New Campaign Setting: What would you like?

There is currently a lot of people in this post that wish to see new campaign settings. So I thought maybe we could seperate that from that post which really seems to be talking about previous settings.

So the question, what would you like to see in the new campaign settings that may or may not come out in 5e?

Clockwork, Cyberpunk, Pirates, Apocalypse, Kaiju?  
Ant Farm

I would love to see a campaign for ork raiders; the party plays a group of orks pillaging the country side. Their goal is to raise an army and sac a human kingdom, if you included some deep background and political intrigue for the ork tribes this could be a lot of fun.

Most campaign settings have some great forgotten age in the history of their storyline... the ruins of some empire that was the height of civilization, or the long-ago time when magic was more prominent or powerful - I want to see a campaign setting that is before or at the beginning of that portion of its life cycle.

Tales of adventure set against the rise of man, the taking of the world from the ancient evil that grips it, the life of the first great empire, and so on...

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

I will have to get back to you on that. I do know that Eberron blew my mind: I never expected half the wonderful whacky stuff therein. I hope I am equally pleased and surprised with another new setting.

One thing that sold Eberron for me was the evocative 3rd edition art. If a setting comes out dressed up in a unique and colourful style, I will get very excited. 
Member of Grognards for 4th Edition
well if they embrace the 4th edition cosmolegy i would like to see them take it all the way

Sailors of the astral sea campaign setting.

this would mix much of the feal of spelljammer using ships to travel from one place to another, with features of planescape. 
Hmmm... New, eh? Hard to say. What hasn't been done? Eberron kinda took the classic Steampunk approach and put a new spin on it, Dark Sun did the broken desert world, Faerun and Greyhawk are traditional fantasy, Ravenloft was a nice little macarbe setting. Not sure what Dragonlance did, but it's there. Planescape explored several worlds at once. L5R had the oriental setting covered with the Oriental Adventures supplement. D20 modern was... well... modern... Gamma World had the Omega Man theme down pretty good. D&D in space? Might as well play the Star Wars d20 supplements.

About all I can come up with is the classic call for D&D Western, but that almost seems like it would be part Athas, part Gamma World in its execution.

If they want a new setting, I think they should hold a contest to submit new worlds in 5e. Kinda like what they did to come up with Eberron. See what sort of things people throw out as ideas and pick a winner from among those. Might give me a reason to try and flesh out my homebrew a bit more XD
Something Dark and Brutal would be an interesting change.  A world where the mighty kingdoms have fallen, the hordes of darkness have won, brutal orcs ravage the countryside, towns and villages can depend on no one but themselves.  A world where a band of heroes might carve out a small measure of safety and security for those in need.

I'd love to see a world of furries!     Also, how about something tropical with great big volcanos!

Boojum the brown bunny
Perhaps rather than a dark world or location, the characters are living in a golden aged civilisation and world, where darkness has just started to creep in.  Part of the problem is that the 'good' people live in an isolated security blanket (could be continental wide, not just limited to a city) but if the limits are pushed enough more and more dark locations and creatures are revealed.

Evil characters could be part of the spear head for the encroaching darkness.  Good characters are the vanguard & investigators for the powers that be.

As the world is explored more dark locations and demenses are found but also other people who have lived with the 'dark' for so long that they have adjusted to it.

Perhaps rather than a dark world or location, the characters are living in a golden aged civilisation and world, where darkness has just started to creep in.  Part of the problem is that the 'good' people live in an isolated security blanket (could be continental wide, not just limited to a city) but if the limits are pushed enough more and more dark locations and creatures are revealed.

Evil characters could be part of the spear head for the encroaching darkness.  Good characters are the vanguard & investigators for the powers that be.

As the world is explored more dark locations and demenses are found but also other people who have lived with the 'dark' for so long that they have adjusted to it.

You might like LPJ's NeoExodus setting for 3.x/PF.

After a century of conflict the great nations of the world form the Imperial Alliance, agreeing to a single governing body to settle international conflicts and disputes, heralding the begining of a golden age.  Now some 90 years later an ancient and forgotten enemy threatens to tear the alliance apart from the shadows and plunge the world into war once more.

Even if you don't play 3.x/PF the history and setting can offer a lot for a 4E game if you take the effort to convert it.

which dose bring up another point.  There are a lot of good 3rd party settings out there that offered a lot with the OGL.  I really hope 5E makes it easy for 3rd party publishers to come out with creative and interesting settings.
A Wuxia/ Eternal Empire kinda world, or a Roman Era type of age, or a fleshing out of  dark ages like Birthright, or a Greyhawk reboot but more mature; how bout something for guys over 25 years old...
Mtg- just straight out whatever the current set happens to be. 

Steampunk something. (sort of like how the MD renn fest is basically a victorian and/or steampunk fest now, if the vendors and attendees have anything to say about it. Dnd used to be renn inspired, but lets move to victorian/steampunk now.)

A wuxia, the last airbender, mix. 

Nothing inspiried by warhammer in anyway. That would be my big Dealbreaker.  

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"

How about something inspired by something that inspired warhammer?  Because warhammer has been 'inspired' by many things... including D&D.  Infact I'm not sure how something could be classified as inspired by warhammer rather than an original different source without going into so many specifics that the term 'ripped off' would be a better fit.  It simply isn't original enough to be considered a reasonable starting point. 

I would like to see a nice low fantasy setting... not the post-apoc low fantasy of dark sun (which I like) but more along the lines of early-civilisation low fantasy.  Where the use of magic is relatively new and generally distrusted...

The idea of of a peaceful setting where things are about to hit the proverbial fan is also good.

I generally prefer settings where the world is changing around the characters... but there is a risk of limiting the life expectancy of such settings.
I'd like something that stays firmly in low-tech fantasy, that is no gunpowder, no steampunk, no spelljamming, no boot hill, no gamma world, no world war ii. Just good old Tolkien tech level.

Of course, just a bog standard fantasy world has been done to death, so something different would be necessary. I think it could be interesting to have a campaign setting that is built from the ground up with reversed roles. Orcs, kobolds and goblinoids are the "civilized races", their nations and empires covering 90% of the map, although they are still "Klingon-like" in behavior and aren't turned into "humans with tusks" mentality-wise. Then we'd have human barbarian tribes threatening the outskirts of an orc empire, a halfling thieves' guild causing trouble in the hobgoblins' capital city.
prehistoric

Greek

Egyptian

High-psionic

WW1 technology level
I somtimes wonder what would happen if you would place medival fantasy societies in a earlyer time age.

like the Mioceen period where there where no  horses big enough to ride yet ( maybe only for halflings)
saber tooth cats roamed the land.
and any ship could be atacked my a megeladon shark.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indricotherium might be ridden into battle.
and giant sloths tore down trees.

Mtg- just straight out whatever the current set happens to be.

Well, right now it could be covered by Ravenloft...
But I think the D&D crowd should get a go at the Mirran-Phyrexian war (Scars of Mirrodin block).

Also: something with mirror planes, much like PoL with it's Feywild and Shadowfell, but maybe with a more focus on interplanary relations.
Motto - Don't Damn Me, Guns N' Roses http://adhadh.deviantart.com/ - my dA page adhadh.png
"Ye hath the right to remain silent"

I'd like to see a campaign setting which is a bit more like the real world in terms of having much if not most of the world almost totally pacified by relatively secure nation states and cities. The evil is simmering underneath, mostly hidden.

In this context, the nature of the "Adventuring Party" changes from that of the core setting, with most adventurers being on some level officially sanctioned law enforcement, and have to deal with rules of engagement. A setting where the PCs go home to their families in their off hours and have lives outside of adventuring. Get a daily briefing before being told to "be careful out there".

A D&D police procedural, or D&D SWAT team, D&D 'day in the life of a beat cop' type stuff .. D&DPD .. but still in the low tech high magic setting.

I want to settle a domestic dispute between an Orc and a Human and their Half Orc baby. Respond to terrorist attacks. Foil bank robberies and hostage takings. Be a gangbuster. Play good cop/bad cop in an interrogation room. You know, Cops and Robbers type stuff .. but still in the low tech high magic setting.

Since "looting" in this context would be odd, there could be a system by which instead of looting after combat, you get government issued options to equip yourself with before entering combat. Imagine sitting down at the table and the DM has cards representing "the armory", spreading them around between the various players - filling precious item slots with the type of mission specific gear that you guess would be best suited to the mission or patrol at hand. Swap things out with each adventure.

There could be improved mechanics for "breaking up" fights through combat, separating and restraining combatants. There'd still be TONS of combat, but with a twist because of the stronger focus on non-lethal techniques.

Now you're still going to want Dungeons and you're still going to want Dragons. In this context Dungeons are the dark alleys and sewers where criminals lurk, or 'illegal alchemy labs' operating out of hidden caves in the hinterland. Dragons are the equivalent of natural disaters, fighting a Dragon is like fighting a fire or flood.

To flesh out the setting you could have a lot of city maps with descriptions of the various law enforcement departments.. city guards that PCs might join. Descriptions of uniforms and badges, City officials and the types of crimes that are typical in a specific region. Criminal figures, gangs, political agitators. Is the organization you belong to well funded and disiplined, or underfunded and corrupt?

A setting less rag-tag and ad-hoc, instead more structured with the responsibilities well defined. Keep civilization civilized. Think of it as of a "points of darkness" campaign setting. 
I'd like something that stays firmly in low-tech fantasy, that is no gunpowder, no steampunk, no spelljamming, no boot hill, no gamma world, no world war ii. Just good old Tolkien tech level.

Of course, just a bog standard fantasy world has been done to death, so something different would be necessary. I think it could be interesting to have a campaign setting that is built from the ground up with reversed roles. Orcs, kobolds and goblinoids are the "civilized races", their nations and empires covering 90% of the map, although they are still "Klingon-like" in behavior and aren't turned into "humans with tusks" mentality-wise. Then we'd have human barbarian tribes threatening the outskirts of an orc empire, a halfling thieves' guild causing trouble in the hobgoblins' capital city.

D&D isn't well fitted for this.

use instead things likre Warhammer fantasy rpg or Dark Eye rpg rules. 
I would like to see a campaign setting of all robots and mechanical things. Maybe mix some magic and aliens in it.

Apocalyptic setting would be cool where the lands are in waste, and the skies are red by day and black as coal at night.

A new Space/Fantasy campaign like Spelljammer.

A setting that looks at things going on through the Bronze age and Classical Period.  Inland early Palacial empires, Tribal villages and costal city states.  A focus on bronze age tech and getting away from the feudal system.

Also a setting like Ravnica from M:TG the whole world is one huge city, with towering skyscrapers from coast to coast. 
There is currently a lot of people in this post that wish to see new campaign settings. So I thought maybe we could seperate that from that post which really seems to be talking about previous settings.

So the question, what would you like to see in the new campaign settings that may or may not come out in 5e?

Clockwork, Cyberpunk, Pirates, Apocalypse, Kaiju?  

Bring back PLANESCAPE! ...pleeze. The setting with the most wondrous and unique feeling. Never wondered why Torment was so successfull?
I think it'd be cool to have a setting where the gods had only just forged the earth, and the First People still walked it.  It could focus on the different races settling and finding their places, while strange and terrifying beasts(often the only ones of their kind, as rejected ideas of the gods or primordials) lurk in the dark places.

I somtimes wonder what would happen if you would place medival fantasy societies in a earlyer time age.

like the Mioceen period where there where no  horses big enough to ride yet ( maybe only for halflings)
saber tooth cats roamed the land.
and any ship could be atacked my a megeladon shark.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indricotherium might be ridden into battle.
and giant sloths tore down trees.

Holy crap, I would play that 
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.
I wonder if a setting designed with a certain.. progressive edge, a volonty to turn things around would work. Things like China Mieville's kinda leftwing inspired (urban?) fantasy works. And no, not the stereotypes of PCness - a setting with a lot of prejudices, power plays like social classes of the mightiest cultures, and an eberron like focus on things like faith,. the church and lays by example....

That would be a goddamn fine change from the general return to black and white-ness of morals, us vs them, 'evil' being so objective, pcs mighty power yet who cant change **** to the system, etc...

(Disclaimer; centrist speaking here.) 
I would like to see a return to some of the classical Tolkein and fantasy settings where racial differences actually mean something, where politics between rival kings/queens/lords actually affect the PCs and the NPCs... 4th edition's Nentir Vale was just too lacking in any background that might cause strife or at least make for interesting roleplaying opportunities.   Sure, they talked about Tieflings and Dragonborn and their historical war and mutual mistrust, but it never really came into play as part of the "core setting."

Eberron has a lot of intrigue and politics that I like, but even the new FR setting seems to have done away with a lot of the dwarves vs elves history, and Dark Sun's newest form really didn't convey to me the same desperation and racial and city-state inspired deception that I got from the first edition of Dark Sun.

I like the idea of resurrecting Dragonlance... it has the strife associated with the rise of the evil dragons and their minions, it still has the racial tension between some of the ancient civilizations, and yet it also has enough uncharted lands and pockets where PCs could explore or make an impact that starting a new campaign there would be easy.

I can't see D&D going steampunk or too technologically advanced... and although I like the idea of some backwater tribal or barbarian inspired groups, I can't see making that the central focus of the game because you would lose the imagery of the knight in platemail on barded warhorse charging at the dragon... instead it would be a half-naked barbarian riding a giant warpig and it just isn't the same fantasy game.
I would like to see a return to some of the classical Tolkein and fantasy settings where racial differences actually mean something, where politics between rival kings/queens/lords actually affect the PCs and the NPCs... 4th edition's Nentir Vale was just too lacking in any background that might cause strife or at least make for interesting roleplaying opportunities.   Sure, they talked about Tieflings and Dragonborn and their historical war and mutual mistrust, but it never really came into play as part of the "core setting."

Eberron has a lot of intrigue and politics that I like, but even the new FR setting seems to have done away with a lot of the dwarves vs elves history, and Dark Sun's newest form really didn't convey to me the same desperation and racial and city-state inspired deception that I got from the first edition of Dark Sun.

I like the idea of resurrecting Dragonlance... it has the strife associated with the rise of the evil dragons and their minions, it still has the racial tension between some of the ancient civilizations, and yet it also has enough uncharted lands and pockets where PCs could explore or make an impact that starting a new campaign there would be easy.

I can't see D&D going steampunk or too technologically advanced... and although I like the idea of some backwater tribal or barbarian inspired groups, I can't see making that the central focus of the game because you would lose the imagery of the knight in platemail on barded warhorse charging at the dragon... instead it would be a half-naked barbarian riding a giant warpig and it just isn't the same fantasy game.

It's done to death much thought, and the racial differences you see are kinda exagerated - tolkienisms=men with funny ears and all that. 4th ed actually hamped the alieness well.

DL is kinda archaic and had detractors, like pointing at a christian-mormon underlining. 
Why do people keep suggesting a new space campaign setting "like Spelljammer" when we already have Spelljammer? As somebody upset that Spelljammer wasn't updated for 4e, this really ticks me off!

Also, I don't know why D&d hasn't done a JRPG/Anime inspired setting? I mean, that would bring in so much money, and it would bring in a lot of new players. There's also a lot of good material to draw inspiration from, like One Piece, Fairy Tail, The Slayers, Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Warrior, the list goes onward. I am positivly puzzled wh yWizards hasn't tried to fill this fantasy nitche.
Here are some examples of new settings I'd like to see:

A Victorian Era setting: With or without guns I don't really care, but the overall feeling of the victorian era in a setting would be just down right nice.

World Consumed: In some distant part of the past a group of heroes tried to stop a villians plan, but in the end fail catastrophically leaving the planet as a sort of planar junkyard to shift through. With the former god's power up for the claiming, outside gods/devils/demons and etc would see this as their chance to achieve their goals. Sending all manner of servants through onto this broken world to steal what resources can be found. All the while the planet is still full of the creations left behind by the villain. Perhaps even the villain himself still lurks within the plane seeking to claim the now unbound powers for himself.

Planar Spies: So we've had the Blood War going on for quite sometime now, but nothing has been really told about how the Gods try to keep fanning the flames of it. Knowing as long as they can keep those two factions busy with each other they wont turn towards them. So the players are pretty much an elite task force sent by the Gods to keep the lower planes too busy with each other to turn their attention to the Gods. So you'd have characters setting up spy rings from like Sigil to the Abyss working with the powers that be on a daily basis. While this could just be a twist thrown onto planescape I think its still kinda a cool idea.

A solid Arabian Nights style setting, I know the classic one got thrown into Forgotten Realms but there is something cool about the idea. Plus its a fantasy setting I haven't seen attempted since Legend of the Burning Sands.

An ancient world setting, with like Greece/Rome/Egyptian feels to them, yeah if you choose the right critters you can pull this off in regular DnD. Yet I'd like to see a setting during this period.

Primordials vs Gods, we've read our fair share of settings which this happens. Yet, we've never actually had one that has happened during one these great wars. I think it would produce some great roleplay to have champions of Asmodeus fighting alongside the forces of Moradin. All the while you have that inner conflict of good vs evil. 
A good science fantasy setting  inspired by Dune and/or John Carter of Mars would be nice. 
somthing else I have been playing with for a homebrew campaign is the flolowing:

it is somimes hard to find good maps.
what i have been looking into is what a early like mars would be like.
mars has spectacular georrapic features, olimpus mons a huge vulcano, lots of creaters each of withcg cound contail all kind of monsters,the lagest known canion.

A Wuxia/ Eternal Empire kinda world, or a Roman Era type of age, or a fleshing out of  dark ages like Birthright, or a Greyhawk reboot but more mature; how bout something for guys over 25 years old...

...They had a Wuxai setting

god it was so long ago, it was just before or just after 3E came out and it was only off the web site.

I can hardly remember anything about it but it was fun when we tried it.  Instead of a static +2 or what from stats it was a bonus dice.  The higher your stat the higher the dice.  and 18 was something like +1d10 while 12 was like +1d4

Every player was part of a different secret society that determined your special moves and they were secretly trying to overthrow the corrupt emperor and his evil Eunches.

The adventure had the group trying to rescue the empress who had been banished to a forbidden tower and when we found her we discovered she had already died but her ghost told us about a daughter she had given birth to in the tower and had been smuggled out by a maid.

I wish I could remember what they called it

god it was so long ago, it was just before or just after 3E came out and it was only off the web site.

I can hardly remember anything about it but it was fun when we tried it.  Instead of a static +2 or what from stats it was a bonus dice.  The higher your stat the higher the dice.  and 18 was something like +1d10 while 12 was like +1d4

Every player was part of a different secret society that determined your special moves and they were secretly trying to overthrow the corrupt emperor and his evil Eunches.

The adventure had the group trying to rescue the empress who had been banished to a forbidden tower and when we found her we discovered she had already died but her ghost told us about a daughter she had given birth to in the tower and had been smuggled out by a maid.

Dragonfist, it was kick ass, came out at the end of 2nd Ed (based on).  You had Stunts, like you said, which would add bonus (depending on your ability score) dice to your d20 roll.

For classes, off the top of my head, you had Fighter (Heaven's Gate, Red Tiger, Riteous Fist), Cleric (White or Black Lotus Shaman), Rogue (Ghost Eater, Iron Monkey) and Wizard (Great Immortals and Dragon's Breath or something). 

Dragonfist, it was kick ass, came out at the end of 2nd Ed (based on).  You had Stunts, like you said, which would add bonus (depending on your ability score) dice to your d20 roll.

For classes, off the top of my head, you had Fighter (Heaven's Gate, Red Tiger, Riteous Fist), Cleric (White or Black Lotus Shaman), Rogue (Ghost Eater, Iron Monkey) and Wizard (Great Immortals and Dragon's Breath or something). 

YES that's it.

We had a huge amount of fun with that but they never did anything more with it.

and according to Google Fu they sold it to Green Ronin.  Doesn't look like they did anything with it either.
Is it too much to ask for a 5E Ptolus?
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
 The Best in Gaming!
I'd like to see something approaching gonzo high fantasy--a time when poweful empires aren't in decline, but are at their height.   Not necessarily PoL setting, but something like what it evokes from its past--great empires of tieflings, dragonborn, humans, eladrin and elves, drow and dwarfs, even giants, genies, and dragons, all engaged in warfare that fills the skies and oceans and even the underground.  Fleets of airships, massive seagoing and earth-tunneling war machines.  Forgotten Realms made sort of a feeble reach for this in 4e, but never really went there.
Couldn't an entirely aquatic setting work? Lifting just from reality you have horrifying abyssal chasms, vibrant tropical reefs, seaweed forests, marine volcanoes and many other dramatic settings. Land could be a rare thing to venture into just as water is now. Core races could include merfolk, locathah, crabmen and tako - who wouldn't want to play an intelligent octopus? Weapons, armor and magic items could be symbiotic organisms like some of Dark Sun's, and the possibilities for monsters and villains are endless.

Also fun would be a setting from the perspective of tiny fairy or insect folk, a world where a single tree is its own vast environment and a mole is as terrifying as a bulette.
tako - who wouldn't want to play an intelligent octopus?

Thanks, I haven't had any really bad nightmares in awhile.

On a more serious note, I could dig it for a chance of pace. 
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.
tako - who wouldn't want to play an intelligent octopus?

Thanks, I haven't had any really bad nightmares in awhile.

On a more serious note, I could dig it for a chance of pace. 

you should be afraid, those things are all brain.   I heard of one that unlocked it's tank crawled into the tank next to it, ate all the fish and then crawled back to it's own tank.

you should be afraid, those things are all brain.   I heard of one that unlocked it's tank crawled into the tank next to it, ate all the fish and then crawled back to it's own tank.

*rolls Sanity check*
If we're gonna speculate, let's speculate BIG. For instance, I would love to try the new rules in the following milieu.

- Glorantha

- modern-day or the 1930s-60s, but with Cthulhu coming back

- and, hey, no one's doing anything with that DragonQuest world that's just been sitting in WotC's closet all these years. Why not dust it off and see what works? Definitely bring back Paul Jacquay's "Enchanted Wood" for a third time.

People are afraid of octopuses? I thought they were universally admired as either cool, adorable or both.

If there were a new, non-spelljammer science fiction setting, I'd vote for one with no humans or humanoids. People might say they can't relate to a gelatinous heap or don't know how to roleplay an echinoderm, but a vivid enough description can solve anything. One race might be passive intellectuals who love to pursue knowledge and abhor needless destruction. Another might be a belligerent eating machine that lives for the thrill of battle. Everybody know these tropes...does it make a big difference if they're also characters with a dozen eyes suspended in a fluid matrix, other than just being awesome? The real fun would be taking on adversaries that make the PC's look perfectly human in comparison.

Maybe too similar in some respects to ravenloft, but what might a setting be like if ALL beings were undead? They might have been undead for so long, they no longer know what life actually is or where it comes from. Organic matter would be a pecious resource for creating new creatures, and the only organisms born naturally might be maggots and other corpse-eating vermin (making them seem to the undead like a terrifying and all-powerful elemental force)