Edition wars and how we can prevent them

As Mike and Monte have mentioned, this next iteration of D&D is intended to have a core set of rules and options that appeal to players of different editions. This also means that when we're providing feedback, we should be able to talk about the strengths and weaknesses of all the D&D editions without insulting each other, our favorite edition(s), the designers, or our play styles… all the stuff that contributes to edition wars.

We would like to ask for your help in avoiding going down these paths when you post.  We should all be able to talk about the things we like and don't like without turning on the flames, getting personal, or doing the internet equivalent of yelling at each other or the designers.

For our part, we here at Wizards are going to be more strict and active when it comes to these edition warring comments. Anything that attacks or belittles an edition, its players, or a play style is what we're looking to shut down.

We'll be keeping our eyes out for any of the above behavior, but if you see someone contributing to the edition wars, please report it. While I can't cover everything that falls into this category, I wanted to leave you with a few of the more common bits of conversation that we've seen in the past as guidelines to get you thinking about how you should and shouldn't be talking to us and each other on these forums.

• Okay: #E really captures what I think D&D is all about.

• Not Okay: #E is the real D&D, and everything else is just some other game.

•  

• Okay: #E just doesn't really do it for me. I didn't like a lot of what they did.

• Not Okay: #E sucks.

•  

• Okay: I don't like #E because it took away a lot of the complexity I liked from #E.

• Not Okay: #E is a dumbed down version of D&D.

•  

• Okay: I personally like #E the best, though of course everyone should play what they like.

• Not Okay: I don't get people who play #E,  I mean seriously, how can you play a game that bad?

•  

• Okay: I know people feel that [insert designer/creator] did a lot for the game and #E, but I just don't like most of what he's added.

• Not Okay: [Insert designer/creator] is a total hack and everything he did ruined #E and the game.

•  

Thank you for your help with this.  By working together here, we can make some big improvements to the community that will benefit us all.

Trevor Kidd Community Manager