Rise of the Mono-Black Zombies, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Undead (DKA Spoilers)

4 posts / 0 new
Last post

I'll be forgoing the deck tags, since these are largely not in the system yet.

4 Gravecrawler

4 Hex Parasite

4 Highborn Ghoul

4 Black Cat

4 Cemetery Reaper

4 Geralf’s Messenger

2 Phyrexian Obliterator 

3 Mikaeus, the Unhallowed

4 Altar’s Reap

4 Smallpox

23 Swamp

Total: 60

Exploit sac engines like Smallpox and Altar's Reap while still maintaining advantage with Gravecrawler and Geralf's Messenger. Hex Parasite allows for repeated usage of Undying, which I can give to anything if I have Mikaeus. Obliterator isn't a zombie, but it's just too tempting not to run him in mono-black. 

One issue I notice is Mikaeus.  He's legendary, so 3-of might be too much, though I understand why you've got so many.  I feel like something should be cut for third Obliterator.  Maybe a black cat?
Playing mono-black and not having four Obliterators. This is a problem. There is -zero- reason not to run four of him. I would also only run 2 or 3 Parasites, and 2 Mikaeus. Grave Titans are Zombie's best finisher.

(at)MrEnglish22

*Let me preface my suggestions with the fact that I believe Zombies cannot compete in the tempo environment and should fall back on control and combo/synergy. That being said, any zombie list should run 4x Darkslick Shores, 4x Drowned Catacomb, and X Swamps (give or take a few other non-basics, such as Ghost Quarter).

Firstly, I feel like the Captain is better than the Reaper. Adds a little synergy and buffers against sweepers. Token Generation is nice, but Deathtouch and combo potential outweigh that (plus there are better methods for Zombie tokens).

Speaking of which, Grave Titan needs a job here, and perhaps Havengul Lich can squeeze in. Like I said, I don't think the low curve will benefit you the same way it does for Humans, hence the consideration of better 5 and 6 drops. However, in a world of Vapor Snags, your bombs need to do something (Titan tokens), which Mikaeus does not.

I'm not sure how it tests, but Endless Ranks of the Dead seems playable now.

Also, Grimgrin combos with the Gravecrawler and Captain quite well.

If you want Obliterators, I too think they should 4-ofs or dropped all together.  

Liliana fits here nicely as well.

If Mikaeeus gets cut (which may be best) or he stays, I think the Parasite is a wasted space. You're setting yoourself back when you try and "fix" your zombies. And that will only occur if you get a Mikaeus. Cut those.

There are a number of possibilities for this deck. Mono-black "aggro" is not one. Just because there are two decent 1 drops doesn't mean it can compete in that realm just yet. They lack evasion and with the inevitable rise of Tokens, Graecrawler will be chumped all day. 

Hope my ideas have helped. Don't let the tribal theme blind you to what good cards there actually are. Think a bit outside the box and you'll be sure to have a fun and competitive deck. Good luck! 
Sign In to post comments