The Forest Doesn't Much Like You: Monogreen Aggro for DKA (Spoilers)

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Again, forgoing deck tags since the system hasn't updated for them.

4 Llanowar Elves
4 Viridian Emissary
4 Strangleroot Geist
4 Dungrove Elder
3 Predator Ooze
3 Thrun, the Last Troll
3 Vorapede 

4 Rampant Growth
4 Beast Within
4 Increasing Savagery

23 Forest

60 Total 

It's a full-on rush to beat the opponent down, and a healthy mix of both hexproof and indestructible keep my creatures from being easily taken out. Additionally, a turn 3 Thrun followed by a turn 4 Savagery is one of the most worrisome things an opponent can face...especially since you can probably flash it back within the next two turns.
You don't really need the ramp in this deck, since your biggest creature is 5cmc.  Also if your plan is to beatdown with a swarm, I think I'd prefer some Overrun over the Increasing Savagery.  Maybe a 3/1 split.

Also I don't remember the name off the top of my head (might be Lone Wolf?) but the DKA card that costs that gives you a 1/1 with Undying would be pretty sweet for aggro.  You'd have one and two drops with undying, 3 and 4 drops with hexproof (one of which gets bigger), and then you can overrun.  Dungrove dodges spot removal and a good deal of your creatures dodge sweepers between undying and regeneration.

So my quick initial thoughts:
-4 Rampant Growth
-3 Increasing Savagery
+4 Lone Wolf?
+3 Overrun
Possibly -3 Ooze and +3 Perilous Myr, since Dungrove I feel is a better 3 drop in mono-green and Mirran Crusader will seriously poop all over you. 
You don't really need the ramp in this deck, since your biggest creature is 5cmc.  Also if your plan is to beatdown with a swarm, I think I'd prefer some Overrun over the Increasing Savagery.  Maybe a 3/1 split.

Also I don't remember the name off the top of my head (might be Lone Wolf?) but the DKA card that costs that gives you a 1/1 with Undying would be pretty sweet for aggro.  You'd have one and two drops with undying, 3 and 4 drops with hexproof (one of which gets bigger), and then you can overrun.  Dungrove dodges spot removal and a good deal of your creatures dodge sweepers between undying and regeneration.

So my quick initial thoughts:
-4 Rampant Growth
-3 Increasing Savagery
+4 Lone Wolf?
+3 Overrun
Possibly -3 Ooze and +3 Perilous Myr, since Dungrove I feel is a better 3 drop in mono-green and Mirran Crusader will seriously poop all over you. 

You've got some good points. I had the Young Wolf in an earlier build, but decided a 1st-turn mana drop would be a better pick. I'll definitely build something in the sideboard to deal with the Crusader, for sure.

I'm thinking something like:

-4x Rampant Growth
-4x Viridian Emissary
-1x Increasing Savagery

+4x Young Wolf
+2x Overrun
+3x Prey Upon/Fog/Unnatural Predation

I can't decide on what would work best. I like Fog's versatility, and Prey Upon would work really well with a lot of these creatures. Unnatural Predation would also be a really neat combat trick for when they chump block a big Thrun.
Ok first off Freyjann is wrong in the fact that green almost always wants mana aceleration, but he is right in the fact that too much is a bad thing in some cases. Overall depending on what effect your going for a total of 8 is minimum. Now since you have dungrove in here I would sugest  viridian emmisary at 4 or if you feel you dont want a agrresive land drop then go rampant. This way your dungrove has a chance to grow along side being able to pop them in the face early on since if they kill the emmisary you arent really loosing a resource. If you go the rampant way you loose a creature but you do get some land filtering.

Next off as a suggestion SB the thrun and put any fog effects in the SB. Thrun is only good in control matchups, outside thoses hes only a chunky butt with no evasion. Fog effects are ok in such a aggro meta such as this one, but overall if you get one its really a dead card unless they swing all out or its the final points of damage. Consider Acidic Slime either in man as a 2 off or somewhere in sb as well. And maybe mess with your mana a bit and get it to 24 since if you add too many high end cards, even with ramp you can sometimes get land droughts

Overrun was a great suggestion and you can cut it with savagry in whatever way you feel comfortable.

Ill come back tomorrow  with more cause my heads spinning from lack of sleep.
"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead." —Jaya Ballard, task mage
Ok first off Freyjann is wrong in the fact that green almost always wants mana aceleration, but he is right in the fact that too much is a bad thing in some cases. Overall depending on what effect your going for a total of 8 is minimum. Now since you have dungrove in here I would sugest  viridian emmisary at 4 or if you feel you dont want a agrresive land drop then go rampant. This way your dungrove has a chance to grow along side being able to pop them in the face early on since if they kill the emmisary you arent really loosing a resource. If you go the rampant way you loose a creature but you do get some land filtering.

Next off as a suggestion SB the thrun and put any fog effects in the SB. Thrun is only good in control matchups, outside thoses hes only a chunky butt with no evasion. Fog effects are ok in such a aggro meta such as this one, but overall if you get one its really a dead card unless they swing all out or its the final points of damage. Consider Acidic Slime either in man as a 2 off or somewhere in sb as well. And maybe mess with your mana a bit and get it to 24 since if you add too many high end cards, even with ramp you can sometimes get land droughts

Overrun was a great suggestion and you can cut it with savagry in whatever way you feel comfortable.

Ill come back tomorrow  with more cause my heads spinning from lack of sleep.

I really like Thrun, though. I tend to play against control matchups often. 

I'm also thinking that I'd prefer to keep Viridian in in order to keep a better mana curve, as well as because it also is often unblocked by the opponent.

So here's the new suggestion:

-4x Rampant Growth
-2x Increasing Savagery

+2x Overrun
+4x Young Wolf 

I think this makes for a good balance, giving me more turn one options and simultaneously also granting some trample.

I'll keep Acidic Slime and Naturalize sideboarded, naturally. They are obviously useful, just not in general aggro. 
Where's Green Sun's Zenith? Bring in ANY creature threat you want. Event better with Viridian Emissary.