…
601.2. To cast a spell... 601.2b (...) the player announces his or her intentions to pay (...) costs (...). A player can’t apply (...) two alternative costs to a single spell...

That makes more sense, if it was flashback instead of it's current wording, it would not work right? By that logic you cannot cast zombies that have flash via rooftop storm during the other players turn?

edit: wait I guess thats the same thing so you CAN flash zombies...

Flash is also not an alternative cost
it just allows you to cast it at an unusual time, just like Gravecrawler allows you to cast it from an unusual place

an example of an alternative cost would be Evoke
proud member of the 2011 community team