HotEC Preview: The Sha'Ir: Well, at least it's not a Witch?

66 posts / 0 new
Last post
Obligatory Link.

Another familiar based Wizard build.... and some familiars unique to it.

2cp for your thoughts? (Actually, I might just go hide behind something instead)
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
The eye-strain I get from rolling my eyes when I see more Wizard support prevents me from actually taking note of anything in this preview.
I seriously hope they're including feats to make your familiar not a squishy joke.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
I'm getting a serious deja vu from reading this. Reads almost exactly like the witch, except with an elemental flavor.
Djinnling+Agile Opportunist, but also UGH WIZARD BLOAT. If I didn't already half expect this to book to be a waste of design space I'd be more sickened by this.
So, it's... really just a Wizard with a free feat instead of an implement mastery? And in fact you lose your spellbook and ritual casting, too?

The exclusive familiars are sort of ok, I guess, though as Zathris points out keeping an active familiar alive can actually be pretty tricky, and the class features don't seem to do much to solve that.

Oh, and there's a free resistance, but you have to pick it at the end of an extended rest, it only applies to a single type, it doesn't stack, it requires adjacency to your active familiar, and it's going to be a smaller amount than almost any other source of resistance in the game until level 4 at the earliest.
Meh. Given the 3.5 version was a cha based spontaneous caster they could have atleast gone for a Sorcerer build w/ the familiar feat instead of yet another wizard. 
Atleast the witch had some decent thematics to its mechanics. This could have just been more familiars for you know, anyone who wants a familiar.

Doesn't the horrible resistance just last till the familiar dies anyway?

This subclass seems to have been printed simply because they wanted to print more wizard support. Should it even be called support? Maybe just weight. The wizard is plenty solid without it.
Really ... HotFW gave Wizards all of 2 useful powers, and only one fit a standard build.

@PChubby: Elementalist will be a Sorcerer build
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
So completely identical to the witch it's really embarrassing.  
Yeah, a witch with a couple of (admittedly good) unique familiars?

So ridiculously pointless.  Just add the familiars and let everyone have access.  This build is utterly unnecessary.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
So, it's... really just a Wizard with a free feat instead of an implement mastery? And in fact you lose your spellbook and ritual casting, too?

They do have a sort of spellbook, actually.
Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal. But the good name never dies of one who has done well. Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal. But I know one thing that never dies: the glory of the great dead. - [i]Hávamál[/i] D&D 4th Edition Bard builds: The Dashing Swordsman, The Master of Sound and Illusions, The Warrior Skald Captain Morality! (No point in not having fun with it. )
It even appears to be better than a spellbook (which I frankly don't consider that useful to begin with), I read it as getting to choose between every daily attack/utiilty spell, but you can only change 1 spell per day.
If for some reason I wanted to make a wizard, I might be this just for the air familiar and its Agile Opportunist Enabling/Backwards Shifty goodness. 

If there was some way to hybrid this thing with a Swordmage or some other Defenderlike thing and get the Earth familiar that could be ok, saves you the hand slot if you wanted Antipathy Gloves and gets them at Level 1.

Their spellbook feature is much better too, since if you know you're going to the fire plane that day you pick an ice daily, for undeads you get a radiant daily, etc etc.  The normal spellbook is much more useless since generally you've already taken the best choice for your level, and the 2nd best isn't going to be more effective all that often (or at least not predictably so).  On the other hand even a retarded chimpanzee could probably find one daily amongst all the insane wizard bloat that fits his upcoming day perfectly.  Tastes like 3.5e (Maybe Sorcs will get to break the action economy in half with their new content? A man can dream.)

Even though its Wizard bloat, at least its useful Wizard bloat so far, as opposed to say useless underpowered Monk stuff.
The Direct Damage Sorcerer of 3.5e: The Mailman
Another book I'm not buying hooray.

Nah, it's nearly twice as good as the witch.  (meaning it's decent).

1) You get spell book at level 1 instead of 24
2) You get resist.
3) Djinnling has an awsome passive.  Daolanin isn't bad either.  The other 2 arn't much better then normal familars.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

WotC really phoned this one in.

2) You get resist.
3) Djinnling has an awsome passive.  Daolanin isn't bad either.  The other 2 arn't much better then normal familars.

Still worse in basically all respects than a plain Arcanist Wizard, and thus pointless to waste trees publishing.  Plus, YET another controller Wizard build.  At this point the Wizard almosthas more subclasses than any other two classes put together (Arcanist, Mage, Bladesinger, Witch, Sha'Ir), and they're ALL Arcane Controllers.  Compare the three classes with the next highest numbers of subclasses - Fighter (Weaponmaster, Slayer, Knight) and Warlock (Warlock, Binder, Hexblade (and the binder is basically a non-class, so it barely counts...) and Paladin (Paladin, Cavalier, Blackguard) - not only do these vary their role, but they do things differently when they don't - the Knight is a radically different Defender from the Fighter, for instance, and the Hexblade from the Warlock.

More cookie-cutter cardboard Wizards are just wasting book space which could be more interesting.

Now, the new familiars are nice, but they're remain nice if they were just... a page of new familiars and everything else was left out.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
There might be some value in giving your entire party resistance of your choice every day. But in general, yeah, I'm not feeling it.
"...Sha'irs cull magical energy from the Elemental Chaos to power their spells. Rather than pore over ancient formulas and techniques, these wizards bargain with elemental powers for the magical knowledge they need...."  from the excerpts

This has probably been stated previously, but isn't a Sha'ir a warlock then, afterall you're bargaining for your elemental powers.  The lack of ritual casting and such has also been standard for 'locks.  Maybe there was a typo! 

The Djinnling all by itself is a hugely attractive feature. +1 basic attack per round for the party striker? Don't mind if I do. (Doesn't work with all strikers, of course. A WLMR Hexblade or Riposte Scoundrel will just spit cuss words at you if you suggest taking Agile Opportunist. But it's golden for many other builds.)

Meanwhile, the liberal spell-swapping goes quite a way toward off-setting the lack of Arcanist implement or Mage specialization benefits. 

An Arcanist or Mage by itself would trump this build, but when you add the powerful minor-action Leader secondary role? I think the Djinnling version of this build competes.
So, it isn't terrible, but I just don't see the point.  Why play this when you could play an Arcanist or a Mage?

Personally, I'm hoping for a feat that lets other wizards get the elemental familiar that doesn't require you to swap out something great.  Like, say, swap the spellbook class ability for the genie familiar + sha-ir's way of picking spells.  That way it's open to every1 wizard subclass

1 Except the Witch.  That's best forgotten anyway.

2) You get resist.

Still worse in basically all respects than a plain Arcanist Wizard

How so?

1) Spell book -> Better spellbook.
2) Ritual Casting -> familar
3) impliment power -> improved familar
4) 3 pre-selected cantrips -> 4 selectable cantrips.
5) bonus rituals -> resist.

Seems more or less even to me...   depending on what familar / impliment you pick

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

One familiar is not a class in isolation.  Even though it's a very good benefit, it's nothing, that you can't pick up from an MC power swap with Runepriest, andit relies on other members of your party co-operating.  Lovely, but it doesn't make it a good class, it makes it a good familiar that is tied pointlessly to an otherwise pointless class.
One familiar is not a class in isolation.  Even though it's a very good benefit, it's nothing, that you can't pick up from an MC power swap with Runepriest, andit relies on other members of your party co-operating.  Lovely, but it doesn't make it a good class, it makes it a good familiar that is tied pointlessly to an otherwise pointless class.

One encounter power doesn't make for a good class either.

You could powerswap for a interupt defense bonus as well.  (or well, just take shield), or a free action attack boost, or a reroll.  Tomes are at least more unique, but i don't see how it's better then "saving" 2 feats.

Orbs are a high point for arcanist, but require a certain build. 

guides
Power
my builds

Arcanists get 4 Cantrips of their choice as of last week.  Just FYI.

You could powerswap for a interupt defense bonus as well.  (or well, just take shield), or a free action attack boost, or a reroll.  Tomes are at least more unique, but i don't see how it's better then "saving" 2 feats.

Rune of the Astral Winds is at-will, minor action, big slide.  It's a 10U, but there you go.

I'm not saying the familiar is bad; it's brilliant.  But it's still a familiar, and it still could have been freely accessible instead of being tied to an otherwise entirely lacklustre class.  One good familiar does not make a good class.

And from a flavour perspective, why is it that only this species of Wizard can capture these four familiars?  It doesn't feel right to me to limit them - even a level 30 planeshaper or sage of ages or lorekeeper can't track down an efreetkin, but a level 1 elemental wizard can?  Wut?

Arcanists get 4 Cantrips of their choice as of last week.  Just FYI.

Well then...  

I'd concede arcanist are generally better.  But i don't concede that the new build is a waste of space, like the witch is.
(over kill for wizard support? absolutely.  There's no reason this couldn't be a sorcerer).

Efreetkin is a bit of a waste though.  The damage should really scale.

guides
Power
my builds

Rune of the Astral Winds is at-will, minor move action, big slide.  It's a 10U, but there you go.

Bigger slide, yes, but IMO action economy actually makes the familar better.  Plus you don't waste 2 feats, one a MC feat with no stat synergy, and your level 10 slot.

guides
Power
my builds

Like I say, very good familiar.  No reason whatsoever to limit it to one particular class.
Like I say, very good familiar.  No reason whatsoever to limit it to one particular class.

Same reason you have an impliment powers limited to 1 class.  Or sneak attack limited to 1 class.  To make them different.

Now the sad part is that even if you took a normal familar, you'd still beat witches.

guides
Power
my builds

Eh, they're all supposed to be super-familiars. The aquatic one would be very powerful in the right campaign. Generating difficult terrain can be leveraged nicely, etc. Some of them fall short of the others, of course.

I can see the point of limiting super-familiars to a given class, as part of its "niche." YMMV.

This pairs nicely with the spell-swapping, because there's little point in this class purchasing specialized casting feats. It can use those slots for familiar feats, instead.

I'll say the same thing I said about the Berserker: There's some nice design theory here. Maybe it doesn't blow past the existing benchmarks, but that wasn't the designer's goals. Making the game more brokener is purely a CharOp objective.  

Eh, they're all supposed to be super-familiars. The aquatic one would be very powerful in the right campaign. Generating difficult terrain can be leveraged nicely, etc. Some of them fall short of the others, of course.

I can see the point of limiting super-familiars to a given class, as part of its "niche." YMMV.

This pairs nicely with the spell-swapping, because there's little point in this class purchasing specialized casting feats. It can use those slots for familiar feats, instead.

I'll say the same thing I said about the Berserker: There's some nice design theory here. Maybe it doesn't blow past the existing benchmarks, but that wasn't the designer's goals. Making the game more brokener is purely a CharOp objective.  

Maybe they could be Paragon, or even Epic, otherwise (probably should be, in fact) - I'd be fine with the Sha'Ir getting them earlier than everyone else.  But it makes no sense for no-oine else to be able to get them at all.  My epic Wizard is regularly dominating the minds of full efree and djinn, and he can't capture a little familiar version?
it'd be nice if the efreetkin resistance stacked with the class based one you get and the likely choice of  Genasi

the familiars are pretty solid, but I'm in pretty firm agreement... this should have been a warlock or a sorc, but really a warlock probably.
Wow, i really like these uber-familiars. Coupled with the fact that you are allowed to actually choose your encounter power makes this build a decent choice, and elemental conduit is quite strong... You lose spellbook (so what?), and the fact that you have to choose a secondary stat isn't really the best thing, but at least it's viable.

Edit: ah, you actually have a spellbook-like feature. Interesting. Kinda pidgeonholed into Genasi, though, but i suppose that Earth Djinn + Terrain Advantage could be quite strong at low level.

Chauntea/Lathander/Torm Cleric since 1995 My husband married a DM - καλὸς καὶ ἀγαθός

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/14.jpg)

Maybe they could be Paragon, or even Epic, otherwise (probably should be, in fact) - I'd be fine with the Sha'Ir getting them earlier than everyone else.  But it makes no sense for no-oine else to be able to get them at all.  My epic Wizard is regularly dominating the minds of full efree and djinn, and he can't capture a little familiar version?

Sometimes game balance trumps narrative consistency.  I think the comparison to Sneak Attack was valid and useful.  Rogues are the only ones who get SA damage, which simulates pricking someone in a weak spot while their guard is down, even though it's incredible to assert that only rogues can prick people in their weak spots when their guards are down.  It's strictly better than other striker damage features, but stays balanced by dint of being chained to a narrower (generally weaker) selection of weapons and a class that would, without its benefit, be strictly weaker than other options.

Same goes for these familiars.  They're strictly better than other familiars, and that's only permissible because they're chained to a strictly weaker variety of wizards.  If you need narrative consistency, refluff a dragonling.  It's easy - just replace the 'rago' with 'jin'.
"When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish." D&D Outsider
Rogues are the only ones who get SA damage, which simulates pricking someone in a weak spot while their guard is down, even though it's incredible to assert that only rogues can prick people in their weak spots when their guards are down.  It's strictly better than other striker damage features, but stays balanced by dint of being chained to a narrower (generally weaker) selection of weapons and a class that would, without its benefit, be strictly weaker than other options.

As far as I can tell, the +1//2d6 nature of Sneak attack when compared to Hunter's Quarry is to make up for the fact that you have to use a light blade instead of an executioner's Axe.  Notice the other extra die at Epic, when your base weapon damage goes from 1[W] to 2[W].

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

I'd concede arcanist are generally better.  But i don't concede that the new build is a waste of space, like the witch is.
(over kill for wizard support? absolutely.  There's no reason this couldn't be a sorcerer).

Not quite.
To be more specific, there's no reason this shouldn't be a sorcerer.

Read the fluff, the jen is created out of you and elemental chaos stuff and goes out to bargain with elemental entities. Other than a U2, I dont see a lot of wizards being decent bargainers. Without seeing the powers list, I cant say where the focus actually lies, but this group of Devs doesnt know how to separate Elemental from Blaster so I'm betting that this a striker build anyway. Sorcs need whatever decent support this book can give them, maybe we'll get lucky and see a combined spell list with a series of INT or CHA powers.
......More wizard goodies?

......More wizard goodies!

......More wizard goodies.

*commits suicide*
Yes, more wizard support makes my eyes bleed as well.

Wotc is responding to that amount that wizards are played. I am fairly sure that as many or more wizards are played than all other controllers combined. Wizard is an iconic class, and are simply very popular.
Yes, more wizard support makes my eyes bleed as well. Wotc is responding to that amount that wizards are played. I am fairly sure that as many or more wizards are played than all other controllers combined. Wizard is an iconic class, and are simply very popular.

They also have the most support, which is why they have more players.

Thus...
More Players -> more support -> more players -> more support...

guides
Power
my builds