Crit Powers

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Natebone's thread on Sunder and Disarm gave me an idea.

Why does crit have to be all about extra damage? For pacifist clerics, for example, or fighters that still won't give any real damage output, or somone who simple thinks there are other more effective ways to celeberate a critical hit than with maxed damage dice, why would the extra damage matter?

This has already been done, exchanging critical damage for other effects, with items such as Symbol of The Holy Nimbus and a few other weapons/implements that give additional benefits on a crit.
I'd like to expand on that notion, to a point where each player can use any of numeral "Crit Powers". These powers usually negate the critical damage of the attack, but grant an appropriate benefit instead.

The only thing I don't like about these powers are the fact that they negate all "Critical" lines on weapons and implements. I'll try to find a good way around that, and add it in when I do. 

Here we go!

Sunder
Any melee compatant could pick this one up. This is what I'd use on my Heroic Paladin. -2 to -6 to AC for the rest of the encounter is far superior to roughly 7 extra damage, especially on a BBEG!

Sunder
You get the opportune moment to strike hard. Do you take this chance to critically wound your opponent, or diminish his performance severely.
At-Will Martial
Free Action - 
Target:One creature
Trigger: You score a critical hit with a weapon attack.
Effect: The triggering attack's damage dice are not maximized.. You sunder the target creature's armor, shield or natural defenses in a way you and your DM deem appropriate. The target gains a penalty to AC up to a number equal to your weapons enhancement modifier. If you choose to sunder the target creature's shield you break the shield, giving it an appropriate -1 or -2 penalty to AC and Reflex, but freeing the hand previously holding that shield.
Special: This penalty lasts until the target takes any measure of repairing his sundered defenses.

Mindmeld
This is one I just came up with. I can see how a critical hit on Gaze of Defiance would do something amazing fluff-wise, but mechanically it just gets a slight damage increase. The damage doesn't become viable until you gain a better implement, but bear in mind that the enemy's HP also scales...
For a controller I would love this, being able to lock down an opponent for a turn, and gaining some extra range for my powers. I could even try to throw my dominated creature of a clif, or simple move it into a square adjacent to my defender. All of these are better than some measly extra damage. There are a few fighter and warlord attacks that don't really mesh with this, hence the "implement" bit.

Mindmeld
You break your target's mental defenses and see the opportunity to gain control over his mind for a short period of time. 
At-Will
Free Action
Target: One creature
Trigger: You score a critical hit with an implement attack that targets Will.
Effect: The triggering attack's damage dice are not maximized.. You enter the creature's mind, effectively being in two places at once. The target is dominated until the end of your next turn. In addition, you can use the target's square for determening line of sight and line of effect for all powers that target Will until the end of your next turn.

Break the soundwall
Things that target reflex: Bolts of all sorts and monks unarmed attacks. Most of these are some kind of projectile, and you usually block these attacks with a shield or try to dodghe them completely. A critical hit is an attack that moves so fast there was no way to dodge or block it.

Break the Soundwall
There was NO WAY he was going to dodge that!
At-Will
Free Action
Trigger: You score a critical hit with a melee or ranged attack that targets Reflex.
Effect: The triggering attack's damage dice are not maximized.. The target takes Thunder and Force damage equal to your Primary Ability Score Modifier and is pushed half that amount.

Knock-out.
Most melee attacks that attack fortitude are usually shield-pushes or bullrushes of some sort. I hope the flavour of this one works with most melee fortitude attacks. 

Knock-out blow.
With a loud crack you send your foe flying. He is not recovering from that hit anytime soon!
At-Will
Free Action
Trigger: You score a critical hit with an melee attack that targets Fortitude.
Effect: The triggering attack's damage dice are not maximized.. You deal extra damage to the target equal to your Primary Ability Score Modifier and knock the target prone. The target cannot stand until the end of its next turn.

I've yet to look through the Warlock for some inspiration, but there will most likely be a Saving Throw-related crit powers and a few more powers based on role (for example "what would a leader want to be able to do instead of dealing damage on a crit?").

Hope you like it, feel free to come up with your own. If you do, be sure touse Qube's Block builderto make it look nice n' pretty!

Impressive Shot
Like Indiana Jones with the Luger Pistol, you now can shoot THROUGH a creature.
I want to balance this better, but I'm not sure how.

Impressive Shot
You hit the your enemy's weak spot with such force that the projectile
At-Will
Free Action
Trigger: You score a critical hit with a ranged attack that targets AC or Reflex against a creature granting another creature cover.
Effect: The triggering attack's damage dice are not maximized.. You repeat the attack against the covered creature, on a hit you deal half damage.

Amplified Effect
Sometimes you want your crits to do MORE, just not necessarily more DAMAGE.

Amplfied Effect
Whatever was there before, you now have more.
At-Will
Free Action
Trigger: You score a critical hit against a creature.
Effect: The triggering attack's damage dice are not maximized.. If the triggering attack forcefully moved the target you can move it 3 additional squares, if the triggering attack subjected the target to a status effect, that status effect is now ended by a save. If the status effect was already (save ends) the target now takes a -2 penalty on the saving throw. If the triggering attack knocked the target prone the target cannot stand up until the end of its next turn.

Amazing Agility
Whether it be by magic, divine power or your own physical aptitude, the agility of that strike was supernatural to say the least!
At-Will Martial
Free
Trigger: You score a critical hit with a power that targeted more than one creature.
Effect: You target one additional creature, or reroll one attack roll of the triggering attack.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.

Demand Surrender
With your commanding presence or a vivid threat of a worse threat, you demand that your foe yields.
At-Will Intimidate
Standard - Close burst 5
Target:One bloodied creature in burst
Attack:Intimidate vs. Will
Hit: The target surrenders to you and your allies, it drops any weapons it is holding and takes no hostile actions. If your or any of your allies attack the target, it no longer submits to your will and can act normally.
Special: You can not use this power against the same creature twice in the same encounter. If the target is hostile to you it gains a +5 bonus to its will defense against this power. Some creatures cannot be intimidated (DMs descretion)

Vivid Threat / Terrifying Roar
Whether it be with a cunning tongue or a terrifying roar, you distract your enemy, giving your allies valuable time to act.
At-Will Intimidate
Minor - Close burst 5
Target:One bloodied creature in burst
Attack:Intimidate vs. Will
Hit: You intimidate the target. Choose one of the following effects.
       · You mark the target until the start of your next turn
       · The target is distracted and grants combat advantage against its next attack
       · The target takes a -2 penalty to its next attack roll.
Special: You can not use this power against the same creature twice in the same encounter. If the target is hostile to you it gains a +5 bonus to its will defense against this power. Some creatures cannot be intimidated (DMs descretion)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.

Tactician's Boon
Not only do you strike at your hardest, but find a way to make it beneficial to your allies as well.
At-Will Martial
Free Action
Trigger: You score a critical hit using Tactician's Invitation, Bloody Ending, Lead the Attack or Sunder Armor.
Effect: The bonuses granted by your Tactician's Invitation, Bloody Ending and Lead the Attack are doubled. If you score a critical hit with Sunder armor, the next attack that hits the target before the end of your next turn is also a critical hit.

Fierce Assault
Your bold lunge leaves you open to an enemy's attack... or does it?
At-Will Martial
Free Action
Trigger: You score a critical hit using Brash Assault.
EffectInstead of hitting you, the target hits an enemy adjacent to you.

Fellowship is Magic
With your friends by your side and enemy's blood on your blade, you know you cannot fail.
At-Will Martial
Free
Trigger: You score a critical hit using Force of Fellowship
Effect: You are treated as having used Inspiring Word three times this encounter when dealing damage with the triggering attack.

Please don't comment on this thread, I'm using it as a housing for some of the things I want printed out for our sessions. Posting them on the forums allows me to easily edit them :D

Comment.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.

Dragon StormBalasar Attack 5
Wings grow from your back and you let the incredible roar of the ancient dragons.
Daily Arcane, Polymorph, Fire
Standard Action - Close Burst 10
Effect: You fly up to 5 squares into the air and can make your Dragonbreath attack against each creature in burst, even if you've already used your Dragonbreath this encounter. After the attack you fall slowly back to the ground.
Aftereffect: The wings persist until the end of your next turn. You gain the following abilities:
     Total Defense: The defense bonus increases to +4 instead of +2.
     Move Action: You flap your wings, surrounding yourself in dust. You gain partial concealment until the start of your next turn.

Haha, very funny xD

Resonating Armor +2
When an attack hits you directly, the attack is hit by a reactive shockwave of thunder.
Armor: Chainmail, scale or plate.
Enhancement Bonus: AC
Property:
Whenever you are hit by a melee attack the attacker takes thunder damage damage equal to this armor's enhancement modifier.

Tantalos' Black Sword +2
A sword capable of sending even the most powerful of demons back to the abyss, and serves as a prison to evil souls. Its colors and effects seem to change as it increases in power.
Weapon: Heavy blade
Enhancement: +2 to attack rolls and damage rolls.
Critical: +2d10, or +4d10 if the target is undead, a devil or a demon.
Property: Brutal 2 against undeads, devils and demons.
Property: This sword is a prison for evil souls. The wielder of this sword can collect souls to enhance its powers. The sword starts with 0 charges, gaining 1 charge for each soul imprisoned. Whenever the number of charges equal the sword's level it gains a new level and it charges are reduced to 0. With each level its powers and effects increase in potency.
Property: The sword glows a faint green light when in the presence of an evil or chaotic evil being. Some beings, however, are so powerful that they can hide their evil aura, becoming undetectable via this sword. This property can be used to see whether a creature's soul should be captured or not.
Power ( At-Will Necrotic ) : Free Action.
All damage dealt by this is necrotic damage. Another free action returns the damage to normal.
Power ( Daily Necrotic ) : Free Action
Trigger: You hit with a melee weapon attack.
Effect: You cause motes of darkness to burst out and attach to nearby creatures. Make an attack: Close burst 1; targets creatures, Strength vs. Fortitude (apply a bonus to the attack roll equal to this weapon's enhancement bonus); on a hit, the target takes ongoing 5 necrotic damage (save ends). This attack never misses against an undead, devil or a demon.
Charges: [   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ]

Boots of Horror
These industrial boots transfer added strength to their wearer in the time of need.
Item slot: Feet
Property: You gain a +1 item bonus to your Reflex defense.
Power ( Daily Healing ) : Minor Action.
You gain temporary hit points equal to 2d6 + your Constitution modifier.

Gauntlet of Liquid Metal
This strange gauntlet looks like it's made of liquid metal.
Item slot: Hand
Property: You gain a +1 item bonus to attack rolls of attacks that result in a grab.
Property: This item is treated as being a silvered spiked gauntlet, with the same enhancement bonus as your armor.
Power ( Daily Polymorph ) : Free Action
Once per round, you can command the liquid metal to leave your arm and hide within your clothing. A free action commands the liquid to return to your hand.
When you gain another piece of armor or clothing (such as bracers, head item etc.) it is enchanted by the gauntlet, allowing you, once per round, to hide all your armor with a minor action. A minor action calls back your armor.
Power ( Daily Healing ) : No Action
Trigger: You start your turn.
Effect: You end any ongoing damage or any dazed, slowed, stunned or weakened condition currently affecting you.

Willow's Cloak of Invisibility
With the appearance of coarse cotton, but to the touch it feels like the fines silk.
Item slot: Back
Enhancement: Fortitude, Reflex and Will
Property: The enhancement bonus of this item increases to +2 at level 7, +3 at level 12, +4 at level 17, +5 at level 22 and +6 at level 27.
Power ( Encounter Illusion ) : Free Action
Standard action. You become invisible until you make an attack or until the end of the encounter.

An item my level 9 Warlord is about to find in a treasure chest ^^
Still working on the specifics. This item would be OP if I weren't the one who decides the monster's attack bonus xD

Aegis of the Legion +3Level 11+ Uncommon
One for all, all for one!
Neck
Enhancement: Fortitude, Reflex, and Will
Property: You and each ally within 10 squares of you gains an item bonus to Fortitude, Reflex and Will equal to half of this item's enhancement bonus.

Crown Enchanted Bastard Sword +1Level 4 Uncommon
The sword somehpw absorbed the crown's power...
Weapon: Any
Enhancement Bonus: attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1d6 per plus, and you can spend a healing surge.
Property: Once per round when you deal damage to a creature using this weapon you regain an amount of hit points equal to twice the weapon's enhancement bonus.
PowerDaily (Free Action) 
Trigger: You hit with a melee attack using this weapon
Effect: You can spend a healing surge to deal an extra 1[W] damage per plus with the triggering attack. 

Prime of StormLevel 10 Solo BAMF
Large magical beast (dragon)

Initiative10
Aura Name(Essence of Storm) Aura 1; Each creature that starts its turn within the aura and does not have resist or immune cold takes 5 cold damage and is slowed. When the Prime is bloodied, the aura increases to aura 2 an the damage increases to 10 cold damage.
HP 250; Bloodied 125
AC 26; Fortitude 24, Reflex 24, Will 24
Speed: 8, Fly 10
Action Points: 2
Saving Trow: +5
Frenzied Action: On the Prime`s Initative +10 it can take a free action to make a claw attack against one creature within range. If the Prime cannot take this action due to the daze, stun or dominate condition, that condition instead ends.
Claws ( Standard, at-will )Cold
Melee 2, one creature; +13 vs AC; Hit: 2d8+7 damage, and an extra 1d6 cold damage if the target is slowed, immobilized or restrained.
Tail Slam ( Immediate Reaction, at-will )Trigger: A creature moves to a square adjacent to the Prime where he is flanking it.
Melee 1, the triggering creature; +11 vs. the higher of the target`s Fortitude or Reflex defense. Hit: 2d6+4 damage, and you slide the target 2 squares. Miss: The target can shift 1 square
Tempes of the Storm ( Free Action when bloodied, encounter )
Effect: The Prime goes into a frenzy, taking a -5 penalty to all defenses. In addition, whenever the Prime hits with an attack the target and one creature within 2 squares of it take 2d6+3 lightning damage
Melt the Ice ( Minor, at-will )
Close burst 10, Effect: You melt up to 4 squares of ice within range. Sometimes a minions was frozen in that block of ice that now fights at your command. This ability can also be used to make icicles fall fro the ceiling, one at a time.
( Minor, Recharge when bloodied., encounter )Cold, Thunder.
Close Blast 5, each creature within the burst. +12 vs. Fortitude; Hit: 2d10+8 cold and thunder damage. Miss: Half Damage. Effect: The target is pushed 3 squares and slowed

Alignment Chaotic EvilLanguages Common,

Skills [Skill +X, Skill +X]

Str [score (+X)]Dex [score (+X)]Wis [score (+X)]
Con [score (+X)]Int [score (+X)]Cha [score (+X)]

Equipment [equipment]

The icicle is a 2x2 square area attack. +8 vs. Reflex, 2d10+8 damage and the target is restrained. Miss: the target **** 1 square out of the area. Each icicle becomes difficult terrain when it falls.

Counter Jariff: Executing this counter takes up the Prime`s move and standard action.
Requirement: You start your turn grabbed by Jariff
Effect: You fly up. Jariff can choose to let go at any point. If she does not, you proceed to shake her off when you have reached your desired hight. She can try to hang on with a Hard DC strength check.

Counter Shant: Immediate Interrupt
Trigger: Shant teleports to a square adjacent to you. You can make any attack available against him as he appears. You have combat advantage for the attack. If the teleport was part of an attack the attack misses, but he can still finish his action and turn as normal. (Protip: You can even "melt the ice" from undearneath Shant, causin him to fall into the hole)

Counter Willow: Immediate Reaction
Trigger: Willow ends her turn, in which you lost a lifespark
Effect: Make an attack; +13 vs. Fortitude. Hit: You scream "You want my power, take it all!!!!!" and deal 2d10+8 lightning damage, and the target is dazed until the end of its next turn. Miss: Half damage, falls prone.

Counter Tantalos: Immediate Reaction
Trigger: Whatever you feel like
Effect: You engulf im in ice, he i restrained (save ends). He gains a +2 to bonus to the saving throw i he mentions that he is burning hot.... or something.

Counter Adriana
You and Adriana both use the same powesource, but seeing how you are a prime you can actually manipulate her power. When she draws a card from her deck, and gets a successful luck roll, you can as an immiediate interrupt turn it into a failed luck roll