What type of characters do you like to play?

Beyond race, class, and alignment I have noticed that there are types of characters that people like to play...  having to do with the characters personalities and how they are expressed in the game.  For example, my girl likes to play greedy and violent characters.   Her character's favorite pastimes are getting into fights.   On the flip side, I like to play characters who build something.   To own property, build a store, become an important member of a guild.    The characters class is irrelivant to this choice..   You can have a greedy and violent thief..  wizard..  warlock..  fighter..  priest..  etc..  

Now don't get me wrong, both of our characters are adventurers..  but adventuring is a way to feed what our characters work.  In her case it's earning cash and power and getting into fights.   In my case it's reputation, going on missions that help an organization, earning money to get land and a home.

So I was wondering, what sort of characters do people here like to play?  
    Beyond race, class, and alignment I have noticed that there are types of characters that people like to play...  having to do with the characters personalities and how they are expressed in the game.  For example, my girl likes to play greedy and violent characters.   Her character's favorite pastimes are getting into fights.   On the flip side, I like to play characters who build something.   To own property, build a store, become an important member of a guild.    The characters class is irrelivant to this choice..   You can have a greedy and violent thief..  wizard..  warlock..  fighter..  priest..  etc..  

Now don't get me wrong, both of our characters are adventurers..  but adventuring is a way to feed what our characters work.  In her case it's earning cash and power and getting into fights.   In my case it's reputation, going on missions that help an organization, earning money to get land and a home.

So I was wondering, what sort of characters do people here like to play?  

HMMmm...  I suppose I should bring up the next question I had as well.   What do you feel that the game developers can do to help you play the sorts of characters that you want to play?   Is there some rules aspect that they could include or enhance?    Something that needs steamlining so it works better?

Boojum the brown bunny
What do you feel that the game developers can do to help you play the sorts of characters that you want to play?   Is there some rules aspect that they could include or enhance?    Something that needs steamlining so it works better?

It is all about playing an active PC or a semi-retired PC.

Type I is just the usual PC who travel around the world/planes until his death (or the end of the campaign).

Type II is simply a BECMI D&D's PC, where you had rules for your own Stronghold and about its management.

IMHO Type I needs no help, Type II just needs better rules for Followers (giving you more advantages than in Type I) and geopolitics: it's like playing a single PC or a married PC.
I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Kingdom of Blackmoor against all enemies, foreign and domestic. That I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same. That I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion. And that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter. So help me Odir.
Sometimes I get excited about a character concept, like wanting to play half-crazed seer or a world-weary explorer.

Sometimes I'm interested in some mechanics, like trying to make a character who does cool things with mounted combat.

Mostly I like characters who can do lots of different stuff, like a Bard who can fight and has bardic music and magic, or a rogue with breadth of skills + deadliness, or a druid who can change shape and cast spells and has an animal buddy.

This is why I hope for a system with char-gen customizability. 
I guess I like to try to play something different (if not in terms of race/class, then in personality) each time I come up with a new character.

I love playing my Kender Farthos. He's not particularly strong in combat, but he's funny. I love telling story after story in character that meanders and has no real point. I love checking my pocket and finding that I have some new item I have no idea how I came across.

I love playing Childeric, my tiefling sorcerer. He's a smartass in a Bruce Campbell sort of way. Tough outer exterior. Very practicle in many ways.

I like playing my paladin Zulphar Del Espada. He speaks with a spanish accent, always flirts and womanizes. Forgets how to properly pronounce the other big fighters name properly. Forgets recent events quite easily.

I think, for me, playing a character that has a fun personality is what I like. I suppose I lean towards the humor and lighter side of character personality at times, but the tone of the campaign will decide that.
Learn about Liberty: http://www.youtube.com/user/LearnLiberty Free Market Capitalism is the truest, and best hope for man kind. IMAGE(http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p157/Rumek_Testament/NeoGrognardextracroped.jpg) Visit my blog at: www.theneogrognard.blogspot.com
Hi, first time poster, long time lurker.  As the new edition has crept closer, I've been watching the boards more closely, but haven't felt the need to let my voice be heard.  This subject, however, is one that although seemingly simple, is incredibly important and often world shaping. 

I've DMed and played in 2 through four, dabbling slightly in pathfinder.  It is my personal conviction that, with out a doubt, having well constructed PC characters can make or break a campaign.  Unfortunately, role-playing and character creation (not mechanically, but flavorfully) are often difficult concepts for some new players to wrap their heads around.  Furthermore, little or no support for personality construction besides allignment designation or other similar mechanical things can be found in the PHBs and the like.

I've heard the word "modular" being thrown around for the mechanical aspects of D&D.  Something I would love ot see is some modular stuff for flavor.  First,I'd like to see chararcter sheets designed to help people roleplay.  I think this basic optional addition could greatly aid roleplaying and character creation in general.  It's something that many players already do, and an edition spanning sheet could really bring people together.  Furthermore, Unearthed Arcana from 3.5 had additional character creation mechanics, such as flaws, that could bring PCs to life.  I'd like to see some of that stuff in the basic handbooks for players.

In response to your first question, I enjoy playing characters with largely social skills with "tragic hero" style flaws, with the game's they exist in revolving around them overcoming their flaws (or not).
I've always enjoyed playing the wandering 'do-gooder'.

I think Bill Bixby as David Banner in the Incredible Hulk TV show (from the late 70s/early 80s) nailed the archtype best.  A stranger wanders into town, finds someone in trouble, helps 'em out (Hulks Out a couple of times ;)) and then moves on.

Another good example is The Pretender.   Jarod, the main character had been held kidnapped as a child, held prisoner and secluded for years but now (as an adult) wandered widely.  He was innocent, gentle, childlike in how he saw the world but he also had a dark side.

If someone did wrong to someone else, Jarod would give 'em a taste of their own medicine (so to speak).  Say the bad guy had left a companion in the desert to die; at the end of the episode, Jarod would have 'em believing they were gonna be left to die in similar circumstances (unless they confessed of course).

= = =

Those are two examples of my favorite type of character to play.  Mostly simple and straight forward . . . mostly ;).

/\ Art
I love to come up with new ideas to try out for a character each time I make a new one. I want each to be a completely different animal from the last. But if I had identify a couple characteristics, I would say they have to have a big story and they are always the good guy.

For how it can be achieved, I'm trying real hard to get these concepts noticed by the developing team. That is exactly what you're looking for, I think. 
I tend to play "changed" characters: their backstories are about them doing something completely opposed to what they do now, and how the change happened. Retired military men, religious converts, exiles, reformed thieves, that kind of thing. The only real mechanical support I'd like to see for this is loosening the restrictions on skills by class so I can have it show up on my character sheet, but that's a drum I've banged on elsewhere in the forums.
Rhymes with Bruce
Eyli is a wizard in a campaign where wizards are their own race. Her father disobeyed his lord, who then sent him on an intentionally impossible mission to make up for it. She was kept as hostage and replacement "until he returned." Fortunately, the other PCs freed her. I have an idea she'll journey to the deserts at the edge of world and find some sign her father was there, and journey beyond in search of him.

Another is a peasant trying to reclaim his house's former knight status. His current equipment was gifted to him by a dying knight who relayed his quest to him as well. He enjoys spooky stories, and I question whether any of the other PCs know what his face looks like behind his helmet.

In the new DMG, I hope for a DM-and-player guide on running tales of intrigue, the likes of knightly loyalty, religious sanctuary, royal protections, fealty, and romance to inspire open-ended character conflicts of interest among duty, personal happiness, and virtue. It could play into the "name level" phase of a PC's career, when PCs carry some decision responsibility within a faction.
My favourite class of all time to play was the 3.5 Beguiler from PHBII. He was a bit min-maxed, but only because I wanted him to seem competent. I enjoyed playing the charismatic rogue archetype with a toolbox of magical tricks he could use at will to escape from every situation. I have played a chaotic good beguiler and a neutral evil one. they both played very differently, and used thier abilities to achieve different ends, but in essence the same archetype.

At the moment I am playing a Dread Necromancer, with a heavy RP bent. He was trapped in a crypt as a child, awakening his latent necromantic abilities. He has no knowledge of magic, and his spells manifest at moments both opportune and really unopportune. He is Lawful Neutral, and recently aquired a Chaotic Evil Ghostly Visage as a familiar. Each day he makes a will save, and if he critically fails, the familiar gains control of him for the day.

So in summary, I like outlandish character comcepts that can be executed without being inferior to min-maxed powergamer's characters. I usually choose odd concepts (a kobold monk, a blind cleric and an earth focussed drow druid among them), who tend to instantly fall behind the player with the formulaic elven ranger. If the designers can come up with a way of my cool character actually being playable, I will be happy. 
I play Gnolls.

Woodsy gnolls, demon-worshipping gnolls,  bloodthirsty, calculating or earnest, I love the darn things.

Therefore, racial flexibility- the classes even monster races can play without being suboptimal, is one of my key requests.
Masochistic bat[debutantes avert your eyes] insane tanks are my default. I love soloing encounters HPwise while the rest of the party focus fires from the edge of battle.

Like the Battlemind I ran through Tomb of Horrors. When the wizard tricked her into thinking Vecna had it in for her (We had a fun rapport going), her response was something akin to "Cool, tell him to get in line."

Beyond that pretty much an eclectic mix of builds that strike my fancy, such as the assassin/barbarian hybrid, or weaponized candles, or the graverobbing half vampire weapon master who fights with a shovel. Ooh, and pixie vampires. And so on. 

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
There are two usual things I wind up with on every character ...

1. I'm the good guy.  The true-blue hero.  I help people because it's the right thing to do, and virtue is its own reward.  Compassion, mercy, altruism, all that good stuff.

2. I like jerking stereotypes around, be they race or class.  Gnoll barbarian?  Cool, collected, well-groomed and polite.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
    *laugh*  I have a friend who says "Happy people don't go adventuring."   By that she means that if your happy at home, you either don't become an adventurerer or, as soon as some task is done, you return home and stop adventuring.    It made a lot of sense to me, so I tend to create characters who would not fit in well at home.   Not that they are reviled, necessarily..  but that things are uncomfortable enough that they only return home for visits.  Oddly, the GM's I play under always seem to like these idea's and sometimes run with them.   Like one of my mages who's father had disowned him because he's not going to get kids out of him.  

Boojum the brown bunny

I guess I like to try to play something different (if not in terms of race/class, then in personality) each time I come up with a new character.

I like playing my paladin Zulphar Del Espada. He speaks with a spanish accent, always flirts and womanizes. Forgets how to properly pronounce the other big fighters name properly. Forgets recent events quite easily.

I could not help but think of both Inigo Montoya (from The Princess Bride) and Antonio Banderas' version of Puss in Boots.

Myself, I have always liked to have hybrid/multiclassed characters, but only as long as the combination makes sense.  My favorite is Yanotan, currently 16th level Hybrid wizard/artificer, with swordmage multiclass.  He can deal damage, heal, and fight with the best of them.  He has the alchemist AND ritual caster feats, and enough multiclass feats that he is as powerful a swordmage as he is a wizard or artificer.  He kicks ass.

I could not help but think of both Inigo Montoya (from The Princess Bride) and Antonio Banderas' version of Puss in Boots.

Hehe, that's a bit like what I was going for.
Learn about Liberty: http://www.youtube.com/user/LearnLiberty Free Market Capitalism is the truest, and best hope for man kind. IMAGE(http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p157/Rumek_Testament/NeoGrognardextracroped.jpg) Visit my blog at: www.theneogrognard.blogspot.com
I tend to play characters who are more/less/other than human(oid), though they are iften unamware of this.

I have played the amalgam of an unkillable primordial imprisoned in a human infant by the primal spirits, with the hope that the primordial would learn compassion. Fall Ironclaw was statted as a Longtooth Shifter Warden.

I have played a young animated stone golem that believed he was an amnesiac Goliath. Redrock was, of course, built as a Warforged (also Warden).

Another Warforged was more or less just that, except constructed with angelic and infernal bits to fight against the Far Realm.  He was sort of Rei and an Eva from Evangelion.  Bright was a Battlemind/Paladin/Warlock.

My current character is a barbarian/monk who seeks to control the raging ancestor spirit witin him with ki discipline.

WOTC can help me play these kind of characters by allowing me to build for unarmed and lightly armored combatant, with access to the power of nature or the Outside, and supernatural durabilty.  These are powerful concepts that hopefully can keep pace with other powerful party members, and not be fodder for one attack kills by the bad guys.
Thief, Mage or Multie class Thief/ Mage sometimes assassin
    This is great stuff, but again..  I'm wondering about the non class/race aspects of the character.   Their personality.  Like do you always place the morose loner or the homicidal maniac?  Or maybe your a social animal and want more rules for getting drunk in bars.  ;)

Boojum the brown bunny
Gah... I don't think there's any pattern with the characters I play.

My current is Lilah, an iteneret professor of history at the Grey College in the City of Greyhawk. She's short-tempered with adversaries and those she deems stupid, fussy about things being just so, appreciative of the finer things (but does not like excesses). She's dedicated, professional, hard working and curious and occasionally altruistic, but she can crry a mean grudge.

My next character will be Blyþe Altrandis, a son of farmers that has heard the call of Pelor to go forth and help those in need. A community-minded individual, he abhors iniquity and seeing suffering in others. Easily moved to tears, he's aso the sort that doesn't think about risking his neck for the sake of others.

I've also played Khalid ibn Jazib al-Hawar, a brazen and chaming corsair who's always trying to talk himself out of doing the right thing (and failing miserably). He an incorrigible flirt with a weakness for wanton women, gold and adventure.

There's also been Kalanar, ascused of causing the suicide of his fiancee. His childhood dream was to join an ancient order of wizardy dedicated to the defeat of extraplanar evils and was disavowed by his parents and the other nobles of his community for doing so. Prone to pessimistic outlook, general sulleness, and occasional dispair, he made few friends but cherish deeply those he did make.

Then there's Kammy, an orphaned teenager who grew up on the steets, pretending to be a boy to avoid unwanted attention. Undereducated, underloved and unsure of herself, she used bravado, humor and quick wit to keep herself and those she loved alive and fed.

I dunno, I just love creating and playing characters.
Just like Azzy1974 above I love creating characters, however I never get to play all of my ideas.  I dont think the rest of my adventuring parties would appreciate it if we died so frequently, just to slack my thirst of a new character.

In saying that I do have a few stereotypes (for me) that come to the surface more often than not.
1) mostly female characters.  I believe it was a recent editor of Dragon magazine who used the term 'transvirtual'.  These characters tend to be matronly, bossy but caring, who if not in charge sure as well are not shy to voice their opinions.
2) smaller race male characters.  I tend to play my gnomes, halflings and dwarves against type.  So the dwarf is always gregarious, appreciates elves whilst the gnomes are aloof and loathe jokes and pranking etc.

Other characters I make frequently have a theme which has been thrust upon me or we have jointly come up with, and I bent the character to fit the rules or I deliberately try to go for outrageous personality combinations. 

e.g. Kermit the Frog - Bullywug Bard with a penchant for ham, Raoul - Human Male Paladin who was outrageously camp and a cross dresser, Bender the Alcoholic - Warforged Monk Drunken Master etc.

As a side note it is lovely to see so how other people play their characters.

For incorporating these into the game, I would think that not much rules wise needs to be done.  A great imagination and a willing DM should be all we need in theory.  Perhaps uncoupling of skills from classes and adding in flaws/weaknesses may help solidify things for some.  Im unsure.  I wish I could be more help.
Yanotan is a bit like me in real life:  tall, fairly handsome, though weighing considerably less, lol.

He is personable and brainy.  If the situation presents itself, he would rather talk his way out of a bad situation rather than fight.  However, if there's no other alternative, when he draws his blade and starts casting, he's out to win.  He's faithful to his friends and if a fellow party member is about to face a coup de grace, he will stop it if he can, putting himself physically between the monster and his friend.

For his swordmage weapon, he carries a cutlass, a curved short sword which he finds more reliable in crowded environs (dungeons, forests) than a longsword would be.

One of his utility powers, Swift Mender, takes the form of a metallic chicken.

Like me, he likes food, especially spicy food.  Part of his artificer's kit contains several bottles of spicy pepper infusions, which he liberally sprinkles on his food.  He enjoys a level of spiciness that some might call insane.
According to my group I play weird characters.

Sometimes useless, sometimes great, but always fun to have around (that is a direct quote from one of my group)

Right now I am playing a Grappling focused Monk from a nomadic barbarian tribe with a long history of wrestling.   He is called Ran of the Day, also known as the Savage.

The campaign before this one I played a Priest of the God of Lawyers (while playing down his portfolio of tyranny and slavery...It is possible to worship Asmodeus without being Evil)
My most recent lineup includes:

• An avenger of the sun god in my DM's custom campaign setting, he appeared human but used deva stats due to being a reincarnated form of the deity's exarch.  The campaign trailed off before the reason why could be revealed.  Fairly standard Toa Avenger build-wise, made extensive creative use of Bond of Censure (referred to out-of-character as "Grapple Beam").

• A young eladrin noblewoman who didn't really seem to do much of anything except spout nonsense and swing around a greatspear she couldn't hit anything with.  Her personality resembled a female Cave Johnson, and despite seeming to contribute absolutely nothing in a fight and being verifiably insane, somehow her presence always made everything go more smoothly and when she hid her insanity she could be very charming.  Maximum Int/Cha Lazylord, full-power face skills, 10 Str, only ever had a single power in her entire career that involved actually attackking.

• Currently I'm playing a warforged fighter created by the party artificer to serve as a bodyguard.  Its self-image is built around its pride as a blademaster, and while it places loyalty to its creator above all else, harbors a hidden desire to become the racial deity warforged are lacking.  To that end it constantly seeks to learn more about the construct form, and spends its idle periods creating tiny statuettes of tin that start as aimless explorations in geometry but become gradually more and more focused towards its perception of the ideal form.

I must admit, I've been having fun playing my insane little tiefling Dark Pact Warlock.    He believes that he should rule a world.    The world he did rule slipped into the Abyss and several thousand of the people escaped into a nexus.    After atuning to the crown of dust and many adventures, he found a way to get them out of the nexus using the help of a restored Ul-Athra.   But his people don't have a world of their own anymore, so he's going to tell them that he's going to go off and find them a world... and he just hit 11th level!

Yes, I'm taking the Planeswalker for him.    By all the gods, if he can't find a world for his people he's going to MAKE one.   Then, when it's ready (around level 21) he's going to return and invite those who wish to live under his (sometimes) benevolant rule a home.  Thats going to be his path to immortality!

What really amuses me about the lunatic is that he REALLY believes he should be the ruler of a world, and behaves so...  much to the amusement and sometimes irritation of the other characters in the game.   It's wonderfull when, in a combat, he strikes out in lordly wrath at his enemies.   Sometimes, insane can be FUN!

Boojum the brown bunny
I play quite a gamut. One character I played was traveling in search of redemption, which would be signified by the gods permitting him to die in battle and rejoin his lover. (Yeah, he's kind of messed up.) Another was looking for a kingdom with a wobbly king he could replace with himself. A current one's primary motive for adventuring is to see the world. I have a character (built, not played) who wants to find a place for himself in the world, another who wants to make a place for himself in the world, and a third (played) who thinks she knows her place in the world and is trying to postpone her arrival in that place.
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
Warriors: True combatants who can handle foes of any kind in any form and battle them. True Monster Slayers who don't rely on gimmicks to win but still have their tricks because loosing is for loosers. People who control the field, hold their own and defy their enemy.

Also, face punching kittens with laser eyes. 
Dwarves, love 'em.  Can't say I'm an elite roleplayer.  I like to have fun when I game; I like to joke around.  I've run into a few DMs that get very irate when players are not focusing; very serious stuff roleyplaying.

Warforged on occasion.  Bascially, anything that appears dour or taciturn (as per the old descriptions); I don't do diplomacy well, do it on a daily basis, so why not play something that has no such constraints?  That doesn't mean to say my characters can't be savy when the situation is critical, but in general, I play grumpy.

Also, face punching kittens with laser eyes. 

You know, I've always been interested in the Prince of Hell epic destiny on paper, how well does it work in game?
:33 

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.

A survivor most of the time. Flawed and/or frail but resourceful. Only "useful" far more often then "shining" but hardly ever worthless. I usually have other reasons/motives for adventuring then just a thirst for power/money.

I play all sorts.

I am partial to the "team player."

Also, the "outsider," the guy who is good and helps out the group, but remains apart for some reason. It could be for any number of reasons, his race, his class, background, origin. He sees himself as a misfit, trying to fit in, but doen't know how.

Lastly, the "wanderer." The guy drifts from adventure to adventure with no rhyme or reason. He works well with a group, but is set in his ways. When he's done, he moves on. He doesn't have time for lasting bonds. He's always looking for the next horizon. 
Sign In to post comments