01/25/2012 BoaB: "Fateful Ooze"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I need scissors, 61!
the first think i thought when i saw Fateful Hour was Suicide Phyrexians (www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...)
Although some cards rotated, i think it could be combined, but i'm worried about the mana.

The second deck looks a little expensive, but still very nice. It's good JVL gave us 2 decks this week. It's shame DKA isnt released yet, im hungry to know how these decks would do.
Nice Johnnyriffic-yet-competitive decks. And I'm amused (and faintly boggled) by a column that aims for Spikey tournament competitiveness linking to a Noel deCorva article
sorry to be a scrub but whats the point in having necrotic ooze in the second deck? just to copy the lich if it gets killed?

I'm usually the guy who defends JVL when people complain about his view of the concept of "budget" and the direction he gives this column, but here, I can't help but raise eyebrows a little bit. In the first half of the article, he hypes a good number of high-profile rares that his supposed target audience will likely decide they can't afford, and his second deck is based on a mythic rare that presells for 15$ apiece and uses a number of other popular rares. Yes, the total cost of the deck remains very reasonable, but that the focus is put on a hyped mythic, a very narrow one to boot, rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

That said, I like the first deck a lot. It’s original, well thought out and truly budget, save maybe for the Moorland Haunts, which aren’t necessary.

On a more general note, linked to Jacob's mention of Evolving Wilds as budget mana fixing, I’d like him to not refrain from using the core set dual lands wherever they are good (for example, Glacial Fortress in the first list, Drowned Catacomb in the second). These are very cheap (from 2 to 5 dollars) since they have been reprinted three times, and you can never go wrong with a playset of a given combination if you intend to play several decks with these colors on the long term. They’re the opposite of narrow. Oh, and Evolving Wilds interacts favorably with them for a very solid mana base without the need of any other kind of dual! Anyone who berates JVL for putting those in his decks would be completely silly IMO. If your budget is that tight, this is not the column for you since it has a competitive focus.

sorry to be a scrub but whats the point in having necrotic ooze in the second deck? just to copy the lich if it gets killed?

Yes, it's the Ooze's only use here, but it's a clever form of protection for the centerpiece of the deck. Provided that the Ooze stays on the battlefield long enough for you to recast the Lich, from there your opponent cannot stop you from having access to the Lich's ability with creature removal unless he can kill both at the same time or exile the Lich.
Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
The Fateful Hour deck is a great example of building on a budget. In fact, I would say it is more budget than strictly necessary. I like your white token deck with the flashback colour splahes from last week more though - I think it has more gusto. That, and I am not rating Fateful Hour that highly. If it turns out to be big, this could be alright.

Ooze The Man however, I think is outside the building on a budget sphere. Black Sun Zenith and a Mythic Rare that also is super cool and will find lots of use on the kitchen table? I think this one is too much dinero. But you gave us two, one of which is on the mark, so well played sir.

The Fateful Hour deck is a great example of building on a budget. In fact, I would say it is more budget than strictly necessary. I like your white token deck with the flashback colour splahes from last week more though - I think it has more gusto. That, and I am not rating Fateful Hour that highly. If it turns out to be big, this could be alright.

Ooze The Man however, I think is outside the building on a budget sphere. Black Sun Zenith and a Mythic Rare that also is super cool and will find lots of use on the kitchen table? I think this one is too much dinero. But you gave us two, one of which is on the mark, so well played sir.